Prologue
600 7 13
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I guess you could call it fate. Everyone who is born is bound to die, sooner or later. I guess my ticket just so happened to be punched quite earlier than I expected. 

As I am speaking to you now, my vision is focused on the blood that is currently pooling in front of me, as well as my ex-boyfriend who is responsible for putting me in this state. He caved my skull in with a candlestick during another one of his temper tantrums not too long ago. Ever since then I've been stuck in this weird state of clarity and calmness. It might sound strange, but I am not as upset as I would imagined myself to be. 

 

*sigh*

 

No, honestly, I am not that mad. It was practically instant, I lost all control and my hearing cut out. I couldn't even move my eyes or say anything, I was powerless. Then, I fell onto the floor and a pool of red started forming in front of me.

Frankly, I'm more concerned about if this is all that the afterlife is. If so, then I would like to demand a refund. Better yet, I'd rather have whoever is in charge of life to sign me up for something more interesting; I am unsatisfied with the pathetic and boring life I was forced to live!

Besides fake friends, no parents, no real job, and a crazed boyfriend with anger issues who was always neck deep in jealousy, I had absolutely nothing! I swear, the life I lived was absolutely pointless. I have too many regrets and not enough good memories to make up the difference.

Okay, I said I was calm originally, but now... I'm getting a bit upset here.

Perhaps that's why I am sticking around like this? Because I am a 'vengeful' spirit with regrets or something? Lord knows... but if I am a vengeful spirit, then the trash who is currently getting his tears all over my body is going to get dunked on by me, I promise you this much!

Huh... or not? My vision is beginning to fade, its almost like its closing in around the edges... just like the movies, huh! 

Well there goes being a vengeful spirit I guess, is this the end?

 

~~~~

 

*Your contract request has been received.*

Uh... What?

*Your contract request has been approved! Congratulations!*

Who... Who is talking right now?

*Greetings, Cassie Marie Smith.*

Uh, hello?

*It is my pleasure to welcome you to Universal Mercenary Corps. I am happy to inform you that your application for active duty has been approved!* 

Universal.... active what now?

*As you are a new member of U.M.C., please feel free to ask any questions that you may have at any point in time, I shall be honored to answer any and all questions you might have. I am A.I. #44, your personal Artificial Intelligence assistant.*

... What's going on?

*Current task: Assembling vessel, Next task: retrieve soul contract, Final task: apply soul contract.*

... I don't-

*Current task complete: Vessel assembled, undertaking next task!*

Who are you?

*I am your personal A.I. assistant, you may refer to me by my designation number: #44.*

My assistant? Okay... What? No, I'm dead! How can...? What's going on here?

*You sent a contract request to U.M.C. and we accepted your application. You are now an employee of U.M.C., congratulations!*

No, I didn't... I'm dead, how could I send anything to anyone?!

*Well, you can only send an application when you are dead. My apologies, but you are the one who sent the contract request.*

What? Well I didn't send it knowingly then! I don't want to join whatever the hell it is you are wanting me to join, stay away from me, go away!

*I understand. Soul termination will be undertaken momentarily then.*

...Soul termination what now?!

*It is the process of destroying a soul and recycling it. Since you do not wish to work with us, there is nothing more we can do for you, therefore your soul will be terminated.*

Wait, hold on a second, you are going to destroy my soul if I say no to working for you?! You can't do that to me! I don't even know you!

*You from the viewpoint of your deity, you came to us and now you are deciding against working for the company which you sent an application to. We are not mistreating you. If anything, it can be seen as you wasting our time and resources forming a body for you to use.*

You are not making any sense to me! 

*Very well, allow me to explain. Should you choose to work with us, you will be provided with a new vessel, which is a body, and tasks will be given to you that you will need to complete. The bottom line is that should you choose to work with us, you will never have to live in the endless dark and silent space that you have experienced up till now. You will never eternally die, you will always be reborn when you work for the company.

I-... I won't die ever again if I accept your offer?

*Well, you will die because you will remain human, but you will never have to fear it. Your spirit will always reincarnate to your designated vessel which shall be recreated each time you are deployed.*

So... I will live forever?

*Correct. So, allow me to ask this question: Do you wish to accept the validity of your contract request and come work for U.M.C?*

... If it means never having to come back here, then yes, I accept.

*Excellent. Welcome aboard, Cassie Marie Smith.*

 

 

 

 

 

 

So this is the second long term project I have started and I am quite happy with how easier its been to get this story outline figured out so far. I hope you guys enjoy it. Feel free to grammar check me to death as I love having a free editor, it's also really nice to have a responsive community to create for... even if they hate my English.

In the future, after the first chapter goes up I will be planning on trying to release at least two chapters a week; due to me being bogged down with finishing school and like; I can only hope this project does not get bogged down. Hope you understand and are patient with me. Hope you liked the prologue and will be satisfied with my work in the future :)

 

   

13