Chapter 13|New Beginnings
16 1 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After finishing all my business with Quinton, we both got up to address the crowd outside. It seemed everyone looked quite interested in me. Maybe my appearance wasn’t one that happened often? Quinton opened the door first and I heard several whispers.

 

“The director himself walked him through the school?”

 

“He definitely must be a strong one for the director himself to come out.”

 

“That kid. I’ll prove that I’m better than him to the director.”

“Alright quiet down students, I have someone to introduce to you all”

 

Quinton grinned at the enthusiasm of the students. He seemed to be intrigued by all their curiosity. I thought to myself about this for a minute, was my appearance really that rare? Whatever it was, I’d have to work hard the next six months. The monsters that appeared during the “awakening” were many times stronger than I was. To hold a chance against them, I’d have to prepare my body and skills for that time.

 

“This new classmate of yours is Shinjeo Curato, he will be joining A-Class with the second years.”

 

“A Class, right off the bat? Crap, this guy might be even worse than the Demon of B-Class.”

 

“That guy is nothing compared to all the kids in A-Class.”

 

“It seems that someone truly special has been brought in by the director.”

 

They all marveled at my recommendation by Quinton. I would have to meet their expectations. A-Class must be the highest class that a student could achieve, I wasn’t really liking all this pressure, but I was going to have to deal with it as I grew stronger. Ranking was a huge part of the world after the “awakening.” 

 

“Hey Shinjeo, you never said you were that strong of a Schwalbe.”

 

“I didn’t really know it myself.”

 

Haru looked at me with shining eyes, he probably was excited to meet someone who was strong. He looked to be the one who enjoyed fighting those stronger than him. The type who wanted to overcome the odds on his own.

 

“Anyway, I think I should be going soon, my family would be worried.”

“Ah don’t worry, time here is slowed down a bit when we bring in guests, we only do this when they have other places to be, it should be about 6:30 when we send you back.”

 

Quinton even provided a time displacement item to use on the facility for guests. The ESSE was really pushing for those they wanted to join. There was a period of time in the future where recruiting was all the rise and many organizations fought for the best rankers. I knew that of those organizations, the ESSE cultivated many rankers who had reached the top. I myself saw many who fought to the top, even though I was just a simple mercenary.

 

There were many different people who worked after being “awakened.” Some went to schools to be trained, like I was. Although the schools were only established after the “awakening” was over.  Of course there were still normal people, some soldiers fought even though they never “awakened.” People were lucky to be awakened no matter their abilities. It was a big advantage to awaken. Many paths opened up for all types of people. Although, some like me, have a head start on working on their abilities. The reason why there were already many strong people, was because they were trained before the “awakening.”

 

“Pipe down everyone, I will be escorting Shinjeo home.”

 

“Man already… I wanted to see how he fights.”

 

“You can spar against Shinjeo another day, he needs to be getting home.”

 

Haru looked pumped to fight me soon. Whoever you were, there was always a drive to fight against someone stronger. It was exhilarating to fight someone who could match up, or even be stronger than you were.

 

“Let’s go Shinjeo, I assume that you worry for your family.”

 

“Yeah, I’m a bit tired, it’s been a very long day.”

 

“Private Hiiragi. Private Okami. Please come to Training Area D-4 in three days.”

 

“Why exactly Director?”

 

“There will be some business I would like to discuss with the two of you.”

 

Hiiragi and Haru both looked at each other with confused eyes. They didn’t seem to be in trouble, but whatever Quinton said was important. It was something they had to do, but they were curious as to what business the director had with them.

 

“Shinjeo, the paperwork to transfer you out should be done in about a day's time. I will come by to explain the situation to your family. It should be efficient so they will not worry for your safety.”

“Okay. That’s quicker than I thought it would be. Most transfers to other schools take about a week or two.”

 

“We like to make things quick and easy for our students here, we do have to prepare them for the coming storm.”

 

It seemed that organizations knew that the “awakening” was coming. Usually Monsters from legends came from the System. The stories of humanity are what fueled the existence of the system as what the researchers told me back in the future. It had already existed before the “awakening” in different forms. Magic was a concept that existed in many civilizations and was practiced until each form died out. That leads us to the present day, a world of technology, how would the concept of magic be integrated by the system? A game. It was simple, skills, stats, items were all things that were generated through the system. All things were integrated through the system.

 

“They called it the will of humanity.”

 

“Did you say something Shinjeo?”

 

Quinton was walking with me to another area to bring me home. My life was going to change drastically, but I was sure it was for the better. The world I saw in the future was one I desperately wanted to change. I couldn’t say if the world I lived in before the “awakening” was any better than the one in the future. It was just that I wanted to protect those I loved.

 

“Here we are, this is our vehicle area, We have an exit here to the outside world.”

 

“A lot of nice cars you’ve got here”

 

There were a lot of cars that were expensive, some looked special with Ether Energy faintly emitting. I did remember a variety of cars used by organizations to traverse distances. Counter measures had to be made for the “awakened” who attacked. Ether-proof cars existed, although expensive. It was a luxury to have any vehicle usable after the “awakening.”

 

1