Chapter 1 “Awakening”
101 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

   Its nearing the end of the war. We are losing. The new Beast-kins are ferocious. The mutated ones have grown to unbelievable sizes, one in particular has grown large enough to step on our last city, which it did. The Gnomes and their experimentations have led to this mutation.

Every race has a stake in the war, no one is happy with the way things have been. From the Hobbits all the way to the Angels. (Not to suggest that Hobbits are inferior) We, the Winglies, have been targeted by all the rest. The Vampires have manipulated them. Convinced them that we are some sort of overseers. That we are responsible for the current chaos. Well, most of them. The Fairy Tribes and the Dryads will always be on our side, but they have no way to help in this fight. They would only die with us. They can only hide from the others and remain safe. We may be the first created, but we cannot fight all the others at once.

There are only a few of us left. Unlike most other races, we are not able to produce offspring. Originally there were 150,000 of us. At the last gathering there were only 2,300 of us that came. The discussion was about what we would do. We will not be able to survive if we continue to fight the way we are. So we asked our God what we could do. She responded "Wait." That was all she said.

This spurred us to argue among ourselves on what she meant. Some thought that she meant for us to wait for our deaths. That it was time for us to die. For our race to finally come to an end. We have seen it happen to many other races in the past. Others thought she meant for us to hide. That we needed to wait out the war and no longer fight in it. I'm among the latter group. My friend Vigil was among the former. The problem is that we can not hide. The Gnomes have developed a way to locate us.

We ended up failing to come to a consciences before we ran out of time. We cant stay gathered for long. I flew off with Vigil. He's going to help me. He may not agree with me, but that doesn't matter. The device that the Gnomes invented tracks our unique Mana. We needed a way to block the Mana we constantly discharge. It was a real conundrum. It was Vigil who came up with the solution. We needed to be frozen in time. 

We made two tombs one for me and one for him. I convinced him to enter stasis with me. My argument was "If he's right then we will all die anyway, despite any precautions we take, but if he's wrong then I will live and he will die for nothing. He begrudgingly agreed with me. 

Before entombing ourselves I wanted to tell the others of our solution and I called for another gathering. It had been years since the last one. No one replied. 

Vigil insisted that I should be the one entombed first and sealed me in. The bastard tricked me. Right before the seal formed he said "Goodbye Aurora." He isn't going to seal himself in stasis with me.

That was the last thing I remember thinking. That he was such a bastard.

 


 

(BOOM) 'In the name of Olrun, what was that!? Where am I?' That's a hell of a way to wake someone up.

I look around and see i'm laying in the coffin I was sealed in, but the seal is no longer in place. Did it fail?

"What's in there?" I hear someone whisper. Why is it so dark in here? I release some Mana balls to light up the surroundings as I sit up.

"Who are you? An ancient one?" A silky voice asks. The first thing I see are thralls filling the room. How did the Vampires find me? No, wait, what did they say? An ancient one? They think i'm a vampire?

"Wings? A fairy? No, I've never heard of a fairy so large." Being mistaken for a fairy isn't that odd, but saying you've never heard of one as large as me? The leading tribe of fairies are all the size of Winglies. They were our attempt at creating life. They are very similar to us in looks, but there is a vital difference. Their wings are physical.

'What have i woken up to?' I think to myself.

"How long has it been since the Divine Forest was set ablaze." I ask those still living in the room. There is one Vampire. Two Humans, Two Beast-kin, an Elf, a Dwarf and a Hobbit. I asked this because the Divine Forest was set afire by Ifrits five years before I was sealed. The elf, at least, should be able to answer.

"The what?" That very elf asks in the voice of an imbecile. So much for that. The vampire seems confused while the mixed race group seems terrified of me.

"How long since Olrun opened a rift in the land and split Everfair in two." This one is for the Hobbit. 

"E-Everfair? When was it split in two?" Geridriful save me. Who are these fools?

"That's what i'm trying to figure out." I respond, flying out of the coffin and hover towards their group.

"Don't approach!" One of the Beast-kin yells. "What are you?"

"Yes, I would like to know too." The Vampire asks. I can hardly believe he hasn't attacked me yet, or at least ran away. He is far too weak.

"Im a Winglie." I answer the Beast-kin. "Dwarf." I turn to address her. "When did Blythecier retake Dhaulagiri?" She has to know this one. They almost went extinct when the Dragon Emperor burned them out, retaking their peaks. It was ten thousand years before I was sealed, but surely it is still carved into the Memorial halls inside Dhaulagiri.

"Blythecier? Retake?" Ohh no, another fool? or.. it cant be.

"I'm sorry I don't know Miss.. Winglie." she fumbles with how to address me.

"Aurora, my name is Aurora. Does Dhaulagiri not belong to the Dwarves any longer?" I ask. Its a possibility.

 "N-no it does, Miss Aurora." she says.

"Miss? Its just Aurora, Dwarf. Were you not taught your history? Do the halls of Hlevang no longer exist? Its where your history is carved into the stone" I ask.

"I wouldn't know, A-Aurora. I have never been there. I was born in Gaia." Never been there? I can only ask the Vampire now. The beast-kin had too little history in my time.

"Vampire!" I call out, turning around. "When did the Semirearn run red?" I'm getting desperate. They are a long lived race. They can even pass memories down to each other. He has to know!

"What is with these questions?! Why not just ask the year?" The Vampire responds instead of answering. "The year is 30,896. But enough of this. I no longer care what you are. I just need the Princess." He then signaled the Thralls and they all started to converge around the party of mixed races and me. There he goes. He was surprisingly patient. I release a burst of Mana around me directing it to the Thralls and the Vampire. The Thralls are vaporized upon contact, turning into pick mist. The Vampire is thrown into the wall, shattering it. It slumps to the ground.

"I didn't think the year would be helpful, but if your current calendar has past 30 thousand years, maybe I was wrong." I say to the bag of bones. I turn to the shocked group behind me. "What event caused you to start a new calendar?" I ask them.

"Ummm.." Why are they so afraid? "I-it was the end of the Great wars." Answers a Human. This sounds promising!

"What wars? Who fought in them? What were they about?" I ask hurriedly. 

"Uhmm.. the first one was with Vampires against a combination of races." Hmmm, could they have turned on them after they finished with us? "The second was Beast-kin against a combination of races..." ..Huh?

"Why?" I ask again when it was clear he wasn't going to speak further.

"The vampires wanted to enslave and rule over the other races." That sounds about right. "The beast-kin wanted to do the same." That doesn't sound right..

"Why would Beast-kin want to do that?" I ask. He just shrugs so I turn to look at the Beast-kin I was originally talking to.

"T-they say that its in our nature.." He says after some hesitation. What nonsense is this?

"It's in your nature? Who has told you this?" I question him.

"E-everyone." He says lowering his head.

"Neia has told you that enslaving and murdering is your nature?" I don't believe it. It can't be.

"Gods don't talk to mortals." The human girl speaks up in a pompous way. The gods are no longer speaking?

"Listen to me Beast-kin. I was there when your kind were first shaped and you walked out of the forests and plains. That is not your nature. You are the embodiment, the connection, between humanoids and animals. The same way the various Demi-humans are the connection between humanoids and monsters. You are a bridge to nature itself. Neia is Forseti's twin. Do you think she would create a race to conquer others?" I pause waiting for a response, I don't get one. "The answer is no." I say harshly.

"You were there? How is that possible?" The girl scoffs at me.

"I, one of the Winglies, the First created, have been alive for a very long time. I saw the first Humans formed as well." I glance at her.

"First? Hah! The Vampires were created first, everyone knows that." This time its the Elf speaking. 

"Who was second?" I ask. 

"Fairies." he answers. It seems things have become skewed. Winglies created all the Fairy Tribes. Not the Gods.

"And third?" I ask for him to continue.

"Elves." he states proudly. Wrong, Three for three. Second was Humans, Third were Vampires to feed off the abundant humans who were out of control. 'Why have the Gods gone silent?'

 

2