Inside The Lair
78 1 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

My observation of the new structure before our eyes was broken by Lorn's exclamation.

 

"Impressive construction! The glowing lines running on the building come from a glyph inscription. This building integrity is likely to resist even a plane bombing.

 

One of these lines created the semi-real illusion of the factory we've seen before.

 

Also, there are various lines that I need to inspect before understanding their effects. This is doubtlessly the work of a powerful magic-user. "

 

"Can we enter?" Chloe asked directly. The alarm has ceased and the enemies were likely aware of our intrusion. Each minute we wasted was additional time given to the enemies for preparation.

 

"Of course, the lines on the entrance gate are easier to decipher. They are simple Open and Close type glyphs. I just need a couple of seconds." We followed him to the huge white gate leading to the inside of the cube-like white structure.

 

Lorn moved his hands while shifting them into different symbols. Various glyph appeared on his skin. Their glow, completely ignoring the layers of clothing on him.

 

Suddenly, he locked his palms together before subsequently pulling them apart. The lines running on the door faltered blinkingly as if struggling to maintain their activated state before turning off.

 

"Voilà." He stepped sideways while pointing to the entrance, which was sliding open. A long descending corridor with a dead end, with light sources seamlessly inserted in the walls, was revealed to us.

 

A puzzled expression appeared on all of our faces.

 

From behind the wall marking the cul-de-sac, hurrying steps could be heard. Though, the configuration of the place made me doubt myself. However, judging by the twitching of the two tigers' ears, I wasn't wrong.

 

Arum also confirmed.

 

"Incoming enemies!" Arum rumbled, his eyes an abyss comprising of pure darkness as well as a solitary purple moon.

 

I saw various ghost-like figures appearing all around us. Naturally, it wasn't with my normal sight but with my willpower. When I noticed their presence, I couldn't stop myself from grimacing. Their ability was still incredibly fresh in my mind.

 

Contrary to the mix of vampires, shifters, werewolves, and the likes we just got rid of, the individuals that barged into the corridor were all mages. 'Barged' was not quite sufficient to explain what they did. Preceding their arrival, ripples appeared on the wall. Following that, they had simply phased out from it, like incorporeal beings.

 

I would have taken them for ghosts but their presences were unmistakable. More precisely, their magic.

 

A flash of insight shuttled through my brain.

 

*This unholy grouping of individuals is most likely only composed of mages. Or at the very least a large majority of them. The other sups we crossed, while investigating them or while trying to barge in there, should only have been hired help. Even that guy from Aso.

*The few mages among these hired helpers should not have been true members of the organization. The only ones among those we met who were likely true members should have been the mage Chloe fought inside Orchid city and the one shooting spell at us during the recent battle.

*This would explain why they were capable of casting many complex great spells. Like, when we were attacked in the weapon master territory. They were able to teleport the attackers and recall them when they were unsuccessful.

 

It was a proofless assumption but I felt it to be true. If there was another thing that contributed to this belief, it would be the disparity between the powers of the individuals we fought since the beginning of the investigation. Some of the enemies were powerful and others ridiculously easy to dispatch.

 

*Granted, the easiness may be relative seeing as we are above normal power-wise.

 

If they came from the same background, they should have showcased a similar performance, with maybe the leaders being more potent.

 

*In any case, I will confirm or deny this hypothesis soon enough.

 

I concluded.

 

These new guys seemed like, the real deal if I were to judge by the energy fluctuations they emitted.

 

"Intruders, give up on your foolishness and repent. You can still be saved. If you persist in this stupid act of interference with our Master's plan, even your soul won't be spared." The one at the head of the group spoke with a fanatic tone.

 

Chloe stepped forward.

 

"I am Chloe Crimson, you are committing crimes on MY territory. YOU should be the ones to REPENT and BEG for my forgiveness." Her eyes were now like two miniature crimson suns.

 

The man at the forefront shook his head, echoed by his fellows. Though we couldn't make his expression because of the hood that covered his face, it was easy to sense the condescension imbued in the shake of his head. he had the same demeanor that those who believed others to be ignorant had.

 

"Well, then. An agreement was never on the table anyway." Chloe gave ahead signal to the tiger twins. They instantly pounced fang barred toward the mages' group.

 

Their speed was incredible, the only traces of their motions were blurs of black and white. Our foes were nonplussed. One of them, the man who had spoken before, casually raised his hand. An ice spear materialized from the void and shot toward the charging twins.

 

As the spear drew nearer, almost skewering the Liye who was in front of her sister, a change took place. Lye stopped, letting Vina shield her. The spear seemed to pass through her but it never existed behind. It simply disappeared.

 

The twins resumed their assault with Liye at the front. While running toward them Liye opened her maw and let out a huge roar, the air in front of her shimmered and a spear, identical to the one which had disappeared earlier, shot out toward the opponents.

 

I was surprised.

 

No, I was shocked. I would have never thought that these shifters twins had such an ability.

 

The enemies were shocked too judging by their slackened shoulders.

 

Still, the leader waved his hand dismissively and the ice spear vanished. The twins were now, almost upon them. Seeing this, the leader spoke.

 

"It seems this will be more complicated than expected. Oh, well. First, let shift our playfield shall we?" Just as the twins were mere inches from them he stomped forcefully on the floor.

 

A ring of light appeared under each of us.

 

"Shit, they are separating us! These are most likely transference glyphs." He spoke quickly.

 

I tried to leave the circle under me but I couldn't as if I was surrounded by a physical barrier. I noticed that the twins were also stopped in their momentum by the glyphs.

 

"No matter, they are only delaying their ending. This is my last order before the battle. Show them no quarters at all. Total elimination. Ah, do think about looking out for intel on the individual at the lead of this fanatic cult." Chloe spoke with a chilling voice, her eyes trained on the face of the leader in front of us.

 

Then there was a flash of light. When I regained sight, the others were nowhere to be seen as expected.

 

From the look of it, I was still in the structure. I was now standing before an intersection situated in a maze of white corridors.

 

"Let's find enemies to kill," I spoke out loud and took the right turn without any particular logic.

 

*After all I don't know the place.

 

A few minutes later, I was in front of a door. I made a slight gesture with my hand and the metal door was cracked and twisted forcefully, leaving an opening big enough for me.

 

On the other side, there was a vast room, filled with a lot of mages wearing a green serpent patterned cloak.

 

*Ok, then. It was easier than expected.

 

"Hell-" Before I could finish speaking, I was rudely interrupted.

 

"Death to the intruders!!!!" Various elemental spells rained upon me following those words. The resulting explosion deafened my ears, most likely damaging my eardrums.

 

I was unscathed though. I had willed the air around me to increase in density since I've come across this large group of enemies.

 

*At least I was right, each of them is a mage. Though, I am skeptical about how such a huge gathering could exist without the Mage Council's knowledge. Well, I believe I will find out after ransacking the place.

 

*Still, they are such unwelcoming people. Attacking me, while I was talking. I will teach these fanatics a lesson about hospitality.

3