Broken Word: Chapter 8
533 3 17
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The following three days were spent in an almost unsettling calm. With the weight of the situation looming overhead, I found it difficult to enjoy the hospitality of the Metongs. To help cool my nerves, I would often make my way to the cargo bay and conduct maintenance on my mech, despite the fact that we still did not have the facilities to properly store or charge it.

That isn’t to say that the Metongs weren’t trying to make us feel welcomed. Quite to the contrary, in fact. After the first meeting, the High Mother herself paid a visit once each day to ask Casey and Jocelyn for information. Nothing that could really be seen as a ‘weakness’ of our people, but simple information that anyone of our side would know.

The one time that I stuck around to listen in on their conversations, I found Jocelyn giving a ‘sermon’ to the High Mother about the teachings of the goddesses Ryone, Leowynn, and Accalia. The leader of the Metongs seemed extremely eager to learn about the different deities, as that was something their people were previously unaware of.

To my surprise, none of them asked me any questions regarding my mech. Whether they had already discerned its functions or were stopping themselves from inquiring about foreign military technology, I wasn’t sure. Either way, whenever I went to the cargo bay I would be given ample space to work without disruption.

It was only after the three days were over that Mother Lapis… or rather, Cardinal Lapis now, sent a message over the ship’s intercoms. “Everyone, please be advised, we will be conducting a large-scale teleportation. This is to be the furthest shift ever undertaken in our history. As such, I would like to ask everyone to find somewhere to strap yourselves in.”

“While rare, there is a possibility of spatial disruption in these shifts. As the chance becomes greater with increased distance, it is safe to assume that such an event will occur at this time. Again, everyone please find a safe location to anchor your bodies. Spatial shift will occur in five minutes.”

I looked up from the open panel of my mech’s arm when I heard that, grimacing. Five minutes would be barely enough time for me to make my way back to my guest room. After shaking my head, I slammed shut the panel I was working on and looked around. If there was no guarantee that I’d make it back to my room in time, then I would have to find an alternative.

Sitting in my mech wasn’t a good option, as there were several large containers within the cargo bay. If there was some kind of turbulence, it would be possible for my mech itself to end up crushed. As much as it pained me to admit it, my mech could be replaced. My life, on the other hand, was far more difficult for me to get back.

I made my way out to the hall, looking around. To my surprise, I saw numerous Metong conjuring seats for themselves from the wall of the hallway itself. I walked over towards one that I found familiar, a Speaker that specialized in engineering, and asked if he could provide a chair for myself as well.

Once we were all seated and strapped into the chairs lined against the wall, it wasn’t long before the teleportation activated. I could hear the countdown echoing throughout the ship, before a bright blue light seemed to fall over the entire world.

In the back of my mind, I could hear the groaning of metal, and feel my body shaking in the chair. The straps seemed to tighten, holding me firmly in place. This persisted for roughly thirty seconds, far longer than any of the teleports that the ship went through after we had just come aboard. When it was done, and the blue light faded, Cardinal Lapis spoke again over the intercom.

“We have safely arrived at our destination. Communication efforts will now begin. Estimated time of fifteen minutes before we arrive at our next destination. All crew, please observe your surroundings and report any anomalies. To our passengers, please remain seated for a few more moments, until we can safely confirm that there were no potentially dangerous effects of the shift.”

“Dangerous effects?” I muttered to myself after hearing that, only for the Speaker beside me to nod with a smile.

“When teleporting into unknown space, there is a small possibility that we will move to a position already occupied. If that happened, whatever was in the same position as us would be brought into the ship. For instance… an asteroid or a creature. That’s why we will typically set up beacons to use for these shifts, and erect barriers around them to prevent such things from randomly entering.”

I gave a nod of understanding when I heard that. With just how vast space was, it would no doubt be unlikely for us to encounter such an event. It was possible to go billions of miles between two different lifeforms.

And sure enough… “All passengers may now rise. The ship has been confirmed safe. Passenger Caesar, please report to the bridge at your earliest convenience.”

Standing up, I offered a nod towards my Speaker acquaintance, using the guest bracelet to help me navigate my way to the bridge of the ship. Once there, I found Cardinal Lapis and Speaker Thorn waiting for me. The Cardinal nodded her head in greeting, gesturing me closer. “We have received a reply from the March. They wish to speak with a member of the crew from the Emergence before any further actions can be taken.”

Once she said that, I gave a firm nod. “Do they have a ship in the area?” It had only been a couple of minutes since we arrived, so for them to respond so quickly meant that they must be positioned somewhere fairly close. But given that the March was an interstellar civilization itself, there would no doubt be numerous ships in the vicinity of their homeworld’s system.

“They have three vessels within our communication range. Any further, and we would have to bolster the system.” Cardinal Lapis explained calmly, gesturing for me to sit in a chair that she conjured from the floor, directly next to her own seat. After I had sat down, she gave a nod towards one of the officers of the bridge.

A moment later, a projection appeared in front of the two of us. The figure within had sharp, angled features that starkly contrasted the gentle curves of the Metong. Although this was my first time personally seeing one of the March, they did match the descriptions that I had heard. Small, life-size versions of giant mechs, with this one having black and white tones to its metal exterior.

The golem on the other end of the conversation held up a card to its mouth, before Speaker Thorn shook her head, standing next to the Cardinal. “That will not be needed, general. We have a translation spell embedded in our communication software. You may speak freely.”

“...Understood.” The golem spoke plainly, lowering the card that it had prepared. I heard a faint sound like static beneath the voice, yet could thankfully still understand what was being said. “Then, I would like to ask the kitsune present to identify himself.”

“Fox Troop Six, Caesar Burns, officer aboard the Emergence.” I introduced myself in a professional tone, having heard that the personalities of the March were as rigid as their appearance.

There was a moment of silence before the golem’s eyes flashed. “Your appearance matches the records provided by Deckan. Understood. I shall now inform you of the situation regarding the Emergence.”

I leaned forward in the seat, eagerly awaiting this news. However, as he spoke, I couldn’t help but grow concerned. “As of forty-two hours ago, there has been no contact from the Emergence. At the present moment, the only known incident report originates from your side.”

I glanced down towards the floor, working my mind to process that. Naturally, nobody else would be able to use the trade platform to report the problem. However, what about normal communication? I thought back, remembering the almost paranoid way that Captain Prestor had prepared to overcome her ‘fated danger’.

If I were in her position, and was aware of what Mother Lyra wanted, the first thing that I would do would be to delete the navigation data of the ship, and then destroy the communications system. The latter could surely be repaired in time, but deleting the navigation data would make it incredibly hard to find the way back to Deckan, without using Leowynn’s method of finding the way home.

Assuming that the captain had taken those measures, it wouldn’t be odd for them to not have any contact with the ship. Her action of allowing the crew to break away with the escape pods would have simply been a distraction so that she could sabotage the ship herself. And yet, she had purposely revealed the existence of those pods on an intercepted channel, saying that she would buy time for them to escape.

That action drew Mother Lyra’s interest towards the pods, and us as well. Though thankfully, we had the ‘fate’ card to escape before she was able to make a move against us.

“General, in order to fulfill our oath, we must take our vessel to cross over into the realm of Deckan.” Speaker Thorn spoke more passionately now. “The information provided suggests that one of our own has gone rogue, and it will take our greatest weapon to defeat them. This is the only method we could deduce that would allow us to save the remaining crew members of the Emergence.”

The golem on the other end of the call fell silent. It was hard to tell if he was considering the matter, or simply relaying the conversation to another individual. However, after a few moments, he once again spoke. “It is not impossible for us to assist you. The technology to allow your ship to pass does exist. However, I do not see what there is for the Aquilo March to gain from granting your ship access to this trade passage.”

Speaker Thorn’s smile blossomed across her face. “General, I believe I can bring forward a suitable deal.” Whereas the Metongs seemed more willing to freely share their resources among themselves, the March had a far more capitalistic mindset. One that Speaker Thorn had promptly identified and prepared to take advantage of.

“The Metong Network has accumulated a wealth of knowledge that we would be willing to share with the March. Furthermore, this vessel was originally designed for mining purposes, and carries a large amount of valuable ores. I would like to remain on your world to handle further negotiations. In the meantime… I believe five hundred tons of dimensium would more than suffice for the use of your technology?”

There was a silver glow to the golem’s eyes when he heard that. “The message has been passed to Aquilo Prime. Five hundred tons in exchange for allowing your ship to enter Deckan’s territory. As this is the price you have proposed, we shall agree to it readily.”

If I had to guess, they would have settled for a far lesser amount than that. Speaker Thorn probably even realized as such before she made the offer. However, as was the policy with the Metongs, the first meeting with another race should always be accompanied with an act of goodwill. When encountering a merchant-minded race like the March, the greatest act of goodwill was in fact a beneficial deal.

17