18. Qi Deviation (3)
1.9k 4 62
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Xu Jian stretched. So he had some major health problems after all. She didn't mention the shaking, so it was probably a System issue. He was satisfied with that.

“Is that going to be a problem if I don't use any of my energy?”

The healer bowed her head, thumb pressed under her chin as if she were about to flick something off it.

“Er...well, meridians have no capillaries - sorry, a capillary is-”

“I know what a capillary is.”

She lit up. “Oh, you have a medical education?”

“Is it a problem.”

“Ah...right. So the meridians have no capillaries, like veins do. Meridians sort of...permeate the body. They're only pathways. Qi refinement is good for the body because the Qi inside you will...radiate.” she paces back and forth nervously as she speaks. “And... it's always radiating. Seeping into you.”

“I’m already dying,” Xu Jian extrapolates.

“No!” She immediately shouts, then sheepishly amends with “well, not entirely. You only need someone to channel their Qi into you now and then.”

Xu Jian stuck out a hand. The medic hesitantly took it as if she were handling a deadly spider. Xu Jian could feel spiritual energy prickling between them as their palms met. The prickling seeped deep into his flesh, then traveled up his arm. It was insufferable until it reached his stomach, where it was finally absorbed.

This went on for about fifteen minutes. When the medic had enough, she backed away and put a hand over her stomach, looking ill and breathing heavily.

Xu Jian frowned. “Are you alright?”

“It's fine...I didn't have enough usable energy to begin with... I'm sorry, I won't be able to keep going without damaging your meridians, and...possibly experiencing a heart attack…but this...this is...the least I can do as a doctor...” She pressed her forehead against the surface of the table.

Xu Jian flexed his hand. He felt...better. A little more put-together. As if his insides were glowing.

“Thank you,” he told her.

She smiled weakly.

Well, things seemed fine. He was perhaps over-cautious with the spell array; they hadn't said anything he didn't want Ying Long to hear. Xu Jian peeled it off the door and stepped out into the hallway, where Ying Long was sitting with his arms folded, apparently asleep.

“How was it?” Ying Long asked without opening his eyes.

“She said I'm dying.”

Ying Long flinched and leapt to his feet, only to bump his head on the ceiling. “What? Is there treatment?”

“It’s because I don’t take in energy. I should live a full and healthy life as long as I receive Qi infusions.”

Ying Long relaxed, and flashed a natural smile. “Oh, is that all? It's troublesome you can't absorb energy from eating, but you're no different from the rest of us.”

In Black Path of the Proud Immortal, demons had an unusual relationship with spiritual energy. Their Qi had all sorts of strange abilities because of how thoroughly refined it was, though their stamina was low and when they were spent, there was no second wind.

They gathered spiritual energy by consuming things. For regular demons, that was food, usually live animals or in a Mountain demon's case, sediment gathered from mountain peaks. In the case of 'cultivation’, they were constantly on the hunt for ancient herbs and divine beasts to devour. It made the 'strong' demons naturally predisposed to violence and laying siege; how else would they get their hands on rare items?

In his current state, Ying Long only ate a fruit saturated with energy that grew in his hometown. It had been enough thanks to simple caution and conservation; he had been carefully conserving his energy for years by relying on swordplay and the physical boost that level of refinement allowed.

He had ultimately spent that valuable energy in the fight with Lai Mingliao in the tournament arc, and had to beg for more. He was given a bowl full of parasitic bugs, which released all the energy they stole into his body, driving him into a mad frenzy, and the demonic equivalent of Qi Deviation.

It was such a complex dynamic, Xu Jian was perplexed that 'cannot absorb energy’ suddenly meant 'just like a demon’.

“I can give you my-”

“That won't be necessary,” Xu Jian interrupted. Ying Long paused, looking troubled.

“...If you gave me your energy, it would probably kill me. Allow me some caution, my lord.”

“I see...that...makes sense.”

The troubled look didn't fade.

Behind that look, Ying Long’s thoughts were complicated. He'd been enjoying himself for a while now, but taking on Xu Jinyue as a pet has felt...a little strange?

Xu Jinyue was supposed to be a feeble invalid who lost all his power, status, and skill, meekly allowing others to go so far as torturing him. However, the man in front of him stood with his back straight, looking cold and proud, even when under-dressed and barefoot. Even with his shaking and awful injuries, he carried himself like he held more authority than anyone in the Palace. His way of speaking was also very firm and self-assured, no different from any master of cultivation Ying Long had met.

This mein...surely this wasn't right?

Ying Long's heart itched. Well, the Golden Star of Wendian deferring to him was satisfying enough, but...he was developing a habit of ignoring all the things Ying Long said and did as if they were inconsequential. Was it because he lost his mind? But he was so composed...?

No, it had to be because he was driven mad. It wasn't as if Xu Jinyue was being intentionally disrespectful. A person who was rude their entire life would obviously struggle to think of the intentions of others. Then, to make him obedient...Ying Long needed to be at the forefront of his thoughts!

Xu Jian hadn't noticed anything amiss with Ying Long's continued silence, and was enjoying the peace and quiet. It came as a surprise when Ying Long plucked him off the ground and placed him on his shoulders as soon as they left the building.

“You know, your lord can do many things! I'll show you my swordplay. I'm sure even you won't be able to turn your eyes away.”

Xu Jian wobbled in place.

...This bastard. Xu Jian had been intentionally inflammatory when he said he was dying, but he had clearly made it sound dire. He just said that he needed a human to supplement him, and yet Ying Long was running off to play with swords? What kind of master was he? His pet was starving to death!

As expected of a villain undone by pride. Xu Jian couldn't wait for Lai Mingliao to crush this scum.

He grit his teeth, felt his anger burn, and said “I would like to see it, my lord.”

62