Break In
29 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A few weeks later, Hex, Owen and Din were all having dinner.

“It’s been months since you sat at the table with us.” Owen smiled.

“I thought it would bring us closer together.” Hex nodded, and stabbed another fork-full of tofu turkey.

“You really don’t mind me eating this?” Din pointed to her plate of turkey.

“I won’t be preachy about it, it’s a personal thing, I can only control myself, nobody else.” He shook his head.

“Alright, I was just wondering.” She sighed, and took a bite.

“You were asking for his permission before you started to eat? It’s your meal” Owen giggled.

“Yeah, I’m not going to control what you eat, just what I eat,” he piped up after swallowing another bit of food.

“That’s a relief.” she said.

They finished up dinner and cleaned up, then parted ways. A few hours later everyone was getting ready for bed. Hex turned on the alarms before everyone went to sleep. He was paranoid about what Zlyena said, yes, but it was better safe than sorry. Everyone said their good nights and went to bed.

Hex was asleep, but a crashing noise stirred him from his slumber. He was a light sleeper, so he didn’t think anything of it, until the alarms started going off.

“Let’s get them before the police get here!” Someone shouted.

He was fully awake right then, and he summoned his sword. He opened his door and, in Din’s doorway, he saw a man wearing a coat that Zlyena said to watch out for.

“Din! Wake up for fucks sake!” He shouted over the beeping that was assaulting his ears, and descended upon the strange man.

“What’s going on?” Din got up, visibly confused and still tired.

Hex caught the Demon Hunter that was going into Din’s room off guard. He slashed wildly, hoping to connect his blade with the Demon Hunter. The sword stuck itself in, but he forced the blade across, and the Demon Hunter cried out in pain and dropped the knife they were holding. A bullet whizzed past Hex’s head. He grimaced and turned his head to look down the barrel of a gun. He slashed again, but harder that time. The strange metal seemed to cut through bone. The Demon Hunter’s arm was cleaved completely through above their elbow, and their upper torso slid off their body and fell to the ground.

He turned to the gun wielding Demon Hunter, who was still aiming at him. He reversed his grip, raised it over his head, and threw his sword at the gunman as hard as he could. A gunshot resounded and another bullet came close to connecting with him. The sword flew across the room and stabbed the gun wielding Demon Hunter square in the chest. It forced itself all the way in. The Demon hunter dropped his gun and fell backwards.

Din came out of her room, and stepped over the dead Demon Hunter. Something weird started to happen to the body, the blood turned into yellow goo and the body started to dissolve.

“What the hell?” Din looked down in disgust.

“I have no fucking idea,” Hex said.

Owen came out of his room and rubbed his eyes.

“What the hell is going on? Why is the alarm going off?” Owen whined.

“Some Demon Hunters decided to let themselves in,” Hex said as he walked over to the gunman’s body and pulled the goo covered sword out.

Owen went and turned off the alarm.

“Lucky we had Hex, who took charge.” Din smiled at him.

“Well luckily for you I always choose fight when fight or flight kicks in.” He laughed and wiped the goo off his sword.

“You doing alright? You’re shaking.” Owen pointed to Hex’s hand, which was trembling.

“It’s the adrenaline, I just need to sit down for a bit.” He sighed and looked down at his shaking hands.

“Go sit, then. That must have freaked you out a lot.” Din went up to him and patted him on the back.

“I just had a bad feeling about the whole thing, now you see why I put alarms up.” He turned and went to sit at the dinner table.

“We know. Besides, you’re the big cheese here, it’s only natural that we’ll follow any reasonable ideas.” Owen shrugged.

“Wow, I haven’t heard the term ‘big cheese’ in forever.” He de-summoned his sword sat down.

“I guess I was watching too many mob flicks or something.” Owen said.

“Is he going to be okay?” Din turned to Owen.

“Yeah, I think so. You can ask him too, he’s still right there.” Owen pointed to Hex.

“You’ll be alright, right?” She turned back to him.

“I’m alright, I just got a case of the shakes.” He rested his trembling hands on the dinner table.

“Maybe you should go lay down, you know, try to sleep,” she said.

“I’m too wired to sleep right now, but maybe laying down would help.” He got up and walked over to his room.

“We’ll let you lay down while the police are on their way.” Owen took out his phone, and dialed for the police.

“Let me know when they get here so I can give my statement.” He opened his door and walked to his bed.

“How are we going to tell them that the bodies turned to yellow goo?” Din piped up.

“Not sure, but we’ve got to tell them somehow.” Owen looked down to a pile of yellow goo, and sighed.

The police came, and they gave their statements. The police didn’t seem to believe them, but Hex didn’t really care, as long as it was the honest truth. The police took samples of the goo and left. Owen had the broken door replaced the next day. Din later told Hex she had nightmares the next few days because she knew she would have died if Hex wasn’t a light sleeper.

0