Chapter 165: A Little Knowledge Is…
575 2 16
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 178 is available for Patreons

If you enjoy this novel or have a suggestion, please leave a comment or message me to let me know! Thanks!

Join me on Discord

As much as I would love to report that that was the end of it, as always, there is the political crap. Something I truly hate.

Honoka and I flew back home, and it took three days for Bill to call and inform me that Texas would be ceding the land. He was unhappy since getting the legislature to agree to cede the land cost him a lot of political capital. His words, not mine. During the call, he brought up the heavy lift airport and told me that the compromise they had reached to cede the land would include me funding the majority of it, which I agreed to do. Unsurprising, since the benefits far outweigh the cost of losing a few kilometers of empty land for them, which would now be bringing in large yearly income from the airport, expanded road taxes, jobs, and especially all of the support businesses that will pop up to support the facility. He said that he'd get back with me as soon as he signed the legislation and ended the call.

When that happens, I'm quite sure that I'll be getting an earful from Dad. He’s been quite insistent that I try to curtail the amounts I’ve been spending. What does he expect me to do though? He darn well knows that these aren’t short term investments. It’ll be a while until we see returns on them, but when we do, it’ll be centuries worth of returns.

As an aside, when Honoka and I returned, I walked into the living room where Eri and Kaede both immediately threw their arms up for me to carry them. I covered their faces in kisses and picked them up, then said hello to everyone else. They gabble at me as I hold them. God, I want babies of my own, but I know damn well that it’s going to have to wait. There are too many things going on in my life right now for me to be getting pregnant. Then, there is the promise we made to Dad as well. Maybe after I graduate from college and assuming my life has somewhat of a more normal pace, I can think about it, but that doesn't stop me from wanting them.

So, after the talk I had with Jenny, I contacted Torchlight, a social media company. I somehow got the feeling when I informed the lady I was talking to about who I was that she would have literally jumped through the phone to meet with me if she could have. It was telling to me when she asked if I was ‘THE’ Sora Kobayashi. If Texas pushed how popular I am in my face, this call reinforced that it isn’t just the US. I don’t see it, but then again, I don’t have to understand it. I merely have to deal with it.

After that, Honoka and I made our way to our bedrooms. Chinatsu was busy, so I dragged Ryu with me, and no sooner did I lay my head on his shoulder than I was out like a light. I couldn’t even tell you when Chinatsu crawled into bed with us.

 ◇ ◆ ◇ ◆ ◇ ◆ ◇

I now have a social media coordinator, one Yui Andrews. She’s 25 and half-Japanese. Quite cute with large blue eyes and long, black hair. When I talked to Torchlight, I demanded a female representative and interviewed seven of them until Dad and I settled on Yui. Not only did she pass the background check, but she’s unintrusive. What I mean by that is, she talks to us, and I find her to be quite personable, but when it comes to doing her job, she’s quiet and takes a backseat to anything that is going on.

Speaking of pictures, Yui took me to their studio the day after I hired her, and I had a photoshoot. She said there weren’t enough good pictures of me out there, so there we were. Several changes of clothes and literally dozens of pictures. The photographer and I had an...exchange of opinions. Yeah, we can call it that. She wanted me to wear some skinny jeans for some photos, and I politely informed her that I never wear them. She got kind of snide when she said that she didn’t care what I did or didn’t do, and that she was in charge there, so I would follow her directions. I darn near walked out right then and there, but calmed myself down and ‘explained’ to her that she was not going to tell me what I would or wouldn’t wear if she wanted me to continue the shoot. Her shocked expression made me smile. As you can guess, I didn’t wear any jeans, although I was nice enough to wear some hot pants for some of them.

Yui later told me that the picture of me in hot pants and a crop top was the highest rated one of the several dozen that were taken. I suppose I can see it since I thought it was rather cute as well as kind of sexy.

Of course, Yui shows up at the house early and goes everywhere with us Monday through Friday. That is her job after all. She was with me when Erica caught me on my way to my office and informed me that the nanites for the foundation of the space elevator had been delivered. I asked her to have them deployed immediately.

When Yui and I were sitting down for lunch, she asked me what a space elevator was. I need to say this, she is far from dumb since she has a bachelors degree in journalism, but not everyone follows or even gets science. So, as far as I was concerned, it was understandable that she would ask about it. It was simple enough for me to explain it to her.

Although her wide-eyed look almost had me laughing when she asked, “Can we really do that?”

“We can, and it’ll be made public knowledge fairly soon. I’ll tell you what, let’s finish eating, then I’m going to show you some of what we do here.”

After we eat, and are walking out of the canteen, I tell her, “Most of what I am going to show you can’t publish and you can’t tell anyone else.” She nods. “ I promise to let you know when you can.

“Here at DTI, we are taking a leap into the dark. New types of spacecraft propulsion systems, power systems, inertial dampening systems, which by the way, when we find a way to reduce their power consumption, they’ll likely save many lives.”

“How so?”

“Crashes are hell on fragile human bodies.” She nods. “Imagine having an inertial dampener in your vehicle when someone hits you. The dampener would reduce the g-forces of the impact to something you can easily survive.” I stop and look at her expectantly. “Do you want to see something that will amaze you?”

“Is it more amazing than inertial dampeners?”

“Much! Though, honestly, it doesn’t look like much.”

Leading her out the back door and across the quad, I bring her to the power building. Inside, I take her to the back of the building, waving at several people we pass that I recognise. Stopping in front of it, I gesture to it. “What do you think?”

She has a blank expression as she looks at me to ask, “That… What is it?”

“Yui, what you are looking at is a fifty terawatt cold fusion reactor. This small plant powers all of Tokyo prefecture. They're already planning to double the generation capacity since we use a lot of power here for some of our experiments.”

“Aren’t power plants normally, like, huge?”

I nod. “And, nowhere near the generation capabilities of this little miracle. Clean, no waste products, very little noise and maintenance free. I’m sure you’ve noticed the large drop in your electric bill.”

She nods again. “I did and thought it was a mistake until I called them.”

I smile at her. “Well, this is the reason why. Every business and individual in Tokyo prefecture could turn on every single one of their appliances, heater at maximum, and every single light, and it wouldn’t stress this plant in the least.”

“You’re right, this is amazing.”

“The only issue is that we have to get back to the moon because this is powered by helium-3, which is quite rare on Earth, but fairly abundant on the moon. We’re also researching other methods of generating power, but for now, this is what we’re using.”

She looks at me wide-eyed and eagerly asks, “What else do you do here?”

I laugh and then smile as I tell her, “Yui, do you know what I meant when I said we were taking a leap into the dark?” She shakes her head and I point up. “I was referring to space. We’re taking humanity into space. A moon base, habitats, spaceports, colonies on other planets and moons, and gathering resources from the asteroid belt.”

She shakes her head in wonder. “Why aren’t you telling people about all of this? It’s amazing!”

“We have very good reasons for not telling people, but basically, it’s been classified at the highest levels and you can’t tell anyone anything about what I am showing you. If you did, the government would likely throw you, and them, into a deep, dark hole for a very long time to come.

“Have you ever heard the quote, ‘A little knowledge is a dangerous thing. It's much easier to be brave when you don't believe that the monster under your bed is real.’ Knowledge can be as dangerous as it is enlightening. Ignorance is bliss for a reason, because knowing can be terrifying… Yui, most people are content to wander through their lives blissfully unaware of everything that it takes for them to live their lives. They literally don’t care because not caring makes their lives easier. They don’t want to know either. Far be it from me to burst the bubbles that they live their lives in. Sometimes, not telling people certain things that you know is the best course of action. Do you get what I’m telling you?”

“I think so. You’re basically saying that if I knew something that I knew would hurt you to find out, that it would be best to keep that knowledge to myself.”

I shake my head. “That’s not really what I meant. Alright, let's put it this way: if I knew for a fact that you were going to die in a car accident tomorrow and nothing you could do would change that fact, would you want to know?”

“No… No, I wouldn’t.”

“The same holds true for society as a whole. Knowing that something horrible is going to happen would cause panic and riots. Society would break down because underneath that superficial facade of civilization, humans are creatures that wouldn’t bat an eye at killing another if they thought that it would extend their lives by even a single second. Never forget that.” When I see her expression, I reach out and touch her arm gently. “I’m sorry, I wasn’t trying to upset you.”

“It’s alright. I get what you’re trying to tell me. You really are a genius, aren’t you?”

“That’s what they tell me… Now, how about I show you something that will blow your mind?”

“Sora, I get that you’re telling me that you’re working hard to stop something terrible from happening, and don’t worry, I won’t say anything, but how does knowing that not bother you?”

I turn to look at her and smile brightly, “Who says that it doesn’t? I’m scared to death, but probably not for the reasons that you might think. I’m afraid of failing and letting the people I love down. So, I’m choosing to believe that my people and I will be able to stop it. Yui, choosing to believe that something can be done is the first step in doing it. Belief is a powerful thing, and you have to believe in yourself to accomplish anything.”

She shakes her head. “Sora, you’re an incredible young lady.”

[Friday, October 17]

Today is Chinatsu’s 15th birthday.

I don’t go into DTI since spending the day with Chinatsu and celebrating her birthday is far more important to me.

This morning is spent with Mama taking us girls shopping. There’s really nothing to be bought, it’s merely us being together and doing something that we enjoy. Chinatsu does get her hair trimmed since it’s starting to get somewhat uneven. Other than that, it’s an uneventful, albeit enjoyable, day.

I might mention that this evening, a Korean girl group, Quints, that Chinatsu dearly loves will be performing at her party. Dad was having a hard time with their management until he told them to hold on, came to get me and I talked to them. Apparently, being somewhat of a celebrity has its perks. They agreed to perform with the stipulation that they get to film the event. I readily agreed, even if I didn’t really like the intrusion into our private lives. We have little enough privacy as it stands, and it’s steadily getting worse. Whatever though, as long as it makes Chinatsu happy, then I’m all for it.

Anyway, back at home we change into our dresses and make our way down to the party. It’s the usual for us. Dancing, talking and generally having a great time. I did have words with the director of the film crew after they repeatedly shoved the camera in my face. My Korean is still sketchy at the moment, but I think he got the gist that I wasn’t going to tolerate them doing that.

This year, I am giving Chinatsu’s birthday toast. I asked Dad for permission, and he gladly gave it. So, when Dad indicates that it’s time, I take Chinatsu‘s hand and lead her to the central table.

I loudly call out, “If I can have everyone’s attention, please!” I wait a few moments for them to quieten down. “Thank you. Everyone, please be sure to have a drink.

“I’m going to keep this short because if I start talking about all of the great things about Chinatsu, I’ll never be able to shut up.”

I turn to look at her. “Chinatsu, I’ve been given the gift of you being by my side for another year. I can never fully express how grateful I am to you for all of the love and support you give me every single day. I can only thank God that he has allowed a woman like you to be in my life. I doubt you even realize just how beautiful you are, both inside and out, but I do. Your grace and beauty literally awe me. Now and forever, you have my enduring love.”

I raise my glass of champagne as I turn to look at our guests. “Let’s all raise our glasses in honor of this amazing woman whose presence on this planet has made it a more pleasant place to be.” I look back at Chinatsu. “You, my beloved sister, are the most priceless treasure in my life. Nothing in heaven, nor on earth, could ever take your place in my heart. Happy birthday!”

We touch glasses and take a sip. Then I lean close and whisper, “I love you.”

She smirks as she says, “I know.”

I grin as I reply, “I may be a princess, but you’re no Han Solo, so don’t try to be a smartass. That’s my job.”

We set down our glasses and begin cutting her cake. Then we pass it out to the guests. A little while later, she opens her presents.

Mine is a bracelet made of platinum with three interconnected hearts. She looks at me with tears in her eyes and mouths, ‘I love it.’

I knew she would when I had them make it.

As always, a huge thank you to all of my Patreons.

16