11 – Forest Surprise
22 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The horses were packed up and ready – as they have planned previously. The males switched their colors, wrapping the white horses in thin dull-colored layers not to be eye-catching during the passage through the forest and blend in with the row of black stallions.

The 'safe-zone' was soon to be left behind as they galloped through the last few miles of fields. Bave, once again, took the lead and coordinated the team into the depths of the forest.

The even parts and sunshine gradually faded out, leaving them in complete forest abyss that hardly allowed any light in. The horse beats echoed into the distance and for any foe that had keen senses, the double number of horses could act as a good deception to confuse them regarding the number of riders.

It was another advantage to bring additional horses, Bave thought. Although the pros and cons of the number of horses were canceling each other but Bave hoped for the best.

The hunters flipped the bridles and directed the horse pack, turning to the north. None of them wanted to spend much time within the forest prison as it had many disadvantages.

Perse, if there was a planned ambush – which could happen any time and from any direction, the hunters were not only unprotected by the Association Bar laws but also could hardly fight off a big number of bandits in that entrapped location.

Moreover, any skilled warrior knew that being on foreign land was a disadvantage. If the one who was to ambush them was in a wait – that meant they had time to study the place and prepare accordingly whilst the hunters have just walked in.

Everything looked foreign and unknown despite being a route they have taken a few times on in the past.

Bave galloped in the front, his eyes sharp and slightly narrowed due to the whipping wind. It was a wise decision to rest before entering the woodland. He couldn't imagine his senses enduring beyond his best record of seventy-hours unrest.

His hearing sense was completely focused on every sound – whether the whistles of the wind or the cracks of the branches, his mind was completely submerged into the forest life.

Anything and whatever that felt, or rather sounded, out of place would raise a red flag.

Kal and Koh, although older than and not so flexible as Bave, could keep up with their experience and the familiarity with their captain's coordinating signs. For example, a raised-hand meant 'Halt', a hand up with index finger slightly pointing upwards meant 'Speed up'.

However, probably one of the most important signs that the men had to look out for was when Bave rested his hand above his sheathed sword. It meant 'Danger, be prepared!' - during such times, the team had to be ready for defense, not offense. It was clever to await the foe to attack rather than trying to be the first to jump on the offense.

A gesture to halt was made and the galloping soon ceased as the men approached a small patch of land that seemed to have been occupied as a camping site. However, the males did not find a single living soul – just an abandoned tent with a put-out fire piled within a rock circle.

Bave hopped off the horse but insisted the other two to be on guard and remained on the horses whilst he was inspecting the camping site. They could have easily passed it by, however, the males noticed that the tent had the Association Hunters Bar logo on its sides.

It was both an obligation to check on other hunter brothers and besides, if they joined them at least during the trip in the forest – it could be a lot safer.

The young hunter crouched before the burned coals and hovered carefully his hand above. No heat indicated that the fire had been recently put out.

His eyes quickly scanned the place and it seemed oddly intact. If the hunters were not attacked, why would they leave everything behind? Besides, Bave even noticed bags with food and weapons piled next to the half-ruined tent.

Not many things came to mind and he paced to Kal and Koh who cautiously looked around. The trees were densely accumulated and it made it hard to see if someone was hiding or rather, preying on them.

"What had happened here?", Kal asked whilst trying to balance himself on the still horse that shook its head now and then.

"Ambush?", Koh suggested but Bave quickly shook his head.

"No, I don't think so. Nothing seems to be missing from the essentials; besides, weapons are around.", Bave made a point.

Whoever for whatever reasons might have attempted an attack, the first thing to be privatized and gone missing was the weapons.

A nagging thought span in Bave's mind but he refused to consider it – it made no sense. And even if it made sense from a third party's point of view, he did not want to accept it.

The only reason he could think of, when it came to skilled hunters abandoning everything in the middle of nowhere, was actually…a well-known tactic to 'catch your own'. However, there was no reason for the Association to hunt Bave and his team. It just simply made no sense.

Just when he was about to climb up on his horse, the piercing sound of probed wind annoyed his ears. His keen hearing sense saved him from a well-aimed arrow.

"BAVE!", Kal and Koh drew his swords out, looking around to find the source of the arrow shot.

Was it a trap? An ambush? Moreover, who was attacking them? The hunters formed a circle whilst steady on their horses.

They could not afford to have them run off or be stolen – they could not afford to possibly miss the chance to retrieve the Nominalia. Bave had managed to hop back up on his massive stallion and the ringing sound of drawn-out steel vibrated as he held his sword slightly below his chest level.

Several other arrows followed and based on the directions they were flying from and the frequency, there were four to five archers. God knew if they had to deal with just arrows or other dangers lurked.

Bave tried to remain calm and stay on toes just in case close-range attackers popped from somewhere.

"Koh, take the back-- Push the unused horses in the circle!", Bave took over as a true captain, instructing the team's each move, "Turn to the left! Don't allow the horses to be hurt!"

"Bave!",  Kal called out as he deterred an arrow from piercing the back of their captain.

It seemed that the main target was the head of the team, no other but Bave himself. Most of the arrows were fired his way.

"Deeh boy!", Bave pulled his horse bridle and flexed his arm firm to keep the horse's head face away from the pathway and slowly pull the pack out.

They had to get away from this open area where they were an easy target.

The men kept deflecting the arrows one after another whilst pacing away from the open patch of land. The trees started screening away the long-distance attacks.

As soon as the hunters got off the track, they resumed galloping as fast as possible. The shower of arrows did not cease but luck was on their side so far.

However, the three of them knew that they had to think of something as luck did not last forever!

Who do You think is attaching Bave's guild?
  • The Association of Hunters Bar. Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Foreign hunters. Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Bandits. Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other. Votes: 0 0.0%
Total voters: 0
0