Chapter 10
12 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Keros woke up at exactly 8:00. He felt no grogginess, despite sleeping for eight hours. He felt different as if there was nothing to stop him from continuing forward as there had been before. Before he was akin to a full cup, but now he felt like he was a dry pond. He had so much to more room to improve than before!
 
He was more excited than he had ever been.
 
He sat up and immediately began to meditate. This time was different than usual. His consciousness didn't withdraw into his mind as usual. Instead, his inner sight was enveloped in darkness. He could sense his surroundings, and he sensed two anomalies. The first was a force emanating from his head. This must be his mind. He guessed if he made contact with that force then it would pull him into the fog like normal. For now, he chose to ignore the mind force.
 
He observed the second anomaly. It came from his chest and felt warm. If he could put it into words, it would be as if there was a minuscule flickering flame buried in his chest. He tried to move close to it so he could get a better feeling of it and understand more. Oddly enough, nothing changed. The warmth didn't increase, even though he knew he was closer than before. He reached out toward the warmth and felt as though he was being blocked from touching it. Suddenly he felt a force of rejection, and multiple barriers appeared preventing him from getting close. He could still feel the warmth, but he could get no closer to it.
 
He spent what felt like a long time sensing the changes and thinking on ways to get past the barrier. His consciousness slowly became heavier, and he began to feel sluggish. Though he wanted to continue experimenting, eventually he was forced out of meditation. The digital clock showed 8:35 which meant he spent thirty-five minutes in meditation. Five more minutes than he was usually able to maintain the state of meditation. What a surprising improvement.
 
He climbed out of bed and began to get ready for the day. He was incredibly dirty, likely from the changes that he experienced during his sleep. He showered, groomed himself, got dressed, and gathered his things before heading into the kitchen for a quick breakfast. Catherine was already in the kitchen and had made him some toast and a drink. She had waited on Keros since he insisted that she needed to walk to school with him for safety. Keros greeted her and started a conversation while he ate. Catherine had a lot of questions, and he had the time to explain his experience while eating.
 
Soon they left for school. He was still very hungry, so they took the time to stop for some street food on their way to school. He didn't need to rush. The school expected the students to be late on their twelfth birthday, and even if they didn't show up at all, that would be accepted. He felt that since he had to walk his sister to school anyway, he might as well attend.
 
By the time they made it to school, it was already 10:00. Keros and Catherine checked in, and Keros explained to the school principle why Catherine was late before they parted ways. Keros went to his class and took his seat beside Booker. Starting from year 7, you could choose the courses that you attended. Since things like wilderness survival, tracking, foraging, combat training, and teamwork needed to be taught to those who wanted to enter a career that involved combat, other subjects could be omitted. The same applied to those who chose a more mundane lifestyle. The only exception was the cultivation subject that everyone was required to attend.
 
The class Keros was in now described various plant life. It covered their appearance, danger levels, if it was edible, which plants were poisonous, which ones were beneficial, and which regions they were found in. It is an important class for anyone who had to leave the stronghold for their career. Keros had only missed one class this morning, and he made it early enough to catch the majority of this class.
 
-
 
At lunch, Keros and Booker grabbed a meal in the cafeteria.
 
"So what's it like?" Booker asked impatiently. In a few weeks, he could be turning twelve too, so he wanted to know what to expect.
 
Keros explained how he had felt the night before, a detailed description of his dream, and the changes he felt this morning during meditation. He had thought about that dream a lot this morning because it was completely different from what is commonly described. Normally people experience a single strong energy and feel a conglomeration of vague emotions. Keros' experience was much more detailed, and he was able to accurately feel two completely different powers and the emotions they brought. It was weird that his experience was so much different than normal, but no one's experience was exactly alike so he didn't worry much.
 
"That sounds so cool! Maybe I'll experience something wild like that too." Booker said with a gleam in his eye.
 
"Well, whatever you do end up seeing in your dream, pay attention to it. I have this feeling that it's more important than it seems." Keros replied.
 
After lunch, they went to their next class.
 
-
 
*Thump Thump*
 
There was a knock at the classroom door. The teacher stopped her lesson and checked the door. A look of surprise crossed her face briefly before you calmed herself and opened the door.
 
A man and woman entered the class wearing military uniforms. They stood at the front of the class with confidence and discipline as they surveyed the classroom. All of the students stared with admiration since the people in front of them were who the students aspired to be. Everyone speculated on the reason that two military personnel came to their class.
 
clearing her voice, the woman spoke up
 
"Keros Vaolair! Which one of you is Keros?" She asked in a commanding voice.
 
Keros was shocked for a moment before standing up and replying
 
"I am Keros Vaolair." He said back with a confident tone.
 
"We need you to come with us." She said as she locked eyes with Keros
 
"Okay... Why?" Keros asked curiously.
 
"I can't tell you that, but you'll understand later." she said
 
Keros thought for a moment
 
"Will my little sister be coming too?" He asked.
 
"No. Now enough questions, come quickly. We don't have much time." She said with her voice becoming more stern.
 
"Booker, can you walk Catherine home?" Keros asked.
 
Booker nodded and gave a thumbs up.
 
Keros followed the man and woman. They quickly led him out of the school and to a road designated for vehicles and into an SUV that was parked on the road. It was a black SUV that was commonly issued to the military. Everyone was quiet as they drove toward the northeast of Enceladus at a high speed. The SUV was incredibly quiet and only had a slight whirring sound as it sped down the road.
 
Keros knew he wouldn't get any information from these two that would calm the tension and unease he felt. He figured it most likely had something to do with his parents since he should be too insignificant for the military to look for him otherwise. He tried to take his mind off things by observing the two. The woman was sitting in the passenger seat. She had short black hair that was tied into a high ponytail, a narrow face, and seemed to still be in her teens. The pins and symbols on her uniform denoted her rank, which Keros recognized from his parents' description. She is a corporal.
 
The man was driving. He is Bald, with a small stocky frame, and a clean-cut blocky face. Keros guessed he was in his mid-twenties, and he is a sergeant.
 
Keros wondered why a corporal in the military would be sent to pick him up. He guessed that she was the one with the assignment to escort him, and likely the man was only there for support and guidance. Keros racked his brain trying to figure out the reasoning behind all of this, even though he knew that he would understand soon.
 
-
 
They arrived at the main military base. The woman directed the man to return to the barracks before she led Keros to a smaller vehicle that was for use on base. It seated four but with little personal room, and was open to the elements with only a small room that covered the cab area and a windscreen. It was fast, and the woman pushed it to the limit as she raced through the base.
 
Soon they made it to a section that had ten buildings that resembled small warehouses. The woman stopped the car at the fourth building, and lead Keros through the door. Inside, there were 8 people. They looked bedraggled, and all of them had injuries of various degrees. They wore expressions of sorrow as they all focused their gazes on a door, the sorrow on their face deepened when they looked over to Keros.
 
'Why... Why do they look at me like that?' Keros thought to himself, his throat tightening. He had thought that he was here to see his parents, but they weren't in this room. He hoped that they weren't in the room behind that door.
 
The woman Saluted, and Silently left through the door they had entered. One of the people in the room lightly knocked on the door that they were staring at, before stepping back and gesturing Keros to enter.
 
Keros's steps were unsteady as he walked up and grasped the door handle. He hesitated for a moment, before turning the handle and slowing entering. The room was smaller than the last, and the lighting was dim. The smell from inside was strong, and it made Keros want to heave. He closed his eyes before he fully entered, and closed the door behind him. He took a moment to steady himself before he opened his eyes. There were two beds, one was covered with a thick sheet that was bulging, the other one had a man laying on it. 
 
It was his father. He was hard to recognize at a glance because of all the wounds on his body. He was in horrible shape, with his stomach ripped open, his limbs were mangled, and part of his face was torn. His left eye was sunk in, likely destroyed. His breathing was heavy, sporadic, and sounded closer to wheezing. His one open eye stared at Keros as if to commit his image to memory.
 
Keros' heartbeat sped up, his mouth started to dry out, and his hands began to quiver. His father looked... Terrible. Keros moved to the left side of the bed before noticing another person in the room, who was already standing to the left of the bed. He was stocky and muscular, around 177 cm tall, with dark hair and green eyes. His eyes were locked on Keros, and his expression was fierce. He spoke, his expression calming
 
"Talk to your father boy... I'll make sure no one bothers you." He said as he walked to the door and stood right in front of it with a straight back, his gaze pointed forward and locked onto the wall.
 
Keros took his previous position. There was a chair there that the man must have been sitting in before Keros entered. Keros pulled the chair closer and sat in it. He studied his father's body now that he was closer and he could better see the severity of his injuries. His clothes were torn and drenched in blood, his left leg had bulges likely caused by broken bones, there were grotesque lacerations and bruises on every area of his body, his stomach was cut diagonally and his intestines were visible, he had a few puncture holes in his chest, and his face had mangled flesh hanging.
 
'Why hadn't he been taken to the hospital?!' Keros thought. His father needed immediate medical attention or he was going to die! Why wouldn't these people have immediately taken him to the hospital?! Unless... 'It's too late.'
 
"K-keros... You need to grow stronger!" Jack's voice was quiet, and it was mixed with the sound of fluid which must have been the blood in his throat.
 
"Work harder... T-this" He coughed violently and his face contorted into agony, blood splashing from his mouth.
 
Keros panicked, not knowing how to help without making things worse. His fathers' coughing calmed and he spit out some more blood before continuing
 
"This is why, this is why you need to become stronger!" Jack said with a firm voice, his eye starting to shine from the tears building
 
"You wanted to know.... why I pushed you.... so hard." Jack said between pauses for breath
 
"This is why. Because I was too weak... Your mother..." Jack stopped.
 
He began to sob. Keros had never seen his father cry. Most of his life he had known this man to be a Stoic, yet now... He is sobbing uncontrollably. How much pain must his heart be in for him to sob in his condition? His body had to be in an incredible amount of pain when sobbing like that, but he couldn't stop himself. It took a while for him to steady himself and continue
 
"Y-your mother.. is dead. because I wasn't strong enough... That is why you need to.. pick up your suffering... AND BEAR IT!" Jack said, with his voice rising at the last part.
 
"Bear with all of the pain... The pain of our deaths... The pain of your training... The pain of your responsibilities." He was having to stop every few words to compose himself
 
"And become powerful..... So you don't end up like me."
 
"So you aren't one... Day dying on a bed... Cursing yourself.. because you.. couldn't protect what is... important."
 
"So you don't... Leave your loved ones all alone.." Jack said in between mild sobs and shallow breaths. He steadied himself and prepared for the next part he wanted to say.
 
"We'll have left you here alone and we have nothing to give you. You and your sister will probably be kicked out of the house... And the little credits we have to leave to you won't go far." he paused to take some breaths and ease the pain
 
"And you'll have to take care of your sister on top of it all." he laughed in self-derision
 
"You're going to have to climb up from the bottom. You're going to struggle and you'll have to make sacrifices. Don't ever kneel before another in life. Hold your head up high and have pride. Remember your name and its legacy... I know all of this is going to be hard... But I know you can do it."
 
He paused again, starting to tear up a bit
 
"I know you can do it... Because you're strong... And I'm sorry. I'm sorry I didn't tell you enough how proud of you I am.." he moved his hand, trying to touch Keros.
 
Keros reached out and grasped his hand lightly. He was taking this astonishingly well. The only thing that betrayed his calm demeanor was the quivering and a solemn expression.
 
"It's okay dad... I understand now why you did what you did... Don't worry about us, you left us plenty already. You gave me a good foundation to become strong, and Catherine will have a strong brother to take care of her... Thanks to you." Keros said in a mostly calm voice
 
"You've taught me skills that I can use to support us and live a better life. You've taught me to endure the struggles so that I can reap the rewards. You've given me enough... You don't need to regret leaving us, dad. We will be okay, I promise." he said as he brought his father's hand up and grasped it with both hands
 
"I don't know what happened, or why mom died... But I don't blame you for that. Mom was a warrior! She was strong and brave! She protected us and our way of life! Just like you... I'm sad that she's gone, and that you'll be gone too. But I'm also proud! Proud that I had such amazing parents, who dared to fight so that we could have better lives!" Keros said as his voice began to quiver.
 
Keros and Jack looked into each other's eyes in silence. Some things couldn't be put into words, so the looks in their eyes conveyed those words. Soon Jack would be gone forever, and Keros would never get to see him again. Only in memories would he be able to visit him, and even though having this memory would hurt, Keros wanted it more than anything.
 
This was a man who had cared for him. Who had taught him how to be a man, and prepared him for life. Who put a roof over his head, clothes on his back, and food in his mouth. This was a father that struggled through the agony of losing his wife and the pain caused by his wounds, just so he could speak with his son one last time. He had suffered so much just so that he could teach Keros one last time. Even with the pain, it would bring him to remember this it was worth it since it showed how great of a man his father was.
 
"Please... Let me see your mother one last time." Jack said as he struggled to turn his head toward the other bed.
 
Keros stood up slowly. He gently laid his father's hand down and went between the beds. He took a deep breath to prepare himself before pulling the sheet back.
 
His mother was in worse condition than his father. Her throat had a huge gash in it and was coated red, and she had a hole in her chest. Though it didn't look like she suffered as many wounds, and likely passed quickly. That was the only solace that he could find.
 
His mother had always been gentle and loving, like the sun on a warm spring day. She was the kindest and loving person he had ever known. She would give up anything for her children, would never show anything but a happy smile. Yet she ended up like this. His mother who was kind to all was given such a poor end.
 
Keros felt anger. It boiled and rapidly grew to the point that he was almost consumed by it. He did his best to maintain a calm demeanor, but inside his heart was raging and his soul was screaming. He never felt such unbridled hatred. He wanted to find whoever did this to his parents and crush them slowly beneath his foot. He wanted to hear their screams as they begged him for mercy. That seemed to be the only way he could think of to soothe the inferno that raged inside.
 
Despite how he felt, he stepped back so his father would be able to see his mother. Though Keros didn't want to look any longer, he couldn't look away. His rage forced him to commit this image to memory. He promised himself that one day he would get revenge, and this memory would ensure that he wouldn't let something as ridiculous as mercy hold him back.
 
They both stare at her for a long time. Keros was the one to break the silence.
 
"One day when I'm strong enough... I'll rain hell down upon whoever caused this. Not even the heavens will hold me back from getting justice." Keros said with a hoarse voice filled with resentment
 
"Good... That eases the pain in my heart a bit." Jack said as he turned to look at Keros
 
"I don't think I have much time left. Stay with me until I'm gone." Jack said as he turned his head back toward the chair.
 
Keros covered his mother back up before returning to sit in the chair. He grabbed his father's hand again and waited on his breathing to stop. Less than ten minutes passed before his fathers died. Keros held his hand for a long time after that. His eyes were closed and he remained completely still. Two hours passed before he finally moved. He very gently laid his father's hand back on the bed before grabbing a sheet and draping it over him.
0