Chapter 20
5 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Keros listened to the sounds around him while he rested his back against a tree. Incests like crickets could be heard, as well as the howls of some animals. The wind lightly rustled the leaves, and small critters could be heard scurrying across the branches overhead. The mixture of sounds was oddly enchanting.

In Enceladus, they didn't hear the sounds of nature, and it was always loud with people's antics all throughout the night. While the natural sound in the forest was loud, there was a certain charm to it. Sometimes it seemed rhythmic, and other times it sounded chaotic.

While he enjoyed these sounds, he needed to listen carefully to hone his senses. It was important for him to learn how to sense danger nearby, and to do that he would have to tune out all of this unnecessary noise. For now, he would have to be hyper-alert even though it was boring and draining mentally.

He kept a tight grip on his spear and his head was on a swivel, darting at every loud sound.

Eventually, they were replaced by two other team members. This time it was the large man, William, and the thin man, Derek, that would be taking the second watch.

Keros returned to the rest of the team and began meditating. He decided to focus harder on the minute changes that happened during his technique and barely managed to pull in an energy stream in time. He was forced to stop meditating, and while he cut it close, he had huge gains in skill. He believed that he could pull in an energy stream with a fifty percent success rate now.

Now the difficulty in increasing his skill began to rise. He would have to spend more time focusing on each specific step and train up his skill at the step to a certain point before moving on to the next step and doing the same. He would also change his method, and grab an energy stream as quickly as he could from now on, and spend the rest of the time perfecting his technique.

He drifted off to sleep while formulating his plans.

-

The next day, the team continued as they had. They didn't experience much trouble and were able to avoid all of the danger that they would have encountered. Once again, they took anything valuable they came across, and occasionally killed the beasts that either provided some profit or just caused issues.

This continued for many days, and after a week since they left the stronghold, they finally made it out of the forest.

During this time, Keros had even had the chance to get some true combat experience against the weakest beasts they encountered. At the start, he could avoid taking damage well, but when it came to using his spear he was a bit embarrassing. He was inaccurate, and his strikes lacked power.

The combat experience helped tremendously with learning how to use the spear though, and his skill was rising quickly. He now knew the best way to hold the spear and a few of the basic attacks like thrusting and swiping. He had even learned to use the shaft to his advantage. His attacks became more accurate and did more damage to the beasts.

The short spear was a good fit for him. Its size allowed him to still be maneuverable and utilize some of his martial arts, and the shape of the blade increased its penetration during thrusts. The spear was short enough that he could use it one-handed easily, and he could use his knife in the other hand if needed.

Keros had contemplated on the matter of his choice in weapons for a long time and came to a decision. He would have Reginald smith him two custom short spears, two custom knives, and a small shield. He planned on wielding two spears in most situations, however, should he need a more defensive option, then he would wield a shield on his left. Should he lose the spears in battle, he would resort to his knives.

The setup should be the best for him in his opinion. It wouldn't add too much weight, and all of the weapons could be used in tight spaces. While it would be nice to have a weapon capable of cleaving, he didn't want to spend too much time learning how to use yet another style.

-

The team finally left the cover of the canopy. Trees still covered the land, but their heads weren't as thick and lush, which allowed light to shine down upon the leaf-covered ground. Vegetation was still rampant, and many of the trees' bark was hidden by vines and shades of green.

"There should be a river not too far from here. We will follow it for our first mission objective. Blue tongued snakes are often spotted by the river, and like to spend a lot of their time in the water." Captain Lionell explained the plan to the group

"If we find one and engage it, be sure not to let it get to the river. We cannot battle it in water." he said before gesturing to continue.

On their way, they ran across a boar. It was larger than a common boar and had four long and sharp tusks.

"Looks like a level two beast. It would be good bait. We could take it to the river and see if any snakes come for an easy meal." Zimmer said quietly to Captain Lionell.

"I agree, but I'd like for the team to be in peak condition during this hunt. While it shouldn't drain anyone too much to take out this boar, it would suck if one of us sustained an injury." Captain Lionell responded

Zimmer thought on it for a moment before turning to look at Keros.

"What about giving Keros a shot? We will send Derek to be on standby close. At the very least Keros can provide the distraction for Derek to land a clean killing blow without any danger to the combat team." Zimmer provided a solution.

"This is likely a level two boar... That's a big ask of Keros, to be able to face off against a level two beast when he has just started cultivating." Captain Lionell said with some apprehension.

"You've seen the kid these past few days. He is great at blocking and dodging. Even if he can't kill it, he can probably keep his life. Besides, Derek will be close to deal the killing blow." Zimmer did his best to convince the Captain.

"Fine. The kid wanted to be a mercenary anyway. We will let him experience what it's like to play a more significant role than just a porter." Captain Lionell finally agreed.

"Keros, drop the bag and prepare yourself. You'll be taking out that boar so we can use it at bait." Captain Lionell ordered

Keros had been able to hear the conversation so he understood his job already. Kill the boar, or be bait so his teammate could finish it without much effort. He had fought some fledgling beasts, and even a few level one beasts, but this would be a level two. Beasts' strength multiplied by a large margin as they went up in levels, but he wasn't sure how much stronger a level two would be. None the less, he would do the job assigned to him. After all, this is the exact reason he joined a mercenary group. To fight, and experience growth in danger!

Keros nodded and unclipped his bag and quietly laid it on the ground before unsheathing his spear. He quietly weaved between the trees toward the boar, staying low and avoiding as many leaves and twigs as he could. He knew Derek would be moving up into position shortly, at the commands of the Captain.

When he felt he was close enough to the boar, he lunged up from his crouch and bound towards the boar, thrusting out his spear.

The boar noticed him and snorted before moving quickly and evading the spear. It ran in a wide circle before returning its focus to Keros. It had believed that he wasn't a major threat, and decided to battle with him. Perhaps it could fill its belly with his flesh.

Keros took his stance, his feet spread wide and his knees bent with his right arm holding the spear bent back. His eyes were locked to his target and he waited on it to aggress him.

The boar was impatient and didn't last long in the standoff, soon charging at a swift pace toward Keros. Its hooves pounded the ground causing the leaves to fly into the air. Its head was tilted down, ready to swipe up and rend at his prey. It closed the gap quickly and was before Keros in a matter of moments.

Keros waited until the boar was just outside of his range before darting to the right and thrusting left with his spear. Unfortunately, he messed up the timing of his thrust and missed. He had gauged the boars' speed incorrectly. Luckily the beast wasn't smart enough to notice the danger it had just been in and circled to get in another charge.

Once again, Keros tried the same maneuver. He did better this time and managed to slice a chunk of flesh off the boar. He didn't pierce through its body as he hoped, but at least he hit his target this time. This boar was so stupid that it was going to give him another attempt! Hadn't it noticed that it hadn't worked the last two times?

The boar charged for the third time and Keros darted to the side and thrust his spear. Suddenly the boar began to grind to a stop and twist its body. Keros spear missed because of the sudden actions of the boar. He stared dumbfounded at the boar that was less than two meters from him.

He had made the mistake of using the same attack three times in a row, just like he expected the boar to. However, the boar only went for the third charge to bait him! Now his footing was unsteady, and the boar was too close! He was in a situation that would make it very difficult for him to respond to the next attack.

The boar closed the gap with its head tilted down, before thrusting its head up to skewer Keros with its' tusks.

Keros' didn't have the time to think of a way to react, and had to rely on instincts and improvisation.

His eyes widened and his face scrunched up as he growled out. He shifted his body toward the boar and fell forward into its attack. His right hand let go of the spear and his arms shot out to intercept the tusks.

His hands slammed into the rising tusks of the boar, planting firmly on top of them. He tensed his arms and kicked off with as much force as he could to assist in lifting his body off the ground. He held on with all of his strength as the boar thrust it's head up.

He was trying to use the boars' attack to vault himself into the air and avoid its charge!

Keros flew into the air, struggling to attempt and steady himself in the air before slamming onto the ground on his back

He had managed to avoid being impaled by the boar, but it was a ballsy move! Even the slightest mistake would have lead to his death. Even with his success, he endured a lot of pain from the fall.

He didn't have time to catch his breath. He quickly climbed to his feet and spun his head to try and get a visual on the boar. It was preparing for another charge. He didn't have his spear handy this time though.

He pulled the knife from its sheath with his right hand and tried to think of a way to counter the boars' charge. He couldn't take it head-on, but if he evaded he wouldn't have the opportunity to counter-attack with the range he had.

He thought quickly to find something that would allow him to stop the boars' charge and attack it. If he could get the boar to stop, then he would have a chance to land a blow with his knife, but what could accept the charge of a boar? A tree? He had landed on the root of a tree and that tree was currently on his left.

He sidestepped, put the tree to his back, and took a step forward. His eyes locked onto the boar and he took a stance while waiting on it to charge.

The boar snorted and kicked its foot back, digging up some of the dirt and flinging it into the air. It was angry that its clever attack had failed, and even more so that it had been used by its prey in such a way. Now, rage had taken over and all it could see was its prey in front of it. The boar started running and picked up speed quickly, charging directly at Keros with a squeal.

Keros watched as the boar approached, and when it was too close to abandon its charge, he turned and jumped towards the tree. His foot slammed into the tree two meters high, and his leg bent to absorb the impact.

He plunged his knife, that he held with a reverse grip, into the tree so he would have something to hold on to.

*Thud*

*Squeaallll*

The boar slammed into the tree at full bore. One of its tusks had been ripped off from hitting the tree at its full speed, and it was dazed.

Keros immediately pushed off of the tree with his legs and pulled as his knife to free it from the tree. His body began to fall as the knife left the tree, but he was prepared. He lightly kicked the tree and soared toward the boar.

He fell onto the boar and, using the momentum generated by gravity, swung his arm down towards the boar's spine. The knife blade disappeared into the boar's thick hide, causing it to squeal out even louder.

The boar's hind legs collapsed, and Keros quickly rolled away. The knife had managed to connect with its spine and the boar was partially crippled by the attack. It still trashed around and could still pose a threat with its singular tusk, but as long as he didn't get too close there was no danger.

Keros located his spear and retrieved it before returning to the boar. He waited until he could get a clean strike, and stabbed out. The spear pierced the nape of the boar from behind. The boars' struggle ended almost immediately and it took its last breath. He pulled his spear from the boar and staggered back.

He had managed to kill it, but he knew that many factors contributed to him being able to defeat this level two beast. First, its intelligence was fairly low. Second, It had been consumed by rage on its final charge so it didn't take the tree into account during its attack.

He was glad that this beast had such a linear attack pattern, otherwise, he would have paid a high price to face off against it.

Derek appeared from behind a nearby tree and came over. He checked to make sure that the beast was dead before whispering something quietly.

The team appeared shortly after. The boar was hefted up by William, he carried it on his shoulder. The team set out toward the river immediately.

Zimmer fell back into the center of the group again and began chatting with Keros.

"Well done. The ingenuity and improvisation that you displayed were impressive. Those qualities are good to have for a warrior." Zimmer praised as he observed Keros.

Keros had a perpetual frown, and every time he stepped too hard he winced.

"Though, you were careless and kept using the same attack which resulted in you taking a bit of a loss. Be careful, don't underestimate the cunning of beasts. While they might just be evolved animals, they do have a certain level of intelligence and will surprise you often if you aren't prepared. They become more intelligent as they grow in strength." He said before calling out for the team to stop.

He unclipped Keros' bag and put it on the ground. His hands pressed on Keros' back and sides as he observed Keros' reaction.

Keros winced as Zimmer pressed on the left side of his upper back.

"Your ribs are injured. I can't tell if one is broken or just bruised. Either way, we can't do much about it in the wild. Take some of the medicine we prepared for you. It will dull the pain and increase your body's regeneration." Zimmer said after he had examined Keros

Keros did as he was advised and pulled a small cylindrical object out of one of the pouches on his rig. It was a metal injector. He pressed it against the bend in his arm and pressed the button on the butt of the injector, a needle shot into his arm, and injected a thick viscous liquid into his vein.

He felt a cool sensation flow up his arm and begin to flow throughout his body. His pain subsided quickly. He returned the injector to his rig and put his backpack back on before gesturing that he was good to go.

His rib likely wasn't broken. While one's ribs are fragile in comparison to other bones, humans were much more durable since the Genesis.
This fact was the only thing that could console him. If he did have a broken rib then it could pose a serious threat. With too much movement it could puncture his lung and cause it to collapse, he would be screwed then.

The team carried on and soon they heard the flow of water.

They slowed down and planned on how and where they would use the bait. It would be best if they could find traces of a snake slithering around and place the bait close.

They found a few sparse traces of a medium-sized snake within an hour and decided they would try their luck. They would have to settle with using their bait here since they couldn't conveniently carry the heavy boar too far.

They placed the boar around fifteen meters from the river bank and took cover close by. Some hid behind trees, and others in the foliage. Keros took cover farther away and just observed.

They waited for a long while. Patience was needed as a mercenary, even more so in a situation such as this. They would wait for the rest of the day and only move at sunrise the next morning.

Hours passed without any sight of a snake, and the sky grew dark.

The team decided to fall back from the river bank a bit and set up camp some forty meters from it. Everyone began the nightly routine and eased their tension caused by waiting by discussing Keros' performance earlier. Some praised, while others were critical.

Keros had quite the gain from the fight. He had gained valuable experience and also received a lot of advice from his teammates. He didn't let the praise go to his head, as he knew how close the battle had been.

The team split up and most of them began to meditate, including Keros. It took longer than usual to enter meditation because of the pain from his injury, but eventually, he succeeded.

Once again his largest gain was in the skill of his technique. He had quickly become proficient in the first step and even managed to increase his skill in the second step greatly. There were only four steps that he needed to practice, and if he continued at this pace then within a few days he would be able to truly begin cultivating.

Right now he was polishing his skill in each step to lay a strong and solid foundation, later his skill would continue to rise as he meditated and pulled in energy streams.

After his meditation ended he laid down to get some rest. He wasn't on watch tonight so he could take a long rest. Unfortunately, his dreams didn't allow him any comfort.

-

The forest was dark. Keros couldn't move his body much, as he was chained to a tree with his arms bound at his side. In the distance, he could see a hideous creature.

It stood on two legs and had a humanoid shape, but its body was covered in natural armor with many sharp points and spikes on it. The moonlight shined down, illuminating its' visage. Its' face was twisted into a ferocious snarl, with its' jagged teeth glistening with thick saliva. Its' black eyes seemed to be a void that made anyone who looked into them feel absolute terror.

Leaves and twigs crunched oddly beneath its step. Its' body creaked, and a grinding sound heard from its claws clashing against each other. It was walking straight at Keros, with its gaze piercing his soul.

He could feel its' emotions. Hunger, and elation at the juicy meal in its sight.

It slowly picked up speed, each step coming slightly quicker than the one before it. The heaviness of its' steps was conveyed by the sound of its foot slamming the ground.

It reached a full sprint, barrelling straight at Keros with its body tilted forward.

Kero's eyes were wide with fear, and he struggled against his bonds. He screamed out in a juvenile voice, and the chains binding him clanked against each other with a metallic sound. However, his voice was drowned out by the snarls of the monster.

Keros stopped his struggle. He couldn't free himself no matter how he tried, and even if he could, would he be able to escape this monstrosity? No, likely not.

He awaited his fate. He shivered in fear, he could already imagine the pain he would feel as the beast gnawed on his limbs. However, no matter how much fear he felt, he couldn't force his eyes closed.

He was forced to watch as the monster closed the gap.

Suddenly two figures darted out from his left and right. The one on his right slammed into the charging monster. The one on his left flitted between the trees like a phantom. One was large and firm, the other was petite and gentle.

They began to battle with the monster. The large one fought it head-on and held its attention, while the petite figure darted in to attack once or twice before quickly darting back out.

Keros watched on as these two fought to save him, and slowly he began to feel with hope. However, another emotion began to well up within.

He recognized the moves of the large figure, but... Where from?

His mind was hazy, but he was sure that he recognized those moves. The stance, blocks, attacks... He felt like he had used them before... WAIT!

His father. Those were the techniques that his father had taught him.

And that petite figure moved similar to his mother. When she had sparred with his father, he had watched her float around with great agility.

It was his parents, protecting him even in this situation.

0