Chapter 19: The Meeting
420 0 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Let's begin the meeting. Yoruichi Shihoin, explain to everyone the situation." The elderly man says with his eyes closed.

"Yes, sir. Judging by the information we gained from our encounter with the Hollow ambush unit the other day, we feel it is likely they will attack the Soul Society again."

"Another attack? So soon?" Ukitake says looking towards Yoruichi.

"I wonder what's behind the strange behavior of these Hollows lately."

"Shihoin let me ask you one more time." The old man says. "You say you definitely heard the Hollows mention Atturo and Arrancar?"

"That's right, sir." She responds.

"Arturo?" Unohana asks.

"Arrancar? What's that?" Ukitake asking his old teacher.

"Arturo is the name of an enemy who once invaded the Soul Society long ago." The old man, Yamamoto, says.

"Invaded? So, this Arturo is a Hollow?" Suzunami speaking up to ask.

"No. He is an Arrancar. An Arrancar is a Hollow that has gained the powers of a Shinigami. Arrancars are intelligent and have reiatsu beyond even the level of captains." Yamamoto explains.

"Beyond captains?!" The few that didn't know of them react with surprise.

"Huh. I see. So, this Arturo fellow has the Hollows under his command, is that it?" Shunsui adds on.

"When Arturo attacked long ago, the Gotei 13 had him on the verge of death, but he escaped. By the time that he escaped he had wiped out half the Gotei 13."

"They lost HALF of their manpower?" Ukitake asks in surprise over not learning this earlier.

"That's right. And what's worse, Arturo wasn't even fully transformed at the time."

"What?!"

"If he were to invade again now in peak form…" Yamamoto's hand clutching the staff in front of him.

The captains present all nod.

--

"Arturo the Arrancar, eh? What do you make of it all?" Ukitake asks the other captains.

"We'll defeat any and all enemies that come our way. That's all there is to it." Suzunami being the first to speak.

"That's the right attitude! But it doesn't sound like an enemy who can be defeated with attitude alone." Shunsui adds.

"Hmm. Now how to tell our squads this news?" Ukitake says with a sigh.

The regal-looking captain walks away from the group. "It's better to tell them immediately than stalling. The 11th will be ready."

--

On our walk to the 5th division station, Suzunami starts to speak.

"Takashi. Matsuri."

"Sir!" We both reply.

"If anything, ever happens to me, I want you to take care of Lady Konoka."

"What?!" Matsuri shouts.

"You can leave it to me, but you won't have anything happen to you while I'm around!" I say with a smile.

"You two are the only two that I can trust with this. You got that?"

We both nod with determination.

--

After a week of tension, we received word that Lady Yoruichi wanted to meet us.

Heading to the second division headquarters we meet up with her. "How can we help?" Matsuri ask.

"It's concerning Soi Fon…"

"You called Lady Yoruichi?"

"Soi Fon?" Matsuri looks at her silently approaching us.

"Hm? Oh, it's you two. What do you want with Lady Yoruichi?"

"Soi Fon, these two are here at my request."

"They are?! O-oh, my apologies!"

"All right. Enough of that. I was just about to talk to them about you."

"About me?"

"Okay here's the thing Takashi and Matsuri. I would like you to consider being friends with Soi Fon."

"Lady Yoruichi, what's this all about? I don't need any-"

"Give it a chance. You've already asked them for advice, haven't you?" Yoruichi says with an all-knowing smile.

"I'm so sorry!" Soi Fon says with a bow.

"What are you apologizing for? It's good to have people to talk things over with. Working for the Punishment Force isn't easy. You have to keep your feelings in check in this job. That's why you need friends to confide in. Otherwise, you may lose touch with your feelings."

"But- But-"

"Even I need friends, you know?"

"You're only friends with Urahara though…" I mumble out.

She looks at me with shock. "You don't consider me a friend? How rude."

She turns back to the previous conversation. "If both sides disagree, I cannot force you. But as far as I can tell, you don't have a single close friend, Soi Fon."

"You've been watching me?!"

"You have a tendency to brood, so I worry about you. Okay, then! I'm going to disappear and leave you to yourselves. Play nice now!"

"Wait! Lady Yoruichi!"

"She's gone, but she's definitely watching from somewhere," I say looking around for her.

"Uh…" Soi Fon starts with a blush on her face.

"So… What do we do now?" Matsuri looks towards me.

"I don't have a choice. If I were to refuse, it'd be like a slap in the face to Lady Yoruichi."

"I thought you might say that. And I'll bet she already taken that into account too." Matsuri says nodding.

"Uh oh." Soi Fon feeling the wind behind her.

"You've got to say it and mean it!" Yoruichi yells from the distance.

"Lady Yoruichi!!" She yells out.

"We're all ears." Smirking at the thought.

"Uh…" She takes a deep breath. "B-Be my friend! If you don't, I'll arrest you!" Her face turning beet red as she runs away.

"She took off!" Matsuri says with a laugh.

"Ya gotta love her!" Yoruichi saying from beside us.

--

(After a Few Days)

"Hi, Soi Fon. Are you on break?" I say walking up to her.

"You two!" She says surprised.

"Don't be so surprised." I say.

"Yeah, we're supposed to be friends, aren't we?" Matsuri adds on.

"Friends, hm? To be honest, I don't really know what it means to be friends."

"Huh?" Matsuri confused by that.

Soi Fon sighs. "The Fon family has been in the assassination and punishment business for generations. Ever since I can remember, my whole life's been dedicated to the Punishment Force. So, I never learned what it means to be a friend. Tell me, what does it mean?"

"Being a friend is… Good question…" Matsuri says.

"Maybe we're analyzing it too much. Let's try doing something together and see what happens." I say.

"I know. What do you like to do for fun, Soi Fon?" Matsuri asks.

"Training. I derive enjoyment from improving myself." She answers.

"Then let's train together." I say.

"Hm. I imagine agents and Shinigami train differently, but if you'd like to try my usual regimen…"

"Bring it on!" Matsuri and I say.

--

Returning home we see Urahara leaving the house.

"I must be going. Thank you." Urahara says to Lady Konoka.

"Urahara? We rarely have the pleasure of your company here." Matsuri says to him.

"Well, hello, Takashi and Matsuri."

"Did you have business here? Captain Suzunami was busy at a meeting… Meaning… Don't tell me you came to see Lady Konoka!" Matsuri yells.

"As a matter of fact, I did. I'm on my way home, thoroughly rejected and utterly dejected."

I walk up beside him and put an arm around his shoulder. "You're kidding right?"

Urahara gives me a weird look. "I was kidding."

"What really brought you here then?" Matsuri asks him suspicious of him.

"Nothing much to speak of." Urahara says with a laugh.

"All right, then. Never mind." Matsuri ignoring him and walking towards the door.

"Takashi, Matsuri. You're fond of Lady Konoka, aren't you?" We both nod at his question. "Yes, I expected as much. Just forget that I was here. And don't tell anyone."

"What are you talking about?" I ask.

"I…. can't say." He immediately starts running away.

"Wow. I can't believe he can run that fast." I say with surprise.

"Didn't he seem a little strange to you?"

"Maybe she really did turn him down!" I reply back to her.

"It's not that… but if it isn't that then what is it?" Matsuri starting to question his purpose.

5