Epilogue – Tomorrow Never Knows
1.2k 11 56
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It’s crazy to see how far I’d gotten over the last six years.

After that…eventful prom night, things mostly settled down, and for the last two years of high school, I pretty much just lived like any other teenage girl would. I don’t mind though - considering how tough life was before, having a boring couple years was a welcome change. Just like before, Lily invited me to prom both years as well, though this time it was a bit less…exciting, shall we say.

A highlight was certainly being announced Homecoming Royalty, thanks to a tireless campaign by Lily and my friends. It was actually quite funny looking back in hindsight, as Lily was wondering why there were extra seats on the girls side of the court, before the names “Lily Smith and Luna Garcia!” were announced, to uproarious applause. I think we were the first lesbian couple to be announced royalty at our school, which only added to my pride (no pun intended).

Speaking of pride, after that moment at homecoming, me and Lily decided to get together with the school to create a Gay/Straight Alliance. Both of us served in separate administrative roles such as President, Treasurer, and creating a space for other LGBT kids to find themselves was such a heartwarming feeling.

I continued to stay with it in softball the next two years, and before I knew it, in my senior year, I saw a few coaches watching me from the stands, who took note of my amazing stats that year. My junior year was all about getting my defensive package together, but senior year was where it all clicked, and I’d become the complete package. Eventually, I was lucky enough to get a full-ride scholarship to go to University of California, Berkley, which when my girlfriend got accepted as well, I knew was the right choice.

At college, my softball skills only developed further, and our team actually made it to the Women’s College World Series one year, only to be defeated in the regionals. Outside the game though, visiting all the locales for games was an absolute treat, and I got to visit cities like Seattle, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Salt Lake City, and Denver, all thanks to the team’s conference rivals. Lily joined along with me for a few of those trips, getting to enjoy things like the Rocky Mountains or Disneyland, and living out her dreams.

My college years weren’t all spent on softball, however. After getting my generals out of the way in my first year, I chose to go after my childhood dream of game design, and worked hard towards getting a degree in Computer Science, with a minor in visual arts. I may have been one of the only girls in the program, but that honestly just fueled me to work even harder and better. Alongside that, me and Lily kept with choir all four years, and in my last two, I had the honor of being a part of the Chamber Choir. I was really quite busy with the softball, choir and education, but I relished in all of it. Lily meanwhile had always wanted to go into teaching, and so she began work towards getting her degree in Elementary Education.

We’d decided to move into a dorm together, which was one of the best decisions we could have ever made, and it only took our relationship further as we now lived with each other 24/7. After a year, we moved out on our own, and stayed together. Having one of us home waiting for the other always made the hardest days worth it. Once we felt settled enough, we even bought a dog together - a cute little Shetland Sheepdog named Sparky, whom we loved so dearly.

Eventually after a bunch of hard work, we both were set to graduate after 4 years, me with honors and her with high honors. We were all set to move out to Seattle post-graduation. I’d had a job lined up to work for Nintendo themselves on a yet-to-be-announced game for the Switch, while Lily had found herself with a job at a nearby elementary school. It was a scary decision to move so far away, but considering both of us ended up at dream jobs, and that Seattle had so much to offer for outdoor recreation, LGBT activism, technology, and so on, it was a no-brainer, after a conversation with our parents, respectively.

And here we are, at Lily and I’s college graduation party at a particular restaurant in town. I honestly thought in my darkest days in high school I’d never make it this far. Everyone was here. Our old friends, Sarah, Chloe, Desiree, Abby, and even some of my old friends whom I hadn’t talked to for a while, like Chase or Erik were there as well. Or should I say Erika. Yes, after coming to the GSA we’d created, me and Erik talked a long while about gender identity, and at that point, she decided she’d transition first thing she could after she moved out, and I couldn’t be more proud of her. I got lucky with my transition method, but she looked stunning as well, and happier than she’d ever been during high school. My parents and grandparents were all here, along with my sister Emma, and her now husband, Michael. She’d settled on a degree in business, and with her husband started a wonderful restaurant in our hometown, which we were hosting tonights event at!

The scene was perfect - everyone who was important to my development was here.

Everyone, that is, except my Lily, until I heard a cup ringing, and the seas of people at our party parting to reveal her.

And there she was. My Lily.

On one knee. Holy shit!

“Luna, you’ve been the absolute best girlfriend I could have ever asked for, and I’m the luckiest woman ever for getting to be with you. You’re so beautiful and sweet, and I never want to go another day without being by your side. Luna Gabrelle Garcia…will you marry me?”

I was absolutely stunned into silence, tears poking at the edges of my eyes. Was this really happening?

I couldn’t say anything, as my throat seized up, so I did the only thing I know how in that time and moment - nod my head vigorously, before embracing my girlfriend, no, my fiancé into a giant hug. She places her engagement ring around my finger, before settling in for another hug. Meanwhile, the entire crowd gathered at our graduation party erupts into a vicious cheer. My parents especially break through the masses to engulf me and Lily in hugs.

“We’re so proud of you, Luna. You’re the best little girl we could have ever asked for!”

And the dams had bursted once again, as I’m crying happy tears onto my mom’s shoulder, while she rubs my back. A similar scene was going on with Lily and her parents. Eventually, after all the hubbub quiets down, and most people return home, me and Lily make our way out onto the balcony of the restaurant we’d rented out for this event.

I looked up at the stars, and could only thank them for granting me the one wish I’d had for them. Closing my eyes, I thought of the song we sang that year in high school, and the words from it:

There will be rest, and sure stars shining
Over the roof-tops crowned with snow,
A reign of rest, serene forgetting,
The music of stillness holy and low.
I will make this world of my devising
Out of a dream in my lonely mind.
I shall find the crystal of peace, – above me
Stars I shall find.

I found my star. And I’m never going to let it go.

Thank you.

END.

56