Chapter 2: The Engagement
193 2 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The crown prince of Calendula, Elias De Clair, was well-known throughout the kingdom as the most beautiful amongst his siblings. Inheriting his mother’s gentle smile and his father’s big turquoise eyes, he received a shower of praises wherever he went. Additionally, he was extroverted and sociable to everyone, including nobles and commoners alike, and thus became the adoration of everyone in Calendula.

However, on the opposite end of the spectrum was the Epidotian princess, Renee Annalise Vellamere, whose entire facial features were unknown to those around her. What was known however was her quiet and reserved personality. Aside from speaking when necessary or asked, she remained silent most of the time. Renee also wore a white veil that covered her face whenever she went out in public and would decline anyone who had asked her to remove it, claiming that it was an Epidotian custom she must abide by. 

However contrary to how the princess acted outwardly, she secretly held feelings for the prince who was like a ray of sunshine to her small, grey world. His smile filled her heart with happiness as he has the first man to ever treat her with such warmth- a stark contrast to the reserved men of Epidote. He also never demanded her to tear down her veil and neither did he ever mistreat her. And in fact, he was always sending gifts to her room whenever he had come back from a long journey.

Now, Elias was a young man who excitable in nature and often liked the thrill of discovering and doing something new. Whether it was going on beast subjugations with the Imperial Knights or travelling to other countries to enjoy new delicacies, the Calendulian prince lived his life one excitement after another.

But, the princess was different from him.

She would often turn down his offer to follow him on a new adventure and only remained within the palace walls to diligently attend her queen education. To Renee, who will one day rule alongside Elias, this was her way of showing support and affection towards her future husband and king. If she didn't learn how to become a good queen, he will not have a stable and happy life.

Unbeknownst to either of them, their feet had already taken them on separate paths. Elias soon stopped asking her to join him whenever he travelled and their interactions decreased.

Reality soon came crashing down. . .

In the fall of the following year, the prince happened to meet a travelling dancer in one of his journeys. The dancer was a beauty beyond any of which his own kingdom could ever offer. She was like a sun goddess who had descended the earth and ignited a passion deep within him. Her wheat coloured skin and alluring golden eyes drew him deeper into curiosity as he couldn't stop thinking about her. And as if someone had wound their fates together, they often found themselves coincidentally meeting one another throughout his stay. It wasn’t long before the two had started to form a connection and slowly fell in love.

Convinced that he couldn’t deny his feelings any longer, the prince made up his mind that he couldn't marry the Epidotian princess and instead wanted to marry the love of his life. But, the problem was ... how was he going to break this news to his current fiancee? Not to mention, his father will be seething red in anger if he found out that he was risking their alliance over a mere commoner.

And so, Elias decided that he will first break if off to Renee and perhaps convince her to help persuade their fathers. After all, she had always been distant to him so maybe she shared similar thoughts as he did.

When King Orpheus and the queen stepped away for their annual checks around the borders, the prince called the princess into the palace throne room. This was the first time in several months that he had personally called for her.

As the princess was brought in by two Imperial Knights, she noticed that the prince, who was sitting on the high chair, had a difficult expression painted on his face. She had not seem him looked this troubled since they have met so she could not help but worry. There were a few guards stationed around the room but they were all the Calendulian guards- where were her own guards and servants?

“Good afternoon, Elias. Why have you called for me?” she asked with a hint of worry laced in her tone.

As they share the same status, they didn't have to include honourifics when speaking to one another and neither did they have to bow to one another when they met.

“Renee, I’m sorry… ”

The princess felt a chill go down her spine and the dark pit in her stomach was gnawing at itself. Something was wrong.

“… What do you mean?”

“I’m sorry. It’s not of any fault of yours, but rather it’s mine.”

“ … ”

“I want to break off our engagement”

5