7~ Linking Things Together
58 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

7

[Linking Things Together]

Alfred Linker

These days when Edmund comes home he seems cheerful and happier, like his old self. I wonder where he goes now. I hope he isn't meeting someone new.

Today he comes home in a very strange state. As he walks from the car to the door, he thinks deeply about something. His posture, usually upright while he is happy, is a little slouched and his face is down.

"Edmund? Are you alright?"

He looks up. "Ah, yes Alfred..." He walks up the grand stairs leading up to his bedroom. "I'll be washing up. I don't want breakfast today, Alfred."

I rolled my eyes. Okay master...

After a while, he comes downstairs dressed in his regular attire, a collar shirt and an undershirt with sweat pants. He yawns, picking up a newspaper from a fancy looking bucket at the bottom of the stairs. All of a sudden, he starts slapping his face with it still rolled up, talking to himself. "Shut up... SHUT UP!!" I chuckle at him, a little confused.

What's he thinking about now?

He repeats himself for about three minutes of "shut up"'s. He must be having a hard time today, so maybe the servants can make him his favorite for lunch.

Edmund walks to the garden area, still slapping himself, but it's a fan this time. "God damn it Edmund... stop being weird! Stop thinking about that you dirty idiot..." He talks to himself like an idiot too.

Maybe he did meet someone special again. Big deal...

What if he brings her home? Another big deal. I'm scared. Help me lord.

Maybe today I need to tell him what I'm thinking.

Or maybe I'll just slap him if he keeps slapping himself. That'll work too.

He continues to talk to himself as I walk outside. "Did I do something stupid? What if I put my hands in the wrong spot..."

I exclaim to him, "You're thinking aloud and I can hear every single word, you dirty asshole!"

He looks at me and laughs at himself.

His laugh sounds truthful nowadays. Even his smile is a bit wider. He changed a lot more than I think...

He sits at his favorite spot. I walk over to the kitchen to grab some cold tea.

I'll tell him now. "Edmund."

"Yes?"

"You seem... more happier."

"Okay."

Okay what? Tell me why. "Well... I've been wondering what you've been doing these days."

"Oh, nothing much..." He suddenly says to me. What do you mean?

"You really mean that?"

"Well- I uh- Not really anything has happened. I guess I met new people."

He meets new people that make him happier? I mix some sugar with the tea and put some ice in two cups.

"That's good.”

Oh, what a wonderful thing to hear! If he's found the right group of people, I won't have to order new suits again.

"So... May I ask you a question, Alfred?" He sighs. I put down the cups on the table and pour the tea.

"Of course." We sip some tea first before he says anything.

Then he stutters. A lot.

And he gets really nervous.

"I uh... ehhh- maybe I- no... I shouldn't... Well... eh..."

I stare at him. He's never made those kinds of noises around us before. Just say it. Spit it out.

He'd fiddle with his fingers. "D-do I... A-am I gay???!!"

The servants trimming the garden flinched in surprise, leading to a giggle. I swallow, but I cough. And choke.

"Do you what??!!"

He scratches his head. "I-"

"sO YoU'vE BEeN mEETIng UP WitH A MMMMmmmmmAAANNNN???!!!" I couldn't help myself. It's not like I'm upset or anything. Most of the women he brings home are always... rather rude or strange. But maybe being with a man might change his thinking.

He chuckles, blushing. A lot. "W-well... He's cute... b-but I don't know if I... really have feelings for him...or if I'm just, you know...?”

I don't know. "Edmund." I sigh again.

"Y-Yes...?"

"I don't give a damn if you like a man or a woman."

I take a breather for a second.

“All I care about is your health and THE HOUSE. EVERY SINGLE TIME you bring home a damn STRIPPER someone's gotta CLEAN THE PLACE AGAIN. AND YOU KNOW WHAT?"

"What..?" He looks away, his face red with embarrassment.

"I am NOT ordering anymore suits for you. YA GOT THAT?"

Edmund sighed, giggling to himself. "Okay Alfred..." He's still blushing.

My god, he likes a man now! What a change... maybe a good change. I sit back down. What a man. After his behavior changed, these weeks have been easier on me. But now I wonder who this new “lover” is.

And I still didn’t get an answer to where exactly he’s been.

2