Chapter 13
411 2 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Fenrir stared at the helmet that was held in his hands, directly in front of him. With his arms bent obtusely, his gaze was substantially trapped on the keen tear-shaped eyes of the head ware.

Six meters ahead of him Evileye stood, watching him with her crimson red eyes glistening. While she figured her power was unlikely to do much harm to him, this would allow her to learn how effective she credibly was against a being such as he. That and she needed to figure out if she capable of even resisting him should he coerce her into doing his bidding. Just how powerful was he?

If he had been a necromancer, she certainly knew there was a chance for him to overpower her sense of self with considerable magics used to enslave undead creatures. Thankfully it seemed he was almost a pure Paladin.

They were outside, directly outside the mist that surrounded the Citadel. On the Great Wall, several Paladins were beginning to gather, along with priests and the normal military troops.

He doubtlessly heard their unspoken inquiries, ones that weren't entirely clarified, though due to their division they had, only, to assume this was going to be some class of engagement.

"Are you ready?" Fenrir asked as he raised his eyes from the helmet, remembering the day he arrived of how he had placed the virtual reality headset on. Now, the atmosphere of being in this world took its place. There was no dive helmet, this was reality.

"If you think I'll go easy on you because you're new to this world, you're sadly mistaken!" Evileye seemed to chime, happily at best, and annoyed at worst, her tone ambiguous to how she was feeling. She indubitably saw what he was using this performance for, knowing all the eyes she felt on them.

"Good," He said quietly as he placed his helmet upon his head, his mix-matched eyes glowing through the helmet's visor. "Come at me with everything you've got, and I'll defend myself."

"If you say so," huffed Evileye as she looked over his stance which was severely lacking for combat. He didn't even draw the weapon at his side, a blue bladed weapon that seemed to have robust qualities on its own. Bending her legs slightly, Evileye began rushing in a counter-clockwise semi-circle around the proclaimed God.

Raising a brow, he didn't shift his head to follow her.

"『Maximize Magic, Crystal Lance』!" As she cast this spell out loud, a blue magic circle appeared in front of her outreached hand and a massive blue sharp-edged polearm came flying at him.

"Oh?" Fenrir merely raised his hand in the direction that he heard it be cast from, assuming from her stature from what kind of angle it was going to approach him at. In all likelihood

he heard the conjured object that was sent flying towards him, allowing for him to react quickly and without fail.

In the next few seconds, the Lance impacted against his palm, shattering to pieces.

"What?!" Evileye quickly noticed that he didn't use any sort of skill to nullify the magic attack, it simply broke against his gloved hand which was thin enough to be almost bare.

Continuing her encirclement of the single male, she kept reciting the Crystal Lance spell, even going as far as concentrating Crystal Dagger on him. Every time she cast a spell, she assumably had no choice but to only watch as they shattered against his hand.

Paladins up above were watching in amazement as the female sorceress's attacks were meaninglessly deflected. It was clear it wasn't his armor protecting him, he was simply immune to low tier magic and physical attacks!

"What are you even made of!? Adamantite?!" Evileye quickly shifted to a clockwise direction, getting a bit closer, assuming there was a feasible way to apply a bit more force if she was within a certain proximity of his outstanding defensive prowess.

"That mid-grade rubbish?" Laughed out Fenrir, hearing her ask about one of the most precious metals and their highest rankings within the Adventurer's Guild. "Try again!"

Getting a few meters closer, she threw her hand out towards him, "『Shard Buck Shots』!" The moment she said this, another magical circle appeared in front of her hand different from before. A multitude of sharp-looking shards came flying out towards him, but all the same, they shattered against his armor and even his forehead. The armor didn't even get scratched!

His armor was stronger than Adamantite!

Her red eyes widened, feeling her undead heart skip a few beats. In a way seeing how his attacks weren't coming and her own didn't faze him, she knew there was a long way for her to go. At the same time, she was excited. It had taken the whole Blue Roses team to defeat her, now she found someone who was a Monster among Monsters, a player who was by no doubt stronger than the deceased Leader of the Thirteen Heroes.

"Aren't you going to draw your sword?!" Called out one of the Paladins.

"Strike back at her! Are all you going to do is block!?" A priest seemed to shout out loud, though it appeared they approved of defense is the greatest offense.

"This isn't working..." Uttered Evileye, mostly to herself, as she decided to lose more ground between them, returning to six meters away.

Fenrir shifted his world item that was worn properly on his back, feeling the soft silver-white fur that surrounded the shoulder bound edges of his cloak. "Oh? Retreating Petit Rouge(Little Red)? That would probably be for the best," pointing this out, he would bring himself down on all fours, getting into a running stance as if he was about to go on a marathon.

"Hahaha! He's going to charge her!" Some of the Paladins starting cheering, but none of them seemed to be interested in betting with one another. There was no point in doing so.

Just as Fenrir kicked off the ground, the next spell she recited rang in his ears.

"『Maximize Magic, Sandblast』!" Evileye said as she turned to face him, a golden yellow magic circle appearing in front of her. and sending a high-pressure blast of sand in his direction.

With a grin over his compressed lips, Fenrir tensed his fist tightly, his hand beginning to radiate a holy hue. Then just as he was about to meet with the sandy attack, he brought his fist forward. "Haaaaaaaaaa!" He let out a howl, demonstrating his physical strength and vocalizing it all the same.

Like the wedged blade of an ax, he split the current of sand in two as he traveled through the attack unhindered.

At a closer glance, one may see that the sand that had been thrown at him, had turned into glass. The grounds around him, as the spell came to an end, sparkled with shards.

Directly in front of her face, Evileye stared at the glowing open palm which stood only a few inches away. Holy power capable of obliterating her had only been a few seconds away from killing her before he stopped.

Her crimson red hues glared up at him, sensing that smug smile of his under the helmet. "Er... Wipe that smug smile off your lips! I can't see under that helmet of yours, but I know you have it!"

The Paladins were completely silent seeing that yet another attack was completely useless. That and the Godly being had almost defeated the powerful Adamantite Adventurer with just his hands.

"Zero to One," Fenrir spoke teasingly hearing her words before summarily using a simple teleportation spell to return to his starting location without even reciting the spell itself.

Blinking at this, she sighed and began walking slowly in a semi-circle again. Her attacks up until this point had been able to test his defenses. Conceivably her only assumption was that he was on the same level as the Platinum Dragon Lord, if not higher. There was no telling how powerful he was.

"Not cute at all," Evileye uttered under her breath as she rolled her lips inward briefly.

"Hm? You're the cute one, not me." Fenrir snickered from his position, flexing his fingers at his sides, waiting for her to make the first move once more as she was observing him in return.

There had to be ways effectively feasible for her to try to harm him. She knew over a hundred spells, some of which she had made herself due to her hand dabbling in sorcery. Some of which she swore had to have some effect on him!

Using 『Fly』to gain a vantage point above him, Evileye hovered in the air. Imaginably she felt his gaze on her, he wasn't turning his head to gaze at him. "Hmm..." Still, she didn't attack but instead continued to move around him as she had been doing before.

Fenrir just watched her, reflecting on what actions to do next following what had currently transpired. It was starting to get boring quickly, mostly due to their difference in power.

Part of him wanted to use Greater Break Item on her equipment, but at the same time, that served no purpose at all. Perhaps it was his inner sadist? Shaking his head to himself, he continued to ponder.

What is the realm of possibility should he use in this showing, that wouldn't outright kill her?

That was when his attention was taken by something approaching their general position.

"Don't turn your concentration away from me just yet!" Evileye shouted as she began to prepare for a spell, one in which she held in high regard, one she had created on her own.

"Fenrir-sama," the voice of his Guardian, Anima Espa, overlooking the World Atlas echoed in the back of his head, "An armored form with an elderly woman is at a steady approach from the South East. What are your orders?"

"Do not act," Fenrir stated in return as his attention had moved from Evileye and over to the suit of armor which had reached the Citadel after suddenly teleporting. "Let them spectate."

The very second he gave this order, Evileye recited one of her original spells, one that he had never heard of. His eyes immediately narrowed on her, his head turning to face her at last. "『Maximize Magic, SandField: One』!"

Finding himself surrounded by sand and a light pressure holding him in place, Fenrir raised a brow. Sandfield was a magic spell she had made and it surprised him, despite the fact it had little effect on him due to its low tier of five.

"Interesting spell..." Fenrir uttered as he found its effects useless against him, but enough for him to regard what the spell itself unquestionably might have been able to do to him if he were of a lower-tier being. It silenced its target, blinded them, dazed them, and immobilized them.

Nonchalantly he just stood there without making a single move, thinking that there was a possibility that she may as well believe it was working. He was right as, through the cloud of sand which engulfed him, several cold Crystal-like objects came crashing in against his armor and its skirting.

Poking his tongue out against his lips, he tasted the sand as he grinned from ear to ear beneath his helmet.

"It seems Evileye is fighting a man in armor," Tsaindorcus Vaision uttered through his armor as Rigrit stood, levitating in the air, at his side. "However, I can't quite tell if her spell is working."

"It isn't," Rigrit crossed her arms slightly looking over the pair as they continued their approach to the duel between what appeared to be a Paladin and a Vampire. Then she paused, feeling the man's sight on her and the suit of armor controlled by her friend. "It isn't working."

"What do you mean?" The helmet of the armor suit turned to look at her.

"He's looking right at us," Rigrit exclaimed before beginning to lower to the ground at the edge of the mist. The armor itself was following close behind, landing not too far away from her.

"Would that make him the player? If so, then he is certainly more powerful than the Leader was, and based on what I can sense, he isn't an undead." Vaision, the True Dragon Lord who was controlling the suit from a distance, was able to surmise by simply giving him a gander from the range they kept. They weren't quite sure what was going on, or why he was just standing there if this spell wasn't effective.

Using『Dispel Magic』, the cloud of sand which surrounded him faded into nothingness.

"Im-impossible! You were able to cast dispel amidst being caught up in my Sand attack!?" Evileye exclaimed loudly as she watched as he had been completely immune or resistant to her attack. He hadn't been blinded, and it seemed he didn't need to speak to evoke a spell!

There was no doubt, she saw this was an impressive feat, despite already knowing he was far above her level of comprehension.

"You must be drained from all that spell casting," Fenrir pointed, though he didn't bother trying to use magic to monitor her status. "Rest or continue, it is your choice," he offered as his hands reached up and removed his helmet, staring up at her rather than looking to the newcomers.

Letting herself place her feet upon the ground as her flight spell wore off, she looked him over, not even a scratch. Holding out her hand, her palm facing him, she recited "『Maximize Magic, Crystal Rain』!"

A multitude of blue magical circles appeared in front of her, sending a large number of physical cold, small, and sharp objects in his general direction.

"Oh?" With his ears perking up from the top of his head, he could hear Rigrit gasp at the sight of them. Chuckling, Fenrir threw his legs out to the side, acrobatically dodging a number of the shards that were raining down at him all the while slipping his helmet into his inventory. Just as he landed, however, that was when they came piling down on him.

In the cloud of crystalline shavings that now surrounded his position, blocking sight of him in every and all directions, his silhouette began to move as his armor became one with his body.

Rigrit stepped forward as a sudden burst of aura pushed the film away, revealing the transformation Fenrir had gone through. The old woman's eyes widening even more than before.

Standing where a humanoid Paladin once stood was a massive wolf about four times the size of a horse, it far different from his first detailed appearance. Heterochromatic fur with a base of black and squirrels of white covering almost half of his now furred four-legged body.

It was truly a magnificent and elegant looking beast as its odd-eyes gave off a radiant glow.

"Brat, get out the way!" Was the only thing Rigrit was about to shout before Fenrir launched into the air, closing the distance within seconds, before coming down to pounce the small Vampire.

"It's alright, I got this!" Evileye shouted as she quickly dove to the side in a roll, feeling his massive paws come crashing down on the terra firms behind her. It shook her very being as the miniature shockwave traveled through her. "Stay back and don't interfere!"

Her eyes like saucers as she stumbled forward, she turned around, walking backward as she did so. "Now that is one big dog!" She exclaimed as her eyes picked up every detail along with its wiry yet soft looking pelt. "Want to play tag with me, huh!? Two can play at that game!" Evileye seemed to giggle a bit, imagining herself being carried on his back as if he was some sort of majestic stead.

"If you insist," Fenrir spoke in his canine form, his mouth not moving as he turned to look at her. His eyes were glowing far fiercer than before as he then darted in her direction as his paws kicked off the dirt.

"『Shape Earth』!" Evileye recited a spell, her hand facing down toward the ground. Suddenly like a springboard, the dirt beneath her feet sprung up, sending her flying up into the air several dozen feet.

"As if that'd work against me!" Huffed Fenrir, jumping up on the now elevated ground and thrusting himself into the air after her a few seconds after she began to fall back down to earth.

With his mouth open wide to catch her red cloak, he snarled aloud.

Knowing this was her last chance, seeing as he may be vulnerable, she went to cast one last spell only to notice his mouth closing. It was too late, he knew what she was doing, but it didn't matter.

Just as she went to cast her spell, he cast one of his known as『Miscast』which caused an enemy spell caster to unintentionally cast the wrong spell despite the evocation they used.

"『Teleportation』!" Evileye nearly squealed in surprise as an explosion of buck shots erupted between them, initially blinding her of his continued approach. Before she could do anything however, she felt his fangs take hold of her right shoulder and shallowly dig into her cloak.

Then on their way down she could feel one of his clawed paws on her opposite shoulder, readying to keep her pinned. Yet despite knowing what was to come, she could do nothing.

Thud! She felt the cold hard ground beneath her back as she was being pressed down by his snout, his jaws locked on her arm. Her red eyes stared up at his large odd-eyes that were looking right back at her like florescent mirrors.

"That would be Zero to Two," Fenrir squinted his eyes at her smugly.

"...H-how did you change my magic spell? How was that even possible!?" Keno, Evileye, couldn't help but be curious about what he had just done. Causing her to misfire a spell was something that had never occurred to her before in a battle, especially against that of a Paladin.

"Teach me, and I'll teach you?" Fenrir unlocked his jaw before leaning over and licking the side of her face teasingly.

"Fine, fine... I'll teach you whatever you wan-" Evileye raised a brow at him before she took the brunt of the first lick, "Blah! Stop that, that's gross!" She twisted around under him, knotting her dainty fingers into his mane. Even as she pleaded, he continued to lap his tongue at her face, "Sto-Stop Slobbering on me! Shtaaaaap~!"

Rigrit snickered at the beast's actions as it was seemingly torturing the Vampire with a strange bout of affection, "What is this? Has Invern stolen the heart of such a creature that uses the guise of a beast?"

...

Leaning on her blade, Lakyus had been running for what felt like several hours, though it had probably only been over a little more than one. Those damned werewolves weren't giving her a single moment of peace, no time to think. If her entire team was together, she knew they'd be formidable, but each of these werewolves was equal to one of her roses.

It felt like her heartbeat was reverberating throughout her skull. Was this excitement or was this fear? At the moment for her, these two feelings were completely interchangeable as it felt like she was in flight.

The Priestess let out a soft sigh as she found the dirt that the tip of her sword had hardly penetrated, was even firmer than the furry hide of the wolves. Her Virgin Snow armor was dirtied and torn from superficial injuries, while her skin was covered with bruises.

"By the Four Great Gods... Where is the finish line?" She breathed out to herself in endeavored laughter, "I am the only holy woman able to handle this demonic weapon... How hard could this possibly be to find the end of this maze?"

It was much harder than she thought when she first arrived here. The trees moved, the Werewolves always seemed to know where she was. She was careful not to kill them too despite how much more powerful they were than her in packs.

She could only imagine what Gagaran was going through even though she was all the more likely to have a better time. At least that is what she thought, as she had no idea if Gagaran was dealing with the same beasts or if she had something even more powerful on the physical side.

Hearing the howls of the pack catching up to her again, Lakyus looked down at her worn legs before turning her head to glance over her shoulder. She could hear their panting and wild snarls. They seemed to be getting a kick out of chasing her around, but she was sure they wouldn't kill her.

"I will rise above this!" She proclaimed before pulling her weapon from the dirt at her feet. Without a second thought, she began to bound off in the direction that seemed to be towards that of the tower in the center of the floor.

As she rounded a steep corner she could hear the creatures closing in. Their claws digging into the dirt far easier than her weapon of corruption. For beings she had never seen before, she couldn't call them beast-men or demi-humans.

They moved on all four legs, but they could use their front ones as hands. They could grab her weapon, take it from her, and from what she had seen of their physical prowess... All they had to do was swipe their claws and she knew that it had to be the end of her.

She didn't focus on all of that, however, and just kept running. Every step she made she could feel, as well as hear through her very bones. Every movement she made, every turn she took, she memorized the feeling well.

Lakyus didn't want to think about death, or what this maze was to be like for an actual intruder to enter. For right now she believed that these wolves were only toying with her. If someone were to have come in here to get to the beings inside, she knew that they were in for a bad time.

It was one thing to fight a single member of mighty foes, it was another to be swarmed by them. What she wanted to know though was, how many of the people here were players, and how many weren't.

As she slid around the corner kicking dirt up in puffs of dust, she saw in the corner of her eye those creatures were catching up. Without any time to stall or waste, she kept moving.

Their panting was getting closer and it was almost as if they were fanning their breath down her neck. A tingling sensation ran through her spine, feeling a partial killing intent and she started going faster, as fast as her quaking legs could take her.

Then just as she was about to make another turn, the ground came out from under her and she found herself flying through the air... Descending towards a pit of despair. THUD. Her chest hit a wall and her arms went bucking out in front of her from the impact, the cursed weapon skidding across the ground after leaving her grasp.

Coughing from the loss of air, she tried pulling herself up, kicking at the wall with her feet as she grinds the soles of her boots against it. "C'mon..." She muttered under her breath, not wanting to look down, not wanting to know what should greet her if she fell completely.

Another blood-curdling howl emitted in her direction, she could feel those golden lamp-like glowing eyes on the back of her head. They were there, on the ledge behind her.

"Ahahahaha! The puny human's going to fall!" Laughed the leader of the pack, licking his teeth in anticipation.

"I AM NOT!" Lakyus called back to them with an ardent eloquence as she sharpened her green hues on them, having turned her head to the side to face them. That was a mistake, turning to see their faces which seemed to be contorting with hunger and the desire for flesh. At the same time from the bottom of her peripherals, she could see the hands which were reaching out for her down below.

It was as if hell itself had opened up and was waiting to pull her limb from limb. A low whimper escaped her lips as she turned away from the creatures and continued her struggle to climb. "NO WAY! NUH-UH! Not Today!"

Grasping at a tuft of onion grass, she pulled harshly, lifting one side of her form so that she could get at least one leg up on the solid ground. Sweat burning her eyes, she grinned as she clenched her teeth together in triumph as her knee finally clung to the surface.

"The girly is going to make it!" One of the other wolves commented, as if in despair at the fact that she was going to survive, though they didn't sound all too convincing.

While some swore profanity, others outright mocked the priestess as she grappled with the ledge to pull herself back up onto the ledge she clung to. It took her several minutes even after she had gotten one foot over to pull herself back.

On all fours, she glanced over the side and stared down at those hands once more. Her eyes then shone up to the wolves with a glimmer in her eye. "Let's see you get over that one, huh!" She flicked her fingers out from under her chin in a provocative manner, as if telling them to get lost before rushing over to her weapon.

Once the cursed sword was reacquired, she stood up and began to run again, especially as she heard the sound of the hole in the ground begin to close back up. She got several dozen feet before she heard the howling charge of the wolves coming after her once more, their pace and sounds making them out to be royally pissed off.

Looking off towards the tower, it looked reasonably larger now. She was sure she was getting closer to the end of the labyrinth, or at least that is what she hoped. The last thing she wanted to be was kibble for a bunch of overgrown mangy mutts.

"Almost..." Was the only word that left her mouth as she felt a large furry hand-decorated in long sharp claws impact her side. From the corner of her eye she could see the carnivorous gaze of a predator, even as the rest of her body was sent barreling through the air, she kept her gaze on the wolf.

With her back smashing into the nearest tree opposite to the side of which she was hit upon, she let out a grunt before falling to the ground. Her weapon, however, not leaving her hand as she lay there exhausted.

"That was disappointing..." The creature uttered as it glared down at its prey, leaning over and kicking her over onto her back. "I didn't even get to see those Martial Art Skills I've heard about," the wolf placed a foot upon her pelvis as it was standing on its hind legs.

"[Greater Fortification]! [Divine Strength]!" She aroused two of the templar skills, her body gleaming green and then flashing yellow indicating her newly augmented endurance and physical prowess, as she then proceeded to shove the foot off of herself and bounce back onto her feet. With her armament in hand, she beamed towards the wolf who had merely stumbled back in gleeful astonishment.

"Now that! That is what I'm talking about!" Growled the Leader of the Pack, the rest of the wolves arriving shortly after, keeping their distance for the time being.

"...You want to see who is stronger?" Lakyus questioned curiously, peering over the heteromorphic beast.

"Yes!" Cheered the wolf as he went to storm forward, only for one of Lakyus's flying swords to intercept the beast at her command. The weapon once again causing the creature to stumble, a long cut making itself known across its chest making it a bare and tender wound as blood gushed out. "Oh?" The werewolf eyed the six golden blades behind her back as the one withdrew to its original position, "So they're truly not for decoration..."

"Truly," Lakyus held her primary weapon at the ready as the rest of her swords spread out behind her like fairy wings, needles ready to pierce her opponent. "Care to try me just a bit more?"

"Before we continue," the Werewolf pack leader dropped his battle-ready stance just briefly enough to match his words, "Despite your condition and the traps you've fallen into... How were you able to keep moving forward? Why are you so determined to finish the labyrinth even if it is an optional objective of the challenge?"

"To prove myself to a Rising God, and use all that is given to me, even a challenge, to make myself stronger!" Lakyus proclaimed as she pointed her large weapon towards the creature, her eyes glistening with truth and valor.

Snapping in excitement, blood still pouring from its chest, the pack leader seemed happy with her answer and at the same time completely amused. The wolf placed his hand on the end of the weapon, tickling the pointed bit with his fingers. "You've already reached the end of the Labyrinth, child. You just can't see it, because your spirit won't let you."

"My spirit...?" Lakyus went to move her weapon away from him but found it stuck within the grasp of merely just his fingers. He was stronger than her and that was for sure. Glaring at him, she pursed her lips, "What is the meaning of this?"

"You have one final test, pure one, the one of the Heart," the Werewolf grinned deviously with all of its canine fangs apparent, "Think you can endure?"

"I am the leader of the Blue Roses, of course, I will persevere throughout this test!" Scoffed Lakyus, "I am the wielder of the Sword of Darkness, Kilineiram, I do hope for your sake that you don't underestimate me!"

The leader of the Pack grinned at her words, not wanting to be underestimated because she was merely human. He knew that humans shouldn't be underestimated, otherwise none of them would've made it to the fourth floor in the past if they had truly been a collection of weaklings.

Lakyus herself had some trump cards up her sleeve as she hadn't even used the true power of her weapon yet against these beings. She had been saving it till the point she truly needed it.

"Can you use your unbound heart to find the true path to your salvation, or finalize this challenge with your failure?" Unlike the last few words that he had shared with her, these words seemed to have more of a meaning than anything else. To unbind her heart, felt like some sort of riddle. Salvation likely hinting at the end of the labyrinth.

Curiously she lowered her weapon looking at the beast, "Your intentions were never to kill me were they?" Her words left her lips before she thought them through. She was aware if they were trying to kill her, there was no way she was going to survive. Even if she took a number of them down with her, there was a moot point if she were going to die here.

Her question was answered by a far from an average predatory smile, "Perceptive. You were paying attention to our God's words when he said you need only participate in the challenge, but need not complete the labyrinth."

Blinking at his words, that was when she finally realized that she didn't need to complete the Forest Area. It was constantly moving to intercept her and it was getting harder and harder to escape. These wolves weren't making it any easier either...

As she shifted her head to the side, looking away from the wolf, she gawked at the opening that now presented itself to her. She could see the desert maze not all too far away. It was strange how the trees themselves had probably moved out of the way without her notice, or if it had been a high tier illusion spell she hadn't had the power to notice.

"My word..." That was the moment she stepped away from the werewolf and towards the apparent opening. Two steps, three steps, four steps, five. She was almost to the clearing when she came to a complete stop as she mumbled something inaudible, a splash of color engulfing her in a brief few seconds glow.

"Hm?" The Werewolf squinted his eyes at her backside as she stopped her advance.

"You asked me to open my heart," Lakyus turned her head to the side slightly, without looking towards him.

The opening she had just been walking towards vanished, revealing a just pitfall trap filled with carnivorous plants, a strange pink gaseous mist emanating from its maw.

"You almost tricked me into walking into a trap?" She nearly purred as if amused by the attempt to have her drop into the mouth of a creature that would do nothing but devour her. It seemed the mist itself that she hardly detected was some sort of illusion inducing pheromone.

"It seems common trickery does not work on such a woman as you..." The wolf was grinning ear to ear as its hair was standing on end, dropping onto all fours ready to chase her once more. "Your heart was unable to trust my words, and you survived. What does your heart tell you of the being who stands over us?"

Raising a brow at the words given by the wolf, Lakyus stared at him before her gaze traced over to his brood. "This Fenrir-sama seems to be a powerful and righteous being, if not benevolent for he hasn't allowed you to kill me, but even like our Gods, he too may have flaws." A faint smile was retained over her lips as she glanced in the direction of the Tower.

"Hehe..." The wolf shook his head lightly as if he had gotten exactly what he wanted to hear out of her. "Then I suppose that means you've passed the challenge," all of the wolves as he finished talking begin to change in shape. Their bones and muscles contracting, filling the air with the sickening sounds of their bodies morphing freely without restraint. While it sounded painful, there was none.

In the next few seconds, Lakyus found herself staring at several men all dressed in varied garb akin to Vikings from Earth which consisted of earthy colors and brown furs.

The pack leader she had been talking to was a bucky blonde male with a braided beard and piercing blue eyes. His head was entirely shaved bald and dark blue tribal tattoos littered both his face and his chest which matched the rest of his tribe.

A big burly smile spread across his lips, "I am Sven Omega. Area Guardian of the Forest. It was an honor to have done combat with you, Lakyus of Aindra. Perhaps you will share the secrets of your Demonic Sword the next time we meet." He held out his right hand, which was carrying a crude-looking Viking war ax, heavily decorated in Norse markings, with its pointed eye of the ax pointed directly towards her.

"Huba...Huba... I mean! We'll see, Sven-dono," her head cocked to the side as she scratched the back of her neck. Her face turning a slight red before she placed her weapon upon her back.

"In that case, I am to give you this," Sven who was now in a human form, took a scroll out of his item box and gave it a glance. It was a tan piece of rolled-up parchment made out of the fifth tier hide. In this world, it was rather valuable, especially to those who weren't feasibly capable of casting fifth tier magic.

However, without very much thought, Sven then tossed it towards the girl.

Catching it after giving a little jump into the air, she gave a soft groan from the feeling of her legs almost giving out from the small hop. "You really know how to run a girl bare..." She mumbled to herself before looking over the item he had tossed to her.

"It's a teleportation scroll, it'll take you to the next meeting place," Sven gestured towards the light tan piece of parchment in her hands.

Nodding slowly, as she opened the scroll with both hands, Lakyus channeled mana into the scroll and activated it. A magical circle appeared under her feet and with a sudden burst of bluish light, she was gone.

"These two are adorable..." Otherworldly voices and whispers invaded the shallowly lit halls of the corridor. The bitter-damp scent of mold increasing the uncomfortable and heavy pressured atmosphere.

"...You can say that again, Niisan." Another whisper echoed the last, it was just like before, with a similar but distinct voice belonging to another being that was hidden completely from view.

The Darkness that surrounded the twins reverberated with voices that came from no direction, no origin. The torches that lit their path flickered between life and death, watching Tia and Tina as they guardedly made their way down the corridor. The damp air did them no favors.

"Who was that...?" Tia caressed her upper arms with her bare hands, an emotionless scowl across her lips, and her sharp eyes tracing over the never-ending sea of bricks that made up the maze.

"Likely the two shadows that followed us in here over an hour ago," sighed Tina as her gaze picked apart their surroundings. The traps were well hidden, hardly capable of being detected by normal means. This place was specially prepared for them or at least that is what it seemed.

"Haha, Niisan, she sees us as shadows!" A golden shine from a cat-like eye peered out from behind right hand turn several meters ahead.

A tingling sensation ran through Tia's body as if she was being sized up by a predator, and although she had felt things similar to it before, this was the first time it actually bothered her.

Whoever was ahead of them was far stronger than anyone they had ever encountered before.

"We can't fight them head-on," Tia said with a straight face as she pulled out a handful of kunai from her attire, getting ready to start running. As if mapping their passage ahead, she could see that this maze doesn't change as one moves forward. The only problem was the low light and as she felt the breeze coming from all directions, she couldn't tell which way lead to the end.

"We just have to compete, no need to finish the challenge," Tina responded with a nod of her head, her gaze looking to her sister before raising a brow.

There was a pair of golden eyes peering at them from the solid wall beside her twin. It was a strange sight to behold as the glow made it appear as if the wall itself was not there, to begin with. Smelling the air as she breathed in an ambient fashion, the found the bitter scent of the mold was becoming sweet.

Her senses were becoming confused, but at the same time, her eyesight sharpened and those eyes that were peering at her from the wall were now gone. "They're using some sort of illusions."

"Are you sure?" Tia trusted her sister with her life, but if they were using illusions, then they were slightly in their element. The question was, however, was how much of this place was real.

"I can't see any traps ahead, let alone sense them. They're using far more advanced techniques than our detection abilities. What I can sense though, is their mischievous nature... It causes shivers to go down my spine," Tina spoke plainly as they shared glances before looking forward once more.

"How uncanny..." Tia nodded as they abruptly darted forward, lunging without warning, Tina doing the same with near-identical movements. "But no matter what, we have to stick together."

There were many generic traps they had sighted in this maze, especially after spending over an hour advancing through it without an aim of where to go next. Each step they made trickled into their ears, resonating only after a few milliseconds after their movements had already been made. It gave an eerily and lonely feeling to what they were doing despite standing beside one another.

Hardened Ninjas didn't whimper, Assassins didn't back down from a challenge, and these rogues weren't going to let down their Evil Boss. They came here with the purpose of learning this man's true intentions and yet, all they've come across was a man who was interested in a two hundred fifty-year-old vampire and his quirky following of unique angels.

From the corner of her eye, Tia could see something creeping along the wall, matching their speed. "What is that...?"

"What are you talking about! Keep your eyes forward," Tina turned her gaze towards her sister, just in time to feel something brush across her cheek. "OH SHI-" Cut off from what she was about to say, the twins were thrown aside as the entire passageway lost its mind.

Like a bridge solely made of rope, the bricks twisted and turned, screaming from the broken physics that tried to keep them in place. Was this illusion or was this reality? The girls couldn't put two and two together.

Tia's right foot got caught with Tina's left, quickly the two of them fell over and face planted upon the ground. That wasn't all as the ground around them split apart, Tia was immediately swallowed by very floor she laid upon. Like the mouth of a living being, the breaks spread open and closed down around her. In a matter of seconds, she had vanished from sight and not even a scream could be heard from the other side.

"Tia~!" Tina cried out, her heart trembling at her sister's absence only for her to pause. The excitement had already ended, the corridor was as it was... As if it had never moved an inch before as if its movements hadn't given stress to the brick formation that surrounded her.

"Oh? So one of them fell through the floor, out splendid!" One of the voices giggled, but the one that had been accompanying it earlier was nowhere to be heard.

"Where are you?" Tina pulled herself to her feet, coming in close to the wall. She doubted her sister had been done in so quickly, there was no feasible way she died just like that.

On top of that, she knew that the creature that owned this tower, the wolf that had been described in the note wouldn't have wanted them dead.

"Kekeke... If you knew where I was, what would you do?" Peering out from behind a number of passageways were a handful of golden eyes. They were all watching them a calm eery manner, but they all looked the same.

"Shadow clones..." Tina was now convinced that she was pitted against these people on purpose. Ninjas versus ninjas, it was far too convenient. Pulling sticks from that cup gave them the illusion of change, and she was fully convinced of that even though it hadn't been up for debate earlier.

"Where, oh where, could I be?" Giggled Moki playful with glee as all of the yellow eyes shrank into their respected corridors, vanishing from sight much like how Tia had just moments ago.

With the voice of the being coming from all different directions, Tina remained calm and composed. Now was not the time to panic, she needed to find her sister. Having a Kunai in one hand she began moving ahead again. The idea of her sister dying here was in the far back of her mind, all the same as her eyes shifted from one pathway to the next as she went passed them at a steady pace, she determined to find her sister.

Nothing was going to deter her, nor was she going to let a pair of golden eyes get in her way.

"Ooooh~ Such persistence," Moki's voice for some unidentified reason sent shivers down Tina's spine. Was it a killing intent? No, that wasn't quite right. There was a strange sense that if a killing intent from the guardian here were focused on her, there was no probable outcome where she came out alive.

Coming to the fifth corridor on the right, her entire body involuntarily buckled forward at the same time of feeling something warm and fuzzy shove her in the back. "Eh?"

One dart flew passed her head, the other just grazed just by her back and the other just missing her throat. Her entire body stiffened as an entire barrage passed her by as if she had been pushed out of immediate danger.

"Why didn't I sense these...?" Tina muttered to herself and stared down the corridor. It was a dead-end, several holes in the wall at the very end. She then glanced down at the floor, seeking a trigger mechanism or pressure plate.

"If you're searching for a pressure plate, you're not going to find one... Hehee..." Moki emitted from behind the Ninja, causing her to turn on her heel, ready to strike only to find pitch darkness.

The torches behind her had gone out, and although she had trained to see in low-light, she could tell it was far too risky to venture back into her previous steps. It was as if her entire body was warning her that more dangers now existed beyond the veil.

Creeping backward, continuing into the light, she watched the torches the farther she went the more torches went out. The darkness, the darkness was following her... Was this to stop her from doubling back!? She had no idea where to go next. All of her choices were finite, if she went one direction, she reasoned that she couldn't go back to try another.

"What kind of maze is this?" Tina clenched her jaw, remaining stern in expression.

"You want to find your sister?" The voice was no longer distant, nor was it coming from all different directions. Half expecting the being standing right beside her to be a lithe cat folk with gold glowing hues was not what she imagined, "Choose a path."

Tina turned her head to the side, expecting to see a lithe cat-like being like those she had seen peering at her, her eyes widened at what she now saw.

A woman with fragile doll-like features with radiating purple hues for eyes and white hair stood before her. Though their presence alone was hard to make sense of, let alone sense, she could tell that this female was very much real.

"I am Moki," the 'girl' reached forward as they extended a hand towards the fellow Ninja. "Your challenge has just begun." A passionate smile appeared across the female form's face.

"Where is my sister?" There was no rush to the tone Tina used, but her eyes were sharp.

"Kekeke~ Now what fun would it be if I told you where to find her? What kind of game would that be?" Moki's eyes gleamed as the torchlit corridor dimmed lightly in response to their words, a breeze washing through the halls like a cold flowing river of ice.

"Hm..." Tina's gaze dropped down to the hand which had been offered to her, then back up to the gleaming eyes that had been shared with her. The thing that stood before her, she knew wasn't their real form, but it was cute.

"Kek... Now as the Gingerman once said, catch me if you can~!" Without warning, the being with silver hair and a feminine build darted around the Ninja and made its way down the corridor.

Tina gave chase, there was no holding back here. Digging her toes into the stone bricks beneath, she soared forth through the growing darkness that raged behind her. Torch after torch blew out with a quick and precise breeze. It was like everything was being consumed.

No matter how much ground was gained, it felt like the floor was moving beneath her and the cat who dared her to give chase was unnaturally slipping away from her.

Her face turned red with irritation as she continued to run for over half an hour. She was moving just fast enough to keep the woman within her sights. No matter how many times she thought she was passing the same area, she told herself she wasn't. It felt different every time.

Lunging forward as the cat began to slow down, she went right through the silvery-white hair that decorated its back. Shadows dispersing in all directions and into the cracks of the wall, like monsters retreating from the light. Catching herself before she fell forward, Tina whipped her head side to side, not seeing a single hint of the creature she had been chasing. "Where did you go!?"

"Did you think it was going to be that easy?" Once more the darkness was filled with gleaming golden eyes, but this time from behind her as Moki's voice reverberating off the walls.

Following the sound of a loud thud, the entire maze around her began to tremble. Something was coming, something massive. Gradually her jaw began to slacken and hang open ever so slightly, her eyes locking onto something moving within the darkness.

At first, she only thought it was her mind playing tricks on her in the dark, but the trembling got louder. Loose pebbles began to lift from the ground from the reverberating presence alone.

"You have got to be kidding me..."

Coming out of the darkness, fading into view, was a massive spherical object made of pure stone. As if this had been bad, what appeared to be the entire maze began to shift downward.

Without any other choice, Tina didn't even wipe the sweat from her brow as she turned on her heel and ran. She no longer heard the shifting of her pants as the sphere roared over the brick-like floor.

There was still a breeze up ahead, she could tell there was no dead end. It just kept going, but this also meant there were more likelihoods of additional traps. She absolutely distrusted the idea that this particular corridor had the ability to drive her all the way to the very end of the maze. As she kept going, this was becoming clearer and clearer, still as she had no time to stop and catch her breath.

With burning lungs, she kept going even if it meant going blindly.

Moki grinned from the shadows, watching her from an indiscriminate place as if he were one amongst the mass of darkness that was closing in around her. However, that wide grin that glimmered in the black behind her slowly faded.

Tina took a sharp left, kicking off the wall as she vaulted over a stone that was elevated a centimeter higher than all the rest. As her feet came slamming back down to the ground, she didn't dare pause, there was no time for it. The rumbling hadn't stopped even after she had turned to change course, the giant sphere was following her!

She kept running, pushing off wall after wall as she made several turns, but she couldn't shake the massive stone construct off. If one wasn't watching closely, it would appear as if she was randomly touching certain places and jumping over or avoiding others.

Had she seen a pattern? Moki couldn't quite certain what she was doing either, but it appeared as if the Ninja was taking note of everything and learning very quickly. "I shouldn't underestimate this human…" A grin filled with needle-like fangs took shape upon Moki's lips.

Moki then narrowed his gaze forward, curious, and cautious of what was ahead of them. Tina wasn't evading triggers for traps, those things were too easy to see and identify, and he knew this. Even when she failed to circumvent false traps, she still narrowly escaped true ones that she couldn't feasibly detect with her meager level compared to theirs.

'There has to be a way out of here that that bolder can't follow…' Was one of the few things that stayed constant in Tina's mind. So far every turn she made, so did the sphere. So even as her gaze watched the walls, the traps that sprung out at her, she didn't see an escape right away.

Slowing to a jog, the Ninja glanced over her shoulder towards the bolder that was closing in on her. Even the form that she could just barely make out the hidden movement within the dim shadow it cast on the ground it had contact with.

The instant she went to turn forward to pick up the pace once more, she caught a glimpse of something in the corner of her eye. Almost cracking a smile, she bounced on her feet as she ran for the wall to the left.

Within the moss-covered grey stone brick was a small opening, just large enough for her to crawl through. "A crawl space!" She exclaimed to herself, throwing herself to the ground in a fashion that she would slide right into it.

Briefly having the wind knocked out of her, the Ninja held back a smug grin as she heard the sphere slow down right outside the hole. "Can't squash me in here… Now can you?"

With her arms in front of her, she pulled herself along the damp floor, grasping at the cracks between bricks. She moved slowly and carefully, but the further she went the darker it got.

By the time Tina glanced behind her she found the lights had all gone out, the entrance was lost. Letting out a light sigh, she turned her gaze forward. The walls had a faint glow, accompanied by a strange translucent blue moss.

"What is this stuff…" She uttered quietly to herself, scraping her fingernail against the stuff. Staring at her finger, she found it was now giving a faint glow. "Liquid?" Rubbing the nail of her index finger against her thumb, she smeared the stuff and raised a brow. A sigh escaped her lips as she exclaimed, "This isn't all that useful in this situation."

"Is that so?" Suddenly a handful of the moss splattered in her face, coating the side of her cheek. Moki was laying prone directly in front of her with a devious look on their face, still holding the human form they had used prior.

"How did you…" The Ninja glanced over her shoulder, before looking to the creature in front of her as she abruptly felt the water rising in the crawlspace. "Where did…" Clenching her jaw, Tina looked to the cat folk who's tail rubbed against the ceiling of the crawlspace.

"Kekeke~ To think you made it farther than any other contestant, you should be proud," Moki announced her defeat, as she had failed to complete the maze, but still broke an unknowingly existing record.

Tina's eyes widened, peering over the cat's shoulder into the eternal darkness that would greet her eye. She then turned her attention to Moki once more, "You're not going to let me pass?"

"You were only to participate in a challenge, not complete the challenge, though that is one and the same… Is it not? Keke..." The cat giggled as it reached over and grasped her wrist, "Congratulations."

In an instant there was a magic circle rapidly forming beneath them, illuminating the rising water with a turquoise glow that was reaching just under her shoulders.

"Eh?" Tina blinked as she soon found herself engulfed by the light.

6