Chapter 2: Suspicion and Deception
337 3 19
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

While the Orphanage did permit privileged children like Dalis to carry weapons or have weapons stored in their inventories, not many of the actual orphans actually had one. Most weapons were borrowed from the Training Facility of the Orphanage.

Dalis was in this category.

The weapon he had used in yesterday’s training was inside the Training Facility. After all, it was not his to begin with.

Hence.

It was at this moment he knew—

—He fucked up.

He did not have time to think.

All he could do was tense, put his guard up and be ready to defend himself from the brunt of an oncoming attack.

Yet.

The beast did not even spare a glance at the figure in front of him.

It was as though that someone of Dalis's calibre was beneath its regards.

Thus, not only did the beast do nothing to stop Dalis’s advancement in mid-air, in fact, the beast just grazed past Dalis and continued onwards as if nothing happened. 

Dalis felt he was pushed by a passing heavy breeze, but not to the extent of being forced to the ground. 

In the end, he pathetically and rather anti-climatically stumbled down to the floor. 

If it weren’t for the beast still on a rampage, there would definitely be an awkward silence. 

However in reality, the situation was serious.

As soon as he landed, he rotated his body and gazed to the Jangero, remaining vigilant.

The beast was ferocious, using its mighty horns and widening its maw to crunch and pierce a woman clad in the dark blue habit of a Sister.  

Its target was Mother Michelle?!

The onslaught was so frightening and focused that it appeared absolutely determined to literally break Mother Michelle into minced meat. 

Faced by an indomitable assault, Mother Michelle’s overlooked prowess came to light. 

“How daring of you to target me, foolish!” 

With impeccable, agile maneuvers and skilled footwork, she nimbly weaved through the attacks, dodging them. 

Her movements caused Dalis’s eyes to widen in alarm. 

Through his Inherent Talent, ‘Greater Keen Eyesight’, which was a stage above ‘Keen Eyesight’, his exceptional eyes were able to vividly discern and dissect the insane fluidity of her body movements. 

A white glow was radiating from her feet, emitting illusive white feathers within the glow. Looking at them made her steps appear like graceful fleeting wings of a dove.

But Dalis did not believe that this was simply from the result of the skill she used. 

To Dalis, it was too masterful and honed; a professional even.

Much of her dodging movements were close-calls that one slip would conclude in fatality. 

That woman’s dexterity must be extremely high too.

The beast became increasingly aggravated from failing to hit her, and its attack pattern became crazed.

Mother Michelle, who appeared to have had the game in her hand, became flustered. She found it very difficult to fend off attacks after the beast’s change from frenzy to straight up unpredictable, erratic thrashings.

General Zelgius and later other Vanquishers had finally gone into the fray to assist Mother Michelle. 

While the events ensued Dalis continued to observe, but his mind drifted elsewhere. 

There is something unusual at work. Although the beast is seemingly attacking with no sense of direction, the offensive is still largely retained on her. It’s too far-fetched to be a coincidence. 

He cupped his chin and resumed his pondering.

From the very beginning, the Jangero escaping was a little suspicious. Why did it escape now of all times? Was it on a whim? No, this proud beast is not mindless. It does have some intellect and it should be more so now considering it’s either a mutant or an evolved Jangero. So attempting to break out when its strongest foe, General Zelgius, was not around, can be considered a grand opportunity for the beast as it seems to be able to shrug off the other Vanquishers with ease. 

Glaring intently at the fight, his eyes rested on Mother Michelle.

However, once it jumped out, instead of running away, it actually sprang for an assault. Yet, did not aim to strike at its strongest foe. On top of that, I who was in its passage was only grazed aside? It’s too unbelievable. Moreover, the damages caused to the surrounding are doubtfully negligible.

Dalis drawed three logical conclusions from this. One of which he did not believe at all. In fact, he was distasteful of it to a degree he found it loathsome. He had only appended it in consideration of the majority mindset. 

  1. It’s a beast. This was self-explanatory.
  2. The Jangero may have a deep enmity with Mother Michelle. 

Dalis swept his hawk-like eyes towards the crowd of people and intensively scanned the crowd.

With his powerful perception, it was not long before he found his targeted sight.

“The most plausible and logical reasoning. Someone is actively controlling the beast to target her.” Dalis’s eyes glinted, and a small satisfied grin was carved.

Two familiar frames were approaching him, but Dalis had no intention to pay attention to them. 

Without a word of explanation, Dalis smoothly entered into the large gathered crowd. 

“Young boy are you okay?”

“Do you have any injuries? Are you hurt?”

“I am fine. Thank you. There is something I must attend to. Please do not worry yourselves over me.” Dalis politely shrugged off the concerned residents and mingled himself into the crowd, leaving them bewildered from his abrupt departure. 

Squeezing through unhurriedly, he took the long way around, taking time to blend himself into the crowd in order to conceal his presence. 

Stealthily and quietly like the stalking steps of an assassin, he approached the deep dark-blue hood-robbed figure. The attire was so dark in colour that one would likely make the mistake of calling it black.

Most surprising of all was that the figure’s supposedly long hair dangling from the hood. Perhaps it was because of this that they did not draw any attention to themselves.

He had tried to catch a glimpse of this figure’s side view of their face, but besides the hair, he was unable to make out any details even with his powerful eyesight.

Two metres. 

In the figure’s hand, he could see a strange ancient-looking book held close. From the covers, it faintly glowed in the lines of the cryptic patterned inscriptions imprinted on the book. It seemed to flow in correspondence to the swaying movements of her free hand. 

He stood behind the figure, unnoticed. 

The best solution to apprehend this perpetrator is to attack, knock him down, and restrain him. That way, even if the figure could get out of his grasp, as long as he shouted that this figure was the culprit, there will be people quick to assist.

However Dalis did not do that. 

He had his own self-interest motives, inexplicable to him.

“Do not move.”

The sudden voice caused the figure to be startled.

“If you turn, I will kill you.” Those cold words froze the perpetrator’s motions. Murder, here? Who could this person be? she thought.

“How fortuitous it is to encounter somebody like you here.”

Someone aligned with those fanatical bastards? The figure went stiff from Dalis’s words and asked, “Senior, there are many other ways to go about this aren’t there? Won’t it be troubling for you here?”

Dalis was slightly perturbed of being referred to as a ‘senior’. Deriving the tone of the voice, he found it sounded modulated and pitched. He assumed that the figure was a lady.

“It does not trouble me.” 

Dalis’s reply caused her to be struck with great alarm.Are you serious? You may commit such a reprehensible deed away from the public eyes. But I know that you lot will definitely be unable to handle the repercussions of that without outcry.

“You seem to not understand your position.” “Do you wish to try me?” he emphasised.

Her back in threat of death was bathing in cold sweat, knowing that he may really kill her. He must be one of those crazy fanatics who think they can get away with anything! Indignation and injustice flared anger, but her mind did not stop thinking of a solution to appeal to him. 

“Senior, we know that woman has been snooping around and overstepping her boundary.” The volume of her voice gradually went quieter. “While we cannot deny that her existence is vital for the Orphanage, we are sure there are plenty of capable Sisters suited to succeed her.”

To this despicable, vile, untrained, lunatic, being blunt would be the best choice. She could only hope that he could understand the bigger picture and let his sinful interests slide.

Interesting. Dalis was intrigued by the revelation. Obviously, he understood what she was alluding to. On another note, he had to admit that he was tempted due to his intuition of that Mother Michelle being dangerous. 

However, that would be going against his principles.

So thus, he strove to dig for more interesting information. 

“Mother Michelle is not an asset that can simply be easily replaced.”

Dalis, up close, saw her robes tremble after his words. Did she find out? He adjusted himself to prepare to flee if needed and pushed on the conversation. “We will be losing more than we gain. What can you offer?”

She was stunned. 

How cold was this person? 

Or rather, his attitude was unalike them. 

Eyebrow raised, she was starting to doubt that this person was, in fact, not actually a part of them. Her bottling anger was partially dispersed and added with traces of suspicion. 

“We will offer 6000 gold coins as well as pay for the repairs in damage.” 

“Money cannot buy talent.” Dalis shot back. 

A merchant? A Businessman? Those were the first thoughts that sprung to her mind. His answer isn't particularly suspicious but… 

She thought carefully and decided to test the waters. 

“In addition, we can present some terms to allow you people to borrow a party to aid you in the subjugation of the demonic beasts.”

Dalis pretended to deliberate and then nodded his head. “That proposal can be given thought.”

“. . .”

I—

I have been tricked! 

He’s not part of them!! 

Her eyes widened. 

Let alone the idea of working together, these fanatics would enslave her people. If he was someone hired, he would certainly question the perceived collusion between them and those demons, which was the most natural response. 

Dalis scrutinised the silent figure. Unease swelled. It was difficult to maintain his ambiguous bluffs without knowledge of her. Moreover, he couldn’t see her facial expressions. He felt that as the conversation dragged on, he was losing his latch on her. 

Should I end it here?

Huh?

What is—

His arm reflexively caught a hold of his drifting forehead.

He felt the entire world transform into a muddle. Dizziness began to overrode his head, and he felt very sluggish, dropping to his ankles. 

 

[You have been struck by an Unknown Mental Attack!] 

 

[You have been Greatly Slowed (Speed cut by 35.7%).] 

 

[You have been Greatly Nauseated.] 

 

A list of sentences popped up. 

There were statuses affecting him.

Then, he saw the perpetrator turn to him, and stare fixedly for a while.

They were finally face to face.

But he could not make anything out of it from the nausea. 

Her arm slowly extended out.

It was not an arm to help him stand up.

Damn it. I was careless. Was it her? No, it must’ve been someone else. She had colleagues after all. How did they . . . find out? Ah, I can't think properly . . .

The effects were too great.

He could only resentfully stare as the hand of the reaper closed in.

His bated, warm breaths blowing into her palm. 

“Dalis!”

Huh?

The arm was snapped back as fast as lightning.

When the children closed in, they discovered Dalis waddling about.

And the figure had disappeared without a trace.

Saved . . .

Yet, the dizziness remained and it felt harsher, making him unable to articulate anything but slurred speeches to be voiced. The system corresponded and raised the effects’ wording from 'Greatly' to 'Sharply'

Stilla and Melvin felt something was amiss. 

But unlike Melvin who had it rested in the back of his mind, Stilla took action. 

She tried to look for help, but she was halted in her tracks from Dalis’s clutched arm. Although she attempted to resist, the gripping pressure coerced her to reluctantly concede in seeking outside aid.

“Dalis! Your injuries must be serious ! Come on, let’s get someone to check on you.” 

If they were in a party, they would know Dalis was under negative statuses and that his HP had hardly been damaged at all.

To Dalis, it was a lucky thing.

“I am not wounded.” Indifferently, he added, “Why are you acting so serious?” 

Stilla jumped in astonishment, and Melvin craned his neck as though he had expected it all this time. 

They saw the ‘injured Dalis’ stand perfectly straight, tilt his head, and look at them dumbly. 

“Hmph insect. Would it kill you to forgo your immaturity on such an occasion? Deplorable. I expected nothing less from you insect.” Finding his precious time wasted from Dalis’s usual antics, Melvin, vexed, immediately left.

“Dalis . . . Big Sister wants to meet up with you later, okay? Don’t try to run or I will ask Sister Edna to help me.”

Dalis slowly nodded his head without question; all colour drained from his aloof face.

The fact that she did not choose to stay and watch over him in case, otherwise, was clear to Dalis at how angry, no how incensed she was. 

Watching her leave, he heaved out a deep sigh. He could have weaseled and twisted his words to explain himself, but he was running out of time. 

According to the System, the effects have ended, but the accumulated fatigue on his body were naturally not recovered. 

Enduring the lingering effects, he briskly trekked towards the battle. 

 

***

 

“Sir, it’s no use! The beast is too strong to be contained! We can’t force it to yield without causing some losses to incur to the households.”

“I’m aware Sonnia!” Without taking his eyes off the beast, General Zelgius thrusted another hefty jab of his flaming, orange lance to the beast. 

However, the Jangero merely growled in retaliation, angrily turned, and shook off its abrupt pained moment, concentrating its attention on the woman he had to mash into mincemeat. 

It glared aggrievedly at the wall of Vanquishers that barricaded her in its path. But once again without a care, it used the sheer size of its body to ruthlessly smash through, shattering barriers and causing the formation to be broken. 

“Raise the shields again!”

“Protect Mother Michelle!”

“No use! My fellow body consolidators, take to the front!”

As shouts were thrown left and right, the screams of brutally tossed Vanquishers mixed in. Those recognised as body consolidators sprung to the front and used their robust body constitutions as meat shields to protect the others. 

Things were looking grim.

There was just not enough space to face the beast properly, and the risk of friendly fire was pretty much guaranteed. Naturally, nobody was willing to have an attack hit their own comrades by mistake, especially in the eyes of the anxious residents. 

Ideally, they would lead it into an open field, but that was a little too far from the residential area. They could not imagine how much damage it may inflict to the surroundings on the way there. 

Three wooden houses were already devastated in the process. One of them had their roof tilted and was liable to collapse in the next collision. 

General Zelgius gritted his teeth and resolved himself. “Commander Sonnia and Commander Nicola. Gather up the protectors in preparation for defence, and the able-bodied troops that are resistant to the flames from my lance.”

“Yes sir!”

“Roger that General!”

Commander Sonnia immediately departed to fulfill the order. Commander Nicola asked one question before following through, too, with the duties. “How should they be aligned?” 

“File them in tandem. In a way that ensures the safety of our surroundings are prioritised. Make sure to fortify our best defences behind the beast and areas of residential at most risk of damage.”

“Shield wall General, roger!” Nicola left after receiving an affirmative nod from his superior. 

. . . 

. . . 

“Are the preparations complete?!” General Zelgius asked while careening from a leaping attack from the beast. 

The approaching Vanquisher stopped and replied swiftly, “Yes sir! Commander Nicola and Commander Sonnia have finished with the preparations.” 

“Good. Return quickly.”

As the Vanquisher took his leave, General Zelgius forced the beast’s attention onto him by delivering a salvo of thrusts to both of its heads, targeting the area around its precious, proud horns.

ROAR! ROAR! ROAR!

The taunt was successful. 

It could not let the residual scorching flames at its foreheads be quietly extinguished without some payback!

“Beast! Your rampage will now be quelled.” Slipping into a stance as though he was about to throw a javelin, he gazed at the beast with a determination which reflected his new state of combat readiness.  

“Oh Blazing Lance of Vanquish, treasured weapon of the fallen Vanquish Hero Magfire. I implore, for the land of our Lord Caleyar and the citizen’s resided, to awaken thyself, with some of thee former strength.”

. . . 

. . . 

Ding!

 

[The remnant spiritual essence within the Lance of Blazing Vanquish has heard your plea. 35% of its former strength can be temporarily wielded.] 

 

Everyone felt the air turn dry and a quick heightening of the area's temperature.

Eyes became glued to the lone warrior who stood alone against the fearsome 2-headed Jangero.

Dormant flames that ferociously blazed the past lands with crimson showers were reawakened.

In the lone warrior's hand, there wielded an enchantingly beautiful, orange lance that ignited with an exuberant, flaming lustre. Incomparable to the usual 8% of power that the warrior could wield.

Its mesmerising, heat-felt flames caused many of the stationed Vanquishers to instinctively deploy their protections; some protections were brought up prematurely.

Hyaaaaaaaa!!!!

The mighty, valorous warrior charged. 

As the weapon gained momentum from his run, flames danced wildly in the wind, appearing to rekindle with a fervent vigour that assimilated with the spirit of the warrior. 

The beast detected a foreboding danger. But as a proud member of its race, it would unyieldingly take on the warrior’s attack. It lowered its heads and pointed its grooved, striped, black horns in preparation to clash with the incoming lance.

ROAR! ROAR! ROAR! ROAR! ROAR!

However, before it was even remotely close to meet the warrior’s attack, the beast started to erratically twist and turn its body on the spot.  

ROAR! ROAR! ROAR! ROAR! ROAR!

CRACK!

 

***

 

GYAAaaaaaaaaaaaa

An agonising pang cracked into her mind. It was so sudden and utterly painful that her agony was vocalised. Albeit, it was only let out to the world for a brief instance as the rest of her screams were muffled by a muscular hand. 

The robed man’s expression contorted, and he sighed. He quickly took her away and informed the rest that control had been lost.

“We should directly interfere now,” a voice said.

The robed man agreed. 

As he began to initialise the backup plan, he suddenly called it off.

“Don’t tell me they are beginning to move?” another voice spoke.

The robed man said 2 words. 

And that was adequate enough to cease the entire operation. 

 

***

 

Released from its heavy chains, the Jangero felt a great exhaustion weigh itself down. 

It was forced to fight without a break, and the minute recovered injuries had torn open. 

Tantamount to its injuries was its mind that felt like it had been shattered into thousands of glass pieces. 

The beast knew this would likely be its last moments. 

But it wouldn’t go down without glory to the Jangeros. 

ROARRRRRRR!!!

Resisting till the end, it gathered up its final ounces of mana to its precious two horns.

Vanquishers felt their heart sink rock bottom when they saw what the beast was doing; they yelled out to General Zelgius, warning of the incoming attack.

The warrior arched his back in the air at the same time as his eyes met with a blinding white sphere that crackled and sizzled. 

Your lightning or my strike of fire. Let us see who will come out on top.

HYAAAAAAA!!!

BOOM!!

. . . 

. . . 

 

Thanks for reading! Enjoyed the chapter? Leave a ❤️ to show me your appreciation!

19