Chapter 06
174 1 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I ran. Ran with all my might. But it still worried me if Michelle had made it out to the mansion. The mob was intact behind me, shouts still ringed in my ears, even though I didn’t know for how long I was running. I soon began panting.

Crossing path with a giant redwood tree, I slid behind, wishing that the mob would soon disperse. I wished they wouldn’t find me. I couldn’t pant too loud. I gripped my hairs out of frustration. Damn it! I spat in my mind, clenching my fist, shaking hard.

Hours passed as I waited, resting against the dark redwood bark. The angry crowd was gone, apparently dissing over each over for some reason I didn’t know. Silence fell as I walked out from the behind, brushing off the dirt from my suit and pants.

‘Dodged that bullet,’ I spoke to myself.

After that, I remember myself walking through the dense woods, an owl hooting somewhere in the distance, bushes rustling beside me. I walked aimlessly, nowhere to head. I hope she’s alright… the thought crossed my mind, trying to remember the memories I spent with her in the mansion. It was probably for a short while, still I served my job as a butler. I guess I had to quit being one.

I tried to take off my coat but suddenly I felt a sharp sting on the back of my neck, reminding me of the contract we formed days ago. I scratched my neck, feeling itchy. Walking on the dirt track, I could only hear the sound of the sand crushing under my boots. I sighed a breath of exhaustion. Alongside the path, crocuses bloomed with small periwinkles. I knelt down, picked one out of them, and shoved it in my pocket, hoping for some good luck.

‘Where are you headed, young man?’ a man from behind me patted on my shoulder. I didn’t notice him coming.

‘Oh, I’m just a looking for an inn to stay for the night,’ I turned back, ‘I’m on a business trip.’ I lied. He didn’t look at me suspiciously. It was when I noticed him in the dark. He had a tough build and a rough face, probably had some harsh training. He had dark eyes, sheltered by an old hat on top of his head. He wore a rug jacket, underneath was a white farmer’s long shirt. His worn out brown leather pants was accompanied by a pocket belt. And he carried a bunch of clanging metal bars, pointed at the end. As if he knew I was staring at them, he instinctively answered.

‘Oh, sorry about that… I’m Galahar, Galahar Woodhouse. A blacksmith, weapons dealer, you may call me anything.’ he took off his hat and bowed slightly. ‘And you are…’ he leaned forward, raising an eyebrow.

‘Connor. Just Connor,’ I answered, avoiding any further intrusion into my privacy.

‘Well Connor, care for a drink? You’re still young,’ he tugged my shoulder, dragging me along with him through the dirt road. I had no choice but to follow him. ‘I know a local tavern here,’ he pointed at the distance, where the town was coming into sight. I sighed in relief. The street lights began to appear, brightening the sight. The wind picked up, making the bushes and shrubs flap.

‘Oh dear, the wind sure is something,’ the old man forced down his hat, trying not to let it fly away. It lifted my jacket up. I felt the wind on all my sore legs, even through the clothing. I was barely able to walk, with trembling legs. ‘Ah, we’re almost there.’ he glanced at me with a warm smile. Was I supposed to smile back at him? My mind was all hazy. Unable to think through, I gave him a little nod. He smiled back.

Looking front, I noticed two men walk out of the tavern the old man mentioned. It wasn’t the best one in the town, and I had to find an inn to stay the night. They spoke wildly, in a husky manner. One of them toppled over the other.

‘Bah! Men these days…’ he let out. I just stared at him, almost drained out of energy.

‘I suppose so…’ I croaked out, weak.

‘Well, let’s go in!’ he seemed cheerful.

Pushing open the hard, rough wooden door, the old man led me in. The light from the burning lamps blinded me, forcing me to shield my eyes with my hands. Of course I was in the dark all this time. The room fell silent as we walked to the bar, the bartender staring intently at us.

‘One round each for both of us, on me,’ he winked at me, grinning. Well, I suppose I could go with all that. The bartender didn’t even give an expression. Turning around, he gestured us towards an empty table. We helped ourselves and walked over to the table. I slid into an empty eat near a window. Darkness lay steadily outside, without a movement, or a trace of wind.

‘This tavern… isn’t very crowded,’ I began. Woodhouse drew a chair opposite to me and wasted onto it. I hadn’t very attentive on what he spoke for the next few moments. Everything appeared blurry already before the drinks were even bought.

I felt someone behind me as the bartender interrupted our one sided talk, clamming the glasses on the table, the drink sizzling with foam.

‘To our friendship that may last forever,’ he lifted up his drink in the air, then taking a huge gulp in one go. I fumbled at first, trying to fetch the drink on the table. I realised I was one the verge of wasting myself on the table due to my lack of sleep. Without another thought, I was suddenly unconscious. But still, I felt a thud as my head hit the hard table, followed by the muffled cries of old man Woodhouse. After a few moments, I couldn’t even feel him shaking my shoulders hard.

 

 

I woke to the bright light on my face that held me flinching up on a soft white bed. My hands gripped the bed sheet tightly, squeezing it hard from the pain in my head. Was I that drunk? I palmed my forehead, looking for paining pulses, yet seemed to find nothing.

It was when a familiar sound hit my eardrums. The chirping sound of cicadas and crickets ringed in my ears. Sitting up, I was blinded by yet another light. But this had something different, some warm feel to it as it fell on my face. The humidity was high like never before. Summer?

I jumped out of bed without even realising my condition. I glanced around to find myself in a cool, empty room. The walls seemed closing on me. I slid up my hair, making out the whole situation. I dashed out the door behind me, entering a deserted living hall, gripped by strong pillars of wood. The floor seemed worn out, covered by an old velvet carpet. Everything was foreign to me.

 Calming down a little, I felt yet another shock as I found myself in a plain shirt and my fittings. Barefoot, I pushed the door open which seemed like the exit. The warm sunlight welcomed me to a charming landscape. I shielded my eyes, watching the sun gaze over me. Narrowing my eyes, I noticed a dark figure atop a green hill, digging deep with a shovel, throwing the dirt aside.

‘Hey!’ I let out a cry, causing him to turn over to me. Woodhouse waved his hand, tipping his hat from the distant hill top. Soon, a warm breeze graced my cranky skin, and I stretched myself. The weather seemed so oppressive that even the flies stopped swarming around. The air was suddenly still, as if holding off on a long awaited thunderstorm.

I walked out, taking short steps, as if reaching for a far end. The sun was beginning to sink into the horizon, the sudden and strong smell of jasmine and honeysuckle hung heavily in the air.

I glanced back at the estate I came out of as I strode up the hill. Blooming lilies surrounded the large urns flanking the path to the front door. The white columns of the porch I didn’t notice glowed orange from the setting sun by the little garden, the nearby pond’s mirror-like surface gleamed in the distance, and I could hear the faraway sounds of children squealing in the neighbouring barns, playing about in their games.

‘Slept all morning till the evening, huh?’ he paused and rested his arm on the dug shovel, taking off his hat and fanning himself. ‘Sure is hot today. Feeling any better?’ his dark eyes seemed to stare at me, but I couldn’t tell because of the receding light.

‘Sunlight…?’ was all I could muster up and force out my throat.

‘Hmm? Do you not like it? Don’t tell me… you’ve never seen sunlight? Are you one of the demons?’ he raised a suspicious eyebrow towards me. I gulped, feeling exposed. ‘Hah! Don’t sweat over so much, I was just messing around!’ he clapped my back, walking past me and stepping down the hill. I stood there, dazed at the sudden change of mood.

‘Don’t just stand there, come on! It’s almost time for making dinner!’ he waved from the distance, splashing water on his face from a stream that flowed through the middle of the garden. It seemed to have appeared from behind the treeline some yards away, past the blue meadows. The water seemed clear as crystal, reflecting back the face of any man.

I glanced back at the sun, feeling the wind as I turned back and walked down the hill. The landscape no longer appeared green to me, just dark. But, while walking through the garden and to the front door led by Woodhouse, I still had questions… about the sunlight. It didn’t appear even once back when I was a butler.

I stepped into the light of burning lamps, in a room filled with only two persons—old man Woodhouse and an unfamiliar face, a girl. The sweet smell of cherries and pancakes struck my nose as I bowed to both of them, thanking for their hospitality.

‘My humblest and sincerest thanks to you both for having me for the night. Tomorrow, I shall excuse myself and find a suitable inn in town,’ I reassured both of them, wanting them to feel relieved from any stress.

‘Oh please, you are free to stay here. I wouldn’t mind,’ he smiled back at me, plating the table at the same time.

‘That’s kind of you, but—’

‘Ah, no buts! Let’s have dinner first shall we?’ he interrupted and drew back a chair, gesturing me to sit down and have a bite. The girl quietly sat down right opposite to me, almost scuttling into a corner, as if afraid to talk to me. I faced her, trying to come up with a method of conversation. But I simply just couldn’t. Old man Woodhouse took control of the situation, starting off his chatter with a random topic. While I lied most of the time, things seemed to be going quite well.

Between, we had some short moments of just spoons clattering against the plates and the sound of glasses being kept down. Come other moments would just be filled with just talks.

I led down my spoon on the table and then thanked both of them and Woodhouse showed me the way to my room.

 

 

Night fell, the moon rose quite high up in the sky, marking the stars, making them glint.

Laying down on my bed, I stared up at the white ceiling supported by massive beams, as if bearing the prickling point of a thousand needles. I raised my hand up as if trying to reach the ceiling, despite of knowing what exactly was I doing.

I suddenly witnessed a dark figure enter through the door though it was a very minute sound. The soft tapping of someone’s feet sounded in the room, gradually advancing towards me. I felt a chill run up my body as I sensibly felt someone, stroking my feet, fingers running up. Sitting up with a sudden jerk of the body, I faced a similar face, smiling at me.

‘How is it?’ it was the same girl from before. The fact that I saw her in her dress and bangs no longer mattered. She was in her thin night slip, probably muslin. Her bare thighs rubbed against my legs, her long, tender arms graced the corner of her lips. She stroked my chest, running her finger all the way through my throat and finally stopping at my lips. ‘Feeling better…?’ she seductively smiled at me.

‘Wait… what… but,’ I began.

She pushed her finger onto my lips, shushing me. ‘Shh…’ she acted like a mother soothing a child. Then, leaning onto me, she wrapped her arms around my neck. She smelled of lemon and rosemary. It was when I noticed them… utterly darkened… wings of a demon. They looked like withered, but still intact to her back, stretching out and blocking the moonlight from the window.

‘What… are you?’ I finally let out.

‘Oh, I thought you already knew. What? Haven’t seen a succubus before?’ she released herself from me, holding my shoulders, pinning my back against the wall behind me. Putting her legs across mine and sitting on my thighs, she stared at me lusciously. She seemed so different from when we had dinner. So bold, even taking on me with a vulnerable form. ‘Well then, shall we begin?’ she smiled at me from a shadow.

‘Wait—’ I was stopped.

She cupped my chin with one hand, pulling me with the other. And then landed her lips on mine hard. I was unable to repel her, except just get along. I suddenly felt something entering my body, something energetic and powerful. I felt my stamina rise to an unbelievable level ever than before. I instinctively put my hands around her waist, unwillingly pulling her closer to me. She suddenly shoved her tongue inside, burning with passion. I felt burn on my tongue tip, as she retracted herself from my face.

‘The ritual is complete!’

Ahh, finally to chapter 6, are we? Oh, and, if I may add, I have been wanting you guys' opinion so far. Have this story been interesting so far? Have I been elaborate? You may state anything... if you want, that is. Please do comment. It'd help me in my writing

5