Act 2 – Chapter 45 – Waiting
139 0 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Evening came, but even then the light of the whisps shone bright enough that our surroundings didn’t darken that much. The air inside felt suffocating, as Homura still didn’t wake up, leaving me alone between the rest. And while my one encounter with that old woman showed me that there were those that didn’t see me like a monster there were even more that did so.

As such I sat outside the cave, my gaze wandering above the darkening plane. In the distance the other whisps shed their light on the other mountains, like a beacon in the distance, but they did little to show anything in between each other.

If it weren’t for the voices coming from inside the mountain it would seem like I’m alone in this world. At least until the sound of crunching snow came near, making me look back to the cave.

“So you were here.” A now familiar voice spoke up. With slow steps the elderly woman came forward, sitting down on a stone next to me. “Even outside its cozy with you around. I probably should have gotten a little closer earlier on, instead of facing that cold.” She chuckled at her own words.

“Though my time at the frontlines has long passed. I already had enough to do with keeping up with the group.”

“Even so you’re still alive.”

“Only because I had others to protect me. If it weren’t for those inside, that protected us, and you of course, I would share my fate with those buried in these lands.”

A moment of silence passed, as we gazed upon the icy coffin that this world was, until she raised her voice once more.

“But while we may rely on you that shouldn’t mean all our burden should be pushed on you. You need to rest too, at least leave a few hours of the night watch to me.”

But I couldn’t just divert my gaze from the plane. “I’m still fine. As long as she’s out there, I will wait.”

“It’s one thing to worry about someone, but you trust her, don’t you?”

“Of course.”

“Then believe that she’ll make it back.”

Could this stifling feeling really be worry? It feels so much worse than that.

“In the meantime, you should go back to that kitsune. If she wakes up and you’re not there she’ll only go looking for you and worsen her condition once more.”

Once more I glanced upon the distant mountain. Once more I cursed at my inability to stay by her side. But it was her that told me to stay, that she will be alright. As such I should stay here, waiting for her to come back.

“Thank you.”

“You’re welcome.”

Together we stay there for a moment before I stood up and walked inside and sat down next to Homura. As my gaze passed the entry once more, I saw a group of four, ones I saw fighting before, step outside, giving me a nod in passing as they took the duty of a lookout on themselves.

Then my eyes wandered to Homura, in order to cheek up on her once more. Even though she was still unconscious her complexion was far better. Any sign of pain long gone. By now it was only a matter of time till she woke up again.

Relieved I turned away, resting my back against the stone floor while I looked up towards the whisp and the stars beyond it. But even then my thoughts kept spinning, keeping me from sleeping.

 

Sunlight creeped its way into the cave. Standing up, I stretched my stiffened legs before I walked out of the exit once more. But even now I could barely see more than the white snow, any sign of the others still missing.

Besides the entrance was the group of four. Two kept watching the distance, while the other two had fallen asleep at some point.

“Thank you for keeping watch.”

They seemed flustered at my words, taking a while before one of them answered. “We should thank you. You already did so much for us, while we…” He struggled to continue, only for an outburst to come from inside the cave, stopping him completely.

“She’s awake!”

We looked at each other before we rushed inside the cave. Inside we saw Homura, trying to stand up from her resting place while the others tried to make her continue her rest. Only when someone told her what happened after she collapsed showed she signs of stopping.

But when someone told her about those that left in search for food she abruptly shot up, ready to storm out of the cave. Hands reached out to stop her, but her words made them flinch away.

“Let me go, you shouldn’t have them let go without us. What if something happened to them?”

But as the other moved away I moved to stand in her way, blocking the exit.

“Move! Let me go!”

She pushed her hands against me, trying to force me aside, but while she may have woken up, the whole ordeal still left her severely weakened. And while her strength was normally enough to push anyone away, she couldn’t do anything against me right now.

“What would you even do in this state?”

She didn’t say anything, but she wasn’t about to stop either as she continued to push me

“Believe in them. They will be fine.”

Her struggle stopped, after which she fell down, landing on her knees, the last bit of strength used up in a fit of worry. But I was thankful for this, as else she would have seen the worry on my face as I struggled to believe my own words.

“Let’s get you something to eat, you need to regain your strength.” Fixing my expression, I kneeled down, picking her up to place her upon the blanket Narva got for her. You better come back.

7