Chapter 3: Meet the Parents
1.4k 3 66
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

(Content Warning: Contains misgendering)


At least it was Dad’s night to cook. Karen never did anything interesting and she dictated what Ella would be making on her nights, but Jerry actually enjoyed himself in the kitchen. Ella often thought that Karen made them take turns cooking just so Jerry couldn’t do it every day.

They sat about the living room in a tense silence as they waited to be called to the table. “So…” Karen finally spoke. As much as she didn’t approve of Ella’s “lifestyle” and anyone supportive of it, she still was hosting someone with a lot of money to throw around. “Where did you say you were from miss… I don’t think you said your last name.”

“Murphy. Jana Murphy. But please just call me Jana Mrs. Grant.” She grabbed a handful of nuts from a small bowl on the living room table and munched them casually. Ella was left trying to hide her surprise Jana had learned her last name without asking. 

“I see. And you said you were from Ireland miss Murphy? What are you studying that you decided to come all the way out here?”

Jana smiled, not seeming to mind her request to use her first name had been ignored. “Yes Mrs. Grant. Born and raised just outside of Dublin. I’m a world history major looking to travel all over. Mostly England and America so far. I’m fascinated with countries and regions the Norse raiders had settled in. In fact I’m trying to do my final paper on their settlement of Vineland.”

“I…. see…” It was clear Karen didn’t approve of young girls in that sort of work and she was trying not to say it. Ella had dealt with that attitude for years; any job other than something that made good money was a waste of time. They’d only helped pay for Ella’s education because she had taken a business minor along with her arts degree.

“Ella told me that you and your husband work in finances?” Jana figured she might as well discuss something Karen actually liked to talk about.

“That’s right.” She said, still with a little ice in her voice hearing her child called her chosen name, “I'm in charge of investment portfolios for our clients and my husband works in guest relations.” That was the family line for Jerry. Guest relations sounded so much nicer and more impressive to visitors than just telling the truth that he was just a bank teller at the front counter. 

“That must be difficult work. I don’t think I could ever do something like that. But after all the world takes all sorts to work doesn’t it?” Jana’s warm smile had just enough insolence in it for Ella to be split between wanting to laugh, and worrying her mom would throw out her new friend. She did her best to change the subject. 

“I… I got a call from David the other day. He said he might be coming to visit before the week is over if he can get off work.”

“Oh your brother?” Jana asked, happy to take her attention off of Karen. “What did you say that he did again Ella?”

Karen cut in to regain control of the room, “He is the chief IT officer for a new start up company in Canada. Pay’s not the best for someone with his education, but he says that there is a big opportunity for growth and promotion… Unlike certain career paths…” She let that comment and her intention hang in the air and chill the entire room.

Luckily, Jerry called from the dining room that dinner was ready to break the tension for at least a moment. The table was set with pan seared tilapia topped with mango salsa, paired with steamed kale and cauliflower rice. It all smelled great and was bright and colorful… But Ella couldn’t really look forward to another dinner of hyper health foods and awkward conversations. There were nights she felt like she’d kill a man for half priced appetizers in a dive bar with a few friends. Still, at least tonight there was one friendly face.

They took their seats with Jana across the table from Karen. It was only then Ella remembered another danger already upon them. “Jana, you are the guest,” Karen said, “Would you like to lead us in grace?”

Jana thought about it for a moment “I… Yeah, it’s been years since I’ve tried to lead the prayer myself but I’ll give it a try if you will bear with me.” She bowed her head and closed her eyes and the three Grants joined her. Ella wondered if Jana would try to butter her parents up, saying the prayer in Latin like a good Catholic girl from Dublin. 

“ODIN! All father! Hear me!” Nope, apparently she was going a different angle. This outburst was enough to get them all to open their eyes, though Jana was just getting started. “Oh hanged god! Master of ravens! Seeker of Wisdom! Guide me as I journey through strange lands on my quest for knowledge of times long past! And please grant safety and peace of mind to those new friends I have yet to meet, and those old friends I left behind! Amen.” Finishing rather suddenly, Jana began helping herself to a large helping from the bowl of steamed kale that was closest to her.

   

“That… was a very spirited prayer…” Jerry said with an awkward laugh, that Karen cut short with a look.

   

“Well, normally when my father or grandmother lead the prayers we’d offer thanks and prayers to several of our gods, but I figured as a guest I should keep it brief.” Ella wasn’t sure if she should start laughing her head off or hide under the table as her mother might start breathing fire.

Dinner continued mostly in silence from that point on. Jana seemed to be thoroughly enjoying the meal, but the rest of them could feel the atmosphere, so thick and tense it could be cut with a knife. Jana tried to keep the conversation going with a small question or comment now and then, and where Jerry tried to be a little civil and gave concise answers, Karen barely made a sound. “So,” Jana said into the newest silence of the night, “Mister and Missus Grant, have you given any thought to allowing me to stay? I feel like I’m already such good friends with Ella and staying with her would make my visit in this country much more pleasant. And I’d help pay my way with more than just the money. I’m willing to cook and clean while I’m under your roof.”

Ella stayed silent as she watched her mother’s internal struggle. Seeing her indecision, Jerry made a rare independent decision. “It’s already too late to send you out looking for a hotel room on your own. You can stay the night and we can decide for sure in the morning.”

“Thank you Mr. Grant!” Jana smiled, injecting her thanks into the conversation before Karen could object. She also handed over the first check of payment for her stay. “Here, take this as collateral sir. If I decide not to stay I'll happily repay the dinner and the room before I leave.” She gave a rather exaggerated yawn and looked at the clock, “Getting rather late. Let me help clean up the dirty dishes and I think I’ll call it a night. Want to help Ella?”

The parents made no effort to stop the young adults from clearing the table and starting to work in the sink. They even left the room without further comment. It seemed they wouldn’t even say good night to their only daughter or company when they were annoyed. However Jana did catch Karen saying something to herself as she went down the hall to the master bedroom, “What’s the worst the pansy could do with a girl in the house anyway…”

Jana’s hands clenched into fists at the implications of that statement, hoping that her mistress hadn’t heard it. “Your mother is an interesting woman Ella. About as warm and inviting as a pit of cobras.”

“Oh that’s nothing. That was just her annoyed. You should see her when she’s actually mad.” Ella shuddered as she dried the plates Ella handed to her. “...Hey couldn’t you just magic these all clean?” 

“Oh sure I could, but there’s just something very human about doing things with your hands. I don’t technically need to eat either, but I love food so I’d never turn it down if it’s offered. Let me tell you from personal experience, conjuring food with magic just isn’t as satisfying as a home cooked meal. After decades of nothing but magic food I would take boiled shoe leather over summoned steak and potatoes… Sorry, got side tracked there for a moment.” Jana looked into the sink at the frying pan that still had burnt on seasoning and bits of fish stuck to it. “Maybe a little magic won’t hurt…” She snapped her fingers and the pan was spotless. “There we go. All Clean. Shall we talk in your room or mine?” 

“My room definitely, I…” Ella stopped and actually started blushing and tried to hide it.

“Is something wrong?” Jana asked, a little concerned, as cute as Ella was when blushing, the sudden change had the genie worried.

“No, nothing’s wrong it’s just… Well I’ve never taken a pretty girl alone to my room before… Well apart from earlier but… Oh you know what I mean!” She said in a flustered huff, still bright pink. 

The concerned feeling was gone, now Jana was just left with a whole lot of cute to deal with! “Don’t worry Ella, you’ve been a perfect gentlelady so far.” She motioned for her mistress to lead the way and they returned to the basement suite. The genie couldn’t help but feel flattered by the compliment and annoyed at how little Karen knew her own daughter… no, no Karen knew, she just actively chose to ignore the truth which was much worse… “Do you think your parents will let me stay?”

Ella let out a sigh once they were back in her room, the door locked behind them, and pulled out a hidden pack of double stuffed oreos from behind a stack of books. She took two for herself before offering the pack to Jana, “With mom it's anyone’s guess. Only her vote matters after all. You’ve done a lot to make her hate you in a short time.”

“Good!” She said through a mouthful of cookies. “I’m not doing anything to win the approval of that poorly disguised banshee, apart from giving her the money I can pull from the ether.” 

Ella paused in thought for a moment, “I don’t suppose there’s any chance she is actually some monster from an ancient legend we could kill with holy water could we?”

“Nah, no such luck. Take it from a Norse girl and a genie. Most of the fairy folk and witches and the like aren’t bad people. Your mother is more the sort of person that leads the angry mobs and that goblin parents tell cautionary stories to their kids about. She’s all human; more’s the pity.” She sighed and looked over at the bag that held her lamp. “We need to find a good place to keep that safe, then I say we have a good night’s sleep and we go have some fun in the morning.”

“Right. I bet you have all kinds of plans for tomorrow.” Ella said, getting up to check and see if there was enough space under the bed to hide the lamp there.

With her head turned away from Jana, she didn’t see the surprise on the genie’s face. “My plans? Oh no I meant your plans Ella. I thought for sure you’d want to use a wish or two tomorrow.”

Ella came back out to look at her friend, “What are you talking about? Remember I made a promise to you? You get all the time out and about you could want while I figure out how best to use my wishes. Tomorrow we’re doing anything you want!” 

Jana was touched by this selfless attitude. “Even with that dragon upstairs… you’re still thinking of my happiness first? Ella, you are one of the nicest humans I’ve met in centuries…” Before Ella had the chance to respond they heard movement upstairs and assumed it was one of the parents going to check on what the kids were doing. With a smile, a quick kiss on Ella’s cheek, and a whispered “Thank you,” the magical girl disappeared in a puff of smoke to take up her position for the night in the guest room, leaving Ella alone and blushing hard in her quiet space.

66