Chapter 1.1
103 4 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 1


 

Ring! Ring!

Jack had his phone to his ear as he waited for his call to go through. His breath fogged over in the crisp cool air as he hummed a little tune over the familiar ringtone. He knew he was being stupid calling this late at night, but he dialed the long-forgotten number anyway.

“One, two. Snake in my Shoe.” Jack hummed under his breath.

The dim glow of the phone illuminated Jack’s face revealing a teenager around the age of fifteen. A boy on the cusp of adulthood but hadn’t yet escaped the curse of puberty. Dark hair, straight nose, and an impish smile on his face which gave him a boyish charm. He looked like any other typical teenager, save for his large silvery eyes which spoke of his noble lineage, but the way he dressed one would never think he was part of the five great families.

The faded white dress shirt he wore looked like it had one wash too many. On top of his shirt, he had an ill-fitted dark vest that hung awkwardly on his gangly frame. He was at the age of random growth spurts and his older one didn’t fit him anymore. An ugly round badge completed his outfit, displaying his ID number in a big bold font.

If any real nobles saw him, they would probably laugh, and yet Jack still felt compelled to dress up. The only thing of real value on him was the gold pin on his collar and the pristine white gloves he had on his hands. They both displayed the crest of a winged serpent curled up on itself. He wore both with pride. Former nobility or not he was particular about the way he was dressed. One should be dapper even in a coffin.

He may be poor, but pride? He had plenty of it. His grey eyes glinted with mischief as he hummed his creepy song under his breath.
“Three, four. Slither some more.”

It’s said that singing to yourself in the dark gave one courage, but Jack’s off-putting nursery rhyme had the complete opposite effect. The few teenagers who were standing beside him edged away warily. Only a short plump boy who was pacing worriedly beside Jack remained behind. The little fatty was so absorbed in his thoughts, he hadn’t even heard Jack. Wiping the sweat off his forehead he glanced at the surrounding kids with suspicion.

It was four hours past midnight. The better part of the night was over, but the moist monsoon air was still biting cold. Being in an open field didn’t help either. Even the slightest breeze cut into the flesh like a dagger. The entire field had the silence of a graveyard. The kids huddled together in small groups speaking in hushed whispers. Their voices sounded ghostly and ethereal in the near darkness. 

There was a palpable tension in the air and the entire field was filled with the crowd’s nervous energy. The kids shifted about uneasily looking around them. Occasionally they would glance expectantly behind Jack’s shoulder as though they were waiting for something.

Jack too wasn’t completely immune to the crowd’s tension. Unable to resist copying his peers, he turned around and a large stage entered his vision. The stage was made from dull grey concrete and looked like someone had sliced the top off a large piece of rock. The raised platform was circular and was lifted about two feet above the ground. Large floodlights circled the edges of the stage but they were put to its dimmest setting. It was barely enough to keep the stage lit, so the crowd around the stage walked in darkness.

Ring! Ring!
“Five, six. Pick up sticks.”

The grass crunched under Jack’s thick leather sole boots, wet with morning dew, despite it being hours away from daybreak. He looked past the crowds into the distance. They shifted about uneasily in the night, their faint mutterings faded to a buzzing in his ears as he scanned the horizon. A stone’s throw away from the crowd armed personnel patrolled the area. Jack could only barely sense them at the edge of his perception. Their camouflaged clothing almost perfectly blended them into the dark. Even their rifles in their hands were sanded down to mask their shine.

The security was airtight. Even further away, Jack could barely make out giant mechs guarding the perimeter. They were completely surrounded.

“Seven, eight. String the bait.”

The kids paced restlessly in the dark about the central stage. Most wore coats or jackets to protect them from the morning chill, though none of them had put in the effort to dress up like Jack had. Their clothes were all travel-worn and utilitarian. The one thing they did have in common was the ugly round badge pinned to their chests. Few of the kids who didn't have any coats were rubbing their palms together to warm them up.

The whole place had the solemnity of a graveyard. You could cut the tension in the air with a knife. The dimly lit stage was the only source of light for miles but it was so faint that it could barely keep the entire stage lit. The shifting shadows in the near darkness only added to the tension that everyone was already feeling.

“Shit, Shit, Shit!”

Jack sighed. He pulled the phone that was still trying to make the call away from his ear and looked at his plump friend in front of him.
“Seriously. Get a grip, Soja!”

Soja continued pacing, biting his lip. His round face looked terrified and his messy sandy brown hair was in disarray. Fiddling with the round badge on his chest, he walked around in circles with his small stubby legs. He wasn't exactly short, but with his hunched back he looked much smaller than he was. With lips quivering and watery eyes, he looked at each and every passing kid with wariness.

“You will give yourself an ulcer at this rate, Soj.”

Soja shook his head trying to clear his thoughts but to no avail. it seemed that whatever was eating at him wouldn't go away from a simple talking to.
“I need this Jackie. We need this. This could change our lives and you are telling me not to worry?” exclaimed Soja. "And why do you keep singing that song? It's so creepy."

Jack shook his head, grinning and went back to his call. The phone kept ringing unanswered.
"Nine, ten. Start again."

Ignoring Soja still pacing behind him, he looked past the crowd and the grassy fields onto the horizon. Ahead in the distance, there was the silhouette of a city, its bright lights warm and inviting. Hundreds of airships were traveling to and fro from the city, like a river of tiny stars near daybreak. Central had always been the commercial hub of this region. The amount of goods coming into the city in raw tonnage was staggering, comparing to the quaint little town he now called home. He lived here once a long time ago, but now it seemed as alien as the Dungeon depths below their feet.

The rumble of an airship flying overhead was heard as it passed over the waiting crowd. A few of the kids looked up, but soon ignored it as it quickly disappeared from view. It too joined the many twinkling lights making for the city.

Looking at the distant city it drove home how far away from civilization they really were. He had no idea what they were brought here to do, but whatever it was it didn't look good. Actually, he could take a few guesses to the reason for their little expedition, but it was best not to voice it out loud considering his present company.

“Shit. Dammit!”

Jack glanced behind him. Soja was in a right state. His already messy hair was standing on its ends like someone has been pulling on it.

“What the hell will they throw at us this time? Spirit beasts? The Dungeon?” Soja turned to Jack and spoke in a hushed whisper. “What if they make us fight Converts?”

Jack’s lips twitched. Usually, he would have messed with the little worrywart but this day was too important to be screwing around. His grey eyes flashed with amusement but he schooled his features. Straightening his face, he was about to answer when he was interrupted.

“Only the good Lord knows what trials await his faithful,” said a voice drifting through the scattered crowd. “So, getting your panties in a twist isn't going to help, Soj.”

“Tanner!” Soja exclaimed.

A tall boy about the age of fifteen was walking towards them with his hands in his pockets. He had an attractive face and his long hair was tied behind his head in a man bun. His androgynous face was pretty. If it wasn't for how toned he looked, he could easily be mistaken for a girl. The long overcoat he was wearing didn't hide how fit he was. It was the way he moved. Tanner swaggered with the loping grace of a panther stalking its prey.  He glanced at the people around him discreetly but not overtly enough to arouse suspicion. In the dim light, he was nearly invisible with his dark clothes and his dusky skin. Only his brilliant white teeth gleamed as he broke into a grin seeing the two kids in front of him. 

“Tanner!” greeted Jack laughing.
“Hey, hey, hey!” greeted Tanner jubilantly. He opened his arms wide as to say here I am.

This was done carelessly and abruptly. A kid that was passing by didn’t see the arm coming and stumbled as he was struck.

“Watch it!” The boy snarled clearly on edge.

“Sorry about that bud,” said Tanner apologetically.

Through the corner of his eye, Jack saw Tanner’s hand glow blue and dart quickly into the boy’s pockets. The moment passed by so fast that you would have thought you were imagining it.

The kid just glared and walked on. Tanner smirked. He brought his hands out of his coat, bringing a wallet out with him.

“Yo, boss man!” Tanner greeted Jack with a wink and a fist bump. His free hand was flipping through the wallet with practiced ease as his deft fingers rifled through its contents in a blur. He pocketed the cash and started examining the kid’s ID.

“So, how’s the competition?” asked Jack the phone still glued to his ear.

“The usual.” Tanner shrugged, tearing his eyes away from the ID, looking at Jack and Soja.
“Nothing special but there were ten that looked like trouble. Bad juju.”

Soja’s face went pale and he started pacing more furiously. Tanner looked amused.

“And not to mention the nobles.”

“Nobles? The kids from the great families?” Soja looked at Tanner in horror. He finally stopped pacing and was facing both his friends open-mouthed.
“What are they doing here. If they are here, then what have we got?”

Jack nodded. He vaguely remembered seeing a large group of students that looked strangely out of place in the crowd. All of them were dressed to the nines, making Jack’s attire look like a poor imitation. It was dark so he didn't see much, but they seemed way too relaxed considering the situation. He didn't recognize anybody among them, and he didn't want anyone knowing who he was either. Especially his cousin. He had especially made sure to guide Soja away from them back then. No need to worry the little dough ball any more than necessary.

He looked at Soja, who was hyperventilating. Things weren't looking good.
“The nobles are nothing special, Soj,” said Jack calmly, adjusting the gold pin on his collar. “We have a good chance of getting in just like everybody else.”

Soja shook his head. “Damn. I knew this would happen! We are done. Kaput! No chance whatsoever!”

Tanner snorted and Jack was rubbing his temples. Both of them shared an exasperated look. Jack finally ended the call and tossed the phone to Tanner, who deftly caught it without even looking.

This was more important. He needed to shake Soja out of his funk right now. He needed everyone on their A-game today.

“Soja.” began Jack with a wide smile.

“What?” asked Soja suspiciously, taking a step backwards. Jack and Tanner had the same wicked grin that usually meant trouble for him.

“Soj, Soj, Soj!” Jack said again as he slipped his arm around his shoulders and led him away from the crowd.

“It isn't the nobles that you have to worry about. It's your Ma who you should be scared of, once she hears that you are thinking of chickening out.”

Soja gulped but he shook his head to shake away the fear. 

"Yeah?”  He challenged. “You should be scared too. Do you plan to spend the semester in a stretcher?”

Soja wearily glanced back at the crowd surrounding the central stage. Few of the kids were looking at them, weighing and judging. A lot of them were smiling. They could sense his fear. There was a girl who was squatting down on the grass, slowly sharpening a knife. Her hands were glowing weakly as she worked. A rasp of metal on metal was heard after every stroke she made. Her eyes though were not on her weapon but Soja. It looked like she was imagining that every slice of her blade was a cut made into his flesh.

Soja gulped. The grass crunched under his feet as he was taken further away.

“I plan to win, Soja. You should too,” said Jack with a toothy grin. He pinned Soja in a headlock and brought his other fist to the top of his head and gave him a noogie.

“Ow Ow Ow! Okay! Stop!” yelled Soja, covering his head. Jack let Soja go after he started flapping his arms violently.

Soja had both of his hands on his head and glared at Jack who still was smiling pleasantly, as though he was completely innocent of any wrongdoing. Jack didn’t think Soja was a bad sort. The kid just had some random anxiety sometimes and needed someone to shake him out of his funk. Though he had to reluctantly agree that this time his concerns were valid. 

He looked at Tanner who had been silently scrolling through his contacts. Finding the number he had been looking for, Tanner pressed dial and waited for the call to go through. A familiar ringtone played as the phone connected.

“Soj, think fast,” said Tanner, throwing the phone right at Soja’s round face. With a yelp Soja brought his hands from his head, blocking the phone. He nearly dropped it as it slipped through his fumbling fingers but managed to catch it before it hit the ground. Holding the phone upside down he let out a relieved breath.

A muffled sound came through the phone’s speakers which were being blocked by Soja’s hands.

“Boy, you know better than to call me at this ungodly hour.”

Soja finally righted the phone and saw his mother glaring at him. He gulped and gave a nervous wave.
“Hey, Ma. You at work.”

“Of course, I am. What’s wrong? Did the test go okay?”

His mother's loud voice rang through the field. Soja hastily covered the phone’s speakers once again and walked even further away from the crowd.
“Nah. it hasn’t started yet.”

Soja nervously ran his fingers through his hair as he walked. His mother had always been loud, but this wasn’t the time that he wanted any attention. He glanced back at the waiting crowd but no one seemed to have noticed.

“Hey Mrs. Bee,” said Tanner from behind Soja. Jack too walked into frame and gave a little wave.

Mrs. Benaamdharan’s was a healthy woman. Some people might call her overweight but none would dare say it to her face. She looked a lot like Soja but her attitude was completely different from her son. Her plump face broke into a motherly smile seeing the two boys on her screen.
“Benji and Jackie boy! You done with the test?”

Jack shook his head. “It’ll start in a bit. Thought we would give you a call before it did.”

She nodded. She looked at Soja with a frown, who still had his hand in his hair. Mrs. Bee leaned in closer to the screen.

“Look after him, won’t you Jackie boy. He is a flighty bird. Set him straight.”

“You don’t have to worry about a thing Mrs. Bee. We’ll be fine.”

Mrs. Bee’s eyes turned into two crescent moons as she smiled. She then turned to Tanner.
“Benji honey. Your Ma is just around the corner.” She turned around and yelled. “Greta, fetch Alia, would you. Her boy is on the Telly.”

Soja had his round face covered with one hand looking up at the sky.
“It's not a…” he muttered under his breath. Mrs. Bee’s head snapped back at her son.
“Soja hon,” she said frowning. “Do well, you hear. Do well and come back.”

Soja nodded with a wry smile.

“That’s just as well,” she said shaking her plump face. “That Cora girl was asking about where you were.”

Soja’s eyes went wide. He stopped his fidgeting.
“Umm… So, what did you say?” he asked, trying to be nonchalant.

“Told her you were going to Eaton of course,” said Mrs. Bee. She looked away from the phone and waved somebody in.

Soja wanted to ask more but he was cut short by his mother's booming voice.
“Alia, Benji is on the telly.”

Tanner leaned in and took the phone from Soja.
“Hey, Mum.”

A rail-thin woman came into view. She moved slowly and carefully. She had a pendant around her neck and a simple white dress hung loosely on her frame. Her olive-brown skin looked weathered. She had a gaunt face and her cheeks were sunken in. Her long dark hair was wispy and had hints of grey in them. She might have looked pretty in her younger days but that seemed to have faded. It was only her eyes that looked alive. There was a sternness in them that made them sharp and striking. She had a soft smile on her face when she looked at the boys.
“Benny.”

“Mum. How are you? You look a little pale.”

“I’m fine, sweetheart,” she said. “Soja, Jackie.” She greeted the other boys with a smile.

“Hey Ms. Alia,” they greeted her.

Tanner cut them off, leaning closer to the phone.  “Are you taking your medication? I can buy more from here if we have run out.”

She raised her hand and said firmly. “I’m fine. It’s expensive in Central. Don't waste your coin. Enough about me. How you three boys doing.”

“Good,” said Soja.

“Good,” said Tanner still worried.

“Great.” finished Jack with a grin.

She raised an eyebrow. “Planning to get into trouble?”

“You know us, Ma’am,” said Jack with a laugh.

“Do what you must but don’t lose your head. Take care of yourself.”

“We will.” The three of them said together.

Looking at the determined faces of the three boys, she nodded.
“Good. Before you go, I'll do a blessing.”

She touched the pendant hanging on her neck and bowed her head, closing her eyes.  Seeing this, Soja and Tanner too lowered their heads. Tanner was holding the phone in front of them with one hand and had the other one placed on his chest. Jack remained silent as he stared at the screen.

“By Indra,” she said her voice loud and sonorous.
“Indra.” The boys said in unison, echoing after her.

Tanner’s hand that was holding the phone shook slightly. Jack, who had his eyes still open, could see the effort that took Ms. Alia to even say the words. He too bowed his head and closed his eyes.

“O eternal lord, who by thy infinite wisdom, by thy almighty power and secret providence, bless these younglings with thine protection for they go to war.”

“By Surya,” she spoke in a steady voice.
“Surya.” The boys repeated.

“Let the light of thy countenance illuminate their path and help them see past the untruths and deceit of the enemy. For it is thine grace that will raise them as warriors and champions.”

“By Durga.”
“Durga.” The three of them echoed.

“Protect them in the battle against the evils on dark and pestilence that plague them.
Let them be true so that one day it will by their hand they may slay the great evil. Namo.”

“Namo,” said Soja.

“Namo,” finished Tanner.

“Amen,” said Jack last.

He looked up to see Ms. Alia slightly out of breath, but her breathing steadied as she looked at the three of them.
“Benny,” she said turning to Tanner.

“Mum.”

“Do well. I’ll be right here, waiting for the good news. Take care of each other.”

Looking at Jack and Soja she repeated. “That goes for you two as well. Take care of each other. As long as you boys are together, there is nothing that can stop you.”

“We will. I promise,” said Jack.

Mrs. Bee leaned into the frame. “We have to head back. Good luck, you three.”

“Bye, Mum.”

“Later, Ma. Tell Cora that I said hi.”

The three kids waved goodbye as the call was disconnected.

Jack took the phone from Tanner who still had a frown on his face. Soja on the other hand was pumping himself up. He took in a deep breath and held it in. Jack watched amused as Soja straightened his back, clenched his fists and let out a loud yell. A warcry to all challengers. With a determined look Soja stalked off to the crowd.

Jack let out a chuckle and Tanner snorted.

“How long do you think it will last?” Jack mused.

“Give it fifteen minutes,” Tanner said wryly. Both of them shared one last look and followed their neurotic friend.

“Go stop him before he does something stupid.”

“Right.” Tanner sprinted off to catch up with Soja, Leaving Jack alone.

He picked up the phone and dialed again.
“One, Two. Snake in my shoe,” he started humming.

The familiar ringtone played in his ear as he walked towards the waiting crowd. Tanner had already caught up to Soja and was actively pulling him back from jumping the nearest teenager he could find.

“Three, four. Slither some more.”

The phone was ringing for a while before it stopped and an automated message started playing.

You have reached Amelia Briton. Leave a message at the end of the tone.

There was silence after the beep. Jack walked ahead slowly, the grass crunching under his feet. His heart was hammering in his chest as he thought about what he wanted to say. He hadn’t spoken to her in forever. It took awhile for him to calm down. He centered himself taking slow deep breaths as he waited.

A couple of moments passed with the phone still dead beside his ear. There was nothing. No answer, not anything. His mind which was whirling with a million things to say drove to a halt. His hammering heart stopped as the cold clarity of the situation slowly dawned on him. The phone was still dead beside his ear. After about a minute, he cut the call and looked down at his phone.

Big Sis- 8185696978.
3 outgoing calls.
0 talktime.

Jack felt his vision mist over and his eyes stinging.  His hand hovered around the call button for a while but he didn't press it again. He swallowed the lump in his throat and let out a slow shuddering breath as he pocketed the phone.

“Nine, ten. Start again.”

He didn’t know what he was expecting when he made that call. It’s not like he expected her to answer anyway. He adjusted the gloves on his hands and straightened his cuffs. It was when he was absentmindedly touching the pin on his collar, he heard it. The air was shaking slightly. There was a distant rumble that was coming closer. Looking alarmed he checked his watch again. 4:59 am. It was nearly time.

With a brisk pace, he walked towards his two friends. Soja was still trying to wrestle free from Tanner. The two were getting suspicious looks from the surrounding kids. 

“Let go, Benji,” said Soja struggling to get his arms free. “What are you looking at?” He snapped at a few passing kids.

Coming up behind the two, Jack gave them a clap on the back.
“Ow!” Soja exclaimed.
Tanner merely grunted. He too had heard the rumble and was looking distractedly up at the sky.

Interrupting Soja’s coming complaints, Jack spoke over him.
“It's time. They are here,” said Jack.

The rumbling in the air grew louder. Everyone was looking towards the sky now, searching for the source of the sound.

Soja had his mouth open agape.
“Bloody hell,” Tanner swore softly.
“And here they come,” said Jack quietly, looking up at the dark sky.

From the horizon, two lights could be seen racing towards them at full speed. They were upon them in an instant. The air shook as they arrived. With a roar of its engines, two huge airships appeared before them. The winds picked up and the grass was flattened as they flew by.  The ships made a circle above them and then finally hovered above the stage.

“Woah!” Soja said awestruck.

Bits of flying dirt and clumps of grass nearly entered his mouth as he exclaimed. Wiping the offending piece of mud from his mouth, Soja determinedly kept his mouth shut. Everyone in the crowd were covering their faces at the gale-force winds that were buffeting them. Yet the three of the kids didn't take their eyes off of the ships. Through their fingers covering their faces they looked at the two ships in awe.

It was the first time that the three of them had seen such airships. These were military ships and not the commercial ones that they had around their hometown. The huge metal ships blotted out the sky and were easily large enough to cover the stage and all the kids surrounding in that area. They had to crane their necks to see the whole of the ship. The ship engines rumbled like the sound of rolling thunder and the kids could feel it vibrate in their chest. The many lights that were adorned on the two behemoths metal surfaces brightened and the kids were forced to shut their eyes under their already covered faces.

“Attention! Step away from the LZ!”

A tinny metallic voice over the loudspeaker boomed over them.

“Attention! Step away from the LZ!”

The message repeated and the kids began to slowly back away from the stage. Rendered blind, deaf and dumb, Jack knew what the term shock and awe meant. Backing away slowly he took a peek from under his fingers as his eyes slowly adjusted to the bright lights of the two hovering ships.

He saw the silhouette of someone jumping straight out of one of the airships, aiming for the stage below.

The entire stage shook as they made their landing.
Adjusting his eyes, he saw a short, young girl dressed in military wear rising to her feet. She had an army camo pants and a white tank top.

Another person jumped out of the ship, but unlike the first girl, she floated gently on to the stage. There was a clack of high heels as a tall blonde woman wearing office attire stepped on to the stage.

She stood there for a moment scanning the sea of faces in front of her.

“Good morning, applicants of batch 3020!!”

The blonde lady’s loud energetic voice was heard clearly by everyone, even over the roar of the engines. Her announcement echoed in the field, waking the kids from their stupor. 
“The third and final test into Eaton will begin shortly. Prepare yourself.”

Jack felt Tanner and Soja stir beside him. Tanner put one hand on his shoulder without taking his eyes off of the stage. Soja was bouncing on the balls of his feet, vibrating with energy.

“Jack,” Tanner said softly.
“I know,” said Jack.

He did know how much this meant to him. What it meant for all of them. Regardless of their different reasons for being here, whether it be for power, prestige or redemption, they all wanted the same thing.

“Many of you have come from far and wide.” The lady spoke looking down at the crowd.

“From the wilderness in the north and marshes in the south. From east to west. The road had been long and difficult. It was no easy journey. There are only two hundred of you left and even fewer of you will be left when the day is done.”

The children stood there drinking in her words. A ripple passed over the crowd as their emotions reached a feverish pitch. Some among the crowd were tensing their muscles getting ready for a fight and many others had their hands glow blue.

Jack inhaled deeply calming his nerves. Tanner was so still, one would have thought him a statue.

“Remember this. No matter where you are from, no matter who you are, the worthy will succeed and the weak will perish. This is the credo that runs the world, and the one that Eaton follows.”

Jack had one hand clenched around his phone when he spoke.
“We have only one goal boys,” said Jack. “To reach the top.”

Tanner nodded and Soja pumped his fists. All of them looked up at the stage with anticipation.

“There are two hundred of you left and there are only fifty seats remaining. This is your chance to turn your dreams into reality. Are any of you willing to return home empty-handed?”

The crowd which was already riled up, exploded. They all rose up and roared.

“NOO!!”

“Will you fight for your place here?”

“YES!!” The crowd roared louder. Jack, Tanner, and Soja found themselves screaming as well, swept up in the emotions of the crowd.

“So, fight. Fight to win! Fight to live! And may the strongest survive!”

The crowd had been driven to a frenzy now. Almost all of the kid’s hands were glowing blue. Jack found himself clutching his phone.

“One, two,” he whispered.

The lady on the stage was shouting now, her hands raised in a salute.

“All hail Britannia!
“All hail the Emperor!
“And all hail Eaton!”

Jack looked at the stage his eyes blazing, his hands still on the phone.
“Just wait a bit longer. I’ll be there soon.”

“Welcome one and all, to where your dreams turn into reality. Welcome to the greatest Highborn academy in history.”

The lady finished to thunderous applause. The cheering now was so loud that it drowned out the hovering airships.

“Welcome to Eaton High!”

 

2