Chapter 7: The second layer
319 1 13
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

(Haru POV)

My second entrance to the second layer wasn't as dramatic as one could expect. I went inside like before.

This time, however, I switched to my devil attribute as soon as I was inside. Why my devil attribute? Because it is the best option for this place.

This layer is entirely different from the first layer. The entrances to this place move to other locations, as they disappear after you enter. So, once you enter into the second layer, you are forced to search for another exit.

Finding a new exit is a challenging task since they are not in the walls or on a tunnel... instead, the exits are in the ceiling. This doesn't make any sense, but for the sake of peace, I decided to accept it as it is.

I still remember the first time I entered the second layer. The entrance suddenly disappeared, and I panicked from this unexpected experience. It didn't help that a nearby fourth-rank spirit ambushed me while I was panicking.

Oh, right, I should tell everyone how this place looks. I know I'm talking alone, but I need to calm down.

The ground in this layer had the same crystal-like property as the first layer. The new caveat that makes the difference is the darker brownish color of the rocks.

The ceiling was the one of a cave, but strangely clean and lacking stalactites. There are also other structures like pillars, slopes, spikes... In other words, the second layer was just a fucking cave...

There are glowing mushrooms growing everywhere. These mushrooms are the only light source of this layer with their faint white light. However, this light wasn't strong enough, so I had almost zero vision.

So, if I want more vision, why not use my light attribute? Well, my friend. The darkness is the main reason I used my devil attribute. With the devil attribute, I could blend in with my surroundings and deliver heavy punches. This was the best option I had for my current situation. My only concern was this attribute's presence.

Anyway, it is time to finish the scripted event: "I need to appreciate the new area because it is a new area cliché."

With the introduction over, I hid behind a nearby pillar and looked for a nearby spirit. I had to be extra careful in this layer because the spirits aren't brainless like the ones in the first layer.

After looking around, I found the perfect opportunity for an ambush. With my prey in sight, I created a devil spear and fired it at the core of the fourth-ranked spirit. Successfully destroying it in one hit.

I knew I used more power than necessary and may be overdoing it. But I couldn't risk the possibility of not destroying the core. My previous experience here made me warier of this place, more than what I need to be. In any case, it never hurts to be extra careful.

After absorbing the sparks left by the deceased spirit, I found a fragmented core on the ground. If my memory doesn't fail me, the snake ate the core the first time I saw her, right? This means consuming the core would benefit me, so I absorbed it without hesitation.

The energy I gained from the core was superior to the sparks from the deceased spirits. After experiencing such delight, I went on a hunting spree. One-shotting every spirit that crossed my sight.

(Haru POV)

It has been a week since I arrived at the second layer. Today should have been an uneventful day. But today, I saw many earth spirits traveling in groups. Although I knew using the devil attribute was risky, I never expected to be found so soon.

Ever since I reincarnated, I learned that this place was ruled by the law of the strong. So, it was a novelty to see spirits working together. Is the devil attribute more of a taboo than I thought? I knew the name didn't sound good, but it may be worse than I thought.

This doesn't mean that previous hunting methods are invalid. But keeping my existence concealed would become a priority.

With a group of three spirits in front of me, I took my time preparing an equal number of devil spears.

"Why do we have to travel in groups? The high rankers are being too paranoid about this. All we need to do is kill that bastard."(Earth Spirit 1)

"Don't speak like that. Remember the orders: 'We have detected a devil spirit on the second layer. From now on, everyone will travel in groups. Do not engage in combat and immediately report about its whereabouts. If you don't obey, then you will die by our hands."(Earth Spirit 2)

"I also don't like traveling together, but if the superiors could get rid of him, they wouldn't ask us to be careful. I'm sure that bastard is hiding somewhere like the coward he is."(Earth Spirit 3)

Shit... I need to leave this layer now.

I tried to exploit the group's lack of awareness to flee. But before I knew it, they were fighting amongst themselves. This would be fine in any normal situation, and I would welcome it. But once again, lady luck felt mischievous as a missing bullet, or to be more specific, a stray rock, flew at me.

I wanted to ask Lady Luck if I had done something to her, if she enjoyed putting me in these situations, or if she hated me. In any case, it was too late to dodge, so I destroyed the incoming rock.

Seeing the spirits flabbergasted by my sudden appearance was funny. I bet they didn't expect to find the fugitive out of nowhere. Before reincarnating, I never learned how to fight in close combat. Everything I learned was self-taught, so I knew I needed to close the gap and finish them quickly.

I couldn't engage in long-distance combat with them. If I tried to do that, it would be easy for them to find an opening to escape or counterattack. So, I created three devil swords and dashed toward the confused group.

It was too late for them by the time they recovered from the shock I was in front of them. I cut in half the core of the nearest spirit with the first sword while firing a second sword toward the farthest spirit and piercing his core. With two spirits down, I tried to cut the last spirit with my remaining blade. The remaining spirit, however, stopped my blade with an earth wall before it could reach him.

"Ho-how are you here?! How dare you do this!? You monstrous bastard! You'll pay for that! The superiors will know about this!" (Earth Spirit)

"No, they won't know, by the way, why are the spirits so foul-mouthed?."(Haru)

Although he was in great danger, he still had enough energy to complain. This was surprising on its own, and it was precisely like the lackey from a shady organization.

When did the spirits become such a suspicious organization?

Tired from this farce, I fired a devil spear at him from behind him while using my blade on the front. Unable to react, the earth spirit was hit by my spear, and to my surprise, the impact didn't kill him. Instead, he was sent flying and crashed with a nearby pillar.

I took the opportunity to create a devil chain to restrict the earth spirit to the pilar.

"So... you managed to survive. I'll give you one chance. Tell me everything you know about your superiors, and I'll let you live."(Haru)

Of course, this is just a shameless lie. After all, I must do horrible things to survive in this place.

"NEVER! No matter what you do, I won't tell you anything!"(Earth Spirit)

There it is! The 'kuh, kill me' moment! Well... This was the answer I expected, so I wasn't disappointed in the slightest. Still, I need that information, so I must take drastic measures.

There was no time to waste, so I borrowed the technique of the damned snake and slowly crushed the spirit. I increased the pressure every time he screamed until he understood it was better to shut up.

"Silence at last...now, spill everything you know, or I'll make sure you suffer a fate worse than death."(Haru)

"Okay! Okay! I'll tell you everything so please stop! Two days ago, some high-ranked spirits arrived at the second layer. They ordered us to travel in groups and look for you because they felt your presence in this layer. They gave us this task because they couldn't find your precise location."

"I see, then tell me everything about them. I want detailed information, be quick."(Haru)

"They... they are---" (earth spirit)

Before the spirit could tell me about his superiors, I felt a tremendous danger from behind. I ignored what the earth spirit was saying and moved away without hesitation. The attack coming from the back barely grazed me and obliterated the earth spirit.

"You aren't worthy of knowing who we are. You only need to know that your existence ends here"(?????)

13