8 – Up, Up and Away !
427 2 22
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The hallways of the Justice League Watchtower were built to be very wide and with incredibly high ceilings. This was done in order to allow flying heroes, such as Lara and her father, plenty of room to maneuver. Despite this, the corridors were all empty that night, with the exception of some maintenance and janitorial droids that kept the station functional and tidy.

Lara was grateful for this, as she would have hated to have accidently flown into Martian Manhunter or a Green Lantern, and have to explain her appearance by coming out unprepared.

It didn’t take long for Lara and her father to zip through the corridors until they eventually arrived outside the main conference room of the Watchtower. Thanks to her super-hearing, Lara could already hear several familiar voices.

First, she heard the deep and serious tone of her Uncle Bruce, AKA The Batman. “The latest intel from the GCPD suggests that, not only has Crane displayed a recent fascination with Olympian magic, but he has also fled Gotham. It may seem unlikely now, but we can’t ignore the possibility that the two cases are connected.”

“I will be sure to inform the other Amazons.” came a second voice. Lara smiled as she recognized the strong, yet calm voice of Princess Diana of Themyscira, AKA Wonder Woman. “Circe has kept an unusually low profile since her escape. I pray to Hera, that these concerns are unfounded. Crane’s evil combined with Circe’s power would be a force to be reckoned with.”

Donna Troy’s voice was next to speak up. “Don’t worry, Diana. Kara and I are keeping a close eye on the Circe situation. The second she makes a move, we’ll be ready.”

A younger, Arabic-accented voice interrupted Donna. “Tt. All the same, if they are working together, we would rather you let us deal with Crane.” said Damian. “My Habibi and I have a score to settle with that madman.”

Lara couldn’t help but wonder what the others were talking about. Crane? Were they referring to the Scarecrow? She had heard plenty about him from Damian, which was enough to give her nightmares. The man was a former psychologist who had invented “fear-gas”, that gave people hallucinations of their worst fears come to life. Though Lara had never met him, and she wasn’t even sure if the gas would work on Kryptonians, the idea of Scarecrow being on the loose was not something she wanted to dwell on.

As for Circe, Lara knew even less about her. She knew that she was an evil Greek sorceress, who enjoyed transforming her victims into animals, and that she was an old enemy of Wonder Woman. But aside from that, nothing.

Lara decided it was best not to think about these issues. She had a job of her own to be getting on with. Besides, the Justice League had defeated loads of powerful bad guys before. An old witch and a crazy scarecrow wouldn’t be a problem, right?

Clark gave Lara a look that read, “You okay, honey?”, and Lara gave him a thumbs-up.

“Well, until we have further information,” said Diana from inside the meeting room, “I’d suggest we move on to the next topic.”

Right on cue, Clark entered a code into the panel and the door slid open. Clark stood in the doorway as Lara hid around the corner.

“Good evening, League!” Clark said, cheerfully. “Sorry, I’m late.”

Lara could hear Bruce and Damian grumble, but Diana’s tone indicated that she was smiling.

“Not to worry, Clark. Welcome!” said Diana. “You’re right on time, actually. Didn’t you say that you had a special announcement to make?”

Lara felt butterflies in her stomach. It sounded like her cue was coming any second now.

“Ah, yes!” Clark cleared his throat as he began, “Well you see, the other night, I had dinner with my family and we…Something happened...with one of my… kids...” He paused as he tried to think of what was best to say. He clearly should have rehearsed this like Lara and Lois had.

“Did something happen, Clark?” Diana cut in, sounding genuinely concerned by his hesitation, “Did something happen with Conner or Jo-”

“No!” Clark cut Diana off a little too loudly and quickly. Even if it was an accident, Lara was glad that her dad had stopped Diana. Being deadnamed by her favourite superheroine would not be a very encouraging experience.

Clark tried to gather himself, apparently conscious that everyone was now staring at him like he had two heads. “No, Diana,” he repeated. “The kids are fine. Great in fact!”

“Clark. What is going on?” Batman asked, sounding less worried and more annoyed, “I haven’t seen you this nervous about a personal matter since I helped you practice proposing to Lois.” He said this like it was the most casual thing, but Lara had to suppress her laughter at the mental image of Bruce Wayne looking all stoic and serious, while Clark knelt before him with a ring. It was even funnier if she pictured it with Batman, instead of Bruce Wayne.

“Would you like me to give this a try, cuz?” Kara asked.

“No, no I’ve got this…” Clark took another deep breath and figured it was best to just be direct and let Lara do her own talking. “There is someone special I’d like to introduce you to.” He turned to the doorway and dramatically gestured with one arm, “Presenting, for the very first time; The New Supergirl!”

Lara steadied herself before flying from her hiding space and through the doorway, coming to a stop in midair by her father's side, her cape flapping around her.

“Hi everyone!” she said, hoping her confident voice concealed her nerves. “You can call me Lara. Um… I’m trans.” She grinned nervously and closed her eyes, as she anticipated everyones reactions.

Silence hung in the air. The only sound that could be heard was the soft hum of the Watchtower’s generators. Lara kept her eyes shut. She didn’t want to look at everyone’s expressions.

She was waiting for somebody to say something, but then she heard three pairs of hands loudly clapping. It was only then that she opened her eyes and looked, curious to see who it was.

Looking around the meeting room table she saw her dad and Kara clapping proudly. Then she saw Diana who was beaming with just as much pride, as she clapped along with the Supers. Feeling her spirits soar, Lara turned her attention to the other three people in the room.

Next to Kara, Donna seemed to be slowly connecting the dots of what this reveal meant, and as she put it together, a wide smile came to her face, and she enthusiastically joined in the clapping.

Finally, Lara looked at Batman and Robin. The father-son duo was a little harder to read. As best as she could tell, she had at least surprised both of them, which was an accomplishment in and of itself. After a few seconds, Batman did something incredibly unusual and slightly scary; he smiled!

Damian looked up at his father, who started clapping along with everyone else, and then back to Lara. He still looked like he was trying to piece everything together.

Suddenly, Lara felt a tap on her shoulder. She turned and saw her father, beaming with pride and his arms open. She got the message and gladly accepted the warm hug.

“Way to go, Princess!” cheered Kara from across the table. Lara looked over, and her and Donna were still clapping. Donna smiled at Lara with tears in her eyes.

Just then, Lara felt another hand on her shoulder, followed by a kind voice saying, “I’m so proud of you, Lara!”

Lara let go of Clark and turned to see Diana, who’s tender smile of delight was enough to make Lara throw her arms around the Princess of the Amazons.

Diana gratefully returned the hug before kneeling down so that she was at eye-level with Lara. “I should have known,” she smiled. “You’ve always had the spirit of a true Amazon, Lara. You are a brave, strong and beautiful young woman.”

Lara beamed at Diana, as tears of joy began to glisten in her eyes. “R-Really?” She gasped. “You really mean it?”

“Of course!” said Diana “We have trans women like you on Themyscira. They are all as incredible as any Amazon.” She paused, seemingly having an idea. “Perhaps, If you wanted to, I could invite you to come and visit Themyscira. I’m sure many Amazons would be honoured to meet the legendary Lara Kent - Daughter of Superman!”

It was all too much for Lara. This entire experience had given her so much euphoria, that she could no longer handle it. She embraced Diana tightly and began to cry tears of joy.


A short while later, Lara was sitting in the Watchtower’s botanical wing, alongside Diana, Donna and Kara. After Lara’s joyous outburst, Diana had suggested they go somewhere quiet where Lara wouldn’t feel so overwhelmed. Clark had initially accompanied them there, but had then headed back to the meeting room to talk with Batman. So now, it was just Lara and three of the world’s most famous superheroines, having a girl-to-girl talk in a beautiful garden in space.

The botanical wing was a very popular spot for heroes to come and relax or meditate, due to it’s quiet, peaceful atmosphere and the calming scent of exotic flowers. Sitting there with Kara, Donna and frickin’ Wonder Woman, Lara felt like a true princess! She recounted the story of the last couple of days to them, happy to feel that it was coming much easier every time.

She was about to reach the point of that day’s events when she suddenly felt overwhelmed with emotion as well as everybody’s warm smiles and happy faces. No one was judging or questioning her. Her family and her heroes saw her as a real girl! It was all too much! Before she knew it, her story was interrupted by more happy tears.

Diana put a comforting hand on the girl’s shoulder but did nothing to rush her through her emotions. It was all healthy and good for her.

After a moment, Donna broke the silence with a question to her girlfriend “Hey wait… If Lara is going to be Supergirl, what does that make you, Starshine?”

Kara gave a little laugh, “Well I was going to wait a little longer to tell you, but since you asked, I’m happily giving up the mantle to Lara. She will make good use of the name Supergirl, I am sure.” She winked at Lara as she said this, making the young girl blush and smile.

“When Lara has made her big debut, I’ll be reintroducing myself to the world as…” Kara paused for dramatic effect, “Power Girl.”

“Power Girl? I like it.” Diana nodded her approval, “But just out of curiosity, why not Superwoman?”

Kara shrugged. “Well… Yeah I did think of that at first, but I don’t want to always be joined at the hip with my cousin. Don’t get me wrong, Clark’s great and all, but I want to stand on my own. Have the world know me in my own right, as Power Girl!”

“I love it!” Donna said, kissing Kara on the cheek, “I guess that explains the new haircut and wanting to try a new costume. You wanted to reinvent yourself.”

“Yep!... and you’re sure you like the hair, right sweetie?” Kara put a hand to the back of her head, feeling how short it had been sheared off.

“Kara, for the one-hundredth time, of course I love it!” Donna brushed a stray hair out of her girlfriend’s face. “Besides, as long as it’s on you, I’d love your hair anyway you like it!”

“Aww, c’mere you!” laughed Kara. She put her arm around Donna’s waist and pulled her into a passionate kiss.

“Kara!” giggled Lara, averting her eyes from the PDA going on before her. “You two are worse than my mom and dad!”

After Kara and Donna had finished their little display of affection, Lara continued with the last of her story. As she spoke, Diana listened with a warm smile, while Kara braided Lara’s hair and Donna made her a flower crown. It was heaven.

Soon enough, Lara had two pretty little braids looping over her ears, along with a ring of orchids around her head.

“Wow! Having fun, sweetheart?” said a voice from the entrance.

Lara turned and saw her father standing by the gateway that led into the botanical wing. Batman stood beside him, his black suit in stark contrast to the colourful surroundings of the garden

“Hi Dad!” said Lara, cheerfully, as she flew over to meet him. “Do you like my hair?”

“You look beautiful, sweetie!” Clark smiled. “Lara, I’ve got some good news for you. Tell her, Bruce!”

Lara looked up at the Dark Knight, who then knelt down and removed his cowl so that Lara was now staring into the face of Bruce Wayne.

“Clark told me that you spoke with Dr. Victoria October today, about you starting your transition.” Bruce spoke, in a formal and straightforward manner, but it was sincere in it’s own way. “I thought you’d like to know that Wayne Enterprises will be funding Victoria’s research project. Anything she needs, staff, equipment, we’ll provide it.”

The little girl was stunned into silence before jumping up and hugging him tight “Thanks Uncle Bruce! Thank you so much! I can’t believe it! Everyone’s been so…” It was then, in her most recent surge of euphoria, Lara noticed that someone was missing. “Wait… Where’s Damian?”

Clark looked as if just realizing the child was gone but Bruce wasn’t surprised. “He said he’d be in the training room. Something about making a phone call to Colin...”

“Oh no… I’ll be right back everyone!” Lara didn’t want to leave this happy get-together, but she was suddenly quite worried about Damian. As she flew off and navigated the halls, she began to panic just a little. Damian was her best friend, but he was the only one that hadn’t said anything about her being a girl. She was beginning to worry that he might not accept her. Or worse…

She arrived at the training room and found the space littered with destroyed combat droids, each having been smashed, slashed or crushed. At the far side of the room, Damian sat on the large window sill, his back to the door.

Lara hesitated before entering. The combat droids were built to be destroyed, and could be easily repaired by the League’s many tech experts. But Damian only ever fought like this when he was frustrated at either something or someone.

Lara floated quietly above the wreckage and approached the young Robin. “Umm… Hey, Damian!” mumbled Lara, awkwardly.

Damian didn’t say anything, or even turn around. Although Lara noticed his eyes, reflected in the window, briefly darting in her direction before swiveling back down to avoid eye-contact.

“I’m sorry, Damian.” Lara sighed, sitting down next to him. “I know this is kind of a surprise to you. I actually wanted to tell you the other night. But things just got so confusing, I couldn’t…”

Even as Lara trailed off, Damian remained silent. Lara started to feel annoyed. Why was Damian acting so distant? He had been the one who had introduced her to the concept of wearing girl clothes. He even had a trans boyfriend, so it wasn’t like he was bigoted. Surely, he should’ve been as accepting as everybody else, right?

“I thought you’d understand!” Lara said, standing up. “The other night, you and Colin opened up my eyes and helped me to see that I’m a girl. Why are you being so weird about it now?! I’d hoped you’d support me!” She was starting to worry. She didn’t want to lose her best friend over this.

Damian shut his eyes tightly, as if he was trying to shut Lara out.

“Well, fine!” sniffed Lara, her voice shaking as more tears began to form, only these weren’t happy tears. “If you’re gonna be like that, I’ll leave you to thit up here and thulk!” Great. Now her lisp was acting up.

Then, just as the young Supergirl was about to turn and leave, Damian suddenly stood up, spun around and pulled Lara into a tight hug, catching her completely off-guard.

“Lara, You have nothing to apologise for!” said Damian (Lara could swear his voice was shaking.) “Of course, I support you completely! You’re my friend and I’m proud of you!”

Lara felt a sudden mixture of relief and confusion as Damian hugged her. She had never seen him act like this before. “Damian!” She laughed nervously. “What’s gotten into you?!”

Damian let go of Lara and rubbed his temples. “Forgive me.” he said. “I just have two major things bothering me right now…”

“What do you mean?” asked Lara.

“Well, firstly,” Damian sighed, “How did I not see this coming?!” He gestured to Lara. “There were so many signs! The ballet, your immediate kinship with Colin, the freaking tutu! Not to mention your insistence on using a new name.” He started pacing back and forth in annoyance. “I trust Colin already knows? It would explain why he was acting so smug and coy that night.”

“Damian!” said Lara, grabbing his shoulder, “It’s ok! You had no reason to know I was a girl. I only realised it myself that night!” She had to fight the urge to laugh, both at Damian’s dramatic behavior, and with relief at the news that her friend didn’t hate her.

“But I’m the son of Batman; the World’s Greatest Detective!” exclaimed Damian. “Surely I should’ve been able to…” He trailed off when he noticed Lara smirking. He heaved a reluctant sigh. “Okay, fine. Maybe I’m being a little dramatic…”

“Ya think?” laughed Lara, then she paused. “Wait. You said you had two things bothering you. What was the other one?”

“Well… I…” He paused as if trying to think how best to stay what was on his mind. He clenched his fists before finally blurting out “That outfit is TERRIBLE, Lara! The sweater is so baggy, and is that a Kmart skirt?! You are such a pretty girl! How can you stand wearing something so tacky!”

Lara wasn’t sure to burst out laughing or be furious with her friend, “Hey! Be nice! Kara bought this for me!”

Damian took a deep breath, calming himself down now that he had had a chance to vent, “I… I’m sorry Lara. It’s… Very nice. Especially for a first attempt… But I am definitely taking you clothes shopping as soon as possible.”

“Wait, what?” muttered Lara.

“No, no! I insist!” said Damian, proudly. “As your best friend, and as a fashion icon, I simply cannot allow the daughter of Superman to wear such mediocre apparel. It’s no trouble for me. Baba can get us discounts at Gotham’s finest high-end fashion stores, and my Mama knows some incredible dressmakers who would be happy to…”

Damian’s speech was suddenly interrupted by Lara flying straight into him and spinning him around in an ecstatic hug.

“THANK YOU, DAMIAN!!!” Squealed Lara. “Oh my god! You’re the best! Thanks!”

“Lara...! Choking…!” croaked Damian.

“Oh, right!” said Lara, sheepishly, as she let go of Damian. “Sorry. I’m just really excited about all the new stuff I’m gonna get to try. Shopping for dresses and makeup! It’s gonna be great!”

Damian smirked at her. “I look forward to it, Lara. Maybe we could also continue your ballet lessons? Now that I see you’ve discovered your flying abilities, that could give you an advantage as a ballerina.”

Lara grinned, excitedly. “That would be amazing! C’mon! We can ask my dad and your dad about me coming over this weekend!”

Lara giggled happily, as she flew off down the corridor, with her best friend, Damian, running alongside her.


About 10 minutes later, Lara was back in the botanical wing with her father, along with Diana, Donna and Kara. Damian and his father had headed back to Gotham a few minutes ago, but not before Bruce and Clark had agreed to let Lara come and stay for the following weekend, so that she could spend some time with Damian and Colin.

After Batman and Robin had left, Diana had repeated her offer to let Lara come and visit Themyscira. Much to Lara’s delight, Clark thought it sounded like a great idea, and promised that they would talk to Lois about it. After all, spring break was only a few weeks away.

Kara and Donna headed back to the Holo-Sim room, so that Kara could try out some new looks for her Power Girl costume, leaving Lara and Clark to say their goodbyes to Diana.

Right as they were about to head back to Metropolis, Lara suddenly remembered the entire reason she had come to the Watchtower in the first place. “Oh, wait a minute!” she said, suddenly. “Diana, could I borrow your lasso for a minute?”

Diana smiled. “Of course, dear! Your father already explained the situation to me while you were talking to Robin. I would be honoured to help you.”

Diana held up the Lasso of Truth, which she kept hooked onto her belt. “First, I just want to confirm that you’re comfortable with doing this, Lara. Is this something you want to do?”

Lara nodded. “Yes!” she said, with all the confidence that she could muster. “I’m ready!”

Diana smiled, and unraveled her golden lasso as it began to glow. “Hold out your hand, Lara” she said. “Don’t worry. The Lasso of Truth is painless to those who are honest.”

Lara held the end of the lasso in her hand and felt a strange sensation wash over her. The lasso felt incredibly warm, as if it had been sitting in the sunlight for hours, and it made Lara feel… relaxed?

It was hard to describe how she felt when she held the lasso, but it made her feel like she could tell Diana anything she wanted. As if Diana could be trusted with all her secrets.

“Lara? How do you feel?” said Diana, who knelt before her, still holding the other end of the lasso.

“I… I feel calm. Safe.” Lara said with a gentle smile on her face.

“Alright then.” Diana nodded and turned to face Clark, “You said we need to record this for Dr. October, correct? Do you want to film this?”

“Sure thing, Diana.” Clark took out his phone and began recording.

“Very well then,” said Diana, “The Lasso compels you to tell the truth. We’ll start with some basic questions. Who are you?”

Lara spoke automatically without even noticing. “My name is Lara Ella Kent. I am the new Supergirl. My dad is Clark Kent, or sometimes Superman, and my mom is Lois Lane, and I am their daughter!”

Whoa! She had said all of that with no hesitation and with such confidence. It was as if the lasso had purged all of the uncertainty and dishonesty from her body. It didn’t just stop her from lying to other people. It stopped her from lying to herself!

“Wonderful!” said Diana. “Do you want to expand on that last part?”

“Yes!” said Lara, who was thrilled at how amazing it felt to be so incredibly honest with herself. “For a long time, I thought I was a boy but it never felt right. Even when I started to get my powers, I still felt weird. But then I met a boy named Colin and he told me that people used to think he was a girl, but he knew that he was a boy!” Lara paused briefly to catch her breath, before continuing with her speech. “Anyway, Colin said he was trans, and that helped me realise that I’m trans too. I now know, deep down inside of me, I’m a girl and it feels amazing! I also wanna become the new Supergirl right now! I wanna be a real superheroine, so I can let everyone know I’m a trans girl and that I’m proud!”

Lara let go of the lasso as her hands covered her mouth.She blushed as she realised that, maybe, things had gone a little out of control.

Lara had always been somewhat excited for the day when she would enter the family business of superhero work. But there had always been something holding her back, which she had since realised was her dysphoric fear of becoming Superboy, instead of Supergirl. Now that she knew who she was, and had been accepted by her family and friends, those fears no longer held her back. Plus, now that she could fly, and had pretty good control over her super strength, she felt ready to take up the Supergirl mantle. The lasso had helped her to see this.

Lara looked up to see Diana and Clark beaming with pride. Clark knelt down to his daughter’s level, “I’m so proud of you Lara.” He said, calmly. “But are you sure you’re ready to become Supergirl? It would be a big step coming out to the world so soon after all of us.”

Lara’s mind was racing. It was as if the lasso had kicked her brain into high-gear, and she was now formulating plans for how she was going to come out as Supergirl.

“I’m ready…” she said, “...to become Supergirl. But I’m gonna wait a while before I come out normally. As Lara, I mean. At school and stuff.”

“Well, Lara,” said Diana, proudly. “I, for one, would welcome your sisterhood in the fight against injustice. If your parents approve, then I would be happy to guide you on your path to becoming a hero.”

Lara felt so happy that she began to hover a few inches off the ground. She gazed up at her father. “Please, daddy!” She said, giving Clark her best puppy-dog-eyes. “Damian gets to be Robin with his dad, and they don’t even have powers. Can I at least be like... a hero-in-training?”

Clark paused for a moment, before kneeling down and taking Lara’s hands in his. “Oh, how could I possibly say no to a face like that?” He smiled at his daughter's overjoyed expression. “Alright sweetie! We’ll give it a few days to get everything ready. Then we can arrange a press conference.”

Clark’s face lit up even more as a sudden thought occurred to him. “Say! That should actually work out pretty well! Kara’s probably going to want to announce her new role as Power Girl soon. I’m sure we can arrange something for the two of you.”

“Hestia bless you both!” Diana cheered. “The world will be happy to know, there’s a new Supergirl in town!”

Lara was practically vibrating with happiness. She was going to finally get to be a hero! And not just any hero... She was going to be fighting alongside her dad, as the one and only Supergirl!

Could life get any better than this?

22