Chapter 8: Sister Edna’s Advice Part 2/2
176 6 15
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Dalis's demeanour suddenly underwent a drastic change. 

The presence emitted was not one a young boy should have. 

It emanated power.

Charisma.

Authority.

And semblance to a distinguished standing? 

Sister Edna, who had inexplicably noticed this sudden change, felt the person she was standing before him was not Dalis. 

Or was this the real Dalis?

The System was silent. 

"Sister Edna, there was warmth. Warmth amidst the cold.”

Sister Edna could not understand. But she did not interrupt.

“But even more than that . . .” Dalis paused. There was no point continuing along that line. So instead, he expressed something else. “I believe I was very likely to be wounded severely during that time. The feeling of pain from being stabbed occurs to mind."

To not worry her, he decided not to disclose and describe the details of the feeling. 

"That is certainly strange. When Mother Michelle brought you back 3 years ago, you did not seem to have such wounds," Sister Edna said. Oddly, her tone had altered to be a little respectful.

"Allow me to reaffirm, Mother Michelle was the person who had discovered me in the borders of the Land of Demons?"

"Yes, she was the one who picked you up."

"She stated that I was barely conscious at the time. To the extent where I could barely talk."

"That is so . . . The first time we were able to know about who you are as a person, was when you woke up in the infirmary. You had lost entirely any memory of who you were as a person. Yet, that was all. You were able to communicate, understand, think, and adapt to the environment around you much like anybody of your age. Though you were very reclusive and taciturn.”

Dalis nodded. He cupped his chin. “Mother Michelle was also the one to inform you my name was Dalis, am I correct?"

"Yes, she was the one who introduced you as Dalis. She said that you mentioned it to her after managing to remember your name."

" . . . When did this occur?" My name was not given?!!!

"It was when she picked you up. Before you arrived at the infirmary." 

Sister Edna had an uncanny feeling. The conversation was heading in an unpleasant direction. 

"Why would I have mentioned to her that I managed to remember my name? Did I perhaps briefly fall unconscious and then after awakening tell her that I was unable to recall a thing, with the exception of my name? Or was I from the very beginning unable to remember who I was?"

"E-Eh? Wait, your big sister can’t follow." Sister Edna panicked in confusion. 

"Did she ever mention anything about this?" Dalis questioned, raising an eyebrow.

"No, Mother Michelle did not mention such a thing . . . I didn't even consider such a thing . . . "

That Mother . . . She likely knows something or perhaps is hiding something Dalis thought.

The room turned eerily silent for a while. Even the slight sound of a pin dropping could be heard.

"Sister Edna has Mother Michelle asked anything particular about me?"

Sister Edna was a little hesitant, but she told Dalis the truth.

"Yes she did, but it wasn't anything concerning. Much of it was small talk such as wanting to know about your wellbeing. However, there was indeed one particular request she handed to me that may be in question."

"Could it perhaps be in regards to my mana seed?" Dalis guessed. 

"Ah, you are correct Dalis. Mother Michelle wanted me to report back about the state of your mana seed. Though she said that it wasn't necessary to let her know right away. Rather, there wasn't a time limit."

Not right away . . . then it may mean I'm just overthinking too much. Maybe she’s worried that it may be deemed deformed? Or . . . Mother Michelle may be intentionally hiding things. Perhaps the degree of importance is not to her concern. Perhaps as long as things stand the way they're as of now, then nothing needs to be revealed?

Dalis's intuition was ascertaining him that Mother Michelle holds the key towards learning about who he is. 

"Will big sister examine my mana seed?" Dalis asked, virtuously.

Sister Edna was in a deadlock. 

On the one hand, she had been ordered specifically to check the mana seed of Dalis. On the other hand, it was natural as his Sister to be up to date with Dalis's progress. After all, Sisters are in charge of overseeing the development of the children they are allocated to.

Yet whichever option she chose, she was forced to contend with a sense of guilt. It was likely that the relationship between them would deteriorate due to the circumstances if she were to check his mana seed.

Dalis, who saw Sister Edna in a pickle, couldn't help but force himself to make a gracing comment.

"Sister Edna. If you'd like to examine my mana seed, then you are more than welcome to. After all you're one of—No, you are my big sister. I lay my trust in you."

Hearing this, Sister Edna felt a mountain of guilt weigh on her mind. 

How could she be so stupid for thinking along those lines?

"As your big sister I have disappointed you Dalis." Sister Edna shook her head to dispel her past self.

Sister Edna approached Dalis and placed the palm of her hand onto Dalis's chest. A faint, magical, blue glow appeared around the contours of her hand. Sister Edna Edna glimpsed into Dalis's body and detected the mana seed. 

The mana seed was seen to be vigorous and a little larger than regular mana seeds. This tends to be an indication of the individual's aptitude being higher than the average. Sister Edna would be overjoyed to see her child be lucky enough to have such characteristics. 

Though reality was cruel.

Dalis's mana seed was dormant and did not appear to have any signs to indicate a prospect of transformation. Dalis may be one of the few people in this world to never be able to undergo a transformation in their lifetime. 

A deformed mana seed.

Sister Edna's face was immersed with sorrow and a great sense of pity. To Sister Edna, Dalis was one of her most treasured children, in actual fact, Dalis was her favourite. 

While it may seem wrong for a caretaker to have preferences over another, Dalis was an exception. 

Perhaps it's due to her kindness and care, Dalis would always look after her in some way or another whether it was subtle or direct. Dalis would always seem to appear to know when she was in trouble and actively attempt to aid her in her problems. Dalis’s maturity for his age accompanied by his reliability was mystifying for Sister Edna. 

Sometimes she would even subconsciously rely on Dalis, and Dalis would exploit this as if to allude to her that she should depend on him. 

Fortunately, that saddened face of Edna could not remain for much longer as Sister Edna had discovered a very eccentric matter about Dalis's body.

It was unlike anything she had seen before. 

In the body of a mana practitioner, mana was controlled by the mana seed organ in their bodies. By learning to control this seed through acts of physical training or mental means, one would be able to effectively transfer the mana to be circulated across each and every one of the body's cells and tissues. 

In doing so, they're able to dictate and strengthen the mana energy in their bodies into practical uses which vary depending on their mana seed.

However, one would need to have a certain degree of understanding with the laws of their mana to accomplish this. Each mana type has their own uniqueness which usually makes it quite difficult for one mana pathway to be able to perform acts of another pathway. 

Movement mana tends to be seen as an exception as they're able to manipulate the natural mana of the air along with their own mana. If competent enough, users are able to bring forth effects that appear to mimic other mana types. 

For instance, the Principal of Feeria, Acclaimed Research Professor Norman was able to perform complicated incantations such as ‘Reinforce body’. The incantation consolidates and compresses the natural mana onto the body of the user to strengthen them, likewise to the average training body consolidator. 

In the body of Dalis, Sister Edna discerned that Dalis's anatomy had a strange flow. The passage of mana seemed to not flow out from its mana seed origin. Instead, the circulation was arbitrary and ubiquitous. 

It suggested that Dalis's figure was a container of mana. 

Much like an ocean: unfathomable and formless. 

Yet, it was not water that Dalis gave the impression of embodying. It was a bottomless pit of darkness. 

Notably, the darkness was very dull in saturation. It was barely considered black. To Sister Edna, this darkness was not at all dreadful. It merely existed naturally. She felt unexplainably secure when touching this darkness with her mana. Regardless of how weak it was, it felt pleasant. It was very different from her preconceived beliefs. 

This was the darkness element.  

Sister Edna had an epiphany. If Dalis was to develop this darkness, he would be able to obtain immense strength that would be able to compensate for his lack of mana seed power. 

However, the consequences of doing this would be . . .   

After a reasonable period of contemplation, Sister Edna removed her hand from Dalis's chest. 

Dalis was the first to speak.

"Sister Edna . . . "

“Your mana seed is likely to never be able to transform in the future. It is most likely a deformed mana seed."

" . . . "

"However, perhaps Lord Caleyar may have blessed you with this deformed mana seed on purpose. Besides your amazing stats, to balance something else that resides within you."

"Something else that resides within me . . . " Dalis softly uttered.

"Yes, deep within you, there is a powerful darkness that shrouds you. That darkness is mysterious, and contrary to what I expected, it wasn't dreadful. Rather it felt like a safeguard when I used my mana to explore it. Perhaps this is because it knows that I wasn't a threat to you."

"It's as if you are suggesting that dark energy or dark mana is living," Dalis commented. Our Holy God shrouded me with darkness eh . . . silly Sister Edna.

"Yes, it honestly might be. In any case, I believe that this darkness should be used by you Dalis. If you're unable to take advantage of this, I really worry for what is to come in the future. Since you don't have a transformed mana seed.

“Even if you have great stats, they won’t be enough to compensate for the aptitude  and foundation to learn many skills. If you were an ordinary citizen, it would be fine, yet in your case, you are unable to use even a dose of mana."

"Despite so, there is always the alternative of having blessed mana correct?" Dalis suggested.

"Blessed mana won't work on a deformed mana seed. Three years ago we asked if you'd like to be baptised. You rejected it saying you would desire to pick another pathway. I can't blame you for that. After all, blessed mana is not suited towards who you are as a person. Besides, my Dalis wouldn't accept blessed mana whether he had a deformed mana seed or not."

"Indeed, your Dalis would not undertake such a measure.”

The two intimately smiled at each other.

Blessed mana was truly a god's magic. For blessed mana users, one would not require to work as hard or sometimes put in any effort as the other paths. Almost their entire foundation was focused on controlling the artefact, unleashing its powers, and consolidating faith. 

If they were to be unarmed, their power source would be cut off. Skills correlated to the artefact were  liable to this as well.

Although this path may seem unpleasant and off-putting, it was still seen as a representation of Caleyar's descendants and the Church. 

Furthermore, they were respected as the majority of blessed mana users were Vanquish soldiers. One could not merely choose this path and expect to be able to defend against the outbreaks of the demon beasts threatening the border. Without proper education and training, it was foolish.

"Did you ever know about this darkness within you?" Sister Edna asked.

Dalis’s eyes subconsciously hovered to the unlit, desolate fireplace, where it was very dark. In his mind, he mused of how he could explain it.

"When I stare deeply into the darkness, I feel this sensation of resonance, nostalgia, it's as if it's a part of me. I apologise, it’s difficult to put into words. But whether it was looking at the darkness of my dwelling in the middle of the night, or staring at shadows, it’s present.

“I always thought it was simply a reflection of my solitary nature, or just a strange illusive delusion of mine to break free from being in this Church. I frequently felt as if I do not belong here, and I cannot remain here. This uncanny feeling became stronger after bonding with you and the others, my comrades.” Without a blink of an eye, Dalis turned all ounces of attention away from the fireplace.

“Henceforth, I abandoned this darkness. I no longer stared at the darkness that seemed to follow me like a shadow, and pretended it did not exist.

“Moreover, I have heard word that the practise of dark elemental skills is taboo. Linkage with the demons from the Land of Demons, evil arts, it’s borderline heretical. That was another reason as to why I abandoned it, and the main reason as to why I never disclosed it to you Sister Edna."  

" . . . "

Sister Edna, having heard this, felt awkward and very ashamed of herself. 

She never knew about Dalis having to handle such a personal dilemma. It was unlike the dilemmas of the other children in the Orphanage. His confession was a great clarity to much of his behaviour in the past. 

She pondered to choose her words carefully before speaking.

"Dalis, I urge you to leave the Vanquisher territory," Sister Edna requested with a severe dead look in her eyes.

Dalis's posture abruptly shuddered.

"Sister Edna . . . so you did utter such words." Dalis felt a little disappointed. 

Sister Edna approached Dalis and placed her hand on top of Dalis's shoulder. Her eyes were tender and strong, yet there were clear ripples. 

Was she trying to hold back her tears?

"Dalis, that darkness within you can't be hidden forever. If there is a chance that any of the authorities get a word of this, then even I won't be able to save you. Besides, that darkness . . . perhaps it could be one of the keys to uncovering your past," Sister Edna prompted.

"Yes, you are correct . . . but even so." 

The eyes of Dalis presented a glimpse of fiery desire. Yet simultaneously, there was an apparent show of unwillingness: unwillingness to leave.

Sister Edna held back the feelings that she really wanted to convey.

"Dalis do you love the Church that much?~" Sister Edna sweetly teased in an attempt to break the tension.

"Ah well, despite the restrictions and lack of freedom, it has indeed treated me well. But to answer Sister Edna's query . . . not as much as you would perhaps assume," Dalis flatly said.

"EH?!" Sister Edna was taken back.

"I simply treasure my kinship with a particular few." Dalis glanced to the side, avoiding eye contact.

The palm of Sister Edna's hand closed in her face, mouth went agape. Her cheeks rose to a blush. 

"Dalis you're so cute!”

Sister Edna hugged the unaware Dalis and started rubbing her face onto his cheeks, intimately.

"S-Sister Ed-Edna, you are now saying the opposite of what you have been saying. Or are we going to elope?" Dalis stammered, remaining docile from Sister Edna's sudden cute assault. He felt troubled. 

It appeared that Sister was not listening as she was busy fawning over him.

"Ahem sorry about that. Sister Edna couldn't help it," Sister Edna said as she used her index finger to wipe off the two tears that were let out, unknowingly. 

"It is fine, I do not mind," Dalis said casually. He had clearly seen that action but chose to not mention it.

"Going back to where we last left off, would you listen to Big Sister?" Sister Edna sternly asked.

At the given moment, Dalis felt as if most of his inner turmoil had been eased.

"Understood. I shall listen to Sister Edna's request and do my utmost to comply with it to the best of my capabilities." Dalis nodded his head.

"How diligent of you. I haven't even discussed the plan."

There was an upcoming annual expedition event where soldiers-in-training and Vanquishers take groups of children out into various parts of the Pedlar Continent for experience and voluntary church work. 

For Dalis, it will be the best opportunity for him to swiftly disappear and escape the influence of the Church. 

However, only the most qualified children of the Orphanage are allowed to partake in it, determined strongly through academic test results and combat events. Thus, Sister Edna advised Dalis to achieve well in the, soon to be held, Academic Exam and Pre-Soldier Exam. 

"Would they be willing to track me down across the whole Pedlar Continent?" Dalis asked.

"No, you should be fine. They don't have the time and personnel for tracking you down. However, there would likely be a notice of it. So, if you were to encounter Church authorities, then there is a likelihood of being taken away. Make sure to avoid them if possible," Sister Edna warned gravely.

"Understood. On another note Sister Edna, when would I be able to see you again after that? " Dalis asked apprehensively.

"That is . . . " Sister Edna struggled to reply.

The room turned silent once again. It was unknown how many times this had happened this very day.

" . . . " 

" . . . "

"Whenever you'd like. As long as my Dalis becomes powerful enough that he can do anything he pleases~" Sister Edna winced and teased with a wry smile. 

With a ‘Hmm’, Dalis tilted his head up a little and appeared to contemplate.

"Understood. Then you may rest assured. It is a promise."

"A promise with Big Sister? Hehe alright then, it's a promise." Sister Edna smiled. She felt a little more at ease from his response.

"Oh wait!” She snapped her fingers. “I forgot to append a very important matter onto that promise!" Sister Edna exclaimed.

"What is it?"

"I wish for you to use your power to protect those in need. If you can do this, then I don't think I will need to worry." About you straying from the right path she thought.

"Power to protect . . . " Dalis repeated. 

"Likewise to your actions in the past to defend your peers and me. Don't ever forget it. But know the limits and the extent of your actions. However if it is n-necessary . . . t-then . . . "

"Understood Sister Edna, there is no need to go on further." 

"Good, now in regards to Mother Michelle . . . "

"Ah yes, when it comes to her . . . "

 

In the original, I had a few people comment about it being hard to read with all the usage of ellipsis (...). I hope it was okay here in this new version!

15