Act 2 – Chapter 41 – Trust
167 2 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Did I get them?

I questioned myself as no outcry resounded. And their bodies were already hidden by the snow, as such I couldn’t even see them anymore.

Maybe I should go after them? No, we shouldn’t waste even more time.

I glanced around before my view rested on the others. A few still kept their guard up, wary for any enemy that still hid within the snow, most however looked towards me, their gazes widely varied. I stepped near, only to notice some backing off within the crowd, a few even grabbing their weapons tighter, causing the voice within me to speak out.

Kill them. Kill those that try to harm us.

“Are you alright?” Narva spoke worriedly as she tried to walk towards me, only to be held back by Charr. “What…?”

He however stared at me, not even caring about Narva’s perplexity. “Are you sane?” He stood ready to pull her back at a moment’s notice while stepping forwards himself to hold me back if necessary.

“I’m okay.”

They’re just scared. Don’t hurt them.

It didn’t respond, but I could feel the underlying pressure to strike at them fade. And slowly my vision returned to normal, as the black flames crawled back along my body to settle down at my arm. Lifting it before me I could see it completely blackened now, contrasting with my other white arm.

Even when I focused back on the group I still saw some of them looking guardedly, those that were there when I lost control or at lest heard of it. They feared me, or better said what I could become if I lost control.

But by now I understood it. This anger, while it definitely had some kind of origin, was now just like me, lost without memories, alone in a strange world. It sought to protect itself, to protect us, by destroying everything that hurt it. Just like a child, that didn’t know better without knowing right from wrong, as only anger and pain remained for it.

This black flame was a part of me. A part I had suppressed, tried to forget about. That much was clear. And while I didn’t knew what would happen if one day we remembered, if this anger found its target once more, for now I knew that I needed it, as it held part of my power, and it needed me, to stop itself from ending alone once more.

As I had lost myself in my thoughts however the group only became wary once more, keeping their distance from me.

I guess its hard for them too. Even if they try to trust me, there is still an underlying sense of fear.

My gaze wandered over them, till it rested on the body of the kitsune.

“Let’s go. It shouldn’t be long till we reach the top of the mountain. We can get some rest after the whisp warms up this region.”

I turned away, walking towards the whisp waiting in the distance, flickering without a care in the world. Only my footsteps resounded at first, before someone followed behind with rushed steps, stopping shortly behind me.

“You still didn’t answer my question.”

Looking back I saw Narva standing there. “I’m fine.”

In response however I gained a skeptical look. “Your body is bruised all over and even had a few bleeding wounds.”

But while my body may had looked like this the integration of my anger left me filled with an uplifting sense of strength. And even then, the wounds I got while fighting the giant worm were far worse, making these seem minuscule in response.

“It will heal within a few hours, a day at most.” When she stepped besides me though, I notice her own wounds, the scales at her arm cracked and tainted in red. “Are you alright?”

“Nothing that won’t heal. I even leveled up after you killed those beasts, so it looks worse than it is.”

“I’m glad.”

We walked for a few more steps, silence reigning between us, before she spoke once more. “Those black flames…” She hesitated, not knowing if she should continue, before she gazed at me resolutely. “When they took over, did you lose control once more? Charr said that they appeared they last time you did.”

“No.” I smiled at her. “Your words were right. It is a part of me. And when I accepted it, we fought together to protect those we care about. Trying to suppress it only made it fight back even harder.”

“But that voice…” She shook her head. “No, never mind. If you say it’s fine than it is.” Then she gave me a smile of her own. “I’m glad I could help.”

 

Our way up the mountain got slower and slower, exhaustion taking over most of the group even the combatants. Only those with a higher level held on, but even they weren’t free of fatigue. But while their condition wasn’t good anymore it was someone else I was worried about.

By now Homura looked far weaker than before, and their aversion to stay near me, or even have my flames near them, only made the cold stronger around them and in return even worse for her.

“There’s no way she’ll hold on like this.”

I barely whispered, not even intending to speak those words out loud, but my voice made Narva look into the direction of my gaze.

“Yeah.” Her reply resounded weakly. “Not if we continue on like this.” Then I felt her hand onto my back, pushing slightly. “Go. I’ll take care about them.”

“Please.” I strained my legs, before I felt a wave of mana flow over me.

“Let me give you a little boost, don’t know how long it will hold though.” She let out a little laugh. “[Wind’s Guidance].”

 


 

“Thanks.” The word barely left his lips before he pushed himself off the ground, a gust of wind enveloping him to push him even farther. And just like the whisp in front, his body soon was out of sight, gone in the snowstorm.

Panicked shouts rang out for a moment, asking where he was going, why he left us, until they turned into a quiet murmur when darker thoughts entered their mind.

“Calm down and listen for a moment.”

My words didn’t interest them, however. Instead an other voice brought silence.

“He must have left us behind. He was tired of protecting us all along. He must’ve realized he wouldn’t gain anything out of it.”

None refuted the voice as despair creeped upon their faces.

They actually believe that!?

My emotions made a complete turn as my happiness to see him rush of for them was dragged through the mud by their response. I could feel something snap in my mind. For the first time in years I lost the mask of the lady I had to wear completely.

“Are you fucking idiots!?”

At my sudden shout they looked at me in surprise.

“He left you too!”

Before I even noticed I had already flickered my hand, sending forth a gust of wind towards the source, sending it flying across the ground. And what was surprise before suddenly turned into shock.

“He left to light the mountain idiot! What do you think will happen if you slowpokes continue to limp around, all while trying to bear the cold because you stay away from the only one that takes care of it!”

I pointed at the few mages I came to know. “If you’re so scared of him at least use your brain and ask them to heat the surroundings.”

I stepped forward, grabbing the beard of the one that irritated me the most right now. Not because of his deeds, but because he made my trust in Agni waver through his words, even if only for a moment. Pulling at it I pulled his face down. And as we say eye to eye I spoke slowly.

“And you, Charr, don’t you dare say anything against him once more. Why do you think he rushed off right now? Because the one you tried to protect will just die like this as you are too distrustful.”

The ball of fur grimaced at me, though he didn’t dare to refute my words.

“What? Got a problem? Only because you saw the black flames cover him you decided that he wasn’t trustworthy anymore, just like the rest of you. Is this how you try to protect her? Letting her die an excruciating, slow death?”

I turned around, walking away from them.

“Where are you going?” Someone shouted from behind panicked.

You really are dumb.

“After him. Any second longer inside this storm won’t make it better. At least we will have better weather if we go further up.”

6