The stage is set
18 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A large eagle beats its wings  overhead, the majestic bird moved swiftly, as  its Keen eye sweept down below to an unnaturally barren land. The parched plain with spread out wide, surging mountains and daunting Valley adorned the lifeless land. The little amount of green life stood unwavering though weak, thier stems dug deep into the land in Hope of finding whatever little it could to sustain itself. 

  The eagle looked curiously at a strange creature, one which it had never seen. Its white color stood out from the red Earth it laid. Beings similar to it lay at its side, and spread out across the land.  creatures similar to one it has come to see as its master spread out around this strange being.

    One of the creature suddenly swepts its eye towards it, and a chilling cold came upon it. Its Keen senses went into overdrive and he knew he was in danger. He swerved sideways and in haste changed its direction in a bid to put as much distance between it and the danger. Buts its effort where all to no avail.

    An arrow flew at an incredible speed an strikes it right at its chest. The eagle let out an high pitched cry as a mixture of pain an sorrow overcame it. Its wings lost strength and it crashed painfully on the unforgiving land.

*********

"Wonderful, I can't believe you shot it with a single arrow. Those Narfull rebels can forget about sending out more scout birds, we have an incredible marksman here" a boisterous voice rang out aloud behind him, and a large hand clamps down on his shoulder.

   Carefree laughter and claps rang out behind him, as Waiden let out sigh of resignation, as he lowered his bow. Caltus the large man behind him wouldn't let him off even though it was a lucky shot. He won't stop chattering about how awesome he his in his ears for the entire day.

    He turned and the large caltus stood face to face with him. The large man standing before him stand at an impressive 6ft 9in. His body clad in plate armour, a large greatsword clasped to his back and at the left chest, a red dragon emblem laid on it. 

   Yes. Caltus is a knight, better known as Ser caltus hafburn knight of the order of dragons. Waiden couldn't help but wonder what the man saw in him and treat him as a friend. He his nothing more than a gloomy Hunter who took to arms at the call of his liege. a big contrast to the honorable and boisterous knight.

" It's nothing more than a lucky shot" he waved off the compliment and laid out the real reason, even though he knows none of them would actually listen.

A cheerful laughter rang out beside him, as another person joined in "stop being humble Waiden, we know how incredible your marksmanship is. The Narfulls better watch out." Waiden turned towards the voice, and a lazy looking man, leaning on his spear came into his view.  Different from the large caltus or the average Waiden, it's a lanky man who look like he is going to be blown away by a slightly strong wind.

"Whatever." Not bothering any longer, Waiden moved out from the camp towards the bird to retrieve his price and search if it carries any order.

Looking at it, it's a bird, with large wingspan. Had it not acted sluggish, then no amount of luck would have helped him nailed it. Anyways he his more than happy for meat to deliver itself to him. A change of taste compared to tasteless soup and hard as stone bread called food in this camp.

He looked it over and saw nothing that resembles a letter. 'Most be a scout bird' he thought out loud.

Caltus turned around and moved deeper into the camp, most likely to report to the commander. The silent Waiden helped by the lanky no name lifted up the eagle and moved it.

*******************

A wide map spread out in front of him, chess pieces depicting his force and allies and the rebel forces. Rodrath hand wavered over the chess pieces, not sure if he should move his piece forward and in what way, nor what strategy is best to confront the enemy.

   Not getting any answer after some minutes, he angrily slammed his fist on the table "to hell with it."  He cursed through gritted teeth and reeled back on his chair.

    Softly massaging his head, rodrath can't find out why his highness would order him to lead an army. The prince knew well enough his strength laid in charging at the forefront and breaking through enemies formation not strategizing.

   "Damn it" he cursed once again.  The rebels sealed themselves in belltaine. He doesn't have to be a military genius to know that attacking a city with 30,000 defenders with only 22,000 is suicide. 

 "Milord" caltus, one of his most fearsome knights pushed open his tent flap and walked in. The man once took down five other knights and bested them in combat; Moreso, he made it look easy. The large man walked slowly and stopped at soon as he arrived in front of his table.

  Rodrath looked him up and down for some seconds before he asked "what do you have to report."

  "Narfull'a scout birds milord, it was shot down right outside the camp. It has nothing with it, most likely it's just to get our position." Waiden would have been picking up his jaws from the ground had he seen this side of caltus. The playful happy-go-lucky man is nowhere to be seen, only a serious faced man.

Rodrath looked thoughtful at caltus words then gave his orders after thinking for a bit "increase the guards and patrol around the camp. Make sure no birds sneak near again"

The large man nod his head, bowed and turned around. At this time, another man rushed right into the tent. 

Different from the full suited caltus, the man wore brigandine, clear sign he his a man-at-arms. He immediately pulled of his helm revealing a weather beaten face. A long scar from his left ear to his nose adorned his otherwise handsome face.

"Milord, the narfull'a scum has left the city. Their moving towards mount Arrained. They are most likely seeking to ambush the reinforcement."

Rodrath couldn't say how glad he his by this word. Had the scums turtled in their city, then he wouldn't have any chance to decimate them, but since they seek death so much, then he can only grant then the wish.

"Call in my bannermen..... No, spread my words to them. Prepare the troops, we are setting out. The rebels scums end is near.

please point out errors, better choice of words and what might have made the writing better. I'm a novice and trying to get better.

1