6. You’re like a Drug that’s Drugging Me
14 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Qadir’s words still threatened Jackie's thoughts, echoing with each throb from her cracked ribs.

She battered away the incessant accusation with basic logic. She was captain, acting in the best interest of her ship and her crewmates. The rest of the crew understood, and the vote was proof. She had no doubts Qadir’s questions would stop once the ship became less stable.

But her own questions would not be damned by these excuses for long. Did she really think Valencia would be considered so valuable?

She needed stronger stuff to silence her inner monologue. She went to the med bay.

Opening the heavy wooden door unleashed the sharp and tangible scents within the cabin. Jackie moved into the cabin and close the door quietly behind her. Though her ribs spasmed from the pleasure, Jackie couldn’t stop herself from filling her lungs with the memories the herbs hanging from the ceiling inspired. The med bay was where Jackie had first kissed Morrows. And where they had shared other firsts as well.

Jackie looked around the room, picking out the pieces that sparked her memories the brightest. The room itself was central to the history she shared with Morrows. Originally it had been the captain’s quarters had been a place dedicated to maps and the silk-curtained luxuries of an overpaid skyship captain. Jackie never used it then. It wasn't until Morrows pointed out the benefits of a med bay that the abandoned cabin finally found its use.

Glass bottles from the built-in shelves on either side of the room tinkled in time with the ship’s movements, a merry accompaniment to the hours spent rearranging the place. Pushed in among the bottles were rolled up parchments that Morrows occasionally read to Jackie. There were also a few of Morrows’ æther automatons and machines, things Morrows frequently started but rarely had the chance to complete.

On the far wall opposite from Jackie was a mosaic of glass that made the backside of the med bay. Thick beams of the afternoon’s light streamed in through the multi-colored windows and painted the room in deep ochers, startling azure, and tepid yellows. The same colors that had once speckled across the length of Morrows' exposed skin.

“By the dripping cock of Mary!” Valencia’s roar stopped Jackie’s reflections.

In the center of the room, on one of the exam tables, was Valencia. Morrows stood at the end of the table, his head bowed and shoulders hunched. Although Jackie couldn't see his features, it was easy for her to imagine the blank smile plastered on his face when he was focused on his work.

“The lactations of Joseph!” Valencia swore again as Morrows carefully pulled her ankle out of its displacement. “Fuck!”

“Yes, it is a bit painful at first, you understand—“ Morrows’ voice was deceptively easy-going, “but there really is no need to be so crude, Captain Steele.”

“No one needs to be crude, doctor,” Valencia seethed. “I just enjoy it. Larping cocks of the Magdalene!”

Jackie grabbed a bandage roll from one of the nearby shelves and went over to the exam table. She had never shied from helping Morrows before, and now was no time to start.

With sure but slow movements Morrows repositioned Valencia’s toes so they faced the correct way, then pushed her ankle back into place. Valencia’s splenetic swearing broke down to wordless grunts and gasps.

“Have you fixed her then?” Jackie asked, holding out the bandage roll for Morrows.

“I’ve realigned her ankle, but as far as personality—”

“Flawless,” Valencia ground out. "My personality . . . is fucking. . . flawless."

Jackie glanced at Valencia, surprised she was still conscious. “Did you give her laudanum?

Valencia grunted. "I am right here and fully able to answer for myself: I refused your pirate drugs.”

“So why are you still so–"

“Would it be acceptable if Jackie were to wrap your foot with the bandage?” Morrows was quick to interrupt Jackie's question. I’m afraid to undo my work if I release your foot now.”

“If she's not too intimidated by my large ego," Valencia said.

Jackie’s fist tightened around the roll of bandages. ”I’m not intimidated by fantasies."

"Then might I share a few more fantasies with you?" Valencia’s lip curled from more than just the pain. “I have a rather particular one concerning red pantaloons."

“You do know Jackie saved your life? Twice?" Morrows asked.

"I could've told her it was a waste of time,” Valencia said.

Morrows’ head snapped up from his work and he pinned all of his attention on Valencia. The air went still in the med day.

"I do hope that is the pain speaking, captain," Morrows said.

“Actually, my pain is either improved or I'm beginning to pass out." Valencias eyes rolled back in her head for a moment but then returned and lit upon Jackie. "Everyone knows Jackie the gypsy pirate does not ransom her prisoners. No matter how well they may kiss."

“I am Chíro.” Jackie corrected.

Valencia gave Jackie a drunkard’s smile and lolled her head back and forth. “No, you're beautiful.”

"Jackie?" Morrows called from the end of the exam table.

The lightness in Jackie's chest hardened and sank to the pit of her stomach. She forced herself to look up at Morrows and meet his steady gaze. "She is delirious."

"I've been delirious since we first crossed swords," Valencia continued. "And then later when we crossed legs."

Morrows' jaw dropped open into a small o and he stared at Jackie.

A chill sear crawled over every inch of Jackie, burning the worst in her face. As desperate as she was to try and explain to Morrows, Jackie's throat was too thick. She stood there, staring back at her lover, and could not think of anything she could say to him.

“Maybe drugs would have been nice,” Valencia slurred.

Morrow shook his head and turned back to his patient, "may I take that as consent?"

“Aye aye doctor!” And with that, Valencia finally had the decency to lose consciousness.

How's the pace?
  • Little slow, but it picks up towards the end Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Slow in general Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Too fast Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A-okay palsky Votes: 1 100.0%
  • There were no dragons here either Votes: 0 0.0%
Total voters: 1
0