Chapter 8: The Unexpected
66 2 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 8: The Unexpected

Sunlight pierced through the cracks in the canopy of the forest, lighting up the birch trees' barks and casting a shade over the grassy ground. Serenity flowed through the forest like a cold spring river. But it was eerily quiet. Not even the sound of the birds chirping could be heard nearby.   

Numerous shadows jumped from one tree branch to another, rattling the leaves of the tree’s crown and disturbing the peaceful scenery. Their footsteps were light yet in this forest that was muted their noise reverberated throughout the area.

The shadows landed onto a thick tree branch as they scoured the forest. 

“Damn!” one of the figures shouted out. 

The others turned their head immediately to face them. 

The daylight revealed the appearance of the so-called shadows. Vibrant grassy hair, tanned skins and piercing green eyes. Attached to their back were wooden bows and on their waist were quivers containing sharp arrows. Donning light armours, they were Hunters from Igysil village. 

“Today’s hunt is going to be empty, there’s no animal insight,” the figure continued. “They should have returned once the tide is over right? How are we going to find food?” Leon scratched the back of his head in annoyance. 

A hunter growled at Leon, “We aren’t out here for hunting. Did you forget our goal already?”

“Were you not listening at all? The Elder clearly said that the animals won’t come back for a while after a tide has occurred,” another Hunter berated him. “That’s why we even had to procure the beast corpses after the tide.”

Leon stumbled back from the sudden barrage of outrage. 

“Now, now. Let’s focus on the mission,” another person chimed in. She turned her head to look at another Hunter that was staring into the distance. “Leader.”

Harmonia, the Head Hunter, turned around. “Hmm?” Her intense eyes stared back at the group. 

If Theo was a painting made from the mythical Faes then Harmonia was the embodiment of nature itself with a dash of wildness. Upon a closer look, her fierce eyes were framed by long curly eyelashes that were like a brush of paint. Her glistening hair was tied into a small bun with a thin strip of leather and instead of wearing a leather armour like the others, she was dressed in a brown fur armour that she made herself. 

Despite the sharp look she gave off, none of the members flinched as they were used to her beauty and fervour.        

Sylia, the Hunter who called out Harmonia, asked, “Should we continue?”

Harmonia nodded, “Let’s go.” She leapt from the branch in a flash without waiting for the others. 

The Hunters quickly followed suit, not wanting to be left behind. 

“Hey, what’s wrong with the leader?” Leon asked a nearby Hunter.

“Shhhh! You idiot,” the hunter berated him in a quiet voice. He got closer to Leon and whispered, “Shouldn’t you realise why?”

“Oh, it’s a cause of that?” Leon’s eyes widened upon realising the truth. “Leader! You can’t blame yourself for that. We went hunting to the North of the village while the tide came from the south,” he bellowed. 

Idiot!” all the hunters yelled back at him in unison. 

Harmonia glanced back at Leon while still maintaining her speed. “Back then when we couldn’t find any prey, we should have headed back. Animals flee when they sense danger coming, just like now. It was obvious.”

Gritting her teeth, Harmonia uttered, “It’s my fault for pushing us to go even further rather than returning.” Then she kept silent—not saying any further. 

Leon felt the urge to say something in response but before he could open his mouth, a barrage of death stares bore into him from the other Hunters. He gulped and kept his mouth shut—reluctant to die from their arrows.     

The Hunters kept on moving together as they travelled further south from the village. It was a silent journey as no one dared to poke the bee’s nest that was Harmonia. 

A tree branch that Leon landed on snapped and fell to the ground, fortunately, Leon was quick enough and leapt to a nearby tree. Despite the sudden event, no one turned their head to look at Leon. Their eyes were instead glued to the staggering scene in front of them. 

Countless holes dredged deep into the giant trees; they were completely destroyed. The sight had come out of nowhere and destroyed the serene image that was painted prior. An unnatural pool of grey liquid covered the ground beneath the trees.  

“What happened here?” Leon questioned. 

Harmonia jumped from where she stood and landed down onto the ground before anyone could answer. The others soon followed behind and landed near the grey puddle yet still staying their distance. 

Leon crouched down and reached his hands out to the grey liquid. 

“Don’t touch it!” Harmonia yelled. 

Leon flinched and froze from his position. 

Harmonia continued, “The Elder mentioned about the Serpent’s servants. This must have been their remains.”

Sylia carefully touched the trunk of a shattered tree, “And these?” 

“Apis village,” Harmonia responded.

“You mean their Nevula Bees?” Sylia stated with her eyes widened with the realisation. 

The other hunters quickly surveyed the area. 

“These holes were made from their stinger then?” Leon concluded. “Does this mean that Apis is still standing?” 

Harmonia’s eyes narrowed at the question. “Maybe, that’s uncertain. We can’t rule out that possibility.” She looked around to see if there were any clues or tracks left behind. Yet oddly enough there weren’t anything but the holes and the grey puddle. 

Not even a single body of the Nevula Bees or their stingers. 

“Leon, Sylia, Gane,” Harmonia called out.

“Yes?” the three replied. 

“You three head back first and let the Chief know about this.”

“What? But we are close to Apis, shouldn’t we head there first?” Leon argued. 

Harmonia shook her head, “The rest of us will head there but you three are the fastest and should head back. There’s a possibility that the bees are heading towards Igysil.”

“How could that be, leader? We didn’t see them at all when we were coming here.” 

“They might have travelled a different path, I can’t allow myself to make another mistake. So you three better move quickly,” Harmonia’s intense eyes drilled into them. 

Goosebumps flared up on their skin from her fierce gaze.

“We’ll head back now,” Sylia said and jumped up from her spot and landed on a nearby tree.

Gane followed shortly after while Leon stared at Harmonia for another second.

“Alright, please be safe,” Leon said before following the other two. 

Harmonia stared at them briefly as they disappeared from her sight. She turned to the other Hunters, “Let’s go.” 

They all sprang toward the direction of Apis. 

I hope I’m wrong, Harmonia thought to herself. 

***  

A shard of light that broke through the window landed on Polius’ sleeping face. As the heat intensified, his bushy brows furrowed. He shifted his head to the right to avoid the light but he couldn’t escape it. In another attempt, he turned his head to the left, barely escaping into the cool shade. 

Polius had fallen asleep next to the infant while watching over him through the night. Similar to the forest, it was a peaceful scene of the two sleeping on the small bed. 

The door of the room slammed open and in a similar fashion to the forest, the serenity of the painting was torn apart. 

Polius woke up immediately from the slam of the door and lounged upright from the bed.

“I’m sorry Chief but there’s an emergency!” Lydia exclaimed with sweat dripping down from her chin to her collarbone. She was gasping with deep breaths. 

Polius’ mind was in disarray as he stared at Lydia, unable to say anything. Lydia’s appearance and words had yet to settle in his mind that was clouded by a mist. Her haggard complexion only further puzzled Polius. 

Why’s Lydia like this? What time was it? What’s happening? All these questions echoed loudly in his mind. 

“What happened?” Polius asked. 

“The Hunters. They came back wounded. They said there’s an emergency!” Lydia said with each big gasp of air.”

“Hunters? What were they doing outside?” Polius was taken back, the answers Lydia gave only further mystified his mind.

Lydia’s heart slowly steadied down but nevertheless, it was still racing. “The Elder tasked them with going out.”

“Empedocles? What’s the emergency? Why are they wounded,” Polius finally asked the important question after settling his rattled mind.

“I-I’m not sure, I ran here immediately when I saw the commotion at the gate,” Lydia responded.

Polius’ mind was still groggy yet the mist that had covered it was slowly lifting up as the second pass by. He glanced down to see the infant was still deeply asleep. Then he stood up and dashed through the door.  

He was then assaulted by the wonderful aroma of food that had permeated around the house. Yet this did not stop his movement as he ran through the hallway and reached the house’s entrance. 

At the edge of his eye, there was a carefully laid out tray of food on the table. Each plate had its own distinct colour which in any other situation would have sparked his hunger. Unfortunately, the circumstances that he was in didn’t let him enjoy the enticing food before his eyes. 

Without any delay, he bolted out of the house. 

The bustling scene of villagers sitting together with each other of yesterday was nowhere to be seen. Instead, numerous villagers were seen donned in their combat gear and holding their weapon in their hands.

“Chief!” they shouted out as they spotted him running out.

However, Polius did not stop at their exclamation and continued to run towards the village’s gate. 

The sky above was still deceivingly clear, there were no clouds in sight. Only the harsh sunlight blasting in all directions.

Polius continued to run non-stop, the ringing noise in his head got louder and louder with each passing second. His heart was being strangled by the unknown situation and from the guilt for oversleeping.  

Once Polius reached the gate, he could see a figure talking with the other elders of the village while simultaneously giving out orders to the other villagers. 

“Theo!” Polius shouted.

Theo turned around to discover Polius’ bloodshot eyes gawking at him. “You are awake. I didn’t guess wrong then when I saw Lydia run from here.” 

Theo turned back to the elders, “Quickly go.” 

In an instant, the elders dispersed and Theo walked towards Polius.

“You are in a haggard state, my friend.” 

Polius’ anxiety was slightly soothed by Theo’s calmness. “I let my guard down and myself,” he replied as his eyes darted to the ground. 

Theo shook his head, “The Chief’s burden isn’t something visible to a villager’s eyes.”

Polius looked up to stare Theo in the eyes. 

“Empedocles said that,” Theo mentioned with a smile.

That old man. Polius clenched his fists as he thought about Empedocles. 

“This is just unfortunate timing,” Theo comforted Polius as he glanced to the side.

A villager ran towards the two while carrying a set of fur armour that resembled what Harmonia wore. 

“Chief! Your armour,” the villager said as he handed over the battle gear.

Polius nodded and took it off the villager’s hands. “Thank you.” He looked back at Theo, “What happened? Is it another tide?”   

Theo shook his head, “Fortunately, no. Bu—”

Before Theo could finish his words, he was interrupted by the booming sound coming from afar. 

A cluster of dust flew up from the collapse of trees yet there was an undeniable buzzing sound from within.   

“I wanted to explain but I guess you’ll have to see it for yourself,” Theo lamented. 

Hundreds of shadows darted out before the dust had settled. A gleaming yellow body with black diagonal stripes crossing over each other and a pointy scarlet red stinger attached to its bottom.  

Nevula Bees!” Polius yelled. 

This is the last chapter for today! Next release will be on Friday!

This hasn't been edited by my editor yet so it will be updated again later once the editing is done. 

Thank you for reading!

Don't forget to follow, favourite, and rate!

3