Chapter 7: Time Skip
543 1 13
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

(5 Years Later)

"Hurry up Takashi! We're supposed to meet someone to take us to the 5th division!" Matsuri yells towards me as she drags me along.

"Matsuri breathe in. We're early as it is." I reply letting her drag me along. 'She's gotten stronger. She can probably use her pure strength to kill a gillian now…'

"Hey! There you are newbies!" A rough voice calls out from behind us. I lazily turn around to face him as Matsuri jumps at his presence. Looking at the Shinigami in front of me is a man with spiky raven black hair. 'So, this is Kaien Shiba… He does look like Ichigo…'

"Hey, Shinigami aren't supposed to let anybody sneak up on 'em that easily!" Shiba says with a smile on his face.

"Who are you?" Matsuri questions him from my side.

"Kaien Shiba. Nice to meet ya!"

"You're the guy that graduated early!" Matsuri calls out recognizing him.

"Never mind that. This is your very first day at work! Let me be the first to welcome you to squad 5!" He replies not boasting about his abilities.

""Thank you!"" Matsuri and I reply to him.

"You might not be thanking me after I put you through your paces today! I hope you're ready!" He replies with a fishy smile. "Now, get to the squad station for your official welcome. Make sure you speak up loud and clear when spoken to! And stand at attention!"

""Yes sir!""

--

(In the 5th Division)

"You're all here. Good." Lord Seigen says looking over all the Shinigami under him.

"Line up!" Shinji says as he looks over the group.

"As you all know, today we welcome two new members to Squad 5. Stand forward, you two."

""Yes sir!"" We both reply and step forward.

--

(A few minutes later)

"Ugh…." Matsuri groans at the lacking self-introduction she gives. I walk up beside her and pat her shoulder. "It's all right. I'll make sure no one bullies you."

She groans louder at that.

"Hahahaha!" Kaien and Shinji's laughter resounding through the hall.

"You were tripping al' over that tongue of yours trying to get your self-introduction out!" Kaien laughs afterwards.

"It's okay, first love." Shinji says with a deadpan face towards Matsuri.

"Ew!" Matsuri says at that and hiding behind me.

I give Shinji a frown as he crumples a bit.

"Anyway, Kaien will be in charge of giving you guys a tour of the place as well as what is expected of you."

""Yes Lieutenant Shinji!"" Matsuri and I reply back to him.

He gives us a nod before saying "Don't be so formal. I've seen you two grow up from young kids into Shinigami. You can call me older brother!" With a smug smile on his face.

"Ok Uncle Shinji!" I reply to him with my own smirk.

"Tsk. You were cuter as a kid." Shinji says as he starts walking back to the office to start on his paperwork.

"I'd like to say something as well." Lord Seigen says approaching the three of us.

""Lord Seigen!"" Matsuri and I both reply to him.

"…Now that you've become official members of the squad, I'd like you to address me as Captain Suzunami."

"Yes sir! Sorry, Captain Suzunami!" I reply.

"That's all for now. Shiba will show you the ropes." He says as he pats Shiba's shoulder and walks towards Shinji.

"Yes sir!" Matsuri and I exclaim.

--

(A few hours later)

"Wow, didn't you go a little overboard, Lady Konoka?" Matsuri says as she looks at the giant feast prepared on the table.

"But you joined the squad today! That's even more cause for celebration than graduation!" She replies with a smile.

"That's right. By the way, where do you two get those ornaments?" Captain Suzunami asks pointing out the red ribbon resting on my shoulder and the headband with a flower attached on Matsuri.

"Lady Konoka made them for us as a graduation gift!" Matsuri smiling.

"They look nice on them, don't you think?" Lady Konoka says as she giggles a little.

"Yes. I'm so used to thinking of them as little kids but look at them! All grown up." Captain Suzunami says with a laugh.

"We wanted to tell you in the squad station, but…" Matsuri starts.

"It didn't seem appropriate at the time." I finish her statement.

"Yes, well, as captain, I have to treat all my men equally when we're at the station. That's in the best interest of everyone. Including, you two, you can understand that, right?" He says with a sigh.

"Yes, Captain Suzunami!" Matsuri and I yell out.

"Ugh… You don't have to call me that now. Even I like to relax when I'm at home!" Grimacing at our outburst.

"You're the one who set yourself up for that, Seigen! Right, kids?"

Both Matsuri and I let out a laugh as we start eating.

--

(Next Day)

"Matsuri, Takashi, do you have a minute?" Captain Suzunami calls out to us in the squad station.

"Yes sir, Captain Suzunami!" We reply.

"Now that you've graduated from the Shin'o Academy, don't let yourselves become complacent. This is just the beginning of the challenges you'll face as official Shinigami. We don't accept slackers in this division."

"Yes sir!"

He dismisses us as we walk over to Shiba.

"Kaien! We had a couple of questions." Matsuri says walking over to him.

"About what?" He replies turning to look at us.

"We wanted to hear the amazing stories about your days at the academy." Matsuri continues.

"I was only there for two years. I couldn't help it. I finished all the coursework, so they had to let me go." He replies.

"You had enough spiritual power to rival a lieutenant when you entered!" Matsuri exclaims.

"Spiritual power isn't everything," Kaien starting to dig in his ears. "There's no shortage of amazing people among the captains and lieutenants here."

"To be compared to such high ranking shows how strong you are!" Matsuri says not giving up on that point.

"You are a legend, after all, Kaien." I say supporting my sister through the conversation.

"If I do end up being a legend. It'll be for something I haven't done yet. When I do, you guys will help make it something big!"

"Us?" Matsuri questions him back shocked in his belief in us.

'She doesn't know how strong she is... I'll have to correct that soon before she starts having doubts in herself.'

"If you two don't mind that is." Kaien says with a bright smile.

I nod at him.

"Sure!" Matsuri says with a happy smile.

--

Returning to the Suzunami home to visit Lady Konoka; I sense an unknown spiritual presence inside the room with her. Walking up to the door I hear Lady Konoka's voice.

"Yes, they are simply delightful children!"

"I would love to meet them. You speak so highly of them; you've piqued my curiosity." The unknown female voice reaches my ears.

"I'm sure you'll be taken with them, Captain Unohana."

"With such a high recommendation. I may just steal them out from under you."

"I'm afraid I couldn't bear to part with them!"

"Takashi! Where's Lady Konoka!" Matsuri yells from the side.

"Oh, looks like they've returned early today."

Taking a breath I walk in.

I look over to Lady Konoka and then to our guest.

"Forgive me for my intrusion Lady Konoka, Captain." I give a small smile as Matsuri rushes into the room.

"You were supposed to wait up for me, Takashi!" She says with a pout.

"This is my little sister Matsuri, and I am Takashi." I say with a bow towards the captain.

"I am Retsu Unohana." She says with a small giggle.

"She is a dear friend of mine and the captain of squad 4." Lady Konoka adds to her introduction.

Matsuri straightening herself up bows towards the captain. "I beg your pardon, Captain Unohana!"

"This would be…?" Unohana looks to her friend.

"Yes." Lady Konoka replies.

"I understand you are a recent graduate of the academy. There's no need to be nervous. We were enjoying a little tea and conversation. Would you like to join us?" Unohana says towards the two of us.

"Join us please." Lady Konoka says with a gleam in her eyes.

"But I wouldn't want to impose-" Matsuri starts but is cut off by me sitting down beside Lady Konoka and pouring her some tea.

"Matsuri you have to learn when to pick your battles. This one is an instant loss so just accept it." I shake my head at her, before feeling a pinch on my ear.

"Hmmm? And what's an instant loss Mr. Takashi?" I turn towards Lady Konoka smiling, but not one that reaches her eyes. I feel a massive killing intent coming from the captain across the table as well.

"I-I mean that… It's not often I get to sit with two beautiful women and losing this opportunity would leave an unsurmountable stain on my memories." I say stammering out a response.

'I didn't expect Lady Konoka to be so scary.'

Lady Konoka giggles along with Captain Unohana. Before returning to the conversation she glances towards Matsuri and me with a smile.

--

(Captain Unohana's POV a few moments ago)

'Hmm…' Looking at the blond boy and his sister I feel a sudden itch right on my chest. My desire to fight him rising as I look at him. Putting it under control I let out a little giggle at the thought of fighting a junior soul and being excited about it.

--

(Afterwards)

Captain Unohana steps to the door to leave, before turning back. "Takashi and Matsuri. Come to Squad 4 for a visit whenever you feel like." She walks out the door and leaves the residence.

"I can't believe we met the 4th division captain! I was so nervous I can't even remember what we talked about. She's kind, sophisticated, attractive, and a captain to boot!" Matsuri says in one breath.

"It's good that you're finding more goals to achieve." I ruffle her hair with a smile. 'Preferably I hope you don't end up as a fighting maniac like her…'

13