Chapter Three: Unit 217
224 3 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Nobody moved or spoke, it would all have been clearer if they were notified my whole name. Someone thought it would have been funnier just giving them my last name. Alex managed to swallow back his laugher before glancing over at my reddening face. He coughed clearing his throat, but also to break the silence. The five recruits finally eased up, looking at one another with a bit of embarrassments. 

“Hey look, at least I’m not the shortest person here now,” piped up the red headed girl, flashing some rather sharp canines. At those words I shot out a glare. Short? I’m damn five foot four, it was average. Average! Everyone else in the organization is just taller than average. If I started this argument now, it’ll last the entire night and nothing will get done. 

“Yes, but one’s height doesn’t equate to rank,” I replied, waving off the comment. There was an exhale from relief, as though pressure escaped the barracks. They were still cautious of me, considering they had mistaken the vice captain for the captain. Amongst the five recruits, only one seemed to have perked up at my announcement, a darker haired man, with the figure of what you see warriors look like in Hollywood movies. When our eyes met, he passed a playful smile my way, sending a shiver down my spine, but I forced down the horror to the pit of my stomach. 

“From here on out, you lot are to be known as Unit 217. I understand each of you have differing experiences when it comes to the Underworld, some of you having lived your life on the surface, others on the first layer. Perhaps you were even found redeemable from the second layer. No matter your background, you are part of the Legion of the Sacred Ash.” 

There were a few cheers from the group. 

“Remember we are not a charity here, we have one of the top pay and benefits in the industry. Bonuses are provided for the more dangerous mission as well. Do not be afraid of prioritizing your life, it’s better to live and learn than to die.”

“Aren’t you being a bit too forward about this?” Alex asked, raising an eyebrow. 

“They’ll find out at some point, besides we’re more corporately structured nowadays for better or worse.” 

Shit. Since I was placed into the Captain role I’ll have to do quite a bit of reports and checkups during the operation. Maybe I could give most of the work to Alex. Yes, perfect, it’s just a bunch of busywork after all, idle hands allow the devil to work. My eyes shifted as I thought up such a brilliant plan.

“Indeed captain, I’ll be sure to bring you all the paperwork and that pretty red pen for marking,” he nodded in response. 

Fuck you! 

“As the captain said, we’re not a charity, we’re a for profit organization and hard work is recognized and awarded. Your past accomplishments before entering mean little, what matters is what you do from now on,” Alex responded, causing some louder cheers in acknowledgment. He does a damn better job with the whole professionalism than I ever had. 

“Our goal here is to facilitate your training with experienced backup. Normally a unit consists of five knights and pawns with support from two to three bishops. You can see the captain and I as your backup. We will be overlooking your group for the next three months as you attempt your first missions.” 

“Just avoid being the hero, cause you aren’t one,” I stepped in to make that point clear. We’ve lost good people because they thought they could do more than they could handle.

“Maybe you should listen to your own advice,” Alex whispered back to me.

“It’s calculated risk,” I hissed back under my breath. Sometimes the most reckless action is the safest, but I only learned from experience and family issues. Mainly family issues. I swear the only reason I was allowed to join an order is because my oh so amazing, chosen one, big brother found it hilarious that his little sister gets covered in monster guts. 

“Now introduce yourselves to us and one another,” I called out clapping my hands together. 

“Pawn Rei! Proud Lycanthrope, close combat specialist,” called out the red headed woman.

“Pawn Markus, just a normal human, ranged attacker, I can handle a gun well enough,” replied a stocky brown haired young man. 

“Pawn Nida, Mermaid, demolition specialist,” shouted the tall lanky woman with a chest comparable to one of my ex-girlfriend. My hand unconsciously moved towards my sad little mounds. They weren’t small...

“Pawn Shae, human also close combat specialist, mainly with a long sword,” stated the gruffest older man with a nod. 

“Pawn Saurien, half-human magic specialist at your service,” he walked forward, his silver hair practically shimmering like someone dropped a vial of glitter over his head. I prayed to some god that my worries were unfounded,  up to the point he took my right hand and placed a light peck on the back of it. Well shit...

Phew lotsa exposition in this one and that’s just scratching the surface. We’ll get there folks. Action will start back up, but it’s still a ways off before you get to meet the Female Lead. ೕ(・ㅂ・ )

4