Chapter 4.5, the first Envy, and other noteworthy individuals.
574 6 15
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

In a dim and damp cavern, within sits a young man,  greying orange hair, sickly pale skin, light green eyes, covered in faded scars and without a single piece of cloth on his body.

What he sits on top of, is a pile of dismembered limbs and random vital organs, from a door behind him, approaches an old man dress in butlers attire.

The young man speaks slowly and quietly.

[Ah. Have you. Brought news. Isaac.]

[Yes, Lord Hayne, although I am not Isaac, that was my grandfather, I am Owen.]

[Then. Owen. What news. Have you. Brought.] the young man then picks up a sword and it morphs, screeching as it distorts and reforms into a dagger, he slowly pierces his chest with it and looks towards the old man.

[well, Lord Hayne, a new Envy has been discovered and it seems Greed has taken an interest in her, there are also rumours of a grand war to come and Wrath seems adamant in participating, other than that, there isn't a lot of relevant information, ah and Pride is still missing.]

Before replying he removed the dagger, the wound quickly stitching back together [I. Have no. Interest. In war. This envy. Tell me. More.]

[Yes, it seems it is but a young girl, however, she seems quite strong, she was able to massacre a large number of forest creatures in a single night, within there are known territories of drakes and even a gryphon.]

[Are you. Saying that. She. Killed. The gryphon.]

[It is not known, Lord Hayne.]

[Never... mind. Anyway. You mentioned greed. I thought. He died.]

[Ah, there is a new Greed, a dragon became the demon lord of greed about 45 years ago, that is why you may not have known.]

[I. See.] He softly replied, then using the dagger he cut open his belly, stuck his hand up into his chest, and pulled out his own heart, he dropped it onto the pile and his injury soon melded shut.

He stood up and walk towards the old man [You have done. A great deal. To help me. It is, about time, I rewarded you.]

[Thank you, Lord Hayne.]

The young man quickly punctured the old man's skull with the dagger, the old man fell on his back, dead, the dagger embedded in his skull, the young man knelt and spoke in a more normal yet solemn tone [Rest peacefully, Isaac.] he removed the dagger and the old man's body turned to sand.


Elsewhere.

[Silence fool!] Shouts a large muscular man sitting a wooden throne, he had sharp, pointy ears, deep violet eyes and long flowing golden locks.

[Do you not realise how important this matter is, my son.] he spoke down at a smaller, younger, skinny version of himself.

the boy lifted his head to look at his father, part of the boy's left cheek had rotted away, leaving a hole through which you could see into his mouth and around the edge was blackened and stretched.

[But father, it is but one small, young girl, surely you can't mean to take someone so weak, so seriously.] the boy jested.

[You weren't alive at the time so I do not expect you to understand the power of that creature, that thing, no, that monster! if she is anything as near as powerful as the last one, she'll raze our kingdoms to ruin, eventually. She must be kill before she can grow, that is why you will go the human capitals and negotiate with them, your brother is going to the city of the giants, your sister is going to the Beastman plains and you will go to Germania, is that clear?!]

[Yes, father] his son meekly replied.

[Once we have forged our alliances with the beastmen, giants and humans, we will march on the dwarven kingdom of lovegold, I'm sure we can get some of the other dwarven kings to join us while we are there, after all, they know all too well how terrifying the beast is, then if all goes well, the king will offer the girl's life over his city being destroyed and his people killed, if he does we elves shall leave as we will promise, haha, but that's only us, who knows what the others will do, people know the stories of the riches of the dwarfs, I wonder if after marching all that way if they will be satisfied walking away empty-handed, hahaha. but you have your orders now, so leave.]

[Y-yes.] his voice trembled slightly from his frustration but he knew he couldn't avoid it, so he quickly left the large throne room.

[Damn it!] he shouted after the heavy doors shut behind him.

[That old geezer, why the hell doesn't my ability work on him. I shouldn't have to go on some stupid fucking journey because he's scared of one little girl, if she's reincarnated like me then it could be a bit troublesome...] He was muttering to himself when four beautiful women with breasts that were unrealistically big, ran up to him.

[Are you finally done?]

[You look troubled, are you okay?]

[How about we have some fun to take your mind off it?]

[don't keep him all to yourself this time.] the women said one after another.

he grinned and replied, [it's fine, just a troublesome errand from my father, and don't worry I'll make sure I have time to play with all of you before I leave, so don't fight.]

one of them embraced him [oh, noel, I love you so much]

[I love him more!] another exclaimed, trying to get in between them.

[girls, girls, do not fight, it is better to love, don't you agree, so let's go play.]

and so they all went with him, giggling and still fighting amongst one another.


Through vast grassland, a young boy with feline ears and tail quickly runs on all fours, darting across the flats and he swiftly scaled a dead Titanwood tree, after getting only a small way up the colossal tree, he ran along a branch, stopping and looking over the plains.

He had hair as white as snow, fair skin and pale blue eyes, his ear and tail were a grey shade of tan with black spots.

[Oi! boy!] a deep loud voice shouted up to him.

he looked down below him seeing three large beastmen standing with spears, they were also from one of the cat-like tribes, but definitely not his.

[What's one of your kind doing down here, aren't you lot supposed to live up north in those mountains.] the man in the middle shouted up to him.

[Isn't he from the snow leopards. Hey, boy! I thought your tribe had died out, seems I was wrong.] another said.

[I am sorry if I trespassed on your territory, however, I did not know, I do not wish for a fight, will you please let me pass.] the boy pleaded, without a hint of feeling from his cold, calculating voice.

[We're sorry, however, we would never give up a trophy as rare and as grand as yourself, so run and make it fun, hehe.] the one in the middle replied.

[I... see] the boy said, his eyes sharpening, his nails dug into the branch before letting go and dropping down in front of the three

[Are you surrendering, boy? That's no fun.]

[That is incorrect, I am going to kill you, however, if you wish to flee, I will not chase.] the boy calmly explained.

[Ha, just try it!] the middle man shouted, thrusting his spear at the boy.

The boy effortlessly dodged the spear and dashed up to the man, with a single swing of his hand, he tore the man's throat out, the man collapsing to the ground, gasping for air and holding his bleeding, severely injured neck.

One of the other men charged in anger, swinging the spear at the boy with fury, the boy simply caught it, crushing the shaft and then throwing the spear tip back at the man, it pierced deeply into his chest, the two quickly decided it wasn't worth fighting and fled leaving their dying comrade behind.

The boy watched as they ran off, then he turned his attention to the man bleeding out, to ease the man's suffering, he picked up the spear that the man had been using and swiftly ended the man's life.

[I did not wish to fight, I am sorry I had to kill you.] the boy spoke without an ounce of sorrow or regret.


[Excuse me, are you Metis Rife?] asked a young boy, who had entered my shop.

I turned the corner of the page I was reading, closed my book, looked at him, and answered simply.

[Yes, I am.]

His face showed relief and smiled slightly, before quickly becoming panicked.

[I heard you can bring people back from death, my sister, please save her.]

I folded my arms, slightly annoyed by the request, and asked [Two things, how did she die and how much money do you own.]

His expression grew sadder and he quietly responded [She was beaten to death by bandits, who captured and raped her.]

His eyes became wet and he started to sob.

[Well, I can bring her back, so how much gold do you have?]

[Er.. not much, we're not from a wealthy family... I only have about 200 gold to my name.]

[160 gold pieces and I'll save her.]

[But... that's so much, we'll starve if you take that much!]

I pick up the book and go back to reading [Well, it's up to you, 160 gold to bring back some you love, seems like a small price to pay to me.]

[Where I'm from, no comes back, not ever, no matter how much money you have.] I mutter under my breath

[Anyway, if you would like to purchase any books, you're more than welcome to browse my store.] I pipe up 

[Fine, I'll pay, just save her.] he finally decided

[Good, just give me a minute to grab my satchel, then you can take me to her.] I say putting my book down and going into the back of the shop to get my satchel.

I quickly put on the satchel and return to the front [Well, lead the way!] I prompt

He hurriedly leads me through the streets and down towards one of the more impoverished areas.

[Also, don't worry about paying today or in one go, I'm fine with taking monthly installments, but remember if you don't pay, I can easily take back the life I gave your sister.] I say during our journey, he seems thankful but also a bit worried.

We finally arrived at a small house that was slightly run-down, inside was quite bare and untidy, on a bed lay a girl slightly older than the boy, if her face wasn't ruined with bruises, blood and her broken nose I'm sure she would've been quite a beauty, but really, she was in a terrible state, her body and mind were thoroughly defiled before her death, no doubt.

[So can you save her now?!] the boy exclaimed, trying to hurry me.

[Yes, I can bring her back from death, although... never mind, we'll see what happens.]

I grab a book from my satchel, holding it in my left hand, I place my spare hand on her forehead and focus my mana, in the air appears a small broken clock which begins to repair and rewind, soon she starts breathing again and slowly her injuries shrink and fade, with a loud crack her nose returns to its normal position and after a short time, her eyes open and the small clock starts ticking again, before fading.

She looks around, dazed for a second. 

[Orion!] she called out to him

He quickly jumped into her outstretched arms [Eva!]

After a few moments of cuddling, she turned her attention to me.

[Orion, who is this woman and why is she in our home?]

[It's okay, big sis, she is Metis and she is the one who saved you.]

[What do you mean, saved me?] she replied

[I saved you from poverty, I'm here to see if you would like to work for me, I run a book store and could do with a pair of hands around to help out, the wage is decent and if you like I have accommodation available above the shop, you could live there if you want, it's probable bigger and cleaner than this place, so what do you say?] I quickly answer

Orion looks at me with surprise and confusion, I ignore his gaze and put away the book.

[How much is the wage?] she asked

[15 gold per week each as well as free accommodation.]

She looked at me, astounded [What kind of work is it, for such a high wage, it sounds way too good to be true.]

[It's pretty simple work, stock shelves, run errands, look after the front of the shop, serving customers, oh and check records... ah, that's right, can either of you actually read or write?] I reply

Her face became slightly gloomy [Neither of us can write, I can read a little] she answered

[I see... well that's okay, I'll teach you two, so are you interested in the job?]

[Yes! thank you so much for this opportunity, we are very grateful.] she replied

[Well, grab your possessions and follow me, you start today... ah, don't worry too much, I'll only be showing you the ropes today] 

and so I lead them back to my store.

why did I suddenly decide to hire them, pity? maybe, ulterior motive? none. I just did it on a whim.


So that's finally done, what did you think about this little side story character introduction, well regardless the main story continues next chapter.

15