Black and White: Chapter 6
1.2k 6 16
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

With a smile, I swept my gaze out the window, looking at the city that spanned the horizon. It had been fifteen years now, since my original descent into this world from the Realm of Eternity, and much had changed in that time. Not just from what I had done, but all across the world. The advent of new technologies and techniques, new methods to grow stronger. In comparison, my little corner of the world seemed just so small and insignificant.

Yet, I had played my part as well. The Martial Furnace had allowed the Martial Spirits to begin increasing their population again, which had begun to stagnate ever since the invaders had slain most of their numbers. While the Keeper provided new blood to build them back up… by that time, most people were leaning towards growing through their own strength.

“Mister Lorient, I’m heading back now!” A voice called out to me, causing me to lower my eyes and look out at the courtyard below. A red-haired boy waved his arms at me, holding a staff in one hand. This was the first child that had been born through as the result of my pills. Because of this, his parents had decided to name him after me, calling him Thane Bloodtide.

I gave him a faint nod, smiling towards him. When he turned around, his body burst into a bloody cloud, fading into the air. It was never quite comfortable to watch that, as it looked too similar to someone being slain… but I had mostly adjusted to the unique method of travel developed by the Martial Spirits.

Queen Saruko had not been entirely happy with my decision to release the formula for both the Marital Pill and Martial Furnace to the Empress of Bloodhaven. However, her opinion changed once Scarlet responded. Bloodhaven would purchase the pills to relieve the dying blood at market value, but their stance was entirely different when it came to the other products.

Eight hundred years, that was what Scarlet promised. Eight hundred years of an alliance between Bloodhaven and Hanbei, enough to ensure that several generations of Yuki’s descendants would enjoy the benefits. And during this time, Bloodhaven would regularly supply them with bloodforged equipment to help increase the nation’s security.

Speaking of national security… Yuki managed to uncover quite a bit more corruption within her ranks than I had initially expected. Two different nobles planning to lure monsters into their lands to cover up how they kidnapped and enslaved the people, and several others guilty of lesser acts such as overtaxing or abusing their authority.

During this time, I had been in regular contact with the Goddess of Ki. As it turns out, the bulk of my karma from my last life was likely due to the medicine I created to help mothers unable to give birth. That was the conclusion that the two of us came to, when we saw how my karma was increasing every time a new Martial Spirit was born using the pills I freely gave them.

Still, their population was simply too low. After fifteen years, Scarlet had yet to tell me that my karma had been fully saturated. I heard my door opening, and turned around to see the Empress of Bloodhaven herself standing there with a smile. Even after fifteen years, she still appeared in the form of a child.

“Good afternoon, Mister Lorient.” She greeted me respectfully, stepping inside and closing the door. This month’s shipment of bloodforged equipment should have just arrived, so she came over to talk while inspecting my karma. This had become a fairly regular routine for the two of us, so I gave her a small smile.

“Thank you for coming by, Empress.” I nodded, turning to fully face her. “How have things been going on your end?”

She puffed her cheeks out at my words, crossing her arms. “I told you that you can call me Scarlet now, you know? It’s not like we’re strangers, and you’ve already done so much for us.”

I shook my head, chuckling softly. “Just because you like to look like a child doesn’t mean you should keep acting like one, even in private. You never know who might be watching.” I myself was a prime example of that, as I had watched Yuki growing up from the Realm of Eternity.

Scarlet’s shoulders sagged as she let out a sigh. Slowly, she stood straight, once more looking like the Empress she was. “Things have been going well. More and more people are starting to use your pills. Of the first generation, those that matured more quickly than others have also started to find partners.”

“There’s not a problem with the second generation, is there?” I asked in concern, that being one of the things I had initially worried over when creating the pills. If the influence of the pill lingered in the newborn spirit, it might cause defects over the course of a few generations.

However, Scarlet shook her head. “I inspected each pair before they made their union. The pill’s power was naturally refined by them as they grew up, and has not left any traces within them. Additionally, the second generation was born safely.”

After she said that, a warm smile tugged at her lips. “They’re calling it the Lineage of the Pill Sage, though mostly as a joke.” My eyes went wide in shock as I heard that.

“I’m no sage.” I refuted hurriedly. “I only know a few tricks to help make things easier.” Even to this day, I had never revealed the details of the spell I used in conjunction with my Mental Archive.

Scarlet, however, shrugged her shoulders. “A sage is simply a man of great wisdom. Knowing those tricks and putting them to use properly… doesn’t that fit the definition? I think it’s fine to let people call you that, personally.” As she said that, a trace of sadness briefly flashed across her features.

“I’m just sorry that you won’t be around to see the second generation yourself…” I looked curiously towards Scarlet when she said that, before I felt my body stiffen, with my ki starting to flow in reverse, rushing towards my heart. I let out a choked gasp as I stared at her, wondering why she was suddenly doing this. This seemed… too out of character for her.

“It’s time.” She muttered softly as I felt something collapse in my chest, knowing that my heart had just burst. Right now, I was being kept alive only because of her power. As soon as that faded… so would I.

“Why…?” I looked at her with shaking eyes, barely able to gasp out the single word.

“It’s finally happened.” She walked over to me, gently taking my hand in hers. “Your karma, I mean. But… if you told someone to kill you… your karma would be tainted through that command, and you couldn’t achieve your goal. The only way is to let you die naturally… or to do it without waiting for your permission.”

Finally understanding what she meant, my body started to relax. I felt the warmth of her hands, and how she seemed to be trembling softly. “Don’t worry… I’ll take the full brunt of the backlash from this. My karma has long since reached a point of harmony, neither light nor dark. This won’t be able to tip the scales. So go… be with your love. You’re free now.”

I could feel her power withdrawing from my body. She had only wanted to keep me alive long enough to explain, so that I wouldn’t hate her for her decision. Still, it was clear that she was still feeling guilty about this.

Using what strength I could muster, I lifted my free hand to stroke across her cheek. A blood-red tear fell upon my thumb as I smiled, warm liquid trickling past my lips. “It’s okay, Scarlet… thank you.” I heard a gasp as my vision began to go blurry, mixtures of red and brown fading into black.

You have died.

Haahh… it’s been a while since I saw that message. I thought to myself, my spirit pulling from my mortal body. Scarlet still stood by my corpse, holding my hand against her cheek. Eventually, she lowered my hand, resting it on my lap, before placing the other hand there as well. Afterwards, she wiped her face, turning to look at my spirit.

“I’ll send you on your way.” She muttered softly. “Your karma is still fully intact, so there won’t be any problems. You can return to the palace as soon as you arrive.” After she said that, she held a hand out to her side, a small pill appearing in it. I blinked in surprise when I saw that pill, recognizing it as the one that I had given to Scarlet on our first meeting.

“I thought you might appreciate this.” She said with a warm, yet sad smile. Her fingers pinched the pill, crushing it as a small burst of spiritual energy sprang forth. Under her control, the spiritual energy formed into a vortex, expanding until a large gateway had formed.

“Go… I’ve set the portal to take you to the gathering point of lost souls. I had to visit the Underworld a few times these last few years to memorize it.” As she said that, she offered me a final smile before closing her eyes.

After thanking her once again, I stepped through the portal she had created, watching as it closed behind me. It was hard to believe that she had kept that pill for fifteen years, only to use it at that moment. Even more surprising was that the spiritual energy within the pill had not dissipated after all that time.

After passing through the gate, I looked around, seeing myself standing within a vast plaza. Numerous souls had taken to forming various lines, each line headed by what appeared to be a daeva, a servant of Irena. Having been here once before, I was familiar with the sight. This was where new souls were processed, their identities confirmed.

Once a soul had been sent here, they would be directed to any family members that were similarly registered. By my last count, there should be… over a hundred sites like this, constantly processing souls as they came in. However, I didn’t have to wait for that.

Thane Lorient. A familiar voice spoke into my mind. The voice of the Realm of Eternity was calling to me. You have gained permission to enter the Realm of Eternity.

As it confirmed my expectations, a golden staircase appeared at my feet, leading up and into the dark sky. After giving a long sigh, I resolved myself to my hike, remembering how long it had taken me the first time I came here. “Would it kill you to add an elevator?” I muttered thoughtlessly. Granted, I had no intention of making another deal with the palace for something so minor. I had already been through the process once, and did not know if I would be able to build up that degree of karma once again.

There were gasps from around me, the peace of the processing lines disturbed by the appearance of the staircase. However, the daeva nearby blocked their way, knowing that it was useless to interfere with someone’s ascension.

Silently, I began to walk, my feet climbing the stairs as I stared ahead. It was hard to tell exactly how long I walked alone on those stairs. Time had a funny way of getting away from you when there was nothing nearby to use to measure it. All I could do was count the steps themselves, ten thousand in total.

When I arrived at the top, and saw the gate of the heavenly palace waiting for me, Julian was standing outside. She sported a small smile on her face and bowed to me. “Congratulations, Thane. You have completed your end of the promise made with the Realm of Eternity.”

After saying that, she stepped aside, the golden gates opening on their own. Inside the palace, there was mostly silence. After all, the ‘residents’ of the palace were far outnumbered by the ‘servants’. However, thanks to this deal, people would be less likely to fall from grace in the future.

As I walked forward, I grabbed Julian’s hand in passing, causing her to walk with me as if it were natural. “Julian…?”

“Yes, Thane?” She asked with that same smile, exactly how I remembered her when I first made this deal.

“Irena told me…” When I said those words, she froze, her eyes shaking. I didn’t pull her with me, simply standing there with my hand holding hers.

“I...I’m sorry, Thane.” She muttered quietly. “I’m not allowed to…” When she said that, I turned around and pulled her into an embrace.

“I know… you’re still a servant of this place. But… you’ll always be my Julian. Nothing will ever change that again.” I whispered to her, feeling her arms wrapping around my waist.

“Welcome home, Thane…”

16