Chapter 1:
24 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
*BRIIIIIING*
 
The bell sounded throughout the building
 
"Remember to do your homework, and present it at the beginning of class tomorrow. Everyone have a good evening." Ms. Grendle said
 
The students weren't paying much attention, as they were busy packing up their supplies in haste. It is always like this, everyone is happy that school is finally done for the day and they can move on to more exciting activities.
 
Who wouldn't be? School lasts for 10 hours and doesn't seem relevant when compared to the importance of training. Nor is it as enjoyable as playing, and hanging out with friends.
 
There is a lot to get up to after school. You can go to the game center, which has obstacle courses and various physical activities. Your results are recorded and used to compete for spots on the leaderboards for each game. The higher your spot on the leaderboard the more recognition you get from others, which is a great source of pride for the youth and young adults.
 
Some will go to the cafes to watch sports and have a snack with friends. The sports on new genesis are always brutal in some form, and the most popular sport 'Synergy' showcasing that fact perfectly. As does the second most popular sport 'Clash'.
 
------------
 
"K-Ros, my man, what are we doing today?"
 
a young dark-skinned youth approached Keros. Short hair, a sharp jaw, and the same height as his peers. wearing a dark red jacket with sleeves that came to his elbows, and loose black pants. his name is Booker Red, and he has been Keros' best friend since he was 3 years old.
 
"Training... My dad will be home, so I'll probably be training all night." Keros responded before slinging his book bag over his shoulder.
 
"Training is important and all, but we are still just kids... Come out and have a life!" Booker said.
 
"you know I'd like to have some fun, but you know how my dad is. I don't want to make him mad by skipping out and not training. I'm not brave enough to face him when he is mad."
 
The two youths followed the line out of the door, down the hallway, and out of the building.
 
"Hahaha, I don't think anyone would want to face your pops when he is angry." Booker said with a laugh
 
"I'll come to do your daily training with you, but when uncle J steps in I'm leaving."
 
Keros shot Booker a glance looking as if he felt betrayed before showing a bright grin.
 
---------
 
20 minutes later the two boys made it to Keros' home. It was a modest duplex building. there were a few other similar building next to it, but the majority of the area had apartment-style buildings. The Suburban style area looked similar to the favelas of the distant past, as did most of the housing areas within the City state that Keros and Booker lived. the only difference is how clean it is.
 
Keros' home is a gray, single-story, roughly 83 sq meters(900 sq ft) in size. The front steps exit directly onto the street, with the back yard being 35 sq meters(400 sq ft) and shared between all residents in the duplex. Keros' family lives in the unit on the right of the building, towards the east.
 
"I'm home! Booker came over to train with me." Keros called out as he entered the house with Booker following behind him.
 
waiting for a short while, he doesn't hear a response so he figures his parents are out of the house. they take their bags to Keros' room before changing into athletic gear and heading out into the back yard.
 
In the backyard, on the east side there is a punching bag, ropes, weights, pull-up bar, wooden swords and knives, and various other objects with visible wearing on them, showing that they are used often.
 
the two immediately begin stretching and doing a few warm-up exercises. Transitioning into more intense exercises, they go through Keros' daily regimen. Jumping rope > shadow boxing > footwork maneuvers > punching bag, spending roughly 20 minutes on each exercise. 
 
Next, they start on core workouts, sit-ups > push-ups > leg raises > pull-ups > and rope swing, doing three sets of ten. by the end of the exercise, both youths were breathing heavily, drenched in sweat.
 
Booker walks over and turns off the music he had started earlier. 
 
"Whew, I'm always so exhausted after training with you."
 
Keros glances over, giving a look of pity
 
"Maybe if you worked out for longer than an hour every other day my training wouldn't be so exhausting to you."
 
"Hey now, I do cardio every day. that counts right? besides almost no one else our age even bothers to exercise out of school. You're the exception when it comes to working so hard, it's freakish really." Booker grins characteristically
 
"doesn't look like your pops is back yet, wanna go get something to drink while you have time? I'm craving a red riot!"
 
Keros frowned, red riot is an energy drink of sorts. It's very effective at restoring stamina and clearing a bit of fatigue, and they are addictive. The bad part is that they cause you to crash pretty hard after a few hours and you feel worse than before.
 
"Nah, Those things are disgusting and I don't like how I feel after they wear off."
 
Booker chuckled, before taking off his gloves and heading toward the door "Alright bro, well I'm gonna head out. If you can get out tonight then come to the game center, I'm gonna try to get in the top 1000 on the obstacle course!"
 
It was Keros' turn to laugh. Booker had never even breached the 1500th rank. Sure Booker is pretty good for his age, especially considering how many people compete, but obviously it becomes much more difficult the higher you make it on the leaderboards. Jumping over 500 ranks will be extremely unlikely.
 
None the less, Keros' wasn't about to be a buzzkill and crush his friends' enthusiasm 
 
"yea bro, after I finish up ill come by."
 
Keros walked with Booker, seeing him out before going to the kitchen and getting some water. quickly finishing his first cup, and immediately filling it up and gulping down another.
 
The truth is, Keros is also fairly worn out. his training constantly gets more intense over time. Every time his father returns he increases the difficulty in small increments. Keros has been indignant about it for quite some time, but what can he do about it? 
 
"dad must be unhappy with me. why else would he make me do such hard exercise every day? what did I ever do to him?" Keros thought to himself as he watched his handshake a little from fatigue while holding the cup.
 
*creeeak*
 
*Thud*
 
Keros heard the door open and shut, and by the time he had turned around, he saw his father entering the kitchen.
 
Keros' father is a large muscular man standing at 186cm (6'1"), with broad shoulders. He sports a 5'0clock shadow and short dark hair. His eyes are a darker blue, clear and sharp. his face shows the usual stoney expression he uses. wearing a dark grey tight well-fitting shirt, and dark green pants.
 
"Finished your workouts?" He asks, his voice is deep and steady.
 
"Yes, just a minute ago." Keros responds
 
"Alright. Lets spar."
 
Keros follows his father to the hall, where they both grab their gloves. His father pulls out a few mitts, a pad, and a few long strips of cloth. Both then head to the backyard.
 
"Hey, Jack! when did you get back?"
 
Keros' father turns. Sitting in a chair on the west side of the backyard is an older fellow. Mr. Fengas, who lives in the other unit of the duplex. Keros' parents are gone often, so Mr. Fengas and his wife sometimes look after Keros' and his younger sister when the family is busy.
 
"Yesterday evening. how were the kids? Did they cause any trouble?" Jack asks as he tosses Keros a pair of cloth strips, before using the other pair to start wrapping his own hands.
 
"No, none at all. Quite well behaved as usual. Anyway, don't mind me, I'll just watch from over here." Mr. Fengas says as he sips his beer. Mr. Fengas often watches when Keros' spars with his father, seemingly enjoying the excitement of it all.
 
After his hands, Jack comes over to examine the wraps. Keros is experienced at wrapping his hands by now, but Jack still checks every time.
 
"I know how to wrap my hand's dad... You don't have to check every time." Keros says with an exasperated tone.
 
"Quiet boy. Regardless of how well you think you know how to wrap them, I still need to check them." Jack responds, seemingly ignoring Keros' tone.
 
"Come on, they are good enough, it's not like they have to be perfect!" Keros says as he pulls his hand back.
 
Jacks lips curl downwards, and he slowly lifts his head staring direct into Keros' eyes
 
"Good enough? Son, you need to understand. I'm not looking for perfection, perfection doesn't exist. I'm checking for improvement. Just because you think something is 'good enough' doesn't mean it cannot be improved upon. When you stop caring enough to improve is when you become stagnant, and stagnation is the curse of the mediocre... We are NOT mediocre." Jack says in a commanding tone, showing disapproval in his expression.
 
Keros looks down, avoiding his father's gaze. Jack grabs his hand and finishes checking the wraps before stepping back and picking up the mitts, before sliding them on his hands. Keros takes a fighting stance.
 
"JAB!"
 
Jack shouts, before calling out combinations for Keros to perform. Jabs, straights, hooks, elbows, knees, kicks, Dodging and countering. Jack takes Keros through one combination drill after another. Jack watches attentively, occasionally commenting on footwork, power, follow-through, and speed, and reactions.
 
Keros begins, striking the mitt with a jab before twisting his core and landing a heavy hook onto the mitt at his father's command. His technique is good, his experience shows that of a well-trained fighter. 
 
Keros begins to unconsciously tune out the background in the area as the training starts to ramp up. Soon sound fades and all he can hear is the sound of his strikes hitting the mitts, his father calling out the combinations, and his own breathing and heartbeat. This has been happening more often as of the last few training sessions with his father, however, Keros hasn't realized that his senses have started to optimize for the situation when fighting. Almost as if the instinct of how to fight is being engraved into his heart.
 
After some time, Keros is breathing heavily once again with sweat accumulating on his brow and dripping from his chin.
 
"Enough, we will move on to the pad." Jack says, stopping Keros before pulling off the mitts and picking up the pad.
 
Jack says as he places the pad between himself and Keros, and takes a stance. Keros takes a second to catch his breath, before taking his stance one again. The pad is used for practicing on a moving target, letting Keros experience and train the flow of combat. During this training, there is less instruction, only a few calls here and there.
 
Once again, the training becomes intense. Jack uses the entire back yard to evade, and circle Keros. Keros chases, throwing punches and kicks when the opportune moment shows. Sometimes Keros jabs to test the waters, before moving to block off a path and throw a quick combination before getting a bit of distance. Other times he finds the moment to deliver a heavy kick into the pad. Jack sometimes calls for a knee or advises to retreat a little.
 
"Ok, enough." Once again, jack calls out. Then puts the pad down before donning his gloves.
 
Keros frowns, his indignation flaring back up. No approval, nor compliments come from Jack. 'am I just not good enough?' Keros thinks. 'No, I train so much and I'm better than any other kids my age. Maybe dad's standards are just freakishly high...' Keros calms himself a bit. He is accustomed to his father's stoic attitude when it comes to him. His father compliments Keros' sister, but that doesn't bother Keros anymore. After all, he is happy for his sister and wants the best for her. 'I just wish he would praise me once or twice.'.
 
Jack notices Keros expression, and sighs
 
"come on son, time to spar."
 
once again, training resumes are the short respite.
 
By the time they are finished sparring, an hour and 20 minutes have passed since they began training together. Keros' movements show exhaustion, and his clothes are drenched by his sweat. Jack, his father, is only breathing slightly harder and barely broke a sweat.
 
"We are done for the day.. Go wash up and finish your homework before any plans to go out."
 
------------
 
Keros climbs out of the shower, drying off and standing before the mirror. Wiping off the steam from the mirror and taking a look at himself. Black medium length messy hair, Clear sharp eyes like his father, with a childish face, and sharp chin. Slightly taller than the majority of his peers at 166cm (5'5"). His muscles are well defined from his daily workouts. He notices the swelling on his face from sparing his with father, which will soon bruise but that doesn't bother him. In battle, scars are obtained, and some warriors consider them trophies from a good fight, so his bruises are like temporary tattoos that showcase his hard work. Though not many 11-year-olds show up to school with bruises, in the world today it isn't as big a deal as it might have been when humans were weak and fragile.
 
Today's world is one that requires you to be tough, and battle is glorified. If you can't take a few punches then you aren't worth a damn, and if you can't return a few punches then you need to get stronger. These even apply to the youth at the age of 12, so keros just started a bit early.
 
feeling reinvigorated after showering, Keros puts on his clothes before quickly doing his homework and going to the kitchen. As expected, his mother and little sister are back.
 
Jessica, his mother, is standing at the sink rinsing some vegetables. She has long black hair, a delicate face, and a sharp chin. She is just slightly taller than Keros at 170cm(5'6"). She has narrow shoulders and a smaller build. When coupled with her gentle demeanor, she seems fairly delicate. However, that couldn't be further from the truth. Like his father, she is in the military and well accomplished.
 
He has seen her spar once with his father and was astounded at the spectacle. Her fighting style was starkly contrasted when pitted against his father. She was nimble, seemingly floating around Jack while delivering lightning-fast strikes. Sure her power couldn't rival his Jacks, but she made up for it with sheer quantity. The spar didn't conclude with a winner, but Keros was sure that they were closely matched.
 
"Mom, you're back." Keros called out
 
"Hey sweetie." Jessica said as she turned to look at Keros.
 
"Bah, that brute. I wish he would take care when training with you." she says with slight irritation in her tone.
 
Keros beams a smile. Another way his mother different from his father. She showed worry for him. She is the gentle warmth that thawed him after he experienced the frigid storm that is his father.
 
"Is it alright if I go to the game center? Booker wanted me to meet up with him there when I was free.." Keros said
 
"Sure, as long as your homework is done. remember to be careful though son." Jessica said as she glanced at the window.
 
the sun was going down, and the city could be dangerous at night especially for the young. The days were longer now than before Genesis. Books say the days used to be 24 hours, but now they are 32 hours. The days are longer, but so are the nights. Humans only need 8 hours of sleep on average and as one grows stronger that time is reduced. So when nights last up to 16 hours, it can get pretty boring if you only stay inside for the rest of the night. But that considered, Jessica still worries for her child.
 
Jessica fished in her bag for a little and pulled out a small card, handing it to Keros.
 
"Alright, I will. Thanks." Keros said as he took the card before heading out the door.
 
Wow. Re-reading some of my earlier chapters is rough! I can only imagine what some of you might feel while reading this! Please, stick it out until the mid 20's and see if this is your style of story because that is around the time it picks up. Please, provide feedback as well so I can improve!

0