Ch. 11 – Today, I’m the Saintess?! Pt. 2
3k 6 100
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
An absolutely inhuman level of light magic poured its way into the capital city, so enormous and so pure as to have not been seen since the age of gods.
 
Every single citizen froze in place as the blinding light washed past them, radiating out further and further as it continued to spread - like ripples in a lake.
 
The light passed harmlessly through the town, rejuvenating all that it touched. Minor aches evaporated, small scars faded away, energy replaced exhaustion, and hope replaced despair - the light blessed all that it touched. Every single citizen looked to the church, the source of the miracle, with a look of complete reverence and awe.
 
Within the church, the Duke and Pope stood stock still with their mouths agape, like broken marionettes.
 
Maven, the source of their shock and the citizen’s reverence, wobbled in front the examination pedestal - clearly drained by the sudden return of her memories and the outpouring of light she caused. Then, as if a spinning top at the end of its run, she toppled powerlessly onto the ground unconscious.
 
The Duke, seeing his daughter pass out onto the floor, finally came back to himself. As he moved forward to help her, the Pope also reawakened from his stupor. Having witnessed a genuine miracle, the Pope’s mind began to turn rapidly.
 
How should he respond? Should he prop up this Duke’s daughter as a genuine emissary of the goddess… or should he attempt to squash this potential risk factor while she was still young?
 
With his eyes locked on the scene of the Duke currently tending to his daughter, the Pope shook his head.
It would be too dangerous to attempt something with Maven. Not only is her power unknown, but Duke Daegal himself would make for a fearsome opponent. Not only is his influence as the Prime Minister second only to the King, but he is one of the foremost fire mages in the country… Perhaps, this could be the perfect opportunity to strengthen relations with the Daegal house and bring the unknown quantity that is Maven into the fold of the church.
 
Mind made up, the Pope crept up behind the kneeling Duke. “Your Grace, allow me to assist you with your daughter. I am quite skilled with both light and life magic. The examination is supposed to be safe, but there was clearly an irregularity.”
 
Duke Daegal turned his cool gaze to the Pope and, after a moment, motioned for Pope Ferdinand to approach. The Pope knelt down next to the Duke while placing his hand upon Maven’s small head, feeling for any irregularities in her life force.
 
“She appears to be merely be exhausted, Your Grace. Maven should be just fine with a little rest.”
 
“That’s good.” The Duke replied, before asking in an unruffled voice, “What’s your perspective on the results of the examination?”
 
Thinking that this was his chance, the Pope stated passionately, “Surely this a sign from the Goddess! Your daughter has been blessed by Kannon herself! I have never seen such power in all my life. Lord Daegal, would you be willing to listen to an impertinent request?”
 
The Duke nodded powerfully, sensing that the Pope’s following words would likely bring great benefits to his house.
 
“I would love to anoint young Maven here as the Saint of the Church of Light and share her blessing with the great people of this kingdom. She would be a powerful symbol of the Goddess’s love and, eventually, a standard bearer in the fight against demon kind.” Knowing the Duke’s extreme disdain for the demon race, Pope Ferdinand smirked internally as he uttered the last point.
 
Scratching his chin, the Duke thought carefully on the merits and demerits of the Pope’s proposition.
 
Maven could be Daegal House’s ticket to even greater influence, but it would require stepping his foot into the Church’s sphere of influence. Thus far, House Daegal has avoided any involvement with the Church. Pope Ferdinand was known to be both power hungry and wily - one must be careful in their dealings with him.
However, this deal was just too good to pass up. This was something other than a mere contract or exchange of interests. Maven, the Duke’s own flesh and blood, would be a symbol for all the intelligent races. A banner to unite humans, elves, beastkin, and dwarves.
 
Mind made up, the Duke assented to the Pope’s offer, “Very well then. House Daegal would be honored.”
The Pope, thrilled at the Duke’s acceptance, noticed Maven beginning to stir. Putting on his most kindly smile just as Maven regained consciousness, she blearily looked at the old man in priest clothes as he said, “Welcome back, my dear.”
Mind still a jumble from the previous events, Maven just blinked back at the bald old Pope.
  
“I have never been more pleased, for the Church now has its Saintess!”
  
This unwelcome news proved too much for Maven, pushing her back into the void of unconsciousness.
  
My quiet life……’ being the last thought that crossed her mind before collapsing again.
 
100