Chapter 158: Vacation and…
464 4 15
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 174 is available for Patreons

If you enjoy this novel or have a suggestion, please leave a comment or message me to let me know! Thanks!

Join me on Discord

With all the bouncing around I now have to do, for long distances and safety I was presented with my very own personal aircraft by our member nations. My understanding is that after much arguing and some cases of literal screaming and threats, the American V22c Osprey III was chosen. It’s very fast, as in capable of cruising at Mach 7, stealthy and more than big enough for our uses. Of course, it was retrofitted for comfort.

Another part of it is that no member nation is willing to put me at risk. You wouldn’t believe the amount of problems I’ve had to step in and help solve when it comes to work or coalition members butting heads. Thankfully, Jenny helps back me up with the coalition members, and believe me, it helps a lot.

When it comes to work, there are times that, as they say, you’re too close to the problem, so a fresh pair of eyes can see the issue and help find ways to resolve it. For some odd reason, many of the coalition members think that all this will fall apart and fail without me. I’m not too sure that would happen, but convincing them of that is a different matter.

That also means additional security measures, as in, whenever we fly somewhere, we’re escorted by a flight of F-48’s. It’s overkill in my opinion, but again, telling them no isn’t an option. Especially with as belligerent as the Chinese have gotten after my meeting with their representative. Listen, in no way am I remotely sorry for the way I spoke to him, and I meant every word of what I said, but in the short time since my meeting with him, the number of clashes we’ve had with them has increased drastically. Because of that, Japan has begun a military buildup the likes of which hasn’t been seen since World War II. I’m seriously worried that the Chinese are going to start a war. America is also deploying their military much faster than originally planned because of it.

This is exactly why I wanted to put together a coalition to accomplish this. Fighting amongst ourselves isn’t going to help anyone or anything. I wish I could figure out a way to put a stop to where this seems to be headed, but I’m at a total loss. I realize I could give into the Chinese and give them exactly what they want, but then what about the next time? And, yes, if I did that, I’m quite sure there would be a next time in very short order. There’s no way I’m going to allow any one nation to dictate what happens within the coalition.

I’ve had a long talk with Jenny and others about it. Although not much was accomplished, other than after the call, I decided to set up a team of engineers to make a more compact version of the inertial damper with a self-contained power supply. Imagine what the pilot of a fighter will be able to do when they no longer have to worry about massive g-forces acting on them and their fighters. They would literally be able to turn on a dime and own the skies. I’m hoping for some progress in completing them by the time we return from Okinawa since I have no idea how long we have before the Chinese do something truly stupid.

I didn’t want to get into weapons development, but it looks as if the choice has been made for me. Mankind can be so stupid. If we truly are on the path to war, I want us to be the winning side, and I want it to end as quickly as possible.

Mama and Dad informed everyone that unless the world was literally coming to an end if they didn’t speak to me that I would be unavailable until the morning of July 8th. Amazingly enough, no one even batted an eye at their declaration.

[Monday, June 30th]

Usual routine this morning, bathing, dress, doing our hair and makeup. Afterward, we head down to join everyone for breakfast while all our bags are carried down to be loaded onto our plane. Everyone else arrives while we’re still eating. Yep, no driving to the airport since the Osprey III is a VTOL aircraft and as Dad said, keeping it on the property makes it much less likely that it can be messed with.

The flight takes all of half an hour to get us to our summer house, and part of that was waiting until we were over the ocean and circling as we waited for our escort aircraft to join us. Once they did, we accelerated to speed, and then 15 minutes later slowed back down to land. If nothing else, it does make travel a lot less time consuming.

Once at the house, we grab our bags and carry them up to our room. Quickly stripping, we waste little time applying sun block, changing into our bikinis and literally running to the beach to play. I suppose I should be used to it by now, but it’s hard to ignore the drones and increased security presence.

Everyone else soon joins us on the beach to play, until Kyoko calls us in for lunch. After resting to allow our lunch to settle, we head back out to the beach to play some more. That includes some volleyball.

Once we eat dinner, the three of us hole up in our room, and the evening is spent with me doing my best to completely exhaust Ryu and Chinatsu.

[Tuesday, July 1st]

There really isn’t much to say about today. We again spent the day at the beach, be it playing in the water, parasailing or any one of a number of other activities.

This evening, we are told by Mama and Dad to dress up since they made reservations for dinner and dancing. Of course, the food was excellent and the dancing quite enjoyable. Chinatsu and I donned matching slinky little dresses in royal blue and yellow pumps, while Ryu wore one of the black suits that we got him. I love it when he dresses up like that. Of course, all seeing him like that does is make me want to rip his clothes off and jump him.

[Wednesday, July 2nd]

Mama, Dad and our little sisters spend the morning at the beach, while my other sisters, our boyfriends, and I went scuba diving this morning. I truly love this. It almost feels like a completely different world down here. The only thing you can hear is your own breath and the feeling of weightlessness is nothing to be discounted. It’s easy to be so enthralled by the sights that it’s a surprise when the oxygen level alarm goes off.

This evening, secret service personnel begin arriving and checking over security. Apparently, the arrangements are good enough for them because the lead agent never said a word. Then they took over another room to set up communications.

[Thursday, July 3rd]

I’ve come to realize that if I thought my security was paranoid, they would have nothing on the secret service. We offered to let them use the Osprey to pick up Jenny from the airport. Suffice it to say that they politely, yet firmly, declined, and we were bluntly informed that she had her own aircraft to bring her here.

When she arrived, I took off like a shot and wrapped myself around her, which, as you can imagine, got me some rather dirty looks. I don’t care though, if they think for a single moment that I’m not going to hug my friend, then they’re crazy. Look, I’m wearing a bikini, so where do they think I’m going to hide a weapon? Plus, it isn’t as if I’m a threat to her. She’s my friend, and I’d never do anything to hurt her.

After saying hello, being introduced to Mark, and asking about her trip, I almost drag Jenny back to the house and wait for her bags to be placed into her room. Immediately thereafter, it was braiding her hair, getting sunblock and a bikini on her to drag her down to the beach. Mark lagged a little behind.

Lunch was great, as always, then Jenny and I took a seat in the livingroom to talk over a few minor issues while we let our food settle.

She starts off with, “Guess who contacted my office right before we left Washington?”

“I’ve no idea. Who?”

“MIT’s nanite labs contacted my Chief of Staff. They finished the programming to build the anchor on Suwanosejima. They said that between MIT, Cambridge and TGR they should have enough nanites built and programmed in a few weeks.”

“That was far quicker than expected. That’s good news, but we still have months before we capture and return with 19355. Then there’s mining it and building the habitation module before we can really begin building the elevator.”

“One step at a time, Sora. That’s how we do this.”

“I know. The thing is, with as belligerent as the Chinese are being, I’m afraid that this is going to turn into a full-scale war.”

She pulls me to her and hugs me. “You deal with the science and build what we need. I, and our partner nations, will deal with the Chinese. I’ve already had several talks with them. They have to know that with everyone allied together, they don’t stand a chance if they start a war.”

I look up at her with a concerned expression. “What if they go nuclear?”

She smiles at me. “That is what we have our defense satellites for.” She shrugs slightly. “They might slip a small nuke past it with a sea skimming missile or the like, but we have the means of dealing with those as well. Don’t worry so much about what can go wrong, and instead focus your attention on the things that are going right, okay?”

“Mmkay.”

“Sora, you, and your teams, have accomplished so much more than we ever imagined they would in an extremely short period of time. Keep that in mind." Releasing me, she stands up, offers me her hands and smiles. "Now, what do you say we go play some more?”

Grinning, I reply, “That’s a plan I can definitely get behind!”

[Friday, July 4]

This morning, we spend the day at the beach as usual, but after lunch, Jenny has plans for all of us. So we head upstairs to clean up, and I slip into a rather cute, pale green, bustier babydoll dress and sandals.

Now, this afternoon and evening definitely wow us. She planned a Texas style cookout. I know Texas is a state, but they have a style of cookout? She also arranged for a live band, who were great, and then there were the fireworks. The whole thing is wonderful, but the brisket and ribs, I simply adore. Honestly, I have a hard time stopping myself from eating more. They also serve potato salad, baked beans, coleslaw, and many other foods.

I ended up sandwiched between Mark and Jenny as we watched the fireworks. In my opinion, and mind you I could be wrong, but Jenny and Mark both regret not having any children. They’re still young enough to have them, but right now, I think it’s a time thing for them with her being President. Thinking of that, can she even have children? I might need to ask her sometime since, if she can’t, we might be able to fix that. Personally, I couldn’t imagine not being able to have children because I definitely want them. I might have said it before, but I want a large family, so as many children as Ryu and Chinatsu want me to have, I will. Even if I may have to hire some nannies to help us care for them all.

[Saturday, July 5th]

Today, we spent quite some time sightseeing. Mark and Jenny really seemed to enjoy it as well. Afterward, Kyoko treated us to a Japanese style cookout, which again, they seemed to enjoy the Wagyu beef and grilled veggies.

[Sunday, July 6th]

An extremely loud bang and the whole house shaking wakes us all up a bit before 4 in the morning. The three of us barely finish throwing on some clothes when security bursts into our room and literally drags us downstairs to the basement, shutting us inside with everyone else.

Seeing Jenny and Mark, I, along with Ryu and Chinatsu, make our way over to them and ask, “What’s going on?”

It’s clear to me how angry she is as she replies, “We’re under attack.”

As always: A huge thank you to all my Patreons!

15