Act 2 – Chapter 38 – Lives taken
180 1 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Few words were spoken as we continued onwards, only the sound of wind was steady, as it carried the snow with it. After the icy beast was fend off the attacks just stopped as if they were all gone. But even then we never expected them to stay away forever. And while we may not even see them coming the seemed to know exactly where we were, giving them the opportunity to strike whenever they want to.

“Maybe it would have been better if we tried to get out of the storm at that point.”

“We made the right choice.”

Even though Narva said this, by now I doubted my decision from earlier. Hours had passed by now and we still had no sign of another whips. And while I did my best to keep the temperature to a comfortable level it did little for Homura. Even though she was still unconscious her worsening condition was easily discernable as tinges of pain flashed over her face.

But as I began to brood over my decision once more, I began to notice how it became a little harder to step forward. The terrain looked the same however, at least the few feet that I could see clearly, making me wonder if finally exhaustion caught up with my body. After walking a few more minutes however I noticed what had changed.

Slowly the ground began to incline, making us walk upwards with every step. And soon enough we saw a familiar, weak blue light shining in the snowstorm. With its appearance a few even started to run as its appearance could lead to an end of this cold that surrounded us, bringing back the warmth they all needed once again.

But as these few disappeared into the snow so did the light disappear as it probably behaved just like those before, flying away before one could get too near to it.

“Wait up!” I shouted after them, but they didn’t hear me over the gushing wind. “Damn! Everyone follow them before these idiots run too far!” We began to run but quickly I began to pause as the sudden movement made Homura groan in pain. “Fuck.” With my hesitation the people behind stopped, making us lose sight of the people before us completely.

“What should we do now?” Someone asked from behind, fear in his voice.

“Let’s just…”

Before I could finish a scream resounded. “Stay away! Hel…” He couldn’t even finish his words, leaving only the wind left to disturb the silence.

“What?” “No!” “I don’t want to be here!”

In the wake of the scream, and most likely the death of another one, the non-combatants were thrown into a panic. The other instead formed another protective circle, glaring at the surrounding snow for anything that might come their way. But the only thing that came was more snow, brought with the wind.

“Stay calm. As long as you stay with us nothing will happen to you.”

My words however did little to calm the group down. Looking in the distance where they disappeared into, I created a few orbs of fire, sending them into the snow to have at least a slightly better vision.

“Let’s start moving.”

Hesitation ran through the group, but even then did they follow after me as they wouldn’t want to be left alone here. Only a few dozen steps later we came across the corpse, or at least half of it, as the upper part was nowhere left to be found.

Once more the group was thrown into disorder, this time even pulling the fighters into it as even they got overwhelmed by their fear.

Damn it, just how should I get this under control. I looked down at the one in my arms. If it were her they wouldn’t even flinch, no, they wouldn’t even be in this situation. But while I was stuck thinking how to resolve this another voice rose up, drowning out everything else.

“Shut up, you fools! Do you want to pull every beast nearby towards us!” Charr screamed, making everyone else fall silent. “We have already stood our ground against them. As long as we stay together, we will be safe. While those that can’t reign themselves in will die in this hellhole.”

He stepped through the mass to stand next to me. Facing forward he continued. “If you don’t want to be next then stay in line.” His expression betrayed his cruel words, but before anyone else could see it he strode forwards. “Let’s go.”

The others were still reluctant, only for the little girl that followed him into battle earlier to shoot out of the crowd and back to his side. I looked towards Narva and without saying anything else we followed after him. At first it was silent, only for footsteps to crush the snow behind us, the others following quickly behind us so that they wouldn’t lose us. Though not without making a big bow around the corpse.

In the front we already caught up to Charr and the girl. “Thank you for…” I began, only to falter with my words.

He didn’t mind however as he answered. “It had to be done. And it’s better if they’re wary of this old man, than of the one who could potentially safe their lifes.”

“That doesn’t make it any better.”

He shrugged his shoulders. “Those I care about know better, that’s all that counts.”

“Chaa, I’m tired.” A childish voice brought our conversation to a halt. Looking down we saw the girl pulling at his trousers. “Don’t wanna walk anymore.”

“Did you forgot to distribute you attributes like I told you?

“I did!” She began to pout, before looking at him with big eyes and widespread arms. “Carry me.”

The elderly leonid sighed, but still complied with her request. After he picked her up, she snuggled herself into his fur.

“So warm.” Her voice radiated pure bliss, only for her to breathe quietly soon afterwards, not even taking a minute to fall asleep. Charr just smiled at her, as he gently stroked her hair.

“What’s the story with you two?” Clearly they weren’t related as one of them was an already graying leonid, the other a small kid whose only hair was that growing from her head to hide a pair of pointy ears. But it didn’t exactly seem like something I could easily ask while she was listening in.

“We found her along with a couple of others in here when their group was attacked. She said that she was separated from her parents which came with her, but we found no one else. At least not alive.” His voice was filled with frustration as anyone could easily guess what had happened to them. “I told her we would look for them together, which let her to stick with me…”

Without him saying it I could feel his turbulent emotions as he looked down at her with a troubled expression, only to mutter while shaking his head. “Just who brings a child with them into this place?”

6