01 – Back Home
26 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Hello everyone!
I received some good comments that advised me to reshape the paragraphs into shorter ones and change the dialogues in quotations instead of using dashes. Therefore, I will be slowly changing that. (:

The night was quiet and breezy but one would expect the beginning of June would be such. Especially since Balhkara was one of those countries to the east that was blessed with the gentle, night summer swooshes of the ocean winds.

Even more so, the pleasantness was stronger when the old paved streets of Udeos carried a faint sulphury smell mixed with barbecued meat and red peppers. Good cuisine, one could say.

Particularly famous was the one at 'Tava' – a tavern that sheltered Udeos' fine hunters and huntresses after long missions away from home.

Guests could enjoy the bitter taste of golden grains brewed into fine caramelized fuzzy beer; deer meat steaks were expensive but anyone could afford a piece or two of air-dried, sometimes alternative were smoke-dried sausages.

Of course, these treats came seasonally – for example, during the Winter, guests preferred mulled wine and barbecued pork chops. 'Tava' never failed to satisfy seasonal preferences.

That was one of the reasons why most of the returning home hunters and huntresses visited it, but also made the tavern into a meeting-point, right after a mission. Clanks of glasses and metal mugs rang inside.

Music was not needed although the background supplied with quiet notes of traditional Balhkaran rhythmic music. However, the atmosphere was often too merry that nobody noticed whenever the music stopped for a while before resuming.

Three particular hunters were enjoying the brand-new beer recipe after a long absence from home. The town had been talking about Stan's brewery for a while since he came up with a new way to brew the grains and the old-known golden color now was more of dark amber.

The men took a deep sip like thirsty wanderers in a desert, they halved the mugs before an audible groan escaped each one of them – what a bliss! The smell of home, and the taste of it!

"Ah, I am so happy that the mission was a success!", said one of the males.

His complexion paled from exhaustion but the smile hid the relief from being back home. He loved Udeos, his hometown. Baht Ver was his name, quite artistic of his family to name him after a loyal warrior from an old folklore story although his close ones often referred to him as Bave.

He was barely 30-year-old but was a well-known name in the circle of hunters. In fact, the Association of Hunters Bar often sought his help whenever a mission turned more complex than anticipated. Missions usually had a wide range of units that had their respectful specialty in the field.

Perse, some units had to oversee the annual harvesting and protect it from barbarians who looted and sowed destruction. Many villages had lost their crops and cattle because of such horrendous attacks.

Besides, many of the villagers relied on either private security – such as of hunters or on the kingdom's soldiers whenever they were released for a month or so.

Then again, not many villages could afford to pay therefore the free watchmen services of soldiers were preferred. Missions could also include escorting merchants, in fact, more than 40% of the Association of Hunters Bar had units for 'Merchant Supervision'.

It was a well-paid job though Baht Ver preferred more of S-ranked missions. These usually had to do with national treasures and retrieval of lost artifacts.

Across the table were his teammates – Rahk Kal and Iyal Koh. The three men were a team for more than ten years. In fact, upon joining Bave lucked out to train alongside them, and later they formed a team. He could never imagine a mission without being backed up by these two.

Kal was the forceful-type of a hunter, he handled some rude clients – especially when they would play funny once the payment had to be done. His straight-forwardness was eased by Koh, who was positive and tranquil. Well, tranquil for a hunter. It was rare to have such a fluff-ball of character join the Association. A truly well-balanced team, nonetheless.

"Yeah, it was a long journey. I am happy we made it back home before the end of June.", said Koh after holding back a burp from the heavy beer taste. Whatever Stan had experimented with, his new beer was quite heavy than usual.

"You are right, we are quite lucky to make it for the 'Rose Festival'.", nodded Kal as reached with his rough but clean hand to pick a barbecued deer chop.

"Ah! Indeed! The Rose Fest!", Bave's exhausted complexion suddenly brightened up and his palm squeezed around his beer mug.

"Don't tell me you forgot about it… I thought the reason why you rushed us through the forest was just to get in time for it.", Kal gave him a long stare, remembering the awful journey back.

They hadn't slept properly for the last 48 hours and here he thought that Bave was just in a hurry to reach Udeos in time for the festival.

"Eh…ah…well…", Bave felt a bit guilty, fully aware that his team members were completely drained and his reason had nothing to do with the Rose Festival.

He quickly changed the topic after a brief chuckle, "Say Kal, are you planning to take Lena to the Festival this year? I think my sister was around that age when she went to the rose-gathering."

"Ah yeah. I discussed it with my wife last year, Lena will probably join the Fest this time. Although I am not sure if she is ready to find a future husband at the traditional rose-gathering ritual."

"Pfff –", Koh couldn't help it and swallowed a burst of half-audible laughter, "Is it your daughter or you who don't think so?"

"Oh shut up, Koh.", Kal rolled his green eyes before lifting his mug for another long sip.

"Come on, you do know that rose-gathering is the perfect way to get the blessings from the gods to find the perfect match.", Koh tried to convince Kal, like usual.

Kal was one of these skeptics who would never support the "old ways". Even though he met his wife exactly at such rose-gathering. However, there were many reasons why Kal, and many other people from all over the Kingdom, wanted to abandon "the old ways"

Bave listened to his teammates, and friends, whilst playing with the grip of his beer mug. His black eyes were a deep pit of endless thoughts. He watched his friends but in the back of his mind he knew he was just watching two major representatives of pro- and anti- "the old ways".

By "old ways" many would understand traditions, customs, and knowledge too. Knowledge was in the core of it, so Bave thought. One part of the Kingdom supported the traditions, the memory of the great Balhkara when their rulers led the world and educated it with ancient-old knowledge.

But then, there were such who did not support it. They spat on such idiotic idealism – Balhkara never had amazing rulers! Just rats! What Balhkara needed was change.

Bave looked down to his mug, following the lazy movements of his thumb against the metal grip. He knew both sides were equally right but also equally wrong, yet he was just a simple hunter and no ruler. He could not rule but sure as hell he would offer his loyalty if the need was such.

However, Balhkara had long lost its shine. Nowadays such stories of glory are long-dead. The once-great kingdom is nothing more than a god forgotten province of other kingdoms – a piece of land that just pays high taxes and corruption eating off its beauty and ancient prestige.

"…ve… Bave!", Kal raised his voice irritated although the chattering in the tavern barely allowed any yell to be distinguishable. A merry but loud place.

"What is wrong? You have been brooding for some days now.", Koh expressed his concern and both of the males looked at Bave, somewhat expecting him to share his worries.

How well do You know Your country's history?
  • I know a lot. Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I know some things. Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I know little to nothing. Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I dislike history. Votes: 0 0.0%
Total voters: 0
0