1
51 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Jared stood in the door of his hut, arms crossed against his chest. The streets were filled with people; as each one walked by they threw him a dirty look. They looked at him from the corners of their eyes, and their mouths pulled downward.

The faces of the community grew sour whenever they looked at him. It had always been frustrating, but he had never figured out a solution to it. They saw him as the bad guy; it got worse with everything he did.

As if the simple success and rewards for hard work were the antithesis to the chosen one.

His brother Jacob had learned to walk with a silver spoon in his mouth. He had been given extravagant parties every summer, and he never had to work a day in his life. Jacob barely lifted a finger and the women all fell at his feet.

The blacksmith made new armor without ever being asked, and left it on his brother's porch. The mayor never collected his taxes. The list went on. Jacob spent every second in the spotlight, everyone waiting for the moment he walked out of the village gates and saved them all.

From something. He was clearly chosen for the job. Jared’s brother was stronger, could speak with anyone effortlessly, and Jared guessed he should give him the fact that it seemed his brother could control ice with his fingers and palms.

Jared rolled his eyes. Everyone was getting ready for the next celebration, and he was simply trying to run an errand. Instead of brewing any further and dampening his mood even worse, he forced his body to move. He uncrossed his arms and closed his door behind him as began to walk.

The crowd parted as they saw him; as they sensed him coming. They would never hurt him, even as their hate for him grew every single day. No one would dare harm the brother of Jacob. The brother of the powerful savior. Jared rolled his eyes — he obviously wasn't done stewing. He shook his head in annoyance at the village and himself and made his feet speed up.

He was on his way to the weapons master to pick up his new sword. He had saved gold for months to get one that was rusting and delicate. To have one of his own that could help deal with wild animals and ruffage near the forest that needed to be dealt with. He may not get it handed to him for free like his brother did every few months, but he was happy to be able to have it all.

Turning sharply on his heel he pushed open the door of his destination, forcing a smile on his face. Seemed he was exerting a lot of force on himself that day, he realized, but he wasn’t sure that could be helped either. Just one of those times where he had a hard time dealing with the hand his village had given him.

“Deckard!” Jared hollered as the dim light inside the shop hit him. The warmth from the equipment in the back hit him as well, and he tried not to let out a huff of breath at it all. “I’ve come with the gold!”

He heard a shuffle coming from the back, which wasn’t surprising. Deckard rarely sat at the front counter, and the teenage counter worker the man called a son would likely be out helping with the upcoming festivities. A moment later the gruff and sweating man came from the back rooms, his apron hanging at his waist.

The man shook his head, looking everyone but straight at Jacob. “I’m sorry but I must cancel our deal.”

Jacob felt his lower jaw go slack. “Excuse me?”

“I’m sorry. I understand you saved up all that gold, but me and the wife talked and…” Deckard trailed off, but as he did a slim woman walked out and stood beside him.

She had a much sterner look on her face and her hands on her hips. “We can’t give you that sword. We can’t give our enemy any more resources, and I for one am not sorry.”

Jared clenched his fist. "Excuse me?" He watched as the woman lowered her eyelids and moved her hands off her hips.

"You heard me. If I have my way you will be out of this village before the season's over, and I don't feel bad about that either."

As he took in a deep breath to try and calm himself, Jared felt his palms heat up. 

1