Act 2 – Chapter 57 – The end of a world
168 6 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It wasn’t like his previous flames. As I looked at the flames rushing past beside me, they felt like an endless river of fire, gold intertwining with black to push against the snow-white dome.

“What are you doing!?” Once more the woman’s voice rang out, resounding around us without a clear beginning. “I won’t allow you to harm him further.”

Quickly the flames melted the surface, grinding their way into the dome. The whole thing began to glow, the layer of ice thickening around it, but it did little more than slow the constant stream of heat as it made its way through it.

Then, noticing that it wouldn’t hold one, the woman appeared atop of it, reaching out towards the ceiling. One by one icicles began to grow in the air, sparkling in the whisps’ light before they all pointed themselves towards Agni.

“Don’t think I’ll let you do that!”

Pushing my legs into the ground I shot in between them and Agni. Slashing, hacking, punching, kicking, there were only so many I could destroy or at least deflect with my limbs. I felt my body cracking beneath the stress but while I may have my own fire magic it was just too weak to stop these icicles alone, making my resort on my body.

I heaved heavily as my fist cracked as it collided with another spear, bones definitely broken inside, but I still pushed onward, my foot racing against the next icicle. Before it connected however the icicle began to shake, diverting lightly and passing by me.

Fuck! “Agni…”

My voice refused to obey me, the lack of breath proving fatal in my battle between extreme heat and cold. I reached out despite knowing that I wouldn’t reach it, but it didn’t stop its uncontrolled movement until it stabbed in the ground beside him. And only now I realized that the others lost their aim just like the last one.

You did it.

Despite falling down my body started to relax. My eyes wandered over to the dome. Gone was the ice-like woman. Instead I could see the flames clashing against a bluish light, barely as big as a fingernail. It was a fairy, one of the spirits someone who had just began as a summoner could already call forth.

“Is this the end? Am I finally allowed to meet you again, my love?”

It floated in front of a draconoid body, frozen inside the ice, using its own body to keep the other out of the flame’s way. Only when the flames resided, so did its light, both dying out simultaneously, leaving only the body behind, that kneeled in front of an altar.

Then I landed on the ground, unable to even ease my fall as I fell flat on it, all strength used up. From the corner of my eye I could see Agni fall onto his knees, his body flickering like a candle in the wind. But still his eyes searched for me, worry residing inside them when they saw me.

“That’s called defending.” I spoke weakly, forcing a grin onto my face throughout the pain.

I’m not as weak as I was before.

 


 

I shook my head at her words before I tried to stand up. But my legs gave out beneath me, forcing me to stay on the floor. “How about we rest for a little?”

My words brought a little laugh from her before she answered. “That sounds goo…” Her words however trailed into nothingness as the area around us was showered in a red light. Looking forwards I could see a whisp flickering into existence above the altar, only that this one glowed brighter than any before.

The frozen world

 

When a world has fallen most of its previous dwellers choose to search for a new space to live.

Then there are those who would rather rest alongside it, staying behind for their last moments.

Few, however, are those that choose to stand up one last time.

 

A priest ready to cage their faith so that it doesn’t fall into another’s hand.

 

Together they brought stillness to a world once theirs.

Now, the gears of time have begun to move again, bringing new warmth to a frozen world.

Out of the dome heat began to rise, tawing the ice around it in the blink of an eye. Bright red flames flickered up around the whisp, latching onto the dome before they continued onwards. Slowly they spread along the floor, each patch of black stone they crossed turning into magma again.

Homura shook lightly, before she spoke. “I think I used to much power before, can’t move anymore.”

Not good.

I stretched my hand out, trying to stop the flames from reaching Homura but they just continued on.

“Stop you damn flames!”

I shouted at them, but they just wouldn’t stop. Opposed to other flames I felt no connection towards them, letting them refuse my words.

If words aren’t enough.

I dragged my body forward, little by little as the red flames continued to crawl towards Homura.

“Just get yourself to safety.”

I passed beside her, facing the red flames. “You really expect me to do that?”

“Don’t be stupid! Even you won’t be able to stop these flames! We don’t have to die here together!”

I lifted my arm. “That’s right, we won’t die here.” Releasing the black flames, I created a shield of fire to block out the other flames. Only a breath later I could feel the red ones clashing against them.

Who dares to stand in the way of the earthen will!? A voice resounded in my mind, growling like an earthquake itself. For millennia we have been suppressed in that ice cage, we won’t allow a tiny flame to suppress us again!

Little by little I could feel the flames take over mine, the fire in front of me turning red as mine lost out. From there it spread along my body, burning my own flames.

Just turn to ashes!

Engulfed by the red fire I lost my consciousness.

 


 

Feeling him loose consciousness, the white flames began to dance vividly.

You are nothing more than a tiny little aspect, nothing more than a mere spark before the true one.

What!? Who are you!?

A little flicker. That was all that it took for the white flames to reach out. But when that flicker reached the red flames it began to spread like a wildfire.

How can this be!?

My flames are more than enough for you.

I refuse to accept this!

The red flames rose higher than before, trashing around to free themselves. But even then, they had no chance against the white flames, rushing over them without stopping until they covered all but the dome in them.

Release me!

Return to the origin or disappear forever!

There’s no way you are the origin!

That’s true, his flames shine so much brighter than mine.

 


 

“Our time together has come to an end. They did it.”

Suddenly the one I came to know as Narva spoke out to me, her voice resounding with a warmth that was absent prior.

“Stay.”

“This stage has come to an end. Now all of us who don’t belong here will leave again. And even though I may have been born here I don’t believe I will be allowed to stay. See.”

Slowly her body was shrouded in light. I reached out, but before I could grasp her, she disappeared.

Is it time to sleep once more?

The obvious result made its way into my mind, but somehow, after learning so much new I couldn’t bring myself to do so. Though, if her words were true there is nothing waiting in this world for me.

I looked at the spot she just stood at, her presence gone. But left behind were a myriad of colors, seemingly intangible. I waved my hand through them, feeling nothing, even though I could clearly see them.

If they’re not here, I began to muse, they must be at another plane, the one where they came from.

Once more I touched the colors, focusing my powers at them. At first nothing happened, but when I injected the very force that kept me awake it began to change. Flashes of light struck out from my hand, striking at the temple and twisting its surface. And when I started to move my hand, I could feel it.

The same thing that kept me from stepping outside. That feeling that I shouldn’t leave this place.

Though, why should I stay when nothing will ever come anymore?

Ignoring it I ripped my hand through the colors, creating a large gash that shone completely black. Resting my hand against it the feeling only got stronger, urging me to turn away. But with my hand I could feel something else.

The unknown.

The new.

 

And the other one. With this we have reached the end of the second arc - The frozen world.

I would like it if you could share your thoughts on it, things you liked or disliked, or whatever you maybe want to say.

The next arc will start after a quick break, to allow me to built up some chapter, with the first coming on the 7th of december.

4