Chapter 163: Are You?
378 2 12
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 178 is available for Patreons

If you enjoy this novel or have a suggestion, please leave a comment or message me to let me know! Thanks!

Join me on Discord

[Sunday, October 5]

I pretty much spent the whole day in bed with Ryu and Chinatsu, other than the occasional breaks for food and water. Of course, Chinatsu whined on and off about me leaving her here when I go to Washington DC. I explained, more than once mind you, that things were going to be rather busy for the time I was away and that this wasn’t a vacation. Not only am I visiting Jenny to have a talk, but, depending on what Jenny says, I am more than likely flying to Texas to have a meeting with the governor of Texas.

I’m looking forward to seeing Jenny, but what I am not looking forward to is the 14 hour time difference. I’m leaving at 10 tonight JST and will arrive on Sunday, October 5th at around 9:30 in the morning. Basically, I get to live through Sunday again.

The packing is already done, Mama and I took care of that last night. One medium sized suitcase, and several garment bags full of my outfits from casual to cocktail dresses. Mama insisted since neither she, nor I, know what kind of dinners or the like I will have to attend while there.

After we eat dinner, I begin to get ready to leave. I take a leisurely shower, and then Chinatsu helps me wash my hair. Afterward, she piles it up and pins it into place, and Ryu joins us for a long soak in the tub.

No matter what else can be said of today, it’s been very relaxing for me. Once we get out, Chinatsu helps me dry off, then blow dries and brushes out my hair. Then she braids it in my normal sidetail and uses one of the ruby encrusted bows to clip it at the bottom. After I put on my usual makeup and a medium red lipstick and gloss, we go into the bedroom for me to dress.

Thankfully, Mama picked out a comfortable outfit for me today. A white silk, long sleeved blouse and a red silk pencil skirt. Add some sheer white stockings and my white thigh boots and I look professional as well as being comfortable. Of course, Ryu says I look sexy as well. Donning my watch, engagement ring, ruby earrings, and a black velvet choker with a ruby pendant, I’m ready.

We pick up my bags and they walk me to the Osprey where Honoka is already waiting for me.

She tells me, “Security is already onboard.”

I nod. Then hug and kiss Ryu and Chinatsu goodbye and tell them I love them. Honoka takes my hand, we board and take our seats as the pilots run up the engines for takeoff. Looking out the window, I see everyone waving at me and wave back. We meet up with our escorts a few minutes later, increase speed and Japan quickly disappears from view. I’ve always wanted to be able to visit other countries, but I actually feel a little lonely as I lean my head back against the seat, close my eyes, and try to at least rest my eyes during the flight.

70 minutes later, the pilot announces that we’re on approach to Andrews Airforce Base and will be landing within 15 minutes.

I’ve already been told, and informed Jason, that they will not be allowed to be with me while I’m at the White House. Therefore, they’ve been provided an SUV and given rooms at The Capital Hilton. Saying that Jason was unhappy about it wouldn’t even begin to cover it. I’ll be watched over by the secret service during my stay. Oh, what joy. Jason, and his team, talk to and joke around with me, and I love that. I could barely get the secret service to say a word to me when we were on Okinawa. Professional they may be, but the ones I’ve met have the personality of a rock.

Jason and a couple of others carry our bags down to the waiting limo as we follow them to a waiting agent, who says, “Ms. Kobayashi. Welcome to Washington DC.”

“Thank you. You can call me Sora and this is my older sister, Honoka.”

He looks at me impassively for a moment and then, as if I had never said anything, replies, “If you’ll board, we’ll be on our way.”

See what I mean? Is it bad that I want to smack him just to see if he has another expression?

Sighing, we climb inside and he shuts the door, then climbs into the front seat. I lean close to Honoka and whisper, “These guys make me so glad that it’s Jason’s team that normally watches over us.”

She nods and pats my thigh reassuringly. “It’s alright. It’ll only be a couple of days and I’m right here.”

Scooching closer, I snuggle against her, and she wraps her arm around my shoulder. We pick up a police escort as we leave the base. There isn’t much to see since the streets have been cleared and we’re moving pretty fast. We only slow down after we enter the White House grounds. Stopping at an entrance, the agent opens the door and helps us out. He then leads us through security, which my jewelry sets off, and they use a smaller wand to verify that is what set it off. Then they do the same with Honoka.

Once they clear us, he leads us up to the Oval Office and knocks on the door. A moment later, Jenny calls out, “Come.”

He opens the door, gestures for us to go in, and then closes the door behind us. The moment she sees us, she breaks into a huge smile, walks around the desk and gives me a huge hug. “Hi, Princess.”

Hugging her back, I murmur, “Hi yourself.”

She releases me and says, “Hi Honoka.”

“Hello.”

She has us take a seat and sits across from us. It’s only been a few days, but I catch her up on events and finally say, “So, about why I wanted to see you. There are a couple of things, but first I want to ask you something.”

She nods and says, “Alright, ask away.”

Looking her in the eye, I ask, “I apologize for being so blunt here, but are you fertile?”

She smiles sadly and says, “No, I’m not.”

I reach across and take her hand. “Do you want children?”

She doesn’t even bat an eye as she replies, “Of course I did, but…”

I nod. I get it, she gave up that dream long ago when they told her she was infertile. Releasing her hand, I open my purse and pull out a jet injector. Holding it up, I ask, “Do you know what this is?’

The agent in the room begins to move. Jenny looks at him and holds up her hand. “It’s alright. My little princess would never hurt me.” She looks back at me. “That’s the fertility treatment that TGR developed, right?”

“Yes. The question is, do you want it? Before you answer me, let me explain a couple of things. It only has a 30% chance of working, but we can try it up to three times. In our trials, it has an overall 75% success rate. One more thing and this would only impact you if you decide to take it. You’ll run a fever and be extremely hungry for 72 hours after you take it. The nanites require a lot of energy to do their job. So?”

She smiles and holds out her hand in a gimme motion. “Of course I want it!”

I giggle and say, “I’d hoped you say that. Jenny, when you’re out of office I’ll have another couple of questions for you as well. I’m hoping you’ll tell me yes to them, too. Well, now that that’s settled. Next item: I need Space Watch to find another medium sized nickel-iron asteroid that is fairly close to Earth.”

“Okay, I can have them do that. May I ask why?”

“After we finish the first elevator, I want to build another. This time in Texas. Assuming I can get permission for the coalition to buy, or be ceded, the land to build it on. It’ll need to be at 30° latitude as well.”

She nods, but still looks confused. “Alright, but again, why?”

“Capacity would be the first reason, but eventually, I’d like to build an orbital ring that connects both towers.”

Her eyes widen and she states, “You never think small, do you?”

I shrug and smile. “Someone once said, ‘Go big or go home.’ When it comes to space, I don’t think we can afford to play around with half measures.”

“We’ll need to speak to Governor Cruz about the land.”

I nod. “I assumed as much.”

“Why don’t you two go to the kitchen and get something to eat. I’ll have a call made to him to call me, but it’s going to be a little while even then.”

“Okay.”

We exit her office and ask how to get to the kitchen. They tell us and Honoka and I are making our way down to the kitchen to eat when someone asks, “Ms. Kobayashi? Sora Kobayashi?”

We stop and turn to see a statuesque blonde standing there. “Yes? May I help you?”

She stands there blankly for a few moments, until Honoka clears her throat. “I apologize, but we weren’t informed you would be here.”

“Should you have been?”

“Uh… I’m Kathryn Mays from CNN. The press is usually informed when dignitaries are visiting.”

I smile as I tell her, “I’m no dignitary. I’m merely a Japanese citizen and a friend of Jenny’s.”

She laughs. “I beg to differ. You have quite the following here… Do you have time for an interview a little later? Any time you have available would be good.”

I glance at Honoka, who shakes her head. “Sorry, but no. You have a nice day though.”

I turn to leave, and she grabs my shoulder. Honoka immediately grabs her hand and places her in a wrist lock, then growls at her, “Don’t ever touch my sister! Is that understood?”

She nods while grimacing painfully. Honoka releases her with a small shove. A moment later, an agent quickly walks over to ask, “Is there a problem?”

Honoka answers before I can say a word. She points at the reporter and says, “She grabbed my sister.”

Ms. Mays says, “And you almost broke my wrist.”

Touching Honoka’s arm to get her attention, I tell her, “Let it go,” in Japanese.

He quirks an eyebrow at the reporter, then says, “Ms. Mays, I believe you had best come with me. Ms. Kobayashi, I apologize for her behavior. From my understanding, she doesn’t mean any harm, she’s merely impulsive.”

I shrug. “She should learn to control those impulses before they get her injured. Most Japanese don’t like to be casually touched. Regardless, thank you for your help.”

Honoka and I turn and continue on our way as we were directed. They made us something called a Philly Cheesesteak sandwich and french fries, which we both found to be messy, but rather good. We take our time on the way back, looking at all the art placed here and there. We get some curious looks, but no one ever says anything to us.

Back in Jenny’s office, we sit down as we wait for her to finish what she’s doing. Once she has, she comes over and sits down. Honestly, between eating and the time difference, I’m really sleepy.

“Jenny, could we have some mocha coffee? The time difference is killing me.”

She nods and leans forward to press a button on the table in front of us, a moment later, “Yes Ma’am?”

“Would you bring up some mocha coffee and 3 cups, please?”

“Certainly.”

We chat while we wait and only a few minutes later, there’s a tap on the door and Jenny calls out, “Come.”

A woman enters and sets the tray down on a sideboard. She looks at us questionly and Jenny says, “Cream and sugar for all of us.” The woman nods and makes the cups and then brings them over, setting them down in front of us. Jenny tells her, “Thank you. That’ll be all.”

She leaves, and we sip our coffee and chat until we’re interrupted by the intercom announcing, “Governor Cruz is on the line for you.”

She leans forward again and presses a couple of buttons this time. A hologram of a fairly handsome older man appears and Jenny says, “Bill, thank you for calling me back so quickly.”

He nods. “Of course, I was told it was important and that you had someone I’d like to meet.”

She moves over beside me. “Bill, Sora Kobayashi. Sora, this is the governor of Texas, William Cruz.”

Jenny laughs at his expression. A moment later, he says, “It’s a pleasure to meet you Ms. Kobayashi.”

I stand and curtsy. “The pleasure is all mine, and please call me Sora.” I take my seat again and recross my legs.

He looks at Jenny to ask, “Not that meeting Sora isn’t enough of a reason to call, but I assume that you called for a larger reason.”

“The coalition needs some land in Texas.”

He nods. “Alright. How much and where?”

I jump into the conversation. “We need seven and a half square kilometers. Uh… I mean, five square miles, on the 30th parallel, decent highway access, and ideally be somewhat isolated since there’s going to be huge amounts of traffic by both road and air around the clock when the facility is operational.”

He scratches his head. “That’s something that I would have to talk to my people about, but we have huge areas in west Texas like that. May I ask what it would be for?”

“Do you mind if I call you Bill?” He shakes his head. “Bill, that would be best discussed in person. What I can say is that Texas would stand to gain a huge financial benefit annually. Jobs, taxes and most likely new businesses.

“I’ll be staying the night here, but what if I fly to Texas tomorrow so we can meet to discuss this further?”

He grins as he replies, “A chance to meet you in person? As if you really need to ask. I look forward to seeing you. Sora, by the time you arrive I should have a list of sites that should suit your needs… Jenny, if you'll have Kelly send my staff Sora's expected arrival time, I'll make all the arrangements here.”

As always, a huge thank you to all of my Patreons.

12