Chapter 10: Big bad Wolf
479 3 16
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Dante gritted his teeth as his stomach lurched, and gravity reclaimed his weight. He pushed into the air again, angling his distance to get as far away as possible.

Before landing, Dante took a sip of Lindonberry tea, flexed his left hand, rolled his shoulders and embraced for impact.

Arrows aimed down sight, were pulled from an invisible quiver and were already locked and loaded. Shooting forward with a magically enhanced speed.

Rebuffed, they flew towards the edge of the darkness, as a grey muscle of claws and ferocity came charging through, smashing away the North Seeker arrows with ease. Next it returned to all fours, it's speed doubling as Dante's courage waivered.

'I've made the choice… If I can't kill this one, then the other named two will be impossible.'

The barrage of Truth arrows didn't stop, and neither did the werewolf. Belatedly Dante pictured himself as a gladiator, who was forced to fight a monster. Outfitted with new marks, along with a new set of armour that boosted his attributes by a fair bit. But will it be enough?

The werewolf arrived, Dante ducked, almost decapitated by a heavy overhanded strike that clawed through the wind.

In one motion a mana imbued spear shot forward. His form was sloppy, but he made contact. 

"Wolf's Edge…"

A whisper left his breath, and death's claws reached towards the monster. It's torso shredded and ripped near in half by the rotating scythe at point blank range.

Critical hit!

Critical hit! ×2

Critical hit! ×3

A snarling growl attempted to burst his ears drums, drowning out the rain and the roaring winds. Yet Dante's attack didn't stop there. He struck again with his spear, stabbing down into the monster's heart, then released a torrent of fire.

'Flame Burst!'

Under no circumstances would he ease up.

'Flame Burst!'

Dante's mana flowed through the Iron Way spear, concentrating his spell power. 

'Burst!'

Fire rushed out of the opened torso. It's lungs strivaled and dried, suffocating the beast, canceling it's regeneration. Blood sizzled and boiled, halting the flow of oxygen to it's brain.

With wide eyes Dante watched the man-beast convulse, continuing to push his spell through the spear. He found it's weakness and burned it from the inside out.

Critical hit! You have slain Grey Werewolf Lvl 22

Werewolf core added to inventory.

Congratulations! You have completed Slayer I trial. Head to nearest shrine for reward.

Slayer II proficiency increased 1/5

"Impressive!" Came a harsh guttural voice. The scarred monstrosity swaggered through the clearing.

Mirrored on Dante's right, walked a black werewolf with a silver mane. It's fangs were a large cousin to the red Saber Wolf he had killed earlier. But what caught Dante's attention, was the battle axe that it so casually carried. The twin blades reflected the moonlight, and burned with sword aura.

"Looks like he has killed both of our disciples now. Huh, Ghost."

Dante reignited the embers from the dead werewolf, activating Waning Fire in the process.

"This rounds all mine, huh. What do you say? He killed little Gregorr right in front of me. I liked that one."

Ghost seemingly ignored his partner, continuing forward, a pressure building with each step.

The scarred Werewolf snarled, "What do you say kid, can I have this dance?"

Dante's eyes raced back and forth, but his mind blurred even faster, shocked by their ability to speak.

Lesser of two evils, damage reduction, which monster led to the correct path? Ultimately the fear of the massive battle axe led to his decision.

"Oh, that was cool."

Dante stored his spear, drawing Iron Compass from thin air. Leaning into the bow he shot arrow after arrow. The Iron Way clan's manuscripts having taught him a few lessons. For starters, his posture was terrible. Leaning into the bow increased the power and accuracy of each shot.

But what he came to understand, which was possibly the most valuable; is that the clan valued speed above all.

In quick secession, Dante launched three West Wind arrows harboring the spell Wolf's Edge. A sort of kinship– synergy melded together– and the spells power tripled, vibrating on the same frequency.

A challenging growl met the arrows head on, shattering the force blades with sheer will.

Though the fractured blades continued, biting into the muscular beast. All the while it stood tall–tanking the blow–while a smile of two inch thick fangs slick with saliva parted, echoing out a prideful gloat. It's laugh spoke of power. Of an enjoyment for Bloodsport.

In that instance, they both knew the next attack was to cripple, not kill.

'damn!' Dante cursed, he had chosen the wrong opponent.

~

Before he knew it the Scarred Werewolf rushed him.

Was that a movement skill, or was it naturally that fast? After coming to this world, no creature Dante found possessed the agility in which he couldn't read their movements. But now…

A casual bitchslap that entered Death's Corona almost broke his neck, and Dante rapidly blinked, trying to remain on his feet.

A lance of fire shot forward, and was crushed without a thought.

"You've intrigued us Human. Do you know who we are?" The monster asked nonchalantly. "Ghost called dibs after what you did to his little pets. But your first mistake is that you chose me, because– the werewolf raised a claw of five razor sharp daggers. "He doesn't like to play with his food hhaggrrhhhh!"

The claw ripped through Death's Corona, sending Dante flying through the air.

When he looked up, a clawed kick sent him even further, breaking two ribs.

Dante coughed up blood, barely managing to stammer out. "W-wait. I-have a proposal."

"Oh? What could you have, you're not one of the Knights. It doesn't look like you matter to a guild. No. You got to this world through the back door. Yeah I see it. A pirate, huh? What happened, did you escape slave? Tired of taking it up the bum?"

*Cough* "There was a map." Dante whispered.

"What?"

*Cough* "Gold and silver. The–

"Do I look like I want silver?"

Energy from the fire suffused his being. Dante rolled over to his back, staring up at the eight foot tall nightmare.

"I...can show you– the treasure." *Cough*

His HP was below half from one kick, and one strike. His forearms had deep slashes that bit to the bone. They burned as if from cold acid. He would welcome fire. Welcome heat.

'Is this it?' Dante wondered. With such mass, he doubted the werewolf could contain such power. It would kill him by accident.

"A pirate slave, with a stolen treasure map. Hajaja! And where'd you get this treasure map from?"

Dante waved his hand, pointing in a random direction.

The past few days he had felt invincible. Only a handful of hours ago, he was at the top of the world. Now, Unable to flee, Dante looked at the grim visage of death. And it stared back at him with a predatory smile.

"Way over there? Why would a glorious treasure map filled with gold and hot babes be way over there?"

Closing his eyes, Dante inhaled, then exhaled. 'This bastard's laugh is so annoying!' Opening his eyes, he met the monster's gaze.

With a secure grip on his spear, Dante charged. A human sized ball of fire raced across the field.

~

There was a burn that infused his being with each step. As if each step forward kindled a dying ember.

Charge has reached level 9

Dante's speed doubled, and doubled. Intertwined with Flame Burst he blasted off like a rocket.

Darkness swirled all around him. Some sort of spell, he realized. Able to dampen one's power, yet he glowed like a small star under that skill. And as he entered into range of the scarred beast, Death's Corona condensed down into a twisting lance. 

The spiral shot forward with an explosion, engulfing the werewolf from head to toe.

Rain and shadow, conspired to cripple him, but Dante maintained his grip on the spell, morphing it into chains of fire that sought to bind the creature. If he could hold it long enough, he would cancel out the werewolfs regeneration, allowing him to plant effective attacks.

All the while it laughed, releasing an aura that pushed back against his attack. Yet when the chains remained, the werewolf realized it's predicament. A curious smirk played across it's face and then it rushed forward.

Charge and Flame Burst danced, a duet that if failed, would usher Dante to the underworld. Ever so slightly the werewolf devoured him. Drained him of hope, sweat and blood. It's claw strikes, when blocked, reverberated throughout his spear, sending jolts up his entire arms.

Oftentimes Dante would drop, then re-summon another weapon to continue his defense. During these encounters horror floated at the edges of his mind. No matter how much he pushed, how much strength he drew, the beast grew wilder. A physical specimen of daunting ferocity, whose might bulldozed over his spells. Adding to the fact that his mana was halved, having to maintain a hold on the fire suppressing the werewolfs regeneration. If it wasn't for Waning Fire, and the tea that boosted his Endurance and mana regeneration, his energy would have been long spent.

Attempting to regroup, Dante dashed back, barely missing a slash that would have gutted him. Reaching into his inventory, he flipped, dropping one of the Iron Way clans runestones. As the stone touched the earth, a hole appeared in the ground, enveloping the werewolf. Infused with mana, the runestones spell doubled, increasing the depth and width of the pit.

Dante fell to one knee, his lungs thundering hard. He breathed in and out, allowing Waning Fire to ease away his pain and stress.

All of two seconds passed, when a clawed hand reached towards the sky. The werewolf had escaped the burial, like that of a zombie. It crawled forward, with chains of fire burning into it's skin and fur.

The scene was that of a horror movie, and Dante's nose bled, unable to maintain hold on the spell.

Now on two legs, it cracked it's neck, and Dante watched as the werewolf rejuvenated.

"Ahhh, now that does feel good." The condescending grin returned.

Dante's stomach plummeted.

"Stop! P-please, don't eat me!"

"Oh, I'm not going to eat you." The smile gave truth to the lie. The bastard even started to pick his teeth.

"If–if you come any closer my master will come?"

"Master? For killing you after you've stolen a treasure, The Golden Devil will probably thank me. And if your master is not the Golden Devil, well…" The threat was left open, as they both knew the truth.

Mentally crossing his fingers, Dante puffed out his chest. 'Your name better hold weight!'

"I am a student under the protection of Kell'og Ignitrus, Ruler of the Ashen Plateau."

The werewolf cocked it's head. "Never heard of him."

The bluff failed. When next Dante summoned a spear, the werewolf grasped it, catching him off guard. It's laugh, an insult, signaling an end to the play. 

With a clawed hand the scarred monstrosity reached into the flaming corona and grasped Dante's throat. The first squeeze sliced his neck and shoulders. With a twitch, his spine would snap.

"Stop…" A feminine whisper echoed across the field. "I've seen enough."

Dante followed the gaze of the scarred werewolf. It looked behind itself out into the darkness.

Turning back around it gifted Dante with a rebellious smile. Pressure increased shutting off his windpipe. Then a primal warning flashed, and blood splattered across his face, burning his eyes.

Beast mana 815/3000

Dante collapsed, the hand of the werewolf still enclosed around his throat. He pried the claw off, gasping for air. When he looked up he noticed the scarred werewolf had backed off. Now leaking blood from a stump, while it's remaining arm scratched the back of its neck.

Next to it, Dante realized, was another werewolf. 

Umbral Warg Lvl ??

The creature had finally revealed itself.

"The Alpha…?"

It was black. Unnaturally so.

With one paw forward, the shadow moved. It's fur, a cloak reflecting the void, only noticeable by two brilliant golden orbs that floated in open space. They held Dante's gaze, lulling his concentration.

'Stay awake...stay, awake!'

Dante managed to divert his eyes, standing up with a bow in hand. When he looked back to the werewolves, he noticed the shadow was missing. Throughout the fight it had stayed back and remained at watch.

But now… a blurr shifted on his right, when he turned, the shadow knocked him over. Pain burst from his back as a rock gouged into him. Though such pain was inconsequential to the bite that pierced his shoulder.

His body jerked, head bent to the side. High above the trees, he glimpsed a halo of silver. It was the moon that glowed with infinite glory.

16