Chapter 8|Cover Blown
26 1 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I sat in class twiddling my thumbs. That girl… Acting all cheeky after I saved her. A day ago she was screaming for help and was crying. I come to school and see her, then whispers to me like that. I got a little red thinking about it, but I had to think about what I should do next.

 

“Hey, Shinjeo! Are you listening? How does the water cycle work?”

 

My chemistry caught on to me staring in space, so now I had to do some quick explaining. I stood up and began to explain

“In the hydrologic cycle, water from oceans, lakes, swamps, rivers, plants, and even you, can turn into water vapor. Water vapor condenses into millions of tiny droplets that form clouds. Clouds lose their water as rain or snow, which is called precipitation.”

 

“Oh uh, excellent explanation Shinjeo, I will get back to the lesson.”

 

I was lucky that I could recall information like this. I’d experienced these days before, so my memory from those times fills in the blanks. I sat back down as everyone stared at me. It seems I did a little too much? It was just an explanation, maybe too much for a high-schooler my age.

 

“That scholar Shinjeo, doesn’t he seem a bit different than usual?”

 

“I dunno really, He’s good at sports and scored high on midterms.”

 

“I think he’s kinda cool, actually.”

 

I heard several voices in the room. I gotta keep a low profile, I’m well-known. I do know that, but I can’t suddenly change my actions or people will think differently.

 

“Hey Shin. How’d you know that stuff?”

 

“I just study ya know, I’ve always gotten into the top 10s.”

 

“Damn dude, you’re really school heavy as always.”

 

Also whispered to me in a quiet voice, that chemistry teacher of ours, Ms. Shitori wasn’t one to mess with. She was better than fur-face but still strict and we could get in massive trouble for certain things she didn’t like seeing. Anyway, I had to get through the school day and meet with that girl.

 

“Mmm, It’s all down to what I say.”

 

“You say something, Shin?”

 

“I’m just mumbling Aldo.”

 

The next period went about the same and now it was time for lunch yet again. I brought out fish and tomatoes this time with rice. I gave some to Aldo this time since he was really sick of sandwiches and gave half of his to me.

 

“Hey, you’re being really generous this time around.”

 

“Meh, I’m just not hungry, go ahead and eat.”

 

Lunch ended just like that and with three periods to go. I just wish I could come up with a damn plan for this girl.

 

“Oi, Shin! Class just ended, let's go.”

 

“Nah, go on ahead without me. I got something to take care of.”

 

I was stuck thinking for hours and I turned up with nothing. Damn, I’ll just play along and I’ll figure something out. I got up and moved quickly toward the back yard, and just like she said she would. She was at the tree.

 

“Hey! Over here!”

 

She was smiling and stuff. I guess she was happy I came? Doesn’t matter, I’ll just see what she wants.

 

“Uh, wassup, you asked me to come here?”

 

“Pretty much yeah, I’ve got a couple questions for you.”

 

She looked at me with a conniving look on her face. I felt like something felt off. Just a day ago she was all screaming about the monster, What the hell happened?

 

“First of all, I can tell you have special abilities.”

 

“Uh, nope, no special abilities here!”

 

“Second of all, I sensed someone using energy near me.

 

“I’m pretty sure that wasn’t me, I’m just a normal boy!”

 

“Third of all, you’re a Schwalbe aren't you?

 

“What’s a Shuwarubeh? I don’t know what that is!”

 

This girl, I knew something was fishy, that Dark Bear wasn’t normal. It was like something lured it to that alley. She’s probably here to find people like me. Damn, I should have never used my abilities. It was wrong of me to assume there weren’t others who “awakened” early.

 

‘Skill Activated near you, beginning barrier formation sequence’

 

“I guess it’s time, I test you. You were able to best that D+ Class Dark Bear. Now fight a live human.”

 

“God, I knew it was gonna be some bullshit like this.”

 

‘Lightning Transformation | First Form’

 

“The barrier is almost complete. Just give it a second and we can begin.”

 

‘Enemy activated ??? Transformation Skill’

 

The barrier was completed. We could fight with no effect on the real world. Back in the future, duels were fought in the “Barrier World.” A separate dimension that would be generated in each battle.

 

“Shiranui Arts | Ravage Blast”

 

Gunfire rained from her hands. It seemed she was a gunner-type similar to me. She had duel-pistols, the rapid-fire type. I had the worst luck, she had a fire element and she was a ranged type. It was the worst for me, an all-rounder with the Lightning Element.

 

“Don’t run! You can’t avoid these bullets of mine! Shinjeo Curato!”

 

She probably did her research. I never told her my name, she was with an organization. Maybe trackers of those like me, probably those who hadn’t properly “awakened.”

 

‘Ultimate Concentration | Ride The Lightning’

 

I seemed to teleport out of the bullets and came behind her. I called my weapons.

 

“Xcell Arc | Rashomon no Oroboros!”

 

My revolver and katana popped into my hands and I attempted a slash on her.

 

“Haha too slow! Take this!”

 

She jumped out of the way to reveal the same raining bullets redirected towards me.

 

‘Gunblade Arts | Break Reversal’

 

I activated a skill I received the other night while checking my System Inbox. It seemed that it could help me defend myself. I could deflect the bullets with my blade which was coated in Ether Energy. I slapped the bullets back with a slash and they exploded on the ground.

 

“Hm, a defensive skill, two different weapons? And you’re skilled enough to match up against me?”

 

“Sure, Of course, I can fight you. I’ve had enough practice for years.”

 

Of course, that was a bit of a lie. It was a half-lie really since I'd spent 10 years with my weapons in the future.

 

“Is that so? It seemed that you still have some tricks up your sleeve.”

 

‘Lightning Bond | Full Bloom’

 

I shot three shots in rapid succession, but alas she was skilled enough to evade similarly to me. Just my luck again, always countering me.

 

‘Enemy Activating Skill’

 

I prepared to watch her attack, but this time her weapons changed. A dual type. Not one you see much especially in the future. She swapped her Xcell Arcs into a large longsword. Damn it, I can barely fight her well enough.

 

“This sword is more my style, I tried to test you with my long-range kit, it seems you’re skilled in fighting ranged types.”

 

‘Gunblade Arts | Blast and Slash’

 

I shot my full round which she almost perfectly defended again, but two of my bullets hit her legs. She had some layering, but my bullets pierced her Ether Armor.

 

“Damn it, I assumed you didn’t have modifiers on your bullets, as well as exploding shots.”

 

“That miscalculation will be your loss!”

 

I slashed at her and we clashed with our blades. She probably took an ether pill while talking. I should’ve been faster. However, in close combat, I had an advantage.

 

‘Multiskill | Lightning Bond | Quicksilver Accel, Chaos Arts | Bear Hunt’

 

I could reload and slash quicker because of Quicksilver Accel, but it was only for a minute that I could rush like this. Bear Hunt enhanced my physical strength so I could jump and slash harder as well. This was going to be my win.

 

“I can’t lose to you! I’ve been working too hard for this!”

 

“You just faced the wrong opponent.”

 

‘Lightning Bond | Charged Slash’

 

Ether Energy swelled from my hand into my blade. The girl was struggling too hard. She’s flustered, I can win.

 

“I was too laid-back! Take this!”

 

“Fight!”

 

‘Enemy Activating Skill’

 

Too slow. This foolish girl! Taste my blade!

 

“Shinjeo Original | Lightning Suppression.”

 

A flash of light came quickly. The fight was over. The result? I was standing with my blade towards her neck. Her longsword was too far for her to reach.

 

“What the hell did you do to me!?”

 

“Something I call a Shinjeo Style Finish, it’s a skill I can only use when I fight seriously.”

 

She was stunned and paralyzed for the next couple of minutes. The only part of her body that could move was her head. I’d activated a skill that overloaded my opponent’s body with Ether Energy, allowing me to win without killing.

 

“I can’t move my body! Stop this!”

 

“Oi, tell me what organization you’re from and your name dummy. I’m not just gonna undo the skill.”

 

Finally, this was truly a hard-fought win. I’m happy I was able to defeat her one-on-one. Now, let’s get some information out of her.

 

 

Haha! Our Shiny wins again! Let’s see who this girl is in the next chapter. Umu umu!

 

2