chapter 7
70 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 7 · Twist

Zoe stood over me holding a tray with two drinks in a deep purple cups and plate with what looked like brownies. She places the tray down on the wooden table and slid into the other seat facing me.

"Thanks," I said quietly "but I can't pay you back for this."

"Ha, you don't have to pay me for this but if you don't mind me asking what with the voice." She asked picking up her drink and sipping on it her hands around the cup.

"I don't mind. It happened when I was a kid and I lost my voice due to my brain being under pressure from a... accident. It took a while but I had to relearn how to speak again but I still can't talk anything above a whisper due to my voice box being underdeveloped.

"That sucks. Did you teach yourself?" She asked still holding her cup to her face.

"No, I had lessons. It took about five years to get it to this level. My uncle tried to get a new treatment for me to try but no one would let them try it on a kid." I reply now reaching for one of the brownies. My tummy was grumbling from the lack of breakfast.

"I thought you told Void you didn't have any family." She replied

"You were listening to my conversation!" I exclaimed before I start coughing on the brownie.

After I stopped coughing Zoe explained "well I had to check you were ok. Voids a bit... on the colder side when it comes to people messing around with his business. I think it one of the only things that keep him going so I had to check he wouldn't try and scare you away."

I sat their not talking slowly munching away. It was a very good brownie with a gooey still harm centre and crispy sides. I watch a Zoe started twitching in her seat.

Trying to not pay attention to Zoe I looked around to see a very thin Tv in the corner of the room. I pretended to be watching it. I know it not like I had said anything import to that ass Void but still did she not trust me. She was like my uncle always shielding me.

I turned back to look at her. Her eyes quickly looked away from me but I could see the worry in them.

It not her fault. I couldn't be trusted. I had proven that from trying to get myself kill to the fact I kept getting knocked out. I hadn't proven myself to her and she had done much for me. I know what it is.

It me. I always push people away and then never talk to them. It what had made me lonely in the first place. It what invited that coldness.

At first, I fault a heard the tapping of rain on the window then when I looked I found I was wrong. Zoe's finger tapped the table with a nearness hand while she faced the window her body causing the light and the small dust particles falling around her that seem to catch twinkle like little embers. I reach out.

I felt the warmth of her hand as I held it " It ok. Thank you for... for everything."

She turned to me. Her wonderful deep eyes stared into mine. I could feel the light their; like a blazing forest fire. The cheeks coloured with a hint of rosy pink while her autumn leaf hair fell in front of her red lips.

I felt myself lead in ever so slowly as I felt her mimic my movements. I could feel her mint sweet breath. I could feel my heart like a hurricane in my chest. Body almost stiff in a mix of shock and interest. I wonder why I had ever been sad.

"Breaking news: superhero has been filmed during a bank robbery showing multiple magic effects. The governor has released a warning to report their happenings while the chairman of the library had yet to give a statement on this turn of events." The Tv hummed loudly.

I felt myself jumping in my seat. I felt my hand pull away as I hit my knee on the table. My face burned. Had I just tried to kiss someone? Had I just tried to kiss a girl and Zoe at that. My hands were shaking.
There was no way that what I just done was right trying to take advantage of Zoe. I looked up to see Zoe red-faced turn to the Tv and her grab her phone. I had tried to take advantage of her when she had already felt guilty about listing in on me.

"I'm sorry," I whisper so quietly only I could hear it.

"Sorry about that." I heard from Zoe.

"N... no, it's me," I whisper trying to sink into the chair.

"Hmm, what? I was just checking up on something," she explained placing her phone on the table "but it not important. So do you have that papers."

I nodded, handed the papers over. Maybe she didn't think that I was trying to.. of course she didn't. It was just me. Maybe it was just in my brain tried from all of this mess.

"So this is for the London mage college. You kind of have to go but you can get time off to do stuff along as it with someone or like not to do with magic. They're a lot of rubbish on here like time, location, risk of death and all that other junkie stuff," Zoey went on going down the paper and tick boxes down the form.

"Did you say risk of death?", I asked think she was joking.

"Umm, magic is not the safest thing but if lots of people died from it then the college wouldn't still be open. Anyway, I go to the same place and iv not hear that many horror stories yet." She said trying to reassure me.

It didn't help reassure me but she did say she went there.

"So will you be doing the same class as me," I asked trying not to make it sound like I wanted to be in the same class. She was the only person I really trusted after all.

"Maybe but likely not. You will be put with others who just got the sight so you will all be able to learn at the same rate and stuff. They will probs tell you when you get there," She explained "now just a few questions. Do you know where you will be living."

Oh hell. I forgot that today was the day my flat was being taken back. I didn't have a job and my uncle had been paying for it but when he found out I stop going to universe for my art degree, which he made me take, he had cut my funds. He still gave me money for food but not to pay my landlord with and it's not like anyone's going to hire a person like me. No one ever even seems to remember me.

"Jade are you there," I heard the voice and looked up to see a worried looking Zoe tapping me.

"Sorry. I did have a place but now I don't." I whisper now just realising I was homeless. I should have tried hard to get a job. I had relied too much on the hope he wouldn't find out. I had gotta away with it for a year but all good thing come to an end I guess.

I look up to look at Zoe expending to see pity or disappointment. She was smiling. She really was crazy.

"This is great it means you can stay with me. We can get you a job and you can help pay rent then Bane will be super happy. This is super great." She almost shouted her face full of glee.

My felt my jaw hang open.

"You would let me stay with you, really," I asked feeling a small smile on my face.

"Oh that. They're a bit of a new thing. Some crazy techno-mage made some magic tiny robots that let some people get magic in a limited way. It would be ok but even people who lack mana site can see them which isn't that bad but some of the older users think its bad." Zoe explained

"So there are real superheroes?" I asked

"You just found out about there being a how new world of magic I think we can forget about them for now," Zoe said before looking at me "and even more importantly we need to find you some new clothes. Oh and toothbrushes and soaps... " Zoe went on thinking to things to buy

"I have some stuff at my old flat. It might still be there." I mumbled.

"Ok, we better get going then. After I go pay. Be back in a second." Zoe said jumping up and walking away.


After we walked down a few streets we walked past a glowing blue barrier.

"What is this?" I asked looking at it.

"Oh, it keeps non-magic people out and keeps the mana in the air dense to stop monsters from leaving. Its to keep people safe." She said with a nod. After that, we keep going

It took a while but we, me and Zoe, managed to convince the landlord to let me take my stuff. He wasn't the worst landlord and I had always paid on time and never got a noise complaint.

It didn't take long to pack my stuff. A suitcase of clothes, a few toiletries and my old laptop. It took about an hour. A short walk there and back to Zoe, and mine I guess, flat.

By the time we got there, my arms were aching, my legs breaking and my spine screaming in pain. After throwing my stuff down in an almost empty spare room. Soon I felt myself crash down on the sofa in an almost dream-like state.

Zoe called me but a failure to move let alone walk over. Soon I felt my mind ease and I fell into sleep. 


Zoe viewpoint ----

She was so cute. Jade. It was such a good name and just like her. Prity and rare. Well, I think Jade is rare. I walked over the chair she was in.

I lent down and picked her up. Like a leaf, so weightless. I walked trying my hardest not to rock her and headed to my room.

Soon I lay her down and as careful as I could undo her coat and shoes. As I place the covers over her I let my smile slip. I felt her cold cheeks, so pale like snow and just as cold too. As I pulled the cover-up I couldn't help fell her chest. She was so thin I could feel her bones like a starved dog.

I leaned down next to her cheek. I could hear her breathing in short breaths. Even with a day of walking around, I could smell Jade. Like fresh lily's.

As slowly as I could I walked out of my room and shut the door. Is it weird that I felt like a creep in my own place? Meh, oh well. I'm sure I had some ice-cream in the fridge unless has Bane eaten it. I bet she would do.

Chapter 19 on Royal Road

0