Chapter 4 – Question
23 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Ray’s whole body convulsed from a sharp pain that ravaged his forehead. His eyes teared up, whimpering from the sudden strike of excruciating sensations.

“Ugh”

He held his head with both hands, rolled over and kicked the air relentlessly. Damn these girls, what in the hell did he do to deserve being attacked just by saying hi? He might have a lack of social skills but Ray can confirm he was a man of integrity and culture.

Ray began clenching his fists and bit his lip to counteract the pain. Although the pain was now tolerable, his mind switched from different kinds of suffering. Burning? Stinging? Stabbing? Immediately, after forcing blood to come from his mouth and fists, the heat in his body rose to a terrifying degree that even sweat started evaporating.

He rolled for a minute on the ground, grabbing his hair and even tried pulling it. After a while, when the pain slowly weakened, Ray, whose sense of bearing came back, stood and finally calmed down. He exhaled, reached the helm of his shirt and wiped the snot dripping from his nose. His hands had a strange sensation, and couldn’t tell if the cloth was soft or coarse.   

He stopped for a moment, wondering how the hell he still breathed. That green shard surely made a barbecue stick on his skull and Ray would bet his whole life that it surely killed him, because a hole in the head was not something a living person should carry.

After he gathered his thoughts and arranged the events that led to his current situation, Ray concluded that the very place he stood... was the afterlife.

“Hmmm it’s the same shit again.” Ray took his shirt off. He twisted the shirt on both hands and squeezed, stretching it even. But no liquid came out.

The place he stood was a total abyss, although he could still feel the ground, it was all black and nothing moved in the darkness. Even though no light shone on his surroundings, he could still see the colors of his body. Ray thought it was too strange.  

“Well fuck me. I’m starting to get a phobia in dark places” Ray said, trudging slowly as he moved forward, like walking on a tight rope. He hoped to grab something, attempting to map out the place by waving his hands for every step he took. “Hello is anyone there?!”

No response. The customer service in the afterlife must be pretty shitty.    

At that moment, billows of red smoke swelled from above, Ray watched it descend like a waterfall hitting the ground. When he stepped back from the sudden noise, the smoke was quickly followed by an eruption of four gigantic stone pillars from the ground, making four corners with him as the center. And then, in a span of five blinks, another smoke puffed from each pillars’ base, surrounding him.

Afterwards, the ground rumbled, breaking Ray’s balance, and drove out all the smoke.

For an event of this magnitude, Ray equipped a calm demeanor.

“So this is like Chocola huh. Bring it on!”

The strange runic symbols engraved on the pillars were eerily familiar. Jagged shapes and straight lines, and just by looking at them made him excited for some reason. His heart thumped every time the symbols flashed.

Unexpectedly, spheres of colored lights conjured and orbited around him. Ray wondered where they came from. What are these? They appeared in front of him suddenly.

Each of them floated and shined strings of bright light which crept and tethered at Ray. He tried avoiding it but it always stuck with him.

Now, he was scared. These lights were like sniper lasers.

Strangely enough, Ray didn’t feel any danger. The balls of light were drawn to the only person in the void and slowly hovered to engulf him. Ray was concerned at the phenomena but after a few seconds, he sensed no hostility... only happiness and nostalgia, like they were some sort of close friends.

This confused him— an average dude having some sort of spiritual connection on Christmas-like balls, but Ray couldn’t deny the strong emotions screaming inside him, just as if they were long part of his life.

“Floating balls...They look like the standard wisps in RPG.”

He sat down to the ground and attempted to pet the wisps.

Fluff and soft caressed his skin.

Looking closely, Ray could see two black dots he assumed as eyes, gazing at him.

“Hehe! Too cute.” Ray smiled from ear to ear, obviously giggling at the wisps bubbly texture.  “I wonder where you all came from, can you show me the way out of this place?”

The wisps wobbled left and right uncontrollably.

“You don’t know?” He somehow understood the wisps.

Then suddenly, the temperature rose and a tornado of fire emerged on the pillars.

Dark red chains expelled from the raging inferno. Ray saw the wisps distressed.

The steel locks flickered and looked like the tentacles of a kraken going wild. The balls of light scattered from the chaos, seemingly scared from the loud rattles.

Targeting Ray, the chains erupted in flames towards him. He tried to fight it, but Ray’s body wouldn’t listen as it seared into his skin. He screamed and convulsed as it latched on his arms like a python constricting its prey. The steel then glowed brightly, and disappeared afterwards, leaving charred marks on his arms.  

Just as Ray was about succumb to the pain and pass out. An unknown force tugged at his arm and flicked him upwards. A portal of fire then materialized above him, and swallowed him during his flight.

Wisps returned and hovered at the place Ray was at; bright red light shimmered on their bodies as they immediately bounced and wrestled each other, almost as if they were enraged at his abduction...until.

The pillars shook again and spat red flames at their tips. Fumes of red escaped from the sky and then... BANG!

A thunderous explosion resounded, followed by a monstrous roar which vibrated the surroundings.

Feeling a jolt of danger, the little wisps ran at the grounds rumble, away from the towering pillars.

****************************************************************

Splash!

“Fuck! Chocola-tan not best waifu anymore!”

...

“Who’s Chocola-tan? And what’s a waifu?”

“Huh?!”

...

A girl’s deep brown eyes were directed at Ray’s dumbfounded face. Glistening red hair shimmered and reflected a crimson hue in his eyes. She wore a simple white dress and although her beauty was within Ray’s strike zone, he instantly knew that the beautiful girl who stood in front of him was the one who impaled him earlier.

Retreating at her sight, he was sure that this was reality and not some kind of dream, especially when green mist still fumed on her palms.

“You okay? Man who lost his memories?”

Shocked, Ray sat frozen as his back hit a wall.

“I recommend you to close your mouth; flies like to enter moist and smelly places”

“I-m still alive?” Ray held his forehead, rubbing furiously as he tried to find a hole.

“Well duh! I used Eng magic—- Oh right! I forgot you lost your memories.”

“Eng magic?”

“Yea. Sorry about that” the girl coughed once. “It was supposed to put you to sleep silently and check if you were telling the truth, but somehow you suddenly screamed and rolled on the floor and umm-.”

Ray loosened his shoulders a bit. His face was dyed with sweat and was a little bit pale, but hearing of his situation, he was relieved knowing he was not on a trip to the river Styx.

The dreamlike event he experienced earlier was intimidating, horrifying even. But even so, it felt so real, especially with the wisps.

Looking back, he could feel the wisps emotions. It was happiness that they had met with Ray... and a tinge of expectation?

Were they trapped inside that void and they want me to save them?

Truthfully, Ray didn’t really want to go back there anymore. The dark spooked him and those flaming chains might attack him again. Ugh. Ray shuddered at the thought of metal burning his skin.

Yet those wisps might help him, especially when he felt a special connection between them. He told himself that solving the mysteries on the void might give him the answers he was looking for. A way back to Earth.

He glanced at his arms and noticed faint black and white marks in a spiral form. Damn! I look like some edgy shounen character. All I need is a pair of red eyes and hunt the person who killed my family.

“Uhm... Are you sure you’re head’s okay? You’ve been dazing for about a minute.”

“Don’t worry I’m fine...I was thinking about some stuff and by the way, I was about to ask for your name until you skewered my head”

“I’m really really sorry about what happened”

The girl bowed in a 90 degree angle. He saw no expression but one could tell at a glance that she was sincere in her apology, and thinking about it, Ray thought what she did earlier was a necessary precaution when he barged in the middle of the night especially with the danger of bandits roaming around. Well she’s kinda cute and Ray didn’t die or anything, so let bygones be bygones.

“Well its fine I’m not angry anymore”

“Good... Sister Lily would kill me if something happened to a guest”

Extending her hand, the girl pulled Ray up.

“You can call me Analie and I mainly do the cooking around here”

...

“Ray. Ray Villan”

 

*********************************************************

 

hisss

Fresh blood leaked as the searing of flesh could be heard. The puffs of ember drift in the air like snowflakes and kissed upon the surface of the soil. Drenched in red, Analie reached for a box besides the sizzling sound.

“hmmm”

Flames cracked in the presence of moonlight.

“We’ve run out of potatoes Ray, ask Old Dan for some. Make sure it’s fresh!” she placed the box in front of the man dressed in full white and with a bandana wrapped around his head.

Forming a “V” with his two fingers, Ray grinned ear to ear “Yes Chef! Apprentice Ray will get it now.”

“Oh you” both hands at her waist, Analie replied “You’ve been here for 2 weeks now, I didn’t give you work so that you can flatter me every day. Don’t do anything stupid okay? And make sure it’s fresh”

“I know I know, but I can’t really help it you know? With my situation, I’m really grateful because I have food and a place to sleep.

Bowing his head slightly like he’d done this a thousand times, Ray dashed to the exit.

“Wait! You forgot your Lumen” Analie replied, and threw a translucent silver colored object. Clank! A shimmery light glimmered as it amplified the moonlight it absorbed, eliminating the darkness around it.

“Make sure it’s fresh!”

Catching it, he bowed at the girl once again and closed the door “Thanks”

Ray quickly left the kitchen and exited from the building. Standing on the paved ground, he placed the glowing crystal into the empty box he received.

It had been 2 weeks since the church employed him. Each morning and night, Ray helped in the cooking and cleaning until he got so tired he slept blissfully every night. The food was fulfilling and the pillows kept him warm. Ray felt the importance of life and learned to appreciate the world he once lived.   

Letting out a sigh, he walked towards the marketplace. Although it was in the middle of night, people still flocked on the streets. A phenomenon which baffled Ray but after picking up the poster he stepped on, he finally understood.

[ Ayari’s Demise ]

[Played by the famous NIGHT TROUPE]

It feels weird that I can read this world’s language but can’t write its alphabet.

Folding the paper, Ray put the poster in his pocket and resumed walking towards the marketplace.

“Roasted corn for only 10 cents!”

“Vegetables still glossy as my head. Cheap and fresh!”

“Clams! Clams!”

“Potato and meat stew for a hearty meal! Oh! Big bro Ray!”

Shifting his head, Ray glanced at the scruffy kid on his right.

“Hey there Shaun, can you call you’re old man? We’ve run out of potatoes.” He placed the Lumen to his pocket and gave the empty box to the kid.

Like a panther, Shaun dashed towards a door behind the stall.

Eyeing the opened lid Ray took a whiff of its smell. Heavily spiced and warmed, the food seduced his stomach. Although he snacked a bit back at the church, his belly still grumbled as drool dripped from his mouth.

He looked at the sign nailed at the base.

30 cents.

That was the price for a bowl.

In this world’s currency, cents had the smallest value. It was circular in shape like the coins from Earth, and engraved within, was the face of the founding emperor. From what Analie told him, 100 cents was equivalent to a single pixel and with it having denominations of 1 and 5 cents.

And the weird thing is that the value of 10 pixels is called a grand which also shocked Ray, knowing that a grand was made of paper.

The people here had paper currency.

For a freeloader of the Church and having a salary of whatever Analie gives him, 30 cents was just too much for Ray.

Surely he could join the local guards and receive a sizeable income but doing so would take his freedom away. Ray thought a lot of things but decided to pursue a flexible job with a freedom to travel was the better way of living. A merchant perhaps or “Adventurer” if they exist in this world would be the best choice. He’s an Engineering student for christ’s sake and... Calculus must be useful for daily life right?

Clearing his thoughts, a creak of a door was then heard. 

“A blessed night Ray, how’s Sister Lily? We’re both nearing in our 50’s and she is still refusing my invitation for the night.”

“Yeah Big bro Ray! He always talks about granny Lily in his sleep.”

“I think it’s unlikely that Sister Lily will accept you Old Dan. She seems to be serious in the church business.”

As Old Dan handed the box of potatoes, he moved to grab his chest and made a poorly acted sad face. “Oh dear Halavat! My heart is broken yet again.”

There he goes with his antics

The owner of the Lily Inn, Old Dan, was the reason why the orphans and refugees of the church led a hunger-free life. Analie said Old Dan lived a refugee in the past once, until an apprentice Sister Lily found him lying on the woods and fed him. It was then told that Old Dan had an immense adoration for the Sister who liberated him from his despair.

“I should be going now” Ray said, not wanting to spend any second of the old man’s outbursts.

After thanking Old Dan, Ray took the Lumen from his pocket, placed it on top of the potatoes then left towards Guard Gibson’s house. The light of enhanced moonlight illuminated his way.

As Ray was about to step on Gibson’s doorstep, a sudden and loud bang shook the entirety of the village. Different colored lights blasted off into the sky, like someone fired a rifle with tracers. Ray’s heart pounded at the sounds as the vibrations emitted gave him goose bumps. Different patterns of explosions roared; three explosions in a second, one explosion every other second. It blinded Ray for every flash. After the noise receded, the villagers’ screams could be heard next. Young, old, men, women, children; There were no exceptions, each and every one screamed from the top of their lungs.

A door cranked open in front of Ray and a man emerged with an intricate sun symbol from his clothes. This man had a delirious look and a flushed face, almost crazy even.

“THEY ARE HERE!!”

“Um... Gibso-“

“Finally they are here!” he held both Ray’s shoulders and shook him back and forth.

“Whose they?!” Ray said and shoved Gibson’s arms away.

Gibson directed a smile at Ray and had a questioning look from his face.

Opening his arms, Gibson explained. “Sharia from the Night Troupe is finally here!”

“What? Who’s that?”

“By Halavat’s ass” Gibson sighed and clicked his tongue “It’s Sharia you dimwit and I don’t want hear anything you want to say right now. So bye bye!”

...

“Wait! Your potatoes!”

...

Ray groaned, Looking at Gibson who actually ran.

“Guess more for us”

=====================================================

“The demons have overrun Halgard!”

“My King what shall we do?”

“Please save us!”

“The people of Halgard begged to King Lorem Ipsum Ivanovich III, the man who raised Halgard to its prime would save them and stop the invasion.”

“Their loved ones were murdered, their friends eaten and their home burned. The surviving Knights Order pleaded to the 4th King of Halgard with anger and desperation in their eyes. Please save us! they said”

“What of the reinforcements from Pierro, Captain?”

“Th- they were obliterated sire... including the messengers we sent and ...Princess Saya”

“They were supposed to be the safest of all. Shit!”

“The King shook his head, held his red cape and wiped the tears flowing from his face and declared.”

“My subjects and dear comrades we have failed. Halgard is no more. Ready your swords and steel yourselves, for this will be our last stand.”

“Goodness gracious! When will Sharia appear?!... Ouch!”

“Gibson shut up. I’m trying to watch here.”

“The people of Halgard had their backs against the wall. Faced with this dilemma the strongest and the wisest King lost all hope.”

“But fear not people of Jansen! When all hope was lost, a miracle occurred! The clouds were suddenly opened from the sky and silver light shone. It was then, Ayari, Goddess of the Moon descended upon the palace!”

“Hey that’s her cue Robert.”

“Do I have to hit you again Gibson? Please shut up.”

“Crimson eyes and a silver hair, Ayari met with the surviving humans”

“And behold! That was when the King and his people had their hope regained!”

“We kneel before the Goddess. Please save us!”

“There is no need to kneel mortals. I am just upholding my vow”

...

...

...

“Hey Gibson.”

“What is it Robert?”

“I think I might be in love. Sharia’s performance was outstanding. The way she acted Ayari’s sacrifice herself made me cry a little.”

“I know, but it really confuses me. Why did Ayari do that?” She could have used her powers to kill those demons.”

“We will never know Gibson. It had been three hundred years after all since Ayari died. Now we’re left with ten major Gods who always fight each other and ---”

“Demons coming back, right?”

“What?!”

“Sharia!?”

“I’m sorry for disturbing your night gentlemen... but am I right to assume that your name is Gibson and you guarded the southern gate on the night of Halavat’s Festival?”

“Stop staring at her my dumb friend! Answer her!”

“Uh... Yeah! I was stationed there on that night.”

“I see! That is good to hear Mister Gibson.”

“It is?”

“Yes! Truly! If you can answer my question truthfully, I will give you a reward PER-SO-NALLY~ <3”

“Oh my Halavat! Am I dreaming Gibson?”

“Shut up Robert! And wha- what might be your question mish- miss Sharia?”

“Oh it’s pretty simple. On the night of the Halavat’s Festival when the four moons Ayari, Temis, Gali and Oth were aligned. There happened to be a strange occurrence on this very village.”

“Strange occurrence?”

“Maybe Mr. Robert. And the question I want to ask for you Mr. Gibson is... did a strange or weird person come inside the village on that very night?”

“A strange person you say?”

“Yes. A person so strange he could agitate the spirits around him.”

0