00: Dreaming of Butterflies
96 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

In the history of Ancient China, there was a man called Zhuang Zi. He was a philosopher, a Dao thinker. He once dreamt of himself as a butterfly, fluttering hither and thither, completely forgetting about his previous identity.

Once he became conscious, he checked to see if he was still himself. Yet, the doubt still lingered in his mind. Was he a man dreaming of becoming a butterfly or a butterfly dreaming of becoming a man?

Here lie two questions. How can we be sure that our reality is reality and not just a dream? And do our dreams also exist outside the fabrics of our universe?

Let’s say you dreamt of lying in a field of lush green, stargazing with your bare body on display. The wind gently plays with your hair, and the breath of the wild surrounds you. Daisies and buttercups dance in the breeze. Stars sparkling and twinkling as season changes.

The earth transforms from lush green to a blanket of white. Little buds sprout from the ground, revealing drooping snow-like petals in all their glory.

The temperature drops; your body shivers from Winter’s embrace.

Still stargazing, you witness a giant black tortoise and a dark green snake entangling with each other across the sky. The tortoise strides north slowly and majestically. The snake hangs slightly behind at the rear, tongue flickering.

The earth thaws and the whiteness disappear. Still chilly, verdant green fills the fields; spring daffodils bloom in the thousands. Dampness clings to your body as the stars shift again. A distant roar from the east heralds a dragon. Azure and mighty, it flies freely through the sky.

The air becomes hotter. The daffodils vanish; the ground looser. Sandy dunes surrounds you at all sides. A vibrant red flashes across the midsummer’s night. A piercing cry resounds in the south. A vermillion bird gloriously spreads its wings, its eyes piercing through your soul.

Autumn leaves flow wherever the wind takes them soon covering your arms and legs in pallets of red and orange. Once again, the stars rearrange themselves, a ferocious roar, and a disdaining snarl. A tiger in the west. A king within its mountains.

When feral eyes lock eyes with yours, you wake up gasping for breath, desperately scrambling for your cover, only to realise that you've kicked it to the floor.

Sweat damps your back, and despite covering yourself, you still feel as if you've been doused with cold, icy water. Touching your feverishly hot forehead says otherwise though after a moment all becomes calm.

And so, you lie back in bed.

Perhaps you were dreaming then; dreaming that you saw the mystical beasts of Chinese mythology? Though how sure are you, that your dreams and nightmares are just that? Simple dreams and terrifying nightmares that you’d forget once morning comes.

Or perhaps something else?

Perhaps you are dreaming right now. Dreaming of yourself reading this passage at this very moment and perhaps, he too is dreaming, dreaming that this world is nothing but a figment of his imagination?

Perhaps that man did dream up this World of Cultivation. An earthling that dreamt of his own adventures in Jianghu.

Perhaps he did dream of striving against the Heavens and throwing a spanner in the cogs of Fate. Of philandering his way across Nations and Realms; these Realms of Mortal, Hell and Heavens. Of matching blow to blow with hidden dragons and crouching tigers. Perhaps he really did find himself leading an interesting life of twists and turns, finally standing alongside the Immortals at the top of the pyramid. Of his name resounding far and wide.

Or instead of renowned strength, wealth, and fame, he dreamed of being mediocre. Of a peaceful life in trying times. Of a helpless leaf drifting wherever the winds of fortune or disaster whimsically blew; his life in the hands of those above. Of just being a face, nobody would ever know, fated to age, and die like most Mortals do.

Perhaps he resigned himself to his fate or perhaps he was still unwilling…

Nevertheless, Welcome to this dreamer’s dream!

Of a beautiful world full of wonder and love, of joyful laughter and serenity...

Of a grotesque world full of strife and conflicts, of long-lasting sorrows and chaos…

Come! With good wine and some company, let us delve into this world together!

1