Arc 1.1
50 1 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Yu Mei woke up to Jie's soft voice in his head. [Mei, wake up.] She was saying. [I'm sending you this world's story and our client's unfulfilled wishes.] A rush of information entered Yu Mei's mind and he held back an audible groan from the sensation. [Oops.] Jie said sheepishly. [I'll be more gentle next time.] Yu Mei shook his head and ran a hand through his hair as he browsed through the story.

The body he was in was named James Foster. Second child of a retired superstar and a powerful businesswoman, he was raised with a silver spoon in his mouth and all the love he could ever desire. He had an older sister who was lauded as a genius in the making and was strict but doting towards him, and parents who would give him anything he wanted if he asked sweetly enough. It seemed like the perfect life, and it was - until James met Melody McKinn, a lower middle class girl with more ambition than she knew what to do with. James was a pampered young master naive to the world, and the moment he saw Melody, with her bright blue eyes and refreshing smile, he fell in love.

He pursued her, oblivious to the fact that she was uninterested in his affections, but smart enough to use him. He took her to all the events his family was invited to, helped her get in touch with high-ranking CEOs, gave her all the money she asked for, and devoted himself to her for three years. Melody quickly rose through the business world as a dark horse, becoming an Executive Director at the age of 23 and important enough that no one in their right minds would provoke her carelessly. All the while she was supported by the power of the Foster family, growing more dissatisfied by the day with the knowledge that without James' love, she could never have even dreamed of reaching her position now.

Then she met Daniel Beau, the heir to the biggest business giant in the world. He had everything - looks, power, wealth, and presence. She desperately tried to get into his good graces and finally managed to enter his eyes when their companies worked together and she proposed an idea that was approved by the entire board. She got the chance to work with him directly, and as the weeks passed, entered a relationship with him. James was kept in the dark about her adultery until he overheard her on a call with him. At first, he refused to believe it, but as more evidence stacked against her, he eventually confronted Melody and they got into a huge fight.

The two ended up breaking up and Melody left James absolutely devastated and heartbroken. When his family found out, they were furious and started icing Melody out slowly. When she figured it out, she went to Daniel and spun a story of how James was trying to punish her for rejecting his advances, and managed to keep them from meeting as Daniel started his attack on the Fosters. He stopped his business with their company, and snatched their people away, slowly dismantling them from the inside until they were left a shell of their former glory.

The last time James saw Melody was on national television, happily announcing her pregnancy and subsequent marriage to Daniel Beau.

Yu Mei let out a silent sigh, feeling both pity yet exasperation at his client. [He just fell in love with the wrong person.] Yu Mei said, [and couldn't taste the poison beneath the sweetness.]

Jie replied, [Yes, but he realized it after. His wishes reflect that, thankfully.] A list popped up in his mind.

{Wishes of the Client:

1. Do not stay in a relationship with Melody McKinn

2. Make sure the Fosters don't fall into ruin

3. Live a happy life without being used.}

[This seems very simple.] Yu Mei said in surprise. He had expected something harder, though he was glad.

Jie cleared it up for him. [That's because you chose to fulfill his wishes. If the client had wished for revenge instead, his list might have included making sure Melody McKinn could no longer enter the business world, and taking down Daniel Beau.]

Yu Mei shuddered thinking about all the work that would require. He was content with his list, thank you very much. [Where have I entered?]

[At this point, James Foster has been in a relationship with Melody McKinn for one year. Tomorrow is the first time he's taking her to a major event, where most of the attendees are prominent figures in the business world.]

Yu Mei's face twisted. [Does this mean I have to kiss her?] He didn't think he could do it. Yu Mei had only ever been in a relationship with other men, and he did not find the prospect of kissing a girl tempting, no matter how beautiful she might have been.

To his eternal gratefulness, Jie responded [No. Melody McKinn has never allowed James Foster to do anything beyond holding hands or cuddling. She convinced him that she was too shy and wanted to wait until they were thinking about marriage.]

It was the stupidest thing Yu Mei had ever heard. [And he actually believed her?]

[That's the blinding power of love.] Jie said.

Just then. Yu Mei heard a phone go off and he turned his head towards the noise. The newest model of phone was sitting on a mahogany nightstand and he could see the contact name 'My Dearest Melody' flashing across the screen. Yu Mei repressed the urge to gag and picked up the call, making his voice as gentle and sweet as possible.

"Hello, dear."

A voice like bells replied. "Hi, James. I wanted to call to ask about tomorrow night."

"Oh, you mean the ball? I thought you said you couldn't go?" Yu Mei replied.

"Yes, but I managed to convince my boss to let me take two days off!"

"But, do you have a dress?" Yu Mei asked, acting concerned.

Melody coughed over the phone. "I don't have any that are good for the ball, so I was wondering..." She trailed off, sounding embarrassed. Yu Mei had to applaud her for her skills in making herself pitiful, he could almost see how James had fallen prey to her charms.

"I'll make an appointment at my tailor for you, just go in and say my name - don't even worry about the cost. Just buy something you love, okay?"

"A-Are you sure?" Melody asked.

"Of course." Yu Mei responded. "Go to the jeweler too and dress yourself up."

"Thank you, James!" She chirped back, saying a quick goodbye before hanging up abruptly, leaving Yu Mei to listen to the dial tone.

[Am I her boyfriend or her sugar daddy?] Yu Mei asked wryly.

[If you want an accurate answer, you're more like her cash cow.] Jie responded cheerfully.

[...You're right.] Yu Mei conceded to her. [Poor kid.]

He got out of bed and went into the bathroom, washing up and going downstairs to the dining room for breakfast. As he walked throughout the estate, he could only shake his head at how lavish it was. Antique vases lined the hallway and large paintings guided his way. He was pretty sure he saw a chandelier made of solid gold and diamonds too.

"What for?" He accidentally murmured out loud, sounding baffled.

He heard a laugh from in front of him and jumped, looking at the person with wide eyes. He saw the first child of the Foster family, Isabelle Foster, standing at the entrance to the dining hall looking at him with amused eyes. "You know Dad loves his eccentric items." She said to him, ruffling his hair when he came close enough.

He pouted, smoothing his black locks into place. "I thought Mom was trying to train him out of that?" Victor Foster, former top idol turned film emperor turned househusband, was notorious for his love of odd objects, often buying so much that they had nowhere to store them. Their mother, Evelyn Foster, finally put her foot down after he bought twelve gold statues of the Greek gods and had them strewn about their lawn.

Isabelle sighed helplessly. "She is, but all Dad has to do is pout at her and she falls apart."

"Ah." Yu Mei uttered, snorting quietly at the image. Twenty years of marriage and their parents were still just as in love as when they first met.

"Which is where you come in, Jem." Isabelle continued. "You have the honor of stopping Dad."

"What! Why me?" He whined, sitting down next to his sister at the table and nodding at the maids bringing in their breakfast.

Isabelle speared a piece of fruit into her mouth, swallowing before replying back to him. "Because if Mom crumbles to Dad, Dad folds like wet paper with you."

"That's because you refuse to act cute to him!"

"I will not raise his expectations." She shuddered. "I've seen the way he cooes at you and I have a reputation to uphold." Victor Foster was the kind of man to openly baby talk his grown children and both of them had absolutely no doubt that he would squish Isabelle's cheeks in front of her business partners if she gave him the opportunity.

Yu Mei acquiesced with a quiet laugh and they ate in pleasant harmony for the next few minutes. Yu Mei was reluctant to ruin it, but he spoke anyways.

"Do you remember when I told you Mel was too busy to come tomorrow?"

The serene smile on Isabelle's face disappeared immediately, replaced by a disdainful scowl. James' sister had hated Melody on sight, and no matter how many years passed or how much her cute little brother tried to convince her otherwise, Isabelle had never wavered on her opinion of Melody - rightfully so. She only kept quiet about her disapproval after James and her got into a fight and he refused to speak to her for a week.

"Hn." She replied shortly, viciously chewing on a piece of mango.

Yu Mei powered on. "Well, she called me just now and said she managed to get time off!" Isabelle's teeth ground on her fork before she coughed and set it down. She dabbed off the juice around her mouth and turned to him, mild displeasure in her eyes.

Yu Mei smiled at her pleadingly and watched as she twitched, pursing her lips before sighing heavily. "Fine." She relented, going back to her breakfast unhappily.

"I know you don't like her, but thank you, Izzy. I love you!" He threw his arms around her neck and kissed her cheek with a loud smooch.

Isabelle couldn't keep a smile off her mouth and she let out a chuckle, resigned to being weak for her little brother.

"Only for you." She said.

2