The Maid And The Master
102 2 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I have to do it. I have to tell her about my feelings. But, under the current circumstances, I don’t know if that’s the right thing to do. Now, she is just maintaining the household work as usual. Should I tell her? Henry thought it over like, a couple of million times but still did not decide whether to confess his love towards the maid that worked in his house, Ms. Ellie. She was a hard worker and never missed her daytime shift, not even for a day. But, in the middle of cleaning, washing and maintaining, she worked as gracefully as a swan. She wore a simple maid dress given to her by the household committee, her hair was short, had a dark auburn shade to it. She had a very fair skin and her posture made her seem like a queen. On her days off, she would only wear her one-piece outfit and a simple Sun-hat under the bright daylight. Of course, she worked in a mansion. It was quite a splendid mansion, majestic in its own way.

“Sire, you are in the way. Would you mind, stepping a bit sideways?” she asked politely and poor Henry, out of his dream of talking to her, walked to the side. “S-Sure. Anything.” He shuttered whenever he stroke up a conversation with her. Today, she looked as simple as always. But for Henry, it was the most beautiful sight to see. He did not have the courage to speak to her. But she was fluent in her speech. While Henry struggled to even speak.

She never showed any emotions in front of her master. She was a plain girl at work. Still Henry could not help himself not to fall in love with the terrifying beauty who worked at his house. During the night, he would cower in desperation and steadily curse himself for one whole hour. He would bite his pillow and try to scream but he couldn’t. All he did think of was her and her only. Lost in his thoughts, he forgot that it was almost dinner time. He had to talk to her tonight. Other nights, he was busy with his mailing work at his office desk, filled with letters from London, Paris, and other corners of the world. He would work like a machine when he saw the letters.

But tonight, no letters came. He was free, even if for once. He strode towards his desk and it sure was empty. He put his palm on the edge of his table, other one on his forehead. I have to talk to her. I have to tell her about my feelings for her, I was harbouring for such a long time. Now when was it? Oh, four years ago. It’s been such a long time, but it still seems like tomorrow. Henry was lost in thoughts, again.

“Sire, you dinner is ready.” She spoke in an even tone from the corner of the big door. Then bowed and was about to leave when finally, a stutter came out, “Hey, Ellie, I mean, Miss Ellie?” he was very much scared to even talk. What would the next line be?

“Yes? What is it sire?” she asked in a low tone, since the door ‘came in the way’.

Henry was terrified of the situation. What will he do next? Will he ask her for her hand in marriage? Or will it be something else? “D-Do you have a man? I mean… no offence or any harassment but, are you… married?” he chocked the words out.

“I’m afraid not, Sire. But I do have a man I like in my mind.” She said, her voice tone slightly changing. She said what? Does… does she like someone already? I wonder…

There were two other butlers in the household that accompanied him in his tours around the city. His heart sank. Who was it? Both of them looked quite attractive and had a major degree of education. The duke had a more advanced and expensive education and surely was more knowledgeable in literacy, but still, why would she prefer him rather than them? Or so what Henry thought.

“I-I am coming in a moment. Please get the table ready.” Henry said feeling awkward to have asked such a depressing question and not to mention, none other than his maid. Her face changed from excitement to a boring one, which had no expression at all. There said it. It was one of them for sure. Henry smiled, realising that he could never stay with her, not in this lifetime. He gave a bitter smile, but slightly, not to get noticed.

He stood up and went on towards the dining hall, where Ms Ellie remained with plates of food in her hand. The dining hall was enormous, large enough to fit a group of people inside. The floors were firm, made out of complete wood, bricks met neatly, windows jammed to their sockets and a beautiful chandelier hung from the ceiling. The hall had a massive table which was a fifteenth century build. Ms Ellie drew the chair, gesturing him to come and sit down.

He did as she suggested. In the end, there is nothing I could do. But… still, I could ask her about the man she likes, right? Then everything will be settled between us. She would go on her own way and I will be on mine.

Henry started, “Say, Ms Ellie, would you be so kind to dine with me tonight? It seems like that you haven’t already had your dinner.” This time, Henry was fine with his words, no shuttering, nothing at all, just the plain simple self of him. “But my duke, is it okay to…” she trailed off.

“Yes. Please help yourself. Since you worked hard for me, you deserve it. Please, come sit down.” Henry gestured. She suddenly became self-conscious. Hey, what is that reaction? Never seen it before. Now then, time to strike. Henry was confident. She sat beside him, feeling flustered for no reason. They began to eat, only the sound of the spoons striking the plates were audible.

“Ms Ellie? Can I ask you a question?” Henry began.

“Yes, Sire. Anything.” She said while slightly turning her head up.

“Can you tell me more about the man you like? I would like to hear about him. I might also cheer you up.”

“S-Sure.” She stuttered for the first time.

“Go on.”

“Well, he is a very busy man in his work.” She said in a lowly tone while blushing slightly, “I never… got the chance to speak to him. I’m a little disappointed at myself. But since he and I are working under the same roof, it is unlikely that we don’t speak to each other very often. He never speaks too much, only the necessary topics. I’ve been liking him for a long time now, ever since I first came to this house.” Tears filled up her eyes.

“Hey, hey! Don’t push yourself! I know how you feel. Stay calm and eat your dinner okay?” Henry said in a soothing manner. That seemed to calm her.

“And it always has been my first love.” She smiled through tears. Wiping them she said, “Thank you, Sire.”

“S-Stop crying. I… don’t like tears, especially in your eyes.” Henry turned himself around. He so badly wanted to hug her and let her weep in his arms. He sighed deeply. Feeling defeated. He couldn’t make out the person of her dreams.

“Yes.” She said coming back to normal.

“I am sorry, Ms Ellie. I didn’t mean to make you feel down. I’m sorry.” He bowed down his head, in guilt, probably.

“No need to feel sorry for me, my duke. I get to see him every day.” She said with a smile and dreaming eyes, while staring at him. He shifted uneasily.

“Well that’s nice to hear, I think.” Henry ended. And finished his meal. And beside him, Ellie, stood up and left the table after cleaning. When she reached the main door, she said, “Sleep well, my duke.” She gave a little wink of her left eye and then left the room.

What was that about? Henry thought it over well and came to a conclusion to start his confessing journey the next morning. Clenching his fist, he stood up with the creak of the wooden chair and exited the hall with the thudding of his footsteps. There was a sound of the massive door closing as he left for his room towards the stairs.

Henry wasted on the silken sheets of fabric of his bed, shoving his face on the pillow, sighing a deep breath of exhaustion.

“What am I gonna do?” He asked himself, unsure of his situation. Actually, what would he do? Would it turn into an awkward situation? Or would it be more romanticized?

He did not know the answer.

Henry closed his eyes as the moon disappeared behind the clouds in the sky as he was barely staring through the window.

 

~THE END~


 

2