Chapter 1
96 4 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

   Chapter one

   [Just stop trying to move you brat!] 

My eyes open wide as I finally recognize the face. I swallow my stuck saliva down my throat as I get hit by waves of sorrow. Stomping, kicking, punching, everything is done by those three with no seems of stopping. It's only getting worse as his face quickly gets covered by his own blood and dirt. Those proud three are one of the many housekeepers around here with authority to do anything. I keep staring as I fight the urge to run up and punch them myself, but I can't. Meanwhile, my surroundings do not change in pace at all. It’s like this is not even happening none is going to stop to look because this is the norm in everyday life. For me to stand up for him can be considered as a dangerous act . The only way to survive is to adapt and pretend to be like everyone else. I'm stuck here watching this time bubble in history as the only spectator. After moments finally the child is broken as he stops struggling and lets the cruel fate swallow him whole. But just for a mere second his eyes flash with hope as the boy finally recognizes me in my disguise. One second gone and the second passes. Getting eaten alive by regret I keep staring at those pure innocent eyes which are judging my morals as a fellow human. Finally the emotions come to life as my face muscles turn. 

  [Shit, not here]

I try to stop what comes next but its too late I can feel my eyes getting blurry like murky water. I turn to look at the boy. Hands trying to reach me but I won't hold them and I can't. I cannot show my true face expressed by my emotions. With hard decision to make I clench my pendant with full swing as I take a deep breath and take off. 

Moving in daze all of the faces in the crowd look all the same. The same damn expressions filled with nothing but void. Moved by disgust I take a left turn to an alley and throw myself down to take a break in the relatively cool day. Surrounded by my fellow companions litter boxes. My held up emotions resurge as I break a tear followed by a stream of tears.

[He should know better how does he expect me to help him he knows the circumstances we have to live in.

 [I just couldn't do anything...GODDAMMIT!]

I throw down a tantrum and drop the synthesized water bottle on the ground. Just as I do that a familiar noise fills my surroundings

*BEEP* *BEEP* *Notification : Air filter in critical condition change as soon as possible, to prevent permanent lung damage. Further notic-*

[Ah just shut up I get it already]

I cut off the message from my watch and clean the remains of salty water on my face. Picking up the filter out of my backpack I change it immediately. I stare into the skies filled with smoke and rethink everything that has just happened. He is gone just like that and I had no power to prevent it. I relax my body and give up the fight versus gravity and let my body slump down like a sack.

Light shifts from center to north and noon turns to dusk. I finally decide to move as I come to terms with reality.

Sluggishly I stand up and start moving towards a special place for my soul to rest and after a quick walk I'm greeted with a runned down building. Just like every building around here it also reeks of poverty. Yes, this is the center of my lovely home the slums.

After staring at it for short my heart gets hit with feelings of relief as I realize I can feel safe now. With a smirk up my face I walk up to the run down set of stairs and start climbing them counting each stair one by one. 

After a brief moment I'm greeted with a sight which I've dearly missed. Doors and behind it I can also hear what I wanted to hear for so long. Voices full of vigor some of them are thrown with anger and conflict but I can only feel happiness now after getting back to a place where I belong.

Opening the door I see a familiar scene, people eating and drinking but more importantly faces full of expressions. Moving inside I sit down to a table and make my order.

I focus on listening hoping to strike valuable information. I can hear meaningless conversations but one makes me shift my focus only to it. My eyes open wide as I realize what it means and what will come next. 

3