1:1 – Combat Trials (Part 1)
70 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

You have just been released by Chen into the wide world with one goal. To find the weapons. That’s all you’ve been asked and have been given a map along with the clues as to where the missing weapons are located. 

The wind hits your face and your nostrils fill with fresh sea air as you are forced out of the Kagoshima gates. You’ve been left with enough rations to last you all a week and are on the road to Matsue. 

A long road lies ahead of you. Let’s hope you all survive it.

As far as roads go the way to Matsue is fairly decent. It’s easy to walk on and pretty flat. You can make good ground on this road as look out to the sea on your left. You’ve walked for about an hour and an awkward silence has hung the whole time.

Hyacinth - "Did you know, that you can't smell the sea in high spire?"

Yuki- "oh?"

Mai is currently walking at the back of the group very much out of her comfort zone hoping to be left out for now. While Reaver was in her military mindset, eyeing every shadow and potential movement with practiced paranoia. It was better to expect an ambush and not recieve one, then vice versa. Naturally she'd taken a spot at the front of the group as a pseudo vanguard, right where she belonged.

The silence was being laid on thick as the only noise to be heard was the violent waves below or the wind hitting every face of the party with a cold sting.

Yuki is currently rubbing her hands together in a futile attempt to gain some semblance of warmth as Hyacinth's tail weaves around her legs while she walks, forcing her kimono to flutter around her. Her gait is just short of flouncing as she makes illusionary flowers bloom briefly in Reaver's foot steps.

Hyacinth - "Yes they filter the air you see, wouldn't want a bad outside smell to ruffle someone's feathers. It really makes it quite dull I think."

Reaver only barely noticed the illusionary flowers, part of her going into a panicked response nearly drawing her blade before realizing what was happening. She'd thankfully been silent about her near panic attack as she looked back at the spellcaster through her mask. 

Reaver neutrally - "I can't say I've encountered a mage before.... what is High Spire like overall?..."

Hyacinth - "It's very... full of expectation."

Another hour or so passed after the attempts to break the silence until the first sign of civilisation was seen again. It took form in a convoy of about 4 wagons filled to the brim with things soldiers would need to survive: food, weapons and armour. It was flanked by about 3 guards each as they moved past and nodded their heads in the party’s direction. Their eyes lingered on the armada deserters as they moved on a little quicker than before and not removing an eye off any of them. 

Hyacinth gives a bright smile to the soldiers as they pass along with a small wave. A couple soldiers reciprocate this gesture and visibly lose tension as the teifling’s gestures calm them down. This is quickly countered as Reaver stares daggers at the soldiers leading the convoy and hands move to swords as a worry sets among them. 

Yuki is the next one to wave as a female soldier picks up on her shyness and counters with a massive grin and wave causing that shy side to be lost to a giggling wave with a lot more confidence. 

Mai not being completely tuned to social situations draws her bow and aims it at the nearest soldier. 

Mai - “give us some food”

Hyacinth - "Oh dear"

Yuki - “Maaaai”

Hyacinth - "Why don't you put that down before someone gets hurt Mai“

“Woah lady. This is for Kagoshima... we can’t just hand you our food...” one of the soldiers stutters looking at the bow drawn at his head

Hyacinth - "I have some berries if you're hungry dear."

Mai glares at the guard before reluctantly lowering her weapon and answering “but that’s your food”

Hyacinth - “And I have plenty to share”

“Thanks miss” he nods at Hyacinth before getting everything moving a lot faster than before due to the very heated aggression their envoy has gotten form two of the party

Reaver sighs looking at Mai as she accepts the berries from Hyacinth before thinking ‘this is probably why the rebellion had their backs against the wall for so many years, such lack of discipline’ 

As she digs out a handful of nuts and berries Hyacinth adds "You'll need to be more careful dear, it's not good to let yourself get so hungry that you get emotional."

Mai - "I'm not emotional” she sulks to the back of the group before muttering "Only looking out for myself"

Hyacinth slips one of the berries between her lips as she hands another small handful to Reaver with a berry tinted smile. Reaver curiously looks at them as she cautiously takes and looks them over. "You're.... unusually kind.." She said in a soft voice.

Reaver - “That's not the best trait to have out in the field." She glanced back at the group deciding to take stock in her new unit. “Have any of you been in combat before? Not counting wild animals, only people."

Hyacinth - "I think your lot calls it unit  cohesion, and I can most certainly take care of myself."

Mai doesn’t answer but instead turns away to be left out Hyacinth however is a lot more somber after the change in topic, Reaver glanced at the mage and a small grin was hidden beneath her mask ‘so this one did have some fire in her’

Reaver - "Fair enough, I'll be interested to see how things play out on the battlefield. It'll be interesting to see magic up close." 

Reaver noted no one else bothered to respond, she only hoped when the time came they had the stomach for what had to be done; she wouldn't tolerate cowards. She wasn’t expecting Yuki to answer next 

Yuki - "I have, once, I lost a dear friend that day"

Reaver - "Noted" Her response was curt, but not directly aggressive or rude. At least someone here knew the realities of what they would face.

Hyacinth - "I'm not as familiar with the mainland yet. What are we expecting when we arrive at Matsue?"

Aki curtly recounts how Matsue is a sort of traditional village. It’s mainly centred around training new warriors for the rebellion and that a large dojo is the centre piece of the village as a small market and inns for travellers are the only other defining features

Hyacinth - "Oooh, a traditional village, and real rebel fighters?" She perks up at these ideas as a slow walk slowly morphs into a sort of skip as patterns follow behind her

Aki adds about how they are barely recruits and have to pass a tournament that should be open by the time the party arrives. She also says of how the traditionalism is quickly lost as the houses are taken up by soldier trainees, tradesmen and farmers. It seems as though the traditionalism is merely a front for how the village actually is. 

Arriving in Matsue they are greeted to a wall of smells as many familiar and unfamiliar things surround them. The roads are straight and very linear. In the centre is the dojo mentioned.

It’s a tall red building (3/4 stories high) with white trims and sliding doors adorning the sides. It slowly tapers in after each story to come into a spire on the final. 

The market that was mentioned is about 10 stalls lined up either side of the street each selling different oddities and items. Finally on the left is about 3 inns from what you can see and a small port barely able to fit 5 medium boats in. 

The streets are busy and filled with around 300 people (the population of this town more or less) mulling around and going about their day. A few spot the new additions to their numbers be it temporary or not, none the less they smile at you and carry on as if ex armada soldiers aren’t right there. 

Hyacinth looks around at everything, eyes wide with wonder and she trails behind Reaver, her tail thrashes behind her in excitement. Reaver however was seriously wondering if she'd been given a child to oversee on their adventure.... a tall magic wielding child with a tail. She'd never admit it but it was almost adorable to see a grown women act this way. Mai is taking this a different way as the scene is very vaguely familiar to her, and it brings back old memories. She looks about with what almost seems to be childlike curiosity.

From around the corner you hear an old lady shout “SIGN UPS FOR THE TOURNAMENT. PRIZE IS AN AUDIENCE WITH MASTER KOGHA!” Her voice is old and scratchy as she patrols the streets waving her sheet around moving between different groups and collecting signatures before she turns to you people. 

Hyacinth - "Oooh, you should do it Reaver! I bet they do sword stuff. You're amazing with that sword."

Reaver - "My thoughts exactly" She spoke a bit darkly as she was already grinning and while not running, definitely speed walking towards the announcement. 

The woman looked up at Reaver slightly worried but still offered her the signature sheet for her to sign up. She wasted no time in putting her signature down before looking back to the party and asking.

Reaver - “anyone else wish to sign up?”

Yuki - “I guess I’ll join? Not much for me to be doing otherwise” she sighs putting her own signature down

Hyacinth - "I've never been terribly skilled with pointy things, but I know you'll be amazing."

As Mai descends to the markets, the old lady begins to eye up Hyacinth before quickly moving to her and lowing her voice to a barely a whisper pulling her down to the lady’s level “I can tell your magic and it’s allowed if you want to” releasing Hyacinth from her grip so she can stand up.

Hyacinth waves her hand and her signature appears on the page. She eyes the lady blatantly before turning away with a wink. She chuckles to herself before moving away to collect other signatures. In each of your pockets you feel a new object. It feels like a sheet of paper and taking it out you can see it reads ‘you have today as you please and tomorrow you will be competing. There are 4 groups. Winner from each will face each other before the true winner will be in audience with Master Kogha’

Hyacinth - “How very exciting!” She grins as her eyes are glued to the note "I'll be right back." Hyacinth adds before she moves to speak with whoever looks the strongest out of the competition.

The strongest is a lizard folk who has abandoned the shirt of the uniform and is standing in an alley entrance practising on a dummy he’s constructed out of sacks of grain. He stands slightly taller all of you at around 6’ 9 and makes up for every inch with enough muscle to tackle a bull. He has a deep red tone of skin and hands that are covered in metal plates as a sort of improvised gauntlet

Hyacinth's demeanor changes as she approaches the hulking lizard man, quickly shifting from happy and bubbly to a languid seduction. She attempts to convince him to meet her tonight in private and isn't subtle about it. Yuki’s jaw is hanging low as she witnesses the seduction taking place. He smugly accepts as he gets back to training with a new found enthusiasm as sweat drips from his head. Reaver is surprised, and while she doesn't take it at face value due to the extreme shift in personality.... she feels something else? Upset? No that doesn't make any sense.....either way she shrugs it off and tries to form a mental portfolio on her competition.

Reaver - "Sizing up your opponent?... or 'Sizing up' your opponent? Should I ask?" For some unknown reason, she decides to confront her teammate out of a strange sense of curiosity.. Always the blunt one she doesn't bother with tact.

Hyacinth - "Just taking care of myself, and possibly my team dear." Hyacinth tilts her head, taking Reaver in with her trio of swirling scarlet eyes.

Out of the corner of her eye Reaver can spot the lizard folk eyeing up Hyacinth and very clearly checking her out without much subtlety. However he quickly moved away and further into the alley leaving his dummy behind. She took note of that, her paranoia now making up a dozen more scenarios of what could/would inevitably go wrong. But for now it'd do her no good "I see, far be it from me to question it then." shrugged.

Mai is now surrounded by new sensations while she explores the market, she feels the heat coming from food stalls full of curry’s and stir fry and the sweet smells of different sweets and chocolates. There is also a flower stall filling up what little scent is left in the market with floral essences and brightening up the overall scene.

Mai - "These are some... pretty flowers" Mai is drawn to the flowers as they remind her of the forest she once called home. She stutters slightly as she asks the man at the desk about them.

Hyacinth - "They suit you Mai."

??? - “I should hope they’re pretty I’ve grown them myself” The man that owns the stall smiles as she approaches and starts shuffling his wares round a little before she arrives. He leans on the edge of the counter as he smiles, he laughs ignoring her shyness. He looks to Hyacinth next to Mai and smiles a bit standing up, “Names bow” he smiles a bit wider offering his hand to Hyacinth and Mai

Hyacinth - "I don't suppose I could trade you a magic trick for a flower?" She shakes his hand, smiling brightly as she talks "You do lovely work Bow."

Bow - “I wouldn’t mind seeing a trick to be fair. Tell you what, you impress me with your trick I’ll show you why I’m called bow and throw in some flowers on the house” he gestures to his stock “any you want” he adds before taking a golden long bow out from behind the counter

Mai - "I- I like this one"  she picks up a single flower, purple petals with streaks of red

Bow - “Take a bunch they smell better together” He grabs a few more and hands them to Mai winking at her, he turns his attention back to Hyacinth

Mai - "Oh.. thank you"

Hyacinth uses Thaumaturgy to make a trio of brilliant lights dance around bow and with a flourish of her hand reaches behind Mai's head. “I found something behind your ear!" as a mage hand passes one of the same flowers Mai liked from behind Mai. "A beautiful flower for a beautiful woman." Hyacinth tucks the bloom behind Mai's ear.

Mai - "Wha- What?!" Mai frantically twists her head “Where did-?"

Bow - “Ok that’s impressive. Take the flowers” he laughs drawing his bow and pointing to the sky “my turn” letting it fly a small firework show erupts overhead as the crowd turns to watch “and also you two are cute together” he winks before turning his back to sort out his bow “either of you competing in the tournament tomorrow?”

Hyacinth - "I'll be there" With another flourish the dancing lights zoom away from bow and disappear into Hyacinth's sleeve.

Mai - “No” Thoroughly confused and somewhat overwhelmed, she steps back

Bow- “I may be. Hope to see you there if I do. May the best trickster win” he winks before going to move back away

Reaver was totally enthralled by the casual display of magic, it was as wondrous as she'd been told! It took her a moment to snap out of it and return to the conversation....was Hya always like this? There's no way she didn't realize how flirty she could be....wait why did reaver care!? Eventually she did step forward though. "I'm also competing. Nice trick with the arrow by the way." For some reason she didn't like the implication between the tiefling and their more subdued companion...

Bow - “Thanks. Took me weeks to get past the arrow exploding in my face” he laughs presenting another arrow of the sorts. It’s a basic wooden shaft with a gold end the same as his bow and looks very clunky and big but is still rounded off “I hope we’ll get to see who’s the better combatant then” he seems a little more formal with Reaver like he can see through her and knows what’s going on in her head but doesn’t say anything, he just winks again

Reaver - “We’ll see I suppose...” She wondered if everyone in the Rebellion was like this? Then again she'd expect them to think the same of life in the Armada. Realizing how that their travels will definitely take them north, she stops herself. "I assume you've been here for a while.... do you know of any stores here that would sell Incense?"

Bow - “Errr check Perf over there. She’s a bit of a ‘mind body and soul’ person” he says using air quotes for the quoted bit “she’ll most likely have something I bet”

Reaver - "Thank you" She nods quietly  heading towards this so called 'perf' with Hyacinth and Yuki following close behind

Perf(uma) - “Oooooo wait!” She shouted at Reaver before moving out from behind her stall to start moving her hands around Reaver “you have a very negative aura... I don’t like it...” she says with a frown

Reaver - "I can't say i'm knowledgeable about auras, apologies if it bothers you. All I need is some incense and I'll be out of your hair." She tilts her head in curiosity. 

Fuma huffs before moving back to her stall and presenting a tray full of incense “choose quickly before you ruin my aura and the vibe of the stall...”

Reaver - "They'll like these.." Ignoring the obvious displeasure she overlooks the selection and picks a couple sticks made from sandalwood. She absentmindedly mutters to herself before turning to the shopkeeper. "This is all I need, how much do i owe you?"

Fuma - “You owe me 4 copper please” she says a bit more happy than when Reaver walked over

Reaver nods and searches her pouch. "Are you able to break a gold coin? Unfortunately It's all I have."

Fuma - “Auuugghhhh fiiinnee” she takes the coin and hands you back the appropriate change before starting to shoo you off

Reaver - "May your ancestors watch over you." Despite the rudeness and obvious disdain for her, the shopkeeper did provide her a service that meant more to her than she knew. With that she went off to explore the town with the rest of the group in tow








Condense the 4 hour campaign sessions into around 2 hour sections?
  • Yes (two parts per chapter) Votes: 1 100.0%
  • No (one big chapter weekly Votes: 0 0.0%
Total voters: 1
2