Broken Word: Chapter 5
484 1 17
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The silver figure stepped up closer towards me, her eyes scanning over my form. And I mean that in a rather literal sense, as a thin beam of light shot out of her eyes and passed over my body.

“There are eight thousand, nine hundred, and sixteen Metong that have chosen the designation of Lyra. However, only one individual matching this designation has disappeared from the Network in recent days. As for the remaining individuals, they have been queried and confirmed that they have had no interactions with a species matching your physical makeup.”

My mind raced as I considered the possibilities behind what Speaker Thorn meant by that. “That… doesn’t seem right. When Mother Lyra approached us, she mentioned that she wanted to bring us into the Network.”

Given that this Metong had already displayed, and even admitted to the ability to read my thoughts, I felt that there was no use in trying to keep it secret. It was one thing to control my words, and even my expressions. However, controlling my thoughts was an entire order of magnitude harder. More to the point… if Mother Lyra really did leave their Network, it was entirely possible that not all Metong shared the same mindset.

“Is that so?” Speaker Thorn blinked slowly, processing the information. “However, simply inviting you to the Network does not seem like an act which would have earned the level of anxiety you are currently displaying. Therefore, I would inquire into the details regarding your encounter, if that would be suitable.”

I took a deep breath, before beginning to explain. Given the way that this Metong had been speaking thus far, I felt it best to be as detailed as possible. “Our ship was defending against a large monster. She said it was one you had designated… XN-769. She appeared and easily slew the beast, claiming that it was common practice for a Metong to show an act of goodwill upon first contact with a new civilization.”

Thorn nodded her head, as if such a thing were natural, urging me to continue. “Afterwards, she introduced herself as the ‘acting Speaker’ of her vessel, Mother Lyra. She expressed her wish for us to join the Network by accepting the Metong into our body, allowing her to plant a device within our brains to read and connect our thoughts to one another.”

“When we refused--” Just as I was getting to the next part, Thorn held a hand out to stop me.

“You are certain that this is the method that she suggested in order to be accepted into the Network? Is it possible that you misunderstood, or that there was an error in translation?”

Hearing her questions, I shook my head with a bitter grin. “I’m sure. She was quite clear that any ‘rebellious thoughts’ had to be put down. And when we refused, she claimed that she was required to exterminate us in order to avoid us spreading ‘false claims’ about the Metongs.”

“I understand. Please hold for a moment while I consult with the relevant authorities. I assure you that this is not the way in which the Metongs conduct business, and it would appear to be a serious offense.” After saying that, Thorn’s body froze, her eyes going unfocused.

“Guys…?” Casey’s voice spoke up over the radio. “Is everything okay over there? It’s been quiet for a while…”

“We’re fine.” Jocelyn spoke back in a hushed tone. “Caesar’s dealing with one of them.”

Casey could be heard gulping. “Do you mean as in ‘dealing’ with them, or…?”

“Talking to them, Case.” Jocelyn rolled her eyes with the faintest of smiles. “Something… seems odd about the situation. How are things on your end?”

I was trying to pay attention to their conversation. However, at that moment Thorn once more began to move, looking at me with interest. “I have confirmed that the missing Lyra was a Class Nine lifeform prior to her disappearance. This represents that she has shed her physical body, and has begun her ascension towards the highest state of being. Of all the Metong, she is one of very few Class Nine lifeforms.”

“However, it would appear that she has decided to establish her own Network in a location unknown to our senses. From your description, she appears to be attempting to directly control those individuals that she comes across in order to spread her prestige.”

“On behalf of the Metong, allow me to apologize for Mother Lyra’s offense. At the same time, I wish to clarify the truth behind our Network, to offset many of your concerns.” I raised a curious brow at her words, assuming that this was a decision reached by whoever she had been in contact with.

“In truth, the Network is a collaboration of races led by the Metong. This much is true. However, that is where the similarity ends in regards to what you were told. We do not force individuals to accept any form of control or monitoring device. Those who accept monitoring devices are criminals undergoing corrective treatment.”

“Instead, we have a single Network Hub city within every colonized world belonging to the Network. Through this city, it is possible to access research materials and various sources of information catalogued throughout the entire Network. This is in an attempt to elevate those allied species to a degree in which they can create a positive contribution.”

“For those civilizations deemed level nine or ten, they hold a special place within the Network. All such civilizations earn a seat within the ruling council of the Network, with the Metong only having one additional vote on matters due to being the founders. We do not seek to oppress our allies, and encourage them to grow. Only through uninhibited growth can they contribute new information to the Network.”

“Finally, regarding those civilizations that do not wish to join. In such instances, there is no need to display any hostilities. We will often leave them with a parting gift to aid their coming years, one deemed appropriate for their level of advancement. Only in the event that the other side attacks first do we assume a hostile stance. It is the belief of the Metong that we should cultivate allies at every opportunity, and eliminate enemies before they can threaten the Network.”

“The Unspoken Word.” I muttered, recalling something that Mother Lyra had mentioned during the chase.

Thorn’s eyes seemed to flash in recognition, or perhaps surprise. “So you have heard this name, as well. This is the ultimate weapon of the Metong. A magical weapon capable of erasing the very existence of a planet, as well as all memory of its former inhabitants from the world. This is the method in which the Metong eliminates enemy civilizations, those that have expressed open hostility to the Network.”

I gave a small shudder as I heard that. Thankfully, Lyra really didn’t have access to that. If it’s as strong as Thorn says, there might not have even been a chance to escape.

From what I had heard so far, I decided that we absolutely must not make enemies with the Metong. There was no doubt that it was possible for Deckan to create equally terrifying weapons in time, but such was a question of the future. In the present, I didn’t even know if we would have the power to resist their ‘ultimate weapon’.

Of course, that didn’t mean we had to be their allies, either. According to her words, there was no harm in simply remaining neutral. Though that would be something for the bigshots back home to decide.

“If it is convenient of me to ask, I do have one question for you, good sir.” Thorn spoke as she swept her eyes over myself and Jocelyn.

“What is it?”

“I would like to enquire about how you arrived on this planet. As I have stated, this is a planet scheduled for large-scale mining. We are currently within the third ring of Metong territory. Normal teleportation effects would not allow you to move from a location outside of our Network radius to this planet. Perhaps, analyzing your method of arrival will allow us to more easily locate the point from which you teleported. In doing so, we may find Mother Lyra, while you may find your crew. I believe this situation would be beneficial to both parties.”

I thought about it, and agreed with her words, but… “In all honesty, we don’t know how we arrived here, either.” I scratched the back of my head in embarrassment. “Our captain gave us an encrypted card, which brought us here.”

Thorn’s eyes flashed once again. “I see. With your permission, I would like to conduct a scan on you within my vessel. This scan will determine the last card effect cast upon your person.”

I squinted in thought, considering it for a brief moment, before shaking my head. “I’ve used a few other cards since then. If item cards count, then even Jocelyn has used some. Casey, our third member, might not have used any yet. And then there’s my mech…”

“I understand.” After saying that, her eyes grew slightly clouded. “I am now speaking with Casey. This is Speaker Thorn. I have reached an understanding with Caesar. In order to assist you in returning to your home, we are able to scan you aboard our vessel. In doing so, we can identify the last card effect cast upon your person.”

“Please, do not be alarmed. To assure you of your safety, we will allow you to remain with your friends during the entire procedure, and the scan is completely non-invasive. I merely wish to receive your consent to bring you aboard to conduct the scan, and would inquire as to whether you have personally used any additional cards since arriving on this world.”

Seconds passed slowly, after which Thorn nodded her head. “Casey has expressed that she accepts these terms, so long as she is not left alone. With your permission, I will be transporting us aboard the orbiting vessel.”

I glanced towards Jocelyn, who hurriedly recalled her familiar and kept it inside her body. The last thing we needed at this point was her soul being fractured if their connection was forcibly cut. Once that was done, I gave a nod towards Thorn.

No sooner had the gesture been made when our surroundings had already changed. We were now standing within a large, silver room. Moreover, Casey was standing next to us, eyes wide in shock. “Caesar, Jocelyn, is that really you?” She asked, looking over cautiously.

“It’s us.” I gave a hollow laugh, before shaking my head. “It looks like the plan is changing.”

After saying that, I cast my sight towards Thorn. “What do we need to do for this scan?”

“You are not required to take any immediate actions.” The speaker told us in a gentle tone. “The scan began the moment we appeared on the vessel. While much of our technology is able to pierce the atmosphere of a planet, the more detailed procedures such as this can only be done locally. For convenience, your vehicle has also been brought aboard, and is within the cargo bay. You may inspect it whenever you feel the need to do so.”

I simply gave a nod, watching Casey and waiting for the results of the scan. It was a few seconds later when Thorn spoke again. “I think I understand… you have truly had a fortuitous encounter, indeed.” There was a bit of awe within Thorn’s voice, which was something completely unseen in our previous conversation.

“Could you explain?” I didn’t know what someone like Thorn would really count as a ‘fortuitous encounter’. However, it had to be related to the card that the captain had given the sisters.

“The card which was used to facilitate your escape is one of the fourth tier. The majority of its components represent a simple, albeit random, spatial translocation. However, there is an addition of an exceedingly rare ‘Fate’ formula within the card. According to the analysis of the vessel’s computers, this is a very powerful card, indeed.”

“The effect of the card is as such. Escape a moment of crisis, and arrive at a location which can allow the caster to potentially resolve the crisis which was previously escaped. Of course, this is still only ‘potentially’, as there was the possibility of you showing hostilities when we appeared. Alternatively, we might not have detected you due to the dense clusters of dimensium.”

“Regardless, this is a card designed to allow one to overturn a fated disaster. The fact that you were brought here likely indicates that there is still a chance to save those individuals that have been attacked by Lyra. From your explanation, she likely wishes to seize control of them, meaning that they will not be killed for some time.”

“Unfortunately… this card does not have preset coordinates. This means that we are unable to trace it back to its casting point. There should be some chance, but… we have no means of allowing you to return home.”

“That way!” Casey and Jocelyn said at once, both of their hands pointing unerringly above their heads.

Seeing the look of utter confusion on Thorn’s face, I took the liberty to explain. “These two serve the Stellar Goddess. Her blessing allows them to find their way home. The direction they’re pointing should lead… a considerable distance. But it would likely take us to a door to our home realm.”

“Is that so… remarkable.” Thorn stared at the two girls, her eyes going blank again. “The direction in which they are pointing does not lead to any major locations within Metong territory that would host a species of your classification. Is it possible that you have arrived from the far side of the galaxy?”

“A bit further than that, I’m afraid.” I shook my head with a small grin. “If I’m understanding things right, we should be from an entirely different universe than this.”

“Explain.” Thorn’s head snapped towards me so fast that her hair whipped around crazily. The concept of interdimensional travel didn’t seem like one that they were aware of yet.

“Where we come from, there is a coalition of worlds. Much like your Network. However, this coalition is made up of worlds from entirely different universes. Each one has its own unique set of physical laws, most of which merged together as the worlds appeared. This universe should also be linked, though it would be linked through a race we know as the March. Mechanical entities like you with a more… rugged appearance.”

“Several different forms of magic originated from some of these worlds. For instance, card magic first originated from my world, Deckan. As you use ‘word’ based terms such as Speaker and the Unspoken Word, I’m assuming your race specializes in runic magic, and has evolved around it?” When she nodded, I gave a slight sigh. “Runic magic originated in a world called Fyor, a multi-layered dungeon world with no true sky.”

“Familiar magic, like that armor Jocelyn had earlier, originated from her world, Kione. And finally, geometric magic originated within a world known as Earth. Each of these magic systems became shared as the universes were connected to one another by the Keeper, using items known as Fairy Rings.”

Thorn patiently listened to my explanation, before giving a subtle nod. “I will be logging this information within the Network. Although it is difficult to believe, it is likely that you will soon have the chance to prove your words to be true.”

After saying that, she turned her head to look at the girls. “This ability of yours, is it allowed to track the path ‘home’ in real-time?” When they nodded their heads, she let out a gentle smile. “Very good. In that case, we will be requiring your assistance. Shortly, we will perform multiple large-scale teleportations. After each one, we will require you to determine the direction, and then use this information to triangulate the coordinates of this ‘Fairy Ring’. With luck, we should be able to get you safely home soon, and make contact with this March race that you speak of.”

17